The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 August 2019, 11:59 AM   #31
DTap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
Yes the tool I linked from esslinger has the 1.3mm tip for jubilee and 1.7mm for the oyster bracelets...it’s an exact fit for both bracelets.

Awesome thanks!

Now, if I can only get a blro to size...
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:06 PM   #32
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTap View Post
Awesome thanks!

Now, if I can only get a blro to size...

The blro is a great reference, I’m sure you’ll be able to land one soon.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:19 PM   #33
Walts
"TRF" Member

Is the1.3 blade on the esslinger screwdriver the correct size for the lady's jubilee and president bands ? Thanks
Walts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:33 PM   #34
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I actually just made this video:

https://ashtontracy.ca/2019/08/21/br...ewed-bracelet/

It definitely will help.
Old 22 August 2019, 12:43 PM   #35
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
If you aren't very technically minded I would suggest buying the Rolex tool. If you prefer to have options, I suggest buying a set of screwdrivers. Out od the box, the 1.6mm screwdriver will not work. It needs the end to be stoned or filed down to fit the slot correctly. The screwdriver doesn't need to be hollow ground to not mark, it just needs to be adjusted correctly.

A full set of screwdrivers will give you much more versatility. Also, the 0.1mm difference in blade tip is fairly inconsequential.
Old 22 August 2019, 12:50 PM   #36
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Your husband might have a screwdriver that works.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:54 PM   #37
CptCanuck
"TRF" Member

It is actually very easy to do this yourself. Watch a few videos on youtube.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
CptCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:06 PM   #38
rl168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Loctite 222 (purple)
Thanks!
rl168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:06 PM   #39
TheDon2000
"TRF" Member

Sizing can be done at home, but if I'm feeling lazy, I have a lovely local watch maker, small shop but the guy is a wizard and was Rolex certified up until he got tired of playing their circus games to keep this "Certification". He treats my watches like they're his.

FYI, if any AD pressurizes me on where I bought it and says anything other than "Oh okay" when I say elsewhere can lick the bottom of my shoes, quite frankly.
Old 22 August 2019, 01:20 PM   #40
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My recommendation is to pick up this tool and do it yourself. I don’t trust the ADs to not butcher the screws in my bracelet, learned my lesson the hard way on a Sub.

https://www.esslinger.com/horofix-ge...djusting-tool/
I have this tool and it fits perfectly. I've used a standard 1.6mm hollow ground on 6-digit Oyster bracelets, and this tool fits better. It is 1.7mm and the blade is the perfect width. Yes it is pricey, but a fraction of the cost of the watch. I also have the Bergeon 'tweezer' tool for spring bar removal. Another good tool, but pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezler View Post
As always, most people here have suggested the 1.6 mm screwdriver. In the past, a very few have suggested that 1.7 is the correct size, but those few are some of the most experienced and knowledgeable members here. I've always wondered about this.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
1.7mm for 6-digit Oyster sport bracelets. 1.3mm for 6-digit Jubilee. I've also used the 1.3mm side for a DJ41 Jubilee and again this tool fits perfectly. Since the Jubilee screw heads are smaller than the Oyster, a good fit with the screwdriver is more important.

One other good tip... take a lighter and heat up the thread side of the screws you plan to remove for 4-5 seconds. It will soften up the loctite and the screws will take less force to back out. This is easier on the screw head and the threads. It might leave a little soot but it wipes right off.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 03:28 PM   #41
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Local AD should be able to do it. Just go during the week as it's likely to be slower and they shouldn't have a problem

Or get the tool and do it yourself.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 04:04 PM   #42
delboylee
"TRF" Member

A friendly AD will do it free of charge

One WOS tried to charge me £60 before !
delboylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:27 AM   #43
Fuerdai
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many Rolexes
The AD’s understand they couldn’t secure one for you so you had to go to secondary market. I had to get a BLNR from grey dealer and when I took it into my AD, they first shook their head at the premium I paid but they even gave it to their in-house appraiser so they did an official appraisal on it too so I could have it for my records. Of course they gave it a retail value on appraisal though, not market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fuerdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:45 AM   #44
ALF61
"TRF" Member

If you have a relationship with an AD, I would take it there. They will treat you just as if you purchased from another AD. There might be a fee to pay, but that is right. I would only do it myself if I was confident enough to do it right without ruining something else, it has happenned to me with a bezel change on five digits until I learned to do it right, but it cost me a spring and some labor.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 04:45 AM   #45
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Where to get your grey market Rolex sized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
If you have a relationship with an AD, I would take it there. They will treat you just as if you purchased from another AD. There might be a fee to pay, but that is right. I would only do it myself if I was confident enough to do it right without ruining something else, it has happenned to me with a bezel change on five digits until I learned to do it right, but it cost me a spring and some labor.

I purchased a watch from another AD and went to one closer to me to have it sized. No issues or fees - they only ask that you drop by during the weekday since it it slower. They don't want to be helping you and potentially losing a sale or potential customer on the weekends when there is more traffic.

If in doubt - you can call the AD before hand just to make sure they're willing to do it before making the trip over to visit

Good service is important. They might not have made your business on that piece but a positive interaction on a visit could potentially earn your business in the future.

Even in the current hot market - this SHOULD be the mentality of these guys.
Old 23 August 2019, 05:29 AM   #46
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphora001 View Post
Now I have the task of sizing it.?
Do it yourself? I find this hard to comprehend, a man so impractical he cannot use a screwdriver to do the most basic of 'tasks'. Surely this is not you?
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 05:35 AM   #47
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
Do it yourself? I find this hard to comprehend, a man so impractical he cannot use a screwdriver to do the most basic of 'tasks'. Surely this is not you?

I've sized many of my bracelets but preferred to drop by the AD with my YG DD40 honestly because I was a little neurotic and didn't want to fuck it up. On a few of my stainless pieces - I didn't care as much
Old 23 August 2019, 05:42 AM   #48
a_plus1234
"TRF" Member

In my kitchen with a screwdriver and some loctite purple
a_plus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 05:50 AM   #49
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Size it yourself
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 06:04 AM   #50
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Go into any authorized Rolex dealer. It's really none of their business where you got it. If they push you and you don't want to have a drawn out conversation, tell them you bought it on vacation.

Better yet buy the 1.6mm tool and the Loctite you need.
Don't you need a special tool to fine size within the clasp? The links are nothing any correct size screwdriver will work.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 06:07 AM   #51
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I'd just do it yourself, save the hassle, and have that nice feeling that comes with a do it yourself job. I am horrible with tools and it is extremely easy. Also, you can adjust the bracelet exactly how you like it. There are different ways of getting a bracelet to fit but getting it just right takes some experimenting.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 06:33 AM   #52
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, this forum is amazing. So many feedback. Thanks guys!
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 06:37 AM   #53
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
8.5 years ago when I got my sub I went to an AD for sizing and they refused. I then went to Lowe’s and bought a small screw driver set and did it myself. Haven’t looked back
Old 23 August 2019, 06:48 AM   #54
ddubb
"TRF" Member

Hey OP, what everyone else said about doing it yourself. Being able to size your own bracelet is more than convenient. I do all my own: oyster, jubilee, and president.

Couple bits of advice tho before you go at it (not sure if this was pointed out above)...

1. Gently warm up the screws you intend to unscrew first. This will help to loosen the existing loctite. I use a hairdryer on low or just a cup of hot water. Just dip and hold the bracelet in the hot water.

2. After you have ensured you have the correct screwdriver, as per the advice above, when you first begin to unscrew the screw, I find that it’s best to apply some good downward pressure on the screwdriver while unscrewing. That keeps the driver head snug while breaking the loctite and helps to prevent marring the screw head. If you’re too light with the screwdriver pressure the driver will pop out of the screw and damage it.

3. When returning the screw into place, first give the screw a couple counterclockwise rotations until you feel the screw fall into the threads. Keeps you from over-eagerly stripping the threads.

Hope all this helps. And of course, if you need it sized today and can’t wait to buy a screwdriver, go to an AD and make sure they have the on-staff watchmaker make the adjustment. Don’t let a sales person anywhere near your watch with a screwdriver.

Good luck!
ddubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 06:49 AM   #55
soflonative
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve purchased two grey market watches over the years and have no issues going into an AD to have it resized. If it was a new watch I would tell them I received as a gift from a relative or from work. If it was a vintage watch I would say I received from a relative.
Old 23 August 2019, 06:52 AM   #56
scranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII, DD, Daytona
Local non-AD jeweler did mine with no problem.
scranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 08:45 AM   #57
Trepang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsnewwatch View Post
Walk in to any upscale jewelry store and ask if they do watch link sizing (yes, they all do). Pay the 25 dollars and they will size it for you. They don't need to sell Rolexes to do this type of work. In fact, if they don't, they will actually be NICE TO YOU! Im not kidding!
This. I went to a local high end, custom jeweler where we had bought some of my wife's jewelry at. They only allowed one of the owners do Rolex sizing. Very nice guy. Complimented me on the watch and sized it for $20. I ended up going back a couple of days later and he removed another link for free. Not brain surgery.
Trepang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 08:59 AM   #58
exador
Banned

Take the watch to the very same AD that told you there was a 10 year wait for the GMT
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:04 AM   #59
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
My AD was lazy and removed the links from only one side of the clasp. Therefore it looked lopsided.

I have done all the sizing myself since then and bought the necessary tools.

I would recommend doing it yourself and if you are worried about scratches or slipping when applying the torque, get some clear wrap or some tape (non-sticky).
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:15 AM   #60
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Don’t just take it to any AD. I’ve read horrific stories about watch getting butchered.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote