The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 April 2019, 10:00 PM   #1
nyfida
"TRF" Member

Platinum Rolex decision

Hi . I am approaching 50 and I have been contemplating a platinum version of Rolex. The two on my radar is day date 2 or Daytona. Upon review in the used market there is a huge difference in price , like 15,000-20,000.
For those that are familiar with both would you think the Daytona is that much better ? The way I see it , with stainless steel watches , used selling for on or around $20000 the day date is a no brainer. Let me know what you guys think and I will post pictures up soon of my purchase .
nyfida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 10:05 PM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Daytona is a more complicated movement with a considerably longer reserve than the DDII which is now somewhat out dated not only for its movement but also for it unpopular proportions. Also I personally like the ceramic bezel on the 116506 as helping to keep the watch looking sharp. I've got a 116506 as a daily wearer and thinks it's awesome!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 10:07 PM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

I'd also consider the DayDate 40, new movement and a case with better proportions than the DDII.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 10:39 PM   #4
torrente
"TRF" Member

Platinum Rolex decision

Be careful with Daytona legibility, I am 59 yo needing +1.5 reading glasses and Sometimes I have readability problems with my DaytonaC SS white.
Not sure how it would change with PT, for what I see on the web the PT dial seems a bit more readable, but not sure of it.
I would suggest to try one yourself in different light conditions before deciding.
torrente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 10:46 PM   #5
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrente View Post
Be careful with Daytona legibility, I am 59 yo needing +1.5 reading glasses and Sometimes I have readability problems with my DaytonaC SS white.
Not sure how it would change with PT, for what I see on the web the PT dial seems a bit more readable, but not sure of it.
I would suggest to try one yourself in different light conditions before deciding.
I am 59 also and have a hard time reading the platinum Daytona. My vision gets blurry trying to see the time through the tears of joy every time I look at the watch.

Seriously, I don't wear glasses but now have 1.0 readers for small print. Seeing the time is only slightly difficult in indoor low light when the hour and minute hand are around the bottom sub-dial (around 5:30). Other than that, it's easy to see the time. Using the chrono and seeing the minutes sub-dial accurately would be difficult at a glance unless in outdoor light. YVMV (your vision may vary).
Old 12 April 2019, 10:50 PM   #6
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

If $ is the deciding factor get the cheaper one. If not, only you can decide which you like better. Very different watches but both awesome. I looked at both and chose the Daytona. I liked it better and it's a better fit for my lifestyle. No right or wrong choice but it is your choice. Good luck - look forward to the incoming thread.
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 10:53 PM   #7
nyfida
"TRF" Member

Yes all good points . The stainless steel Daytona was my 40 year present to myself and it’s still my favorite watch of all and to this day don’t want to take it off but getting the new S.S Daytona ceramic for the price difference would be cool too !
Either way , I wish this was my biggest problems in life . Lol !!!
Old 12 April 2019, 11:07 PM   #8
torrente
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I am 59 also and have a hard time reading the platinum Daytona. My vision gets blurry trying to see the time through the tears of joy every time I look at the watch.

Seriously, I don't wear glasses but now have 1.0 readers for small print. Seeing the time is only slightly difficult in indoor low light when the hour and minute hand are around the bottom sub-dial (around 5:30). Other than that, it's easy to see the time. Using the chrono and seeing the minutes sub-dial accurately would be difficult at a glance unless in outdoor light. YVMV (your vision may vary).
In my case I need +1.5 since 3 years ago for any comfortable or long reading in paper or computer.
I love the Daytona SS white dial and I would not asked for it in other case, I am not happy for it but I am going to let it go because I am not using it for the readability and I asume that the situation will not improve ;-)...
I have the feeling that the contrast of the hands with the PT might be a bit better.
torrente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 12:13 AM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I'm 66 and wear mine without issues. I must admit that the diamond dial version appear more legible but I do OK with the brown sub dial version. I had Lasek 20 years ago and still do well.

Old 13 April 2019, 02:34 AM   #10
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
You should probably try them both on before spending $45k-60k on either.

I vote for both.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 03:28 AM   #11
nyfida
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
You should probably try them both on before spending $45k-60k on either.

I vote for both.
I have tried both and the Daytona is definitely more comfortable but I’m not using it as a daily watch so it doesn’t matter.
It’s funny you said both because this has crossed my mind by selling some stainless steel Rolexes because they are boring me a bit and I hate selling things. It all depends on how much I like owning a platinum watch.

Anyway thanks all for your feedback !
Old 13 April 2019, 03:35 AM   #12
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
<snip>.......My vision gets blurry trying to see the time through the tears of joy every time I look at the watch.
That’s some funny stuff.

I couldn’t agree more. I love my Platinum DD36, but my Platinum Daytona was the priority. I saved for it and bought it first.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 03:45 AM   #13
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I will echo some of what has been said. IF I went with the DD it for SURE be the 40 over the II, no question. However with that said, I have to say Id go with the Daytona. I think it is an amazing watch and from a long term stand point on $$ I think the Daytona would hold better (If that matters to you)
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 03:52 AM   #14
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
That’s some funny stuff.

I couldn’t agree more. I love my Platinum DD36, but my Platinum Daytona was the priority. I saved for it and bought it first.

Such a beautiful watch and a beautiful shirt. I wonder how many platinum Daytona owners would admit to buying more blue shirts/sweaters after buying the watch? Blue was always my favorite color, but I think the blue quotient in my wardrobe has increased over the last couple of years.
Old 13 April 2019, 05:36 AM   #15
Blake23
"TRF" Member

Both great watches but I would go day-date first
Blake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 06:54 AM   #16
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I chose the Platona over the DD40. Now I’m looking to flip the Platona and get something more legible and now that I have the WG Daytona on OF, the Platona gets almost zero wrist time.

As for the DDII PT, I actually prefer my RG DDII Ivory Dial to the new RG DD40, but I am not a huge fan of the DDII in PT. The smooth bezel just seems too wide. If PT is a requirement, I’d go with the DD40.
Old 13 April 2019, 07:00 AM   #17
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
I am a huge fan of Daytonas... but in this case I would pick the DD over Platona.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 07:10 AM   #18
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Such a beautiful watch and a beautiful shirt. I wonder how many platinum Daytona owners would admit to buying more blue shirts/sweaters after buying the watch? Blue was always my favorite color, but I think the blue quotient in my wardrobe has increased over the last couple of years.
I can neither confirm nor deny your accusations Your Honor.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 07:48 AM   #19
Lifeisarolliecoaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: This space
[QUOTE=Chiboy;9537064]I am 59 also and have a hard time reading the platinum Daytona. My vision gets blurry trying to see the time through the tears of joy every time I look at the watch.

I’d pick the Platinum Daytona in a heartbeat
Lifeisarolliecoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 07:52 AM   #20
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Blue has always been my color being blue eyed. Blue shirts have always been at the top of my clothing choices (jackets too).

Old 13 April 2019, 07:54 AM   #21
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

10 years from now, if you compare plat DDII vs plat DD40 vs Platona, DDII will have the smallest production numbers as it was produced for the shortest time period. However try on the watches and get the one you will enjoy wearing.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 12:00 PM   #22
nyfida
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
10 years from now, if you compare plat DDII vs plat DD40 vs Platona, DDII will have the smallest production numbers as it was produced for the shortest time period. However try on the watches and get the one you will enjoy wearing.
Good point. I would say much lower production due to popularity of Daytona and Day date 40 platinum . I don’t think the 41 was as good a seller as those.
Old 13 April 2019, 07:19 PM   #23
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Does the Platona have ceramic inserts like the DDII and DD40?
Old 13 April 2019, 07:28 PM   #24
Why1504
"TRF" Member

I just went thru a similar assessment. From the beginning, the Daytona was off the list due to my difficulty reading the time. I suggest you buy an inexpensive chrono, wear it for a week and see how your vision works with the watch. Don’t get me wrong, I love the look of all Daytona’s but the timepiece is a watch first for me not a wrist worn stopwatch. Good luck and I cant wait to see which direction you go here.
Old 13 April 2019, 09:45 PM   #25
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by returntorolex View Post
Yes.

OP: I went the Platona route, as in all honesty, I prefer the fluted bezel on the DD's. Just my two cents.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:11 PM   #26
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Did you mean "UNlike?" Neither of the Day Dates have ceramic inserts.

Old 13 April 2019, 10:18 PM   #27
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

I wear two colors of dress shirts... blue and light blue :)
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:21 PM   #28
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Did you mean "UNlike?" Neither of the Day Dates have ceramic inserts.
Pretty sure the DDII was the first with ceramic inserts. DD40 definitely has them too.
Old 13 April 2019, 10:59 PM   #29
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Pretty sure the DDII was the first with ceramic inserts. DD40 definitely has them too.
When I hear inserts I think bezel inserts as opposed to ceramic bracelet sleeves. Regarding the two different bracelets, the President is far more susceptible to stretch due to the number of links as opposed to the Oyster which I don't ever remember seeing with stretch regardless of the metal. Also Pt is a much harder metal than Au and much less subject to wear.

Old 13 April 2019, 11:27 PM   #30
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
When I hear inserts I think bezel inserts as opposed to ceramic bracelet sleeves. Regarding the two different bracelets, the President is far more susceptible to stretch due to the number of links as opposed to the Oyster which I don't ever remember seeing with stretch regardless of the metal. Also Pt is a much harder metal than Au and much less subject to wear.
Correct - I was referring to the ceramic inserts/sleeves in the DD40 and DDII that were put there to prevent bracelet stretch on the President bracelet.

Since I may have been unclear earlier, does the Platona have the ceramic inserts/sleeves on the Oyster bracelet to prevent stretch?