The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 August 2019, 01:15 PM   #151
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Just came across this thread . Excellent post !
Thank you for your service and congratulations on your
superb submariner!!! It’s a classic and a icon for a reason!
Looks fantastic on your wrist ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 01:36 PM   #152
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeli Paulo View Post
Hello all,

I’m very pleased to report that my Rolex Submariner is once again on my wrist!

Words fall short on how happy I am!

The Beverly Hills RSC did a fantastic job. Though eight years old, this was it’s first service and since it still looks “like new” I asked them not to polish it and they agreed it wasn’t necessary.

Thank you for looking. I’ll continue to post pics in this thread as I get them.

God bless you,

Michael
Your Sub looks so good now I want one , meaning a
classic 14060...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 05:16 PM   #153
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
Just came across this thread . Excellent post !
Thank you for your service and congratulations on your
superb submariner!!! It’s a classic and a icon for a reason!
Looks fantastic on your wrist ...

Your Sub looks so good now I want one , meaning a
classic 14060...
Thank you, superstarmar!

You can’t go wrong with a five digit! Hopefully, you can find a safe queen like I did!

Michael
Michaeli Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:39 AM   #154
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Since my Submariner is my one and only everyday watch, I needed only to consider storing it while sleeping. I liked the idea of having it on my nightstand, and originally was keeping it in a Rolex velvet travel case.

Then I discovered old wood Rolex boxes and immediately liked the old fashioned, classic look. Though the box is technically not “the box” that the 14060M came in, in should have been!!!

And of course, the classic Rolex wooden box and Submariner wouldn’t be complete without the accompanying anchor.

Thanks for looking!

Michael
Old 21 August 2019, 11:58 AM   #155
whitestripes
"TRF" Member

Great story! Heartwarming that you finally achieved the watch after all that time!
whitestripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:24 PM   #156
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestripes View Post
Great story! Heartwarming that you finally achieved the watch after all that time!
Thank you, whitestripes!

I’m honored that my thread merited earning one of your two posts in the last ten years!!! (BTW, I agree with your other post about your desired changes to the next Submariner!)

Thanks again and God bless you,

Michael
Old 21 August 2019, 12:26 PM   #157
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Legendary post, thank you!
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:06 PM   #158
glamorama
"TRF" Member

What a story! Made me start the day with a big smile :)
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:53 PM   #159
gabbysplace
2024 Pledge Member

You’ve perfectly captured the romance of this hobby. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gabbysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 09:21 AM   #160
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Thank you JohnGingerwood, glamorama and gabbysplace for your kind words and taking the time to read and post.

Michael
Old 22 August 2019, 09:41 AM   #161
dori
Banned

Ode to the Classic Rolex Submariner

Loved reading you amazing story. I am too an ex army soldier (from a different country) and I was happy to read this thread. Your passion for this watch is inspiring and actually makes me lean towards purchasing a SUB although I wanted a GMT for my next watch. Wear it in good health!

dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:34 PM   #162
Aymara59
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story! Now you will have a great journey with your Sub! Wear it in good health and may God bless you!

Aymara59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:23 PM   #163
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dori View Post
Loved reading you amazing story. I am too an ex army soldier (from a different country) and I was happy to read this thread. Your passion for this watch is inspiring and actually makes me lean towards purchasing a SUB although I wanted a GMT for my next watch. Wear it in good health!

Thank you, dori, but perhaps the GMT is your dream watch like the Submariner is mine. As I said, I’ve wanted a Submariner since I was a kid. There’s a connection for me. Your connection may be to the GMT. Either way, good luck on your quest!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara59 View Post
Thank you for sharing your wonderful story! Now you will have a great journey with your Sub! Wear it in good health and may God bless you!

Thank you Aymara59!

God bless you and yours,

Michael
Old 23 August 2019, 02:48 PM   #164
chriswang0130
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your service. What a great story. I am planning to get a 114060 soon as well
chriswang0130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:44 PM   #165
rcclarkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMP 300m
A moving story articulately told, thank you for sharing your journey Michael.

These are the stories that continue to inspire me!
rcclarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 04:18 PM   #166
florian1979
"TRF" Member

Great Story and very nice Pictures! Thank you!
florian1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 10:41 PM   #167
FQ01
"TRF" Member

Great story! Thanks for sharing!!!
FQ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:22 PM   #168
finestdealer
"TRF" Member

Wow congrats !
finestdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:23 PM   #169
Cduff
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1024, 16610
Outstanding watch! Outstanding post!

Thanks!
Cduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 06:30 AM   #170
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswang0130 View Post
Thank you for your service. What a great story. I am planning to get a 114060 soon as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcclarkie View Post
A moving story articulately told, thank you for sharing your journey Michael.

These are the stories that continue to inspire me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by florian1979 View Post
Great Story and very nice Pictures! Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FQ01 View Post
Great story! Thanks for sharing!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by finestdealer View Post
Wow congrats !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cduff View Post
Outstanding watch! Outstanding post!

Thanks!
Thank you chriswang0130, rcclarkie, florian1979, FQ01, finestdealer and Cduff!!!

I hope to continue to chronicle my journey, (now with my Submariner at my side,) in photos. There are additional photos of this five digit throughout the thread, and I’ll continue to post more. I considered starting new threads for each of the new pics, but don’t want to clutter up the board, plus it keeps the pics all in one place.

Here’s another of this handsome classic!

Old 29 August 2019, 10:46 AM   #171
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Filling up my tank and noticed the setting sun shining through the crystal from 12:00...lighting up the laser etched crown effortlessly!

Although I wanted one of these watches all my life, I didn’t have a clue as to all I’d be getting if I ever was to get one.

What a fine combination of beauty and technology.

Michael
Old 29 August 2019, 02:54 PM   #172
ganagati
"TRF" Member

What a cool story with a happy ending. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the photos. Please do keep them coming!
ganagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:16 PM   #173
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Most posts on here are the same drudgery but this was truly inspiring. Thanks for taking the time. My granddad was an old Diesel sub guy from WWII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeli Paulo View Post
The Rolex Submariner.

It’s much more than “just a watch” to me, so if you’re in the “it’s just a watch” camp, with all due respect, you’ll probably be happier avoiding the rest of this thread.

Like many others, I grew up watching James Bond and Steve McQueen wearing a Submariner which contributed to making the watch so cool and iconic to me.

When I turned 18, I joined the Navy and upon reporting to boot camp, was delighted to find myself assigned to “Company 007.”

When the Company Commanders discovered that I was drawing portraits of my fellow recruits, (so they could send them home to their sweethearts,) I was assigned to illustrate the company flag.

After graduating from boot camp, I was sent to Submarine School where I began my four year tour in the Submarine Service.

Though I wasn’t anything close to being a Submarine Commander like the above gentleman, I did earn my “Dolphins” and experienced the unique and mysterious underwater life of a Submariner.

After my stint in the Submarine Service, I moved on to a career working for the government and have since retired. However, the longing for a Rolex Submariner has never passed. But I always figured that these watches were for the “wealthy” so I never seriously considered owning one myself.

Then, around a month ago, I stumbled upon The Rolex Forum. I began researching and soon realized that my lifelong dream could actually become a reality.

I showed a picture of the Submariner to my lovely wife and told her all about it. She surprised me by saying how much she loved the watch, how every “gentleman” should wear a nice watch and that she completely supported my desire...she even insisted that she help pay for it!

Soon “the other shoe dropped” and I learned of the current difficulties in obtaining a new Submariner. Remaining positive, my wife and I visited three of our local Authorized Dealers, briefly sharing my story and giving each of them a typed half sheet of information about me and the 114060 reference which I hoped to obtain.

The following week, I “made a day of it” and made similar visits to nine Authorized Dealers in my neighboring cities.

Though I figured I’d be in for a long wait, I was willing, after having waited nearly a lifetime already.

When initially researching the Submariner, I was set upon buying an 114060 from an AD, because I had convinced myself that for an investment like this, I should go with the “new one” from an Authorized Dealer with a full warranty.

But I was continually drawn back to the look and feel of the classic Submariners prior to the changes made with the advent of the 114060.

Then, less than a week ago, I began seriously looking into the possibility of attaining an 14060m as opposed to the 114060.

I realized that with a late model 14060M, I could get a Submariner which had many of the recent “upgrades” while retaining the classic look.

(Note: Before this thread devolves into a “2 liner vs. 4 liner” or a “14060M vs. 114060” discussion, let me say that this thread is in honor of the Rolex Submariner in all of it’s renditions over the years. They are all fantastic!!!)

A Trusted Seller here (speedy_master1 aka Nima) was offering a 14060M reference from 2011 with the complete package, in mint condition, only one owner, and a “safe queen.”

After putting Nima “through the wringer” with tons of questions over a 24 hour period, I bought my dream watch!

My Rolex Submariner (I enjoy saying that!) arrived in pristine condition! I immediately took it to my (new) watchmaker and he authenticated it and put it on his machine to check it’s functions. He said everything looked great and helped fit the bracelet on me.

I am so blessed; I have a classic Rolex Submariner in “like new” condition! I couldn’t be any happier with it!

Ironically, if it wasn’t for the “SS shortage” at the AD’s, I never would have researched and found the 14060m. Instead, I would have walked out with a brand new 114060, a month ago. (Which in all actuality would have been great, as well!)

Another interesting point is that (though I plan on wearing the heck out of this watch,) I totally appreciate those collectors who are guarding their “safe queens.” Those collectors are doing us a great service; preserving watches in pristine condition so that someone else will benefit later; someone like me, buying an eight year old watch in essentially “new” condition.

Aesthetically, just gazing at the watch, it is simply “perfect” to me visually. The Rolex Submariner is simply “the” watch for me.

(Found the hidden Crown!) :)

Some folks might respond to my excitement and enthusiasm with statements like, “It’s just a watch!”

Well, one could also say that Michelangelo’s Pieta is “just a statue“ or that Cologne Cathedral is “just a building.”

Not every man-made creation is a thing of beauty or excellence, but when they are, there’s nothing wrong with appreciating these qualities.

And if Rolex Submariners were inexpensive, (like a Timex or Casio,) and if Submariners were commonplace, I would still want one for all the above reasons.

As for it’s high price, that has never made the Submariner more desirable to me; it has only served as a reason why I’ve never owned one.

Speaking of price, this ad from 1964 is intriguing; I was 5 years old at the time.

Apparently $195.00 was a lot of money for a watch back then, but even adjusting for inflation, that would only equate to around $1,600 today. I’m sure other factors have driven the price up, like technical improvements, name recognition, desirability and status.

Regardless, now that I actually own one of these treasures, it is “the one” for me and no others.

Her maiden voyage...

Thank you, TRF members for educating me and thank you Nima, for helping make my dream a reality!

The iconic Rolex Submariner.

I can’t believe it’s on my wrist and I actually own one!!!

Thank you for taking the time to share in my joy!

God bless you and yours!

Michael

P.S. Photographing the watch has already proven much more challenging than I had anticipated! And “wrist shots” even more so!

Over time I will try to add more pictures to this thread, particularly “vintage still lifes” and “classic wrist shots.”
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 09:37 AM   #174
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Thank you, Sunny Arizona and ganagati for reading the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Arizona View Post
Most posts on here are the same drudgery but this was truly inspiring. Thanks for taking the time. My granddad was an old Diesel sub guy from WWII.
That’s so great to hear anout your Grandad! Those diesel boats were no picnic! I couldn’t have done it simply because I’m too tall, but also wonder if I could have hacked the more difficult conditions. Thanks again for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganagati View Post
What a cool story with a happy ending. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the photos. Please do keep them coming!
My pleasure and I will continue to post pictures as I love taking them!!!

God bless you,

Michael
Old 31 August 2019, 03:52 PM   #175
Livermoron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M & 16570
Great post. As a 14060M owner. I concur with all you said.
And thank you for your service
Livermoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 04:39 PM   #176
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Michaeli - Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing and thank you for your service! Very happy for you and your new purchase! Enjoy and wear in good health!
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 05:29 PM   #177
1SG MTB
"TRF" Member

What a great story! I love how the watch ties in so well with your military service. I’m a retired grunt and was fortunate enough to wear my 16710 (GMT “Coke”) during my last 5 years of service, it saw all sorts of field time, including a few jumps from a C-130. Congrats on your watch and wear it in good health!
1SG MTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 10:55 PM   #178
SCsailor
"TRF" Member

Great post and congrats. I’ve had my classic sub for 7 years and I still get a thrill each time I put it on.

SCsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 11:28 PM   #179
Wrist King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub, 16710 P
Great thread well done. Now...which one is next ?

Sent from my SM-G9730 using Tapatalk
Wrist King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 11:35 PM   #180
chopper7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT
Congrats shipmate. USN 79-85. Wear it in the best of health. Was going to ask Boomers or Fast Attack but then I saw SSBN 632. Boomers it is. All I can say about your post is it has SOUL. Thanks for a most enjoyable read.
chopper7 is offline   Reply With Quote