The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2019, 11:17 AM   #121
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
There is one thing better about the rolex as compared to the speedie - is a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryj View Post
So since I’ve always been in rolexes, to all you speedy owners and (ENABLERS) how much do you get your speedy wet? I see stories all over the place I know omega says 50m but like I said I’m used to rolexes being “waterproof”
You swim shower wash cars and the likes or no?
Interesting question. I got my speedmaster pro before I got my GMT II Pro. I never really thought about getting the speedie wet, because like 99% of the dive watch buyers, I rarely if ever get my watches wet. I dont wear them in the shower, the pool, or the beach. If I need to clean the speedie, I use qtips and a minimal amount of water.

The watch got absolutely drenched at Universal Studios on a ride. I had no idea that I would get that wet on a ride, but it happened. The watch works fine thankfully. However, it was at that exact moment that I decided to buy a Rolex. With the speedmaster, I must have checked it 100 times to be sure it was ok after the water exposure. I'd wear my rolex on that ride all day long without thinking twice mostly because of one design element that is FAR superior to the speedmaster. Its the screw down crown. It makes a Rolex highly resistant to water and the omega speedmaster doesn't have it!
JDsnewwatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:01 AM   #122
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The lack of water resistance is the one and only knock on that watch I can think of. Just keep in mind it was never meant to be a diver and the lack of water resistance means you don't have to go around unscrewing the pushers and crown everytime you need to use them. It's nice to just reach over and hit the button when you need to time something on the fly, rather than having to unscrew it first.

It has I think 50m water resistance which essentially means it is splash proof but don't swin with it. Unless it gets completely submerged you shouldn't have a problem.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 09:09 AM   #123
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
I'm always amazed by people who think you can't submerge a Speedy. It is 50 meters water resistant.

You can swim with it without an issue.
You can eat it in the shower without an issue.
You can wash it clean and scrub it with a toothbrush without an issue.

Sure, don't use the pushers under water. Will there be "stories" of people and ingress? Of course there will, just like there are four divers watches. Provided the desks are not degraded it will be fine. But this sentence is the same for and water resistant watch.

If your paranoia stops you from getting it wet, fine. But also realise that these are probably also going to take their watch off before they move their arm faster than 5km per hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 09:15 AM   #124
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
I prefer Rolex
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:01 AM   #125
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
I'm always amazed by people who think you can't submerge a Speedy. It is 50 meters water resistant.

Sure, don't use the pushers under water. Will there be "stories" of people and ingress? Of course there will, just like there are four divers watches. Provided the desks are not degraded it will be fine. But this sentence is the same for and water resistant watch.

If your paranoia stops you from getting it wet, fine. But also realise that these are probably also going to take their watch off before they move their arm faster than 5km per hour.

50 meters water resistance is the lowest rating they can give a watch that has any sort of resistance to water. Yes you can PROBABLY swim with it, but unless you get it pressure tested every year or two I would avoid it - not worth the risk.

The weak points are the non-screw down pushers and crown. Keep in mind with a manual wind watch your are using the crown all the time. Gaskets wear out over time. Additionally if you accidentally push down one of those pushers you are giving water a path in.

Rain ok, rinsing off and cleaning your Moonwatch ok, but I would personally not risk taking it swimming. Take your dive watches swimming, they were built for it.

samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:04 AM   #126
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:

Agree.
This is what Omega says. I figure they would know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6573B7F7-3F4A-40E3-94D4-0346ADFFCE7F.jpeg (152.3 KB, 60 views)

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:28 AM   #127
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
50 meters water resistance is the lowest rating they can give a watch that has any sort of resistance to water. Yes you can PROBABLY swim with it, but unless you get it pressure tested every year or two I would avoid it - not worth the risk.

The weak points are the non-screw down pushers and crown. Keep in mind with a manual wind watch your are using the crown all the time. Gaskets wear out over time. Additionally if you accidentally push down one of those pushers you are giving water a path in.

Rain ok, rinsing off and cleaning your Moonwatch ok, but I would personally not risk taking it swimming. Take your dive watches swimming, they were built for it.

Water will ingress a worn out seal. This is relevant to a Speedy as it is for a dive watch. The same at appropriate depths. The crown isn't going to push OUT accidentally but can be left not pushed in. This can also happen on a screw down crown. I've never accidentally pushed the stop or reset of a stopwatch out of the water so I don't think it's going to happen in the shower or a dip in the pool. Added to this we already have designated DIVE watches that also have chrono complications. For most of these, you have the same conditions, don't operate in the water. A divers watch is tested to a min depth (ISP) based on the pressure increasing as the watch goes deeper. If you're at all worried, regular servicing to check the decay of seals is enough.

Not wanting to take the RISK is obviously your own decision, but please, can we all refrain from saying that the Speedy CAN'T go on water.

Old 22 August 2019, 11:29 AM   #128
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
Agree.

This is what Omega says. I figure they would know.

He's a doctor, he should know!

Old 22 August 2019, 01:13 PM   #129
Rotaz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Water will ingress a worn out seal. This is relevant to a Speedy as it is for a dive watch. The same at appropriate depths. The crown isn't going to push OUT accidentally but can be left not pushed in. This can also happen on a screw down crown. I've never accidentally pushed the stop or reset of a stopwatch out of the water so I don't think it's going to happen in the shower or a dip in the pool. Added to this we already have designated DIVE watches that also have chrono complications. For most of these, you have the same conditions, don't operate in the water. A divers watch is tested to a min depth (ISP) based on the pressure increasing as the watch goes deeper. If you're at all worried, regular servicing to check the decay of seals is enough.

Not wanting to take the RISK is obviously your own decision, but please, can we all refrain from saying that the Speedy CAN'T go on water.

Thanks for the detailed description

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 09:48 AM   #130
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I'd take the speedy too
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote