The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 August 2019, 03:24 AM   #31
uddind
Banned

Speedmaster sapphire sandwich is amazing.. Better than the OP. To me OP is sub par you might as well s0emd extra to get a datejust.
uddind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 04:18 AM   #32
Icehockeyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer ii
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucassith View Post
For sure buddy, almost every of these were gifts from my dad, the IWC that I sold, I bought with my money back I december. I’m out of home and don’t have a pic of my Tudor... but the other three are here to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondered how a 15 year old would get such a collection, now we know.

Icehockeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 04:38 AM   #33
yran
Banned

Both watches are awesome but I think an Omega is preferred. Save money and buy something you will comfortable wearing around your friends.
yran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 05:11 AM   #34
lucassith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehockeyboy View Post

love watches since kid, have always asked money in my birthday and Christmas to save and buy watches....

lucassith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 05:43 AM   #35
Adam Brian
"TRF" Member

Hey mate,

I am around the same age as you (14) and have both a OP 36 and a Seamaster. I would definitely suggest the Omega if you want to go under the radar, and for the price you get more features with the Omega compared to getting a Rolex. I love them both though, so either watch would be great!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Adam Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 05:50 AM   #36
uddind
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Brian View Post
Hey mate,

I am around the same age as you (14) and have both a OP 36 and a Seamaster. I would definitely suggest the Omega if you want to go under the radar, and for the price you get more features with the Omega compared to getting a Rolex. I love them both though, so either watch would be great!

Wow the world has gone crazy! I remember I was trading football stickers at 14! Never in my mind I would care about watches. Maybe some cheap casio
uddind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 06:52 AM   #37
skiahh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, X-33
Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
The Omega Speedmaster is not water resistant, I will go for the Rolex OP 39 white, and put my watch in a nato strap to go under the radar. Do not tell your friends about your watch because the envy is the mother of the human race. May be a tudor black bay 58 is a good option to go even more under the radar.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I know the water resistance bothers me as well. I mean there are some that think for basic swimming as long as it is serviced regularly can be ok. I’m not comfortable taking that risk however as I have a sub (16610) and Daytona (116520) for that. If price is a concern, 5 digit subs and explorer I can be had for “reasonable” prices. The Tudor gmt would and should be considered as well as it is under the radar, has a date and gmt function and is water tight.

Quote:
Here in Brazil I will not use a lot, just in some special occasions, the water resistant of the Speddy bother me, I can’t go to the pool with it?? I have a dream of buying a Rolex, but the prices are crazy, I have a currently collection of a Breitling Aerospace, Tag Heuer Calibre S and a Tudor Prince 31mm. Don’t know what to do... which one looks better in a 15 year old boy??

I'm confused. Omega's website says the Speedmaster Professional is water resistant to 50m/167'. That's plenty for casual swimming and water activities.
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 07:00 AM   #38
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Happy to see a young watch lover here!

Given what you already have, I’d get a white dial Oyster Perpetual. It’s a great watch - would also look good on a nato strap as someone else mentioned
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 07:56 AM   #39
lucassith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
Happy to see a young watch lover here!

Given what you already have, I’d get a white dial Oyster Perpetual. It’s a great watch - would also look good on a nato strap as someone else mentioned

Have talked with my AD, and he have the blue version of it, beautiful watch...

Old 22 August 2019, 08:55 AM   #40
lucassith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Brian View Post
Hey mate,

Hey mate, good to see someone of my age here!!! Hello!
The Omega is a more “complete” watch absolutely, my only doubt is about the Rolex name, that is more reliable imo, don’t know which one to pick, really thinking....
Any thoughts of this blue dial version?

Old 22 August 2019, 09:40 AM   #41
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
I'm confused. Omega's website says the Speedmaster Professional is water resistant to 50m/167'. That's plenty for casual swimming and water activities.

I know, but there is lots of mixed info about this and the pushers are not screw down, just perhaps guarded by a rubber seal. If they accidentally got bumped, it could fail quite easily. I mean some have reported swimming too. Some feel the 50m water resistance really translates to hand washing. It is a bit misleading, but enough for me personally not to mess with it as I have others. I may be wrong here, but enough to make me nervous, and I’m not one to pamper my watches at all.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 09:50 AM   #42
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
If Rolex is your favorite brand and you are looking for a weekend watch, go with the OP. Being a teenager that does teenager things, an OP will hold up better.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 10:07 AM   #43
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Rolex is Rolex. Get a Rolex.

Otherwise you will have an Omega and still want a Rolex.

Also get it insured.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 10:22 AM   #44
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello guys, thinking in picking a new watch, it will be my grail watch so far. I’m thinking about the Omega Speedmaster Professional, that’s is gonna cost to me around $4700 brand and new (lower price because of my AD), or I’m thinking to buy my first Rolex, that would be a Rolex Oyster Perpetual White or Blue Dial. I live in Brazil, it’s not a very safe country that you can wear your watches safely, this would more a travel watch and a weekend too. I’m 15 years old and thought that the Omega would be “younger” and better for my age. What do you guys think about it?

Hey kid. Get a Sub. cheers.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 10:24 AM   #45
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello guys,. I live in Brazil, it’s not a very safe country that you can wear your watches safely, this would more a travel watch and a weekend too. I’m 15 years old and thought that the Omega would be “younger” and better for my age. What do you guys think about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Finally, I'm ignorant about Brazil, but if you genuinely don't feel safe to wear an expensive watch, then forget the mechanicals and buy a G-Shock. They're way cooler, more accurate, a hundred times cheaper, more durable and you won't care much if it gets nicked.
No need tobe an expert Sal. You think the other, let's say, 90% would be happy?
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 10:27 AM   #46
escobar144
Banned

Watch: Submariner/DJ 41
I had and wore an omega speedy pro for about a year and a half. I ended up selling it and got the OP39. I understand the importance of the speedy and I can see why people would choose it over the OP39. But to me you just cant beat a rolex. I know it doesnt make sense. But there is something about buying your first rolex that just cant be duplicated. Seeing as your 15 tho I would probably gofor an omega first. im 28 and still feel too young to be wearing my rollie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rhodium.jpg (249.4 KB, 102 views)
escobar144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 10:43 AM   #47
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Quote:

This is the one!!! Beautiful

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 10:50 AM   #48
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehockeyboy View Post

Who cares mate, if his dad gives him watches, cars what ever it’s all relative. New of a girl in college who was getting 6k a month for clothes/shopping and going out.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:08 PM   #49
lucassith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar144 View Post
I had and wore an omega speedy pro for about a year and a half. I ended up selling it and got the OP39. I understand the importance of the speedy and I can see why people would choose it over the OP39. But to me you just cant beat a rolex. I know it doesnt make sense. But there is something about buying your first rolex that just cant be duplicated. Seeing as your 15 tho I would probably gofor an omega first. im 28 and still feel too young to be wearing my rollie

I was thinking about that, the Speedy would wear better on me, it’s a youthful brand, with one of the most iconic watches, it’s gonna wear better on me.... And I think I’m going to have another chances to get a Rollie, when I start to work for example, I think I will peck the Speedy.....

Old 22 August 2019, 12:25 PM   #50
Pete26
Banned

Don't let the doubters get you down, Personally if I was 15 I would get the OP 36MM 116000, it's a great watch and probably a little cheaper than the 39MM.

It could be the GAGA.

Pete26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:29 PM   #51
GaloCinza
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Não tem comparação. Vai no Rolex! A pulseira do Speedy é fraquíssima, não é automático e o caimento no pulso do Rolex é incomparável. Nesta faixa, recomendaria tb o Tudor BB58, mas não vende aqui.

Não sei onde vc mora, mas de maneira geral se vc não for caminhar na rua, é tranquilo usar o Rolex. Diferentemente do resto do mundo, aqui no Brasil o problema não são as quadrilhas espcializadas em roubar rolex, o problema é um bandido qualquer que vai trocar o teu relógio por 3 pedras de crack, então o risco do Rolex é o mesmo do Speedy...

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
GaloCinza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:42 PM   #52
Ragna
Banned

Speedy or OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaloCinza View Post
Brasil o problema não são as quadrilhas especializadas em roubar rolex, o problema é um bandido qualquer que vai trocar o teu relógio por 3 pedras de crack, então o risco do Rolex é o mesmo do Speedy...

Thats right. I heard some are more able to recognize a genuine gshock from a distance.

Also you are correct about the speedy sitting high on the wrist. The Speedies i own are like 14mm thick.
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:27 PM   #53
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Think the OP mentioned a house in Miami ....he also mentioned he owned a vintage daytona already... go figure

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=683866
Is no one else curious why this young lad has a vintage daytona but is seeking out his first rolex, and an OP 36 at that?

BTW, your AD pic is of the blue OP 39, not the 36.
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:51 PM   #54
Pete26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post
Is no one else curious why this young lad has a vintage daytona but is seeking out his first rolex, and an OP 36 at that?

BTW, your AD pic is of the blue OP 39, not the 36.
He inherited the Daytona from his Grandfather and now wants to buy his first new Rolex, he also lives in miami, the kid is obviously loaded. Good for him I say, there are worse things a 16 YO kid can spend their money, especially in Miami.
Pete26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:55 PM   #55
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete26 View Post
He inherited the Daytona from his Grandfather and now wants to buy his first new Rolex, he also lives in miami, the kid is obviously loaded. Good for him I say, there are worse things a 16 YO kid can spend their money, especially in Miami.
But according to him, he lives in Brazil.
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 03:14 PM   #56
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Definitely a beautiful watch. Try it on. If you love it, go for it
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 06:21 PM   #57
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I have the White OP39 and it's great - I'd also like to add a Speedmaster at a later date too. You have great taste!

For me though, I wouldn't consider either really a travel watch per se. My travels are usually activity based, so the Speedy's lack of WR would bother me. Equally, the OP for me is too 'formal' for most activities and the lack of on the fly adjustment bothers me.

Each to their own though, both are great timepieces! Although the OP may be less readily available than the Speedy, I think it's superior robustness makes it the better choice here!
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 07:11 PM   #58
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
when i was 15 i had a paris dakar watch and played a lot of basketball.

get your rolex and upgrade upgrade upgrade
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 07:28 PM   #59
lucassith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaloCinza View Post
Não tem comparação. Vai no Rolex! A pulseira do Speedy é fraquíssima, não é automático e o caimento no pulso do Rolex é incomparável. Nesta faixa, recomendaria tb o Tudor BB58, mas não vende aqui.

Não sei onde vc mora, mas de maneira geral se vc não for caminhar na rua, é tranquilo usar o Rolex. Diferentemente do resto do mundo, aqui no Brasil o problema não são as quadrilhas espcializadas em roubar rolex, o problema é um bandido qualquer que vai trocar o teu relógio por 3 pedras de crack, então o risco do Rolex é o mesmo do Speedy...

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Legal ver um brasileiro aqui!! O problema que eu pensei, é que o Rolex chama muita atenção, você bate o olho e fala que é Rolex, e o Ômega é um relógio mais completo e mais robusto na minha opinião. Também é mais de jovem eu acho, to em dúvida, quero pegar na mão.

Old 22 August 2019, 08:57 PM   #60
Adam Brian
"TRF" Member

Love the blue dial! But I also agree with what you said about the speedmaster in your most recent post. Goodluck! :)

Adam Brian is offline   Reply With Quote