The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 January 2019, 03:32 PM   #1
LAREALTOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller 43, YM2
WEMPE on 5th NYC

Hi Gents and Ladies...

Had a nice 5 day getaway to NYC and dropped by Wempe on 5th after having some lovely stoagies at Club Macanudo...

I have never walked into a more snobbish and disjointed AD. I was looking to spend 20K or so on a watch. Not one of the 7 people in that damn place even acknowledged my presence! I have my SS YM2 on. After about 30 minutes one of the ladies at the Rolex desk said hello. I let her know that I was planning to buy a watch, but would not be doing so there since I was ignored for 30 minutes.

I'd never give that place my money.

I walked down the street to the flagship store and while there was no selection really, it was a nice experience and some good conversation.
LAREALTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 03:41 PM   #2
Cubdrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Could you have asked for help? I actually prefer the silent treatment.
Cubdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 03:42 PM   #3
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubdrick View Post
"Excuse me; do you have a moment? I have a question."

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 04:14 PM   #4
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAREALTOR View Post
Hi Gents and Ladies...

Had a nice 5 day getaway to NYC and dropped by Wempe on 5th after having some lovely stoagies at Club Macanudo...

I have never walked into a more snobbish and disjointed AD. I was looking to spend 20K or so on a watch. Not one of the 7 people in that damn place even acknowledged my presence! I have my SS YM2 on. After about 30 minutes one of the ladies at the Rolex desk said hello. I let her know that I was planning to buy a watch, but would not be doing so there since I was ignored for 30 minutes.

I walked down the street to the flagship store and while there was no selection really, it was a nice experience and some good conversation.

The Rolex flashship store on 5th is owned/operated by Wempe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 04:14 PM   #5
Auerr
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR & 116234
Quote:
This.
Old 10 January 2019, 04:17 PM   #6
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
The key in customer service industry is acknowledging customers within 30 seconds when they walk into the store. If the staffs can’t even look at you in the eyes and smile or a nod that they acknowledge your presence, they should be fired unless they are tending to another customers. That’s the rule for my business or you go get another job.
Also, the guy wear tank top and flip flop usually tips a lot more than the guy in tuxedo and fancy shoes. Lesson here is treating everyone with the same respect regardless of their appearance. Heck, I always buy new cars and watches in sandals, short and t-shirt.
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 05:48 PM   #7
Jimmy Jam Jam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bleu/Noir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52 View Post
The key in customer service industry is acknowledging customers within 30 seconds when they walk into the store. If the staffs can’t even look at you in the eyes and smile or a nod that they acknowledge your presence, they should be fired unless they are tending to another customers. That’s the rule for my business or you go get another job.
Also, the guy wear tank top and flip flop usually tips a lot more than the guy in tuxedo and fancy shoes. Lesson here is treating everyone with the same respect regardless of their appearance. Heck, I always buy new cars and watches in sandals, short and t-shirt.
Very well said, i remember i was in the Cartier lecture along with retail in HK and macau and i couldnt help but say, whoever comes in is a customer, everyone is treated equally no matter how they're dressed, if they dont purchase its fine, just by talking to them you already built a relationship with them and they may come back.
Jimmy Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 06:01 PM   #8
Stratos
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Just a quick question mate.

If they had a wide selection of SS Rolex watches, would you have started that thread in the first place?
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 06:10 PM   #9
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I have been in sales for 50 years and still am.

It’s not difficult to acknowledge a customer.

Evaluating your customer and approaching them in an acceptable manner is 101.

Hey!! You lookin’ for a new watch mate?

Always worked for me.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 06:15 PM   #10
BeastGC
"TRF" Member

I agree they should at least acknowledge the customer, yes it is just as easy to ask a sales person a question but that's the key they are in sales!
BeastGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 06:22 PM   #11
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Haha, you would be an easy mark for me.

Old 10 January 2019, 07:52 PM   #12
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
The Rolex flashship store on 5th is owned/operated by Wempe

Then there's that. lol.
In this case I would have politely asked for help.
I can say this as a person who grew up in NYC and worked retail into my late 20s. New yorkers for the most part are not too social and prefer not to be "harassed" in stores, couple that with the high volume of tourists that come through "just looking" and the staff can get a little bit inoculated to wandering customers. So the staff who are also NY'ers, are mostly used to dealing with their brethren, right or wrong.
Seems a staff member did approach politely so they aren't total a-holes but then again judging by the way I might be reading the op, there could be more to the story.
Some people with money and black cards with "$20k to spend on a watch(any watch)" might be used to the red carpet treatment every you go....

If I'm window shopping and kicking tires, I prefer the silent treatment because I honestly don't want to waste a sales rep's time when a legit customer may need help. I just want to look around and if there's time then I wouldn't mind being engaged and having a nice chat, but I prefer not to, average NY'er mentality(leave me alone).

Now if I am ready to buy, money burning a hole in my pocket....I'm a man on a mission. Honestly at that point I don't need small talk, I've researched what ever the product is to death, I'm ready to buy. With that in mind, I walk in, b-line for the first available sales person I see and ask directly for what I want. They have it or they don't. This applies to purchasing retail merchandise.

Transportation, shelter and travel have a different approach.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 07:56 PM   #13
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Y..yo...you are just one in a million R.

Every salespersons dream.

Old 10 January 2019, 08:00 PM   #14
harvey
"TRF" Member

One question: what were you doing for 30 minutes?
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 08:14 PM   #15
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

I can see all sides in this thread. I’ve been involved with retail for nearly 40 years so I know how it works ( or should work). Acknowledging a customer in retail premises you are paying rent, rates, utilities and staff wages is basic, you have to do it, that’s why you are in a bricks and mortar store. The better the site, the better the passing trade ergo the more likelihood of converting a sale. However.... I was in a store in Bond Steet in London recently and I could not have had a more miserable experience. The staff literally loooked me up and down and decided I had passed some sort of internal test where they would interact with me. After a few minutes they had me down for a tyrekicker, which actually I was not. Good retail staff get burn out like everyone else. Working in a busy retail environment like Bond St or 5th Ave means staff do miss on buying signals but should not miss on the basics of selling. In my experience it’s not so much the individual you are talking to but how the actual store culture is that is the problem. And by the way that always starts at the top! If the store or brand has an attitude that somehow the sum of what you are at that point in your life denotes you as worthy of them is outdated, ignorant, snobbish and will eventually put th m out of business
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 08:20 PM   #16
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Y..yo...you are just one in a million R.

Every salespersons dream.
Or nightmare. I come in for one thing and very rarely is there any flexibility.
I'm very easy, walk into the LV store for example, do you have this, picture on my phone....
-right this way sir, so we don't have that one but we have...(cut 'em off)...so you don't have this one correct, no sir, but....
-is their a store nearby, yes
can you call(see what happens)
If the answer is -no, goodbye...too easy
If they have it, I'll take it.
You can't haggle prices in retail stores so it's either they have it or they don't. I'm pretty versed on the discounts I can get on the watches I want so I can take it with the discount or bye bye...on a BLRO we both know there isn't a discount. And jewelry prices can always be negotiated, I leave that to my wife who has a doctorate in haggling.
Old 10 January 2019, 08:20 PM   #17
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Me too. Dubai is notorious for store assistants following your every step and hanging over your shoulder. There’s literally nothing more annoying. Staff should be on hand though at a distance ready in case you look up for them.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 09:47 PM   #18
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Obviously your expectations did not meet reality for you customer service experience. No issue with that. Don't take it personal even thought it is. Next time take matters into your own hands and engage in a polite but direct way. The only thing that can happen is the service can get better or you will leave, either way it will not bother you.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 09:55 PM   #19
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Welcome to NYC!
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 09:55 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I have no specific experience with this particular AD, but I’d say that the same two people could have the exact opposite experience at an AD. I know from a few of the guys here and we have had very different experiences at the same ADs.

I believe you kind of get you you give. If you smile and say hello but get no response ... then I agree, I’m outta there
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:07 PM   #21
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
If you want attention...walk in with a wad of cash

Sorry i couldnt resist using this pic again :) (just found it on my phone)
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:17 PM   #22
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
You’re not in Kansas anymore! Lol
I’m sorry you had that experience, don’t let it get you down. I’m a little surprised since I’ve had nothing but good experiences there. Not that this is an excuse but perhaps you went at closing time?
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:17 PM   #23
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
I’ve been there plenty of times and always had decent service. Too bad you didn’t, although asking for help couldn’t hurt.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:25 PM   #24
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider817 View Post
I’ve been there plenty of times and always had decent service. Too bad you didn’t, although asking for help couldn’t hurt.
Same. They've always been pretty friendly and have at the very least smiled and asked for assistance when I walk in.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:29 PM   #25
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Welcome to NYC!
So true.

Old 10 January 2019, 10:32 PM   #26
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I have always been treated nice at Wempe. Once they made a warranty repair on my wife's Baume and Mercier. Texted us after an hour or so to come pick it up and gave us some gourmet cookies to go.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:38 PM   #27
benouah
"TRF" Member

30 min no acknowledge sign from staff seems odd.
I also work in retail and even if staff can miss on greetings because busy on doing admin staff (checking stock, replying emails) they should make eye contact with you.
Not questioning the fairness of your experience but only voicing out basic retail principles.

benouah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:42 PM   #28
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Gents and Ladies...

you do realize they are both the same AD right?

Wempe :665 Fifth Avenue "Rolex boutique"
Wempe: 700 Fifth Avenue
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 11:26 PM   #29
Andy C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52 View Post
This.
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 11:32 PM   #30
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Hi Gents and Ladies...

I’ve had a similar experience there and agree it was rather cold. Do keep in mind you went to THE place to buy a Rolex if you’ve got big cash to blow or you’re a celebrity. They’re also located prominently on 5th ave, so I’m guessing the majority of their visitors are window shoppers. Unfortunately their top clients are spending well into the six figures, so they probably are a little less eager to drop everything when you walk in the door. I’ve likewise visited the Rolex boutique (still owned by Wempe) and everyone there is top notch, truly a great team.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote