The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 January 2019, 03:30 AM   #61
corrosivescale
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel212 View Post
Amazing service when I go there.

I dont expect nor do I want the "red carpet" treatment. Maybe different if I was in a hurry to spend $20k

Hard for salespeople to read your mind. I don't like it when salespeople flock all over a customer.

Perfect experience is when you walk-in, you have a few minutes to browse, then make eye contact with a salesperson who can assist if you have any questions. They shouldn't disregard your presence either. Not an easy line for them to walk on.

The whole t-shirt, flip-flops, and shorts thing is kind of silly. If you want to be treated with respect, you have to somewhat look the part. To be able to shock a sales rep when you reach for $20k in your swim trunks is satisfaction for the buyer more than the salesperson. Are we trying to reenact Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.
Could not disagree with you more. Nobody should have to put on airs to get the privilege of spending 5 figures on a timepiece. Purposefully showing up to "shock" a sales person is equally as stupid, however. I hate wearing anything but beer t-shirts and scuffed up Ariats....my money is just as good as anyone else that walks in the door.
corrosivescale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 03:39 AM   #62
Netminder1
"TRF" Member

Watch: everyone
Sad story to hear, however, I have to say in my 5 or so trips to Wempe/NYC over the past 20 years, I've not had that experience and I haven't even bought anything. A couple of years ago, a salesperson even brought out the first Tudor Bronze Back Bay that had received even though it was already reserved. Of course, she didn't take it out of its "coffin."
Netminder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 04:05 AM   #63
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

I bought an IWC there a few years ago. They couldn't have been nicer. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 05:07 AM   #64
ping1
"TRF" Member

2 Wempe's, different results

I went to 665 Wempe and he (big guy with blond hair) wouldn't put me on a wait list, even after I told him I purchased a Sub and Air King recently. I went to 700 Wempe, met with Ms. Wolff, and got on a list and was given a receipt with a picture of the watch I requested and a reference number. What a difference.
ping1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:53 AM   #65
Jamesw20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Interesting, I’ve been to same store several times and found them quite accommodating.
Jamesw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:14 PM   #66
DTap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52 View Post
The key in customer service industry is acknowledging customers within 30 seconds when they walk into the store. If the staffs can’t even look at you in the eyes and smile or a nod that they acknowledge your presence, they should be fired unless they are tending to another customers. That’s the rule for my business or you go get another job.
Also, the guy wear tank top and flip flop usually tips a lot more than the guy in tuxedo and fancy shoes. Lesson here is treating everyone with the same respect regardless of their appearance. Heck, I always buy new cars and watches in sandals, short and t-shirt.

Bump! It’s rude when they intentionally don’t make eye contact so they can chat way with their coworkers.
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:20 PM   #67
Mr. Nicewatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAREALTOR View Post
Hi Gents and Ladies...

Had a nice 5 day getaway to NYC and dropped by Wempe on 5th after having some lovely stoagies at Club Macanudo...

I have never walked into a more snobbish and disjointed AD. I was looking to spend 20K or so on a watch. Not one of the 7 people in that damn place even acknowledged my presence! I have my SS YM2 on. After about 30 minutes one of the ladies at the Rolex desk said hello. I let her know that I was planning to buy a watch, but would not be doing so there since I was ignored for 30 minutes.

I'd never give that place my money.

I walked down the street to the flagship store and while there was no selection really, it was a nice experience and some good conversation.

I had the opposite experience about 2 weeks ago. They were very polite and welcoming with out being pushy. One associate actually saw me checking out the watch winding safe they had as soon as you walk in. He then told me to come check out the rest of them downstairs which was a keycard entry to get in . I didn’t even ask he was very observant. Anyone that goes and is into that stuff should check it out. Buben & Zoreg safes with some other crazy cool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr. Nicewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:27 PM   #68
OPfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 36 white dial
In NYC, I've had lovely experiences at Grand Seiko, Bremont, JLC, and Omega boutiques. Also Watches of Switzerland in Soho. I didn't have a dime to spend and looked the part. But everyone greeted me like a mensch and was more than happy to talk watches with me.
OPfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:31 PM   #69
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
If you want attention...walk in with a wad of cash

Sorry i couldnt resist using this pic again :) (just found it on my phone)

I’ve always wondered if walking in with a stack like that would get something out of the safe

But then I realized that they probably don’t care if you pay with card or cash because they get the money either way no?
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:36 PM   #70
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
looks like you were exactly what they thought you were any way, a time waster. even the guys on 47th street watch shops stop me to ask if im looking for something and I browse with headphones on.
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 01:10 PM   #71
scheneider
"TRF" Member

Go back and pretty woman that joint

scheneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:33 PM   #72
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

WEMPE on 5th NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
I’ve always wondered if walking in with a stack like that would get something out of the safe

But then I realized that they probably don’t care if you pay with card or cash because they get the money either way no?

Credit card companies typically charge ~3% to merchants so it does have an impact. However I think if you pay with something with cash over $10k a merchant is supposed to report it to IRS.

Whether some stores potentially could look the other way.. I feel like most folks don't want to fuck around with the fed govt/irs.

If anyone has experiences paying cash though would def be interested hearing

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...eference-guide

"The general rule is that you must file Form 8300, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business, if your business receives more than $10,000 in cash from one buyer as a result of a single transaction or two or more related transactions."

Example from IRS link above:
Example: Jane operates a jewelry store in Puerto Rico and received payment in cash on a sale of jewelry for $12,000. She will need to report the transaction on a Form 8300. In general, a person engaged in a trade or business located in a U.S. possession or territory is subject to the general jurisdiction of the IRS and must file Form 8300 with IRS. This is in addition to any filing obligation the person may have with the territory tax authorities under requirements that are similar to the requirement to file Forms 8300 with the IRS.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:52 PM   #73
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

30 mins waiting, why??? What on earth were you doing???

Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:56 PM   #74
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Seriously you waited 30 mins for someone to acknowledge you (with your YM2 on, like that makes you special?) and when they finally acknowledged you, you told them you had 20k and you left... wow

Then you went down the road for a chat with another dealer where you also didn’t buy anything.

What an interesting way to spend some of your holiday.
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 10:31 PM   #75
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Credit card companies typically charge ~3% to merchants so it does have an impact. However I think if you pay with something with cash over $10k a merchant is supposed to report it to IRS.

Whether some stores potentially could look the other way.. I feel like most folks don't want to fuck around with the fed govt/irs.

If anyone has experiences paying cash though would def be interested hearing

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...eference-guide

"The general rule is that you must file Form 8300, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business, if your business receives more than $10,000 in cash from one buyer as a result of a single transaction or two or more related transactions."

Example from IRS link above:
Example: Jane operates a jewelry store in Puerto Rico and received payment in cash on a sale of jewelry for $12,000. She will need to report the transaction on a Form 8300. In general, a person engaged in a trade or business located in a U.S. possession or territory is subject to the general jurisdiction of the IRS and must file Form 8300 with IRS. This is in addition to any filing obligation the person may have with the territory tax authorities under requirements that are similar to the requirement to file Forms 8300 with the IRS.

I know what you are talking about, but thanks for sharing!

Taking all of that into consideration, do you think that pulling out a bunch of cash might motivate the SA to pull out something special?
Old 21 August 2019, 10:44 PM   #76
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

WEMPE on 5th NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
I know what you are talking about, but thanks for sharing!

Taking all of that into consideration, do you think that pulling out a bunch of cash might motivate the SA to pull out something special?

I don't think so. If anything it would be a little ostentatious

Do you think showing up with hard cold cash makes a difference to the seller? If they weren't going to sell to you and you were clear on buying / intent - what difference does cash or card make aside from the CC fees?

Maybe if you have a few racks for the SA on the side haha
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 10:58 PM   #77
Flyfisher
"TRF" Member

They most likely had nothing to sell any way, so no harm no foul.
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:04 PM   #78
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
I see the problem. You aren’t a native New Yorker. I’m a displaced New Yorker and it drives me crazy when people verbally welcome me to their store. I grew up with sales people making eye contact with a slight smile (engaging enough to welcome my question) but otherwise, left to wander around and explore.

I’ve been to WEMPE on 5th quite a few times and I always found the staff to be acceptable. No one ever rushed to the door to grab my attention. I think I would have walked out if they did.

The one place that I have found down here that does this (not bombarding the customer) is the Tiffany store in Philadelphia. Eye contact, smile, and wait for the customer to ask where something is. Once you (the customer) ask or engage, they jump in right away, showing you things and asking questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:15 PM   #79
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Terrible service for sure.

More importantly, how the hell do you wander around a store for 30 minutes?
Old 21 August 2019, 11:22 PM   #80
iheartrolexx
Banned

why did you stay there for 30 min if no one acknowledged you? doesn't sound too legit to me
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:24 PM   #81
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
I don't think so. If anything it would be a little ostentatious

Do you think showing up with hard cold cash makes a difference to the seller? If they weren't going to sell to you and you were clear on buying / intent - what difference does cash or card make aside from the CC fees?

Maybe if you have a few racks for the SA on the side haha

I guess you’re right.

I’ve just wondered if showing up with cash kind of hints that would you might be able to afford it a little bit more than the guy that shows up with a credit card.

But maybe not, because I’m sure a lot of high rollers pay with credit cards because there is less risk than walking around with so much cash. Plus, you get the points back!

Haha a few racks on the side might be where things are going
Old 21 August 2019, 11:27 PM   #82
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I have no intention of "dressing the part." Being retired I wear nothing but sweatpants and hoodies in the winter and shorts and t-shirts in the summer. My $ is as good as anyone else's. Sometimes my car is the only one under 6 figures in the parking lot of the AD, but I couldn't care less. All customers are immediately acknowledged. Sometimes I wonder how they can afford the payroll but they place service at a premium.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:31 PM   #83
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Got great service there and will definitely go back.

No lack of attention is great, as it allows me to explore the inventory without being bothered. Given the usual alternative--being followed with every step, I welcome the change.

The fact that you expected to get a warm welcome because you have a YM, says more about you than about the sales folks there.
Old 21 August 2019, 11:34 PM   #84
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Wempe is my AD and I believe they provide exemplary service. Foot traffic on 5th Avenue is very irregular, so I’ve seen instances where the place is empty, then goes to packed in about 45 seconds. It’s not unusual to wait a few minutes to be greeted when all of the sales professionals are busy.
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:39 AM   #85
jhl0415
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping1 View Post
I went to 665 Wempe and he (big guy with blond hair) wouldn't put me on a wait list, even after I told him I purchased a Sub and Air King recently. I went to 700 Wempe, met with Ms. Wolff, and got on a list and was given a receipt with a picture of the watch I requested and a reference number. What a difference.
I've had similar experiences in 665 Wempe; was not even acknowledged, asked about a sub date and scoffed at and SA said no we don't take any info and walked away.
SA at 700 wempe was glad to take down my info, explained about the reality of the situation and was glad to chat about other things.
jhl0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 02:05 AM   #86
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
I went in the same day, and totally had a different experience. All in all, happy with Wempe.
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 02:18 AM   #87
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
They are my AD in NYC and even before I had bought anything from them I thought they struck a good balance of acknowledgement of my existence while also letting me walk around without being followed and sold to.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 02:52 AM   #88
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Reality is regardless of all this banter - a simple acknowledgement welcoming someone to your business is the rule. Welcome to Wempe - What did you stop in to check out today? Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Pretty simple - non invasive.

That should have been part said to any person that walks into the business regardless of who they are, what stack of cash, which tv show, or what watch they are wearing.
Old 22 August 2019, 03:21 AM   #89
Smart Water
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping1 View Post
What did she say wrt to the list? I work near and have contemplated if it’s even worth my time to pop in.

Thanks
Smart Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 03:23 AM   #90
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
If you want attention...walk in with a wad of cash

Sorry i couldnt resist using this pic again :) (just found it on my phone)
Looks like about 25k if all $100.

Wempe in Munich is always a joy to visit. Have been to other locations including NYC and was always treated well.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote