The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2019, 04:06 AM   #121
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
I've recently added the Speedy Racing 44 I've been wanting since 2017.

Still waiting for a steel Pepsi but realistically there's little chance I'll get the call from my AD anytime soon.

It's alright, really enjoying the Speedy as it's my dream chrono!
So nice, recently handled some. So much nicer than the Daytona, to me.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 04:15 AM   #122
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
not yet, patience is golden, keep on searching/waiting guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 05:25 AM   #123
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint-Tropez View Post
Outstanding purchase. Those are quite lovely watches and are very solid with their own unique flair. Very underrated and underappreciated watch. Oris is a great brand.
Even more impressive I was able to pick up the Oris regulator on a metal bracelet. This is a unique watch in that the hour dial is to the lower right so reading is intuitive and at night, the lume turns it into a traditional watch due the position of the dials. Fit/finish and timekeeping are perfect.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 07:22 AM   #124
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I've always liked other brands other than the crown.....but can say the "shortage" has made me look at other brands even closer with the free time/funds hah.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 07:25 AM   #125
PeqFB
"TRF" Member

I had three non Rolex watches on my want list. Went to a high end watch store and was able to try all three on. Ended up buying one with a 20% discount.
PeqFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 07:56 AM   #126
quichedem
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Interesting question, and I will post for the first time here (I've lurked for a looooooong time).
I always wanted a Submariner, since around '99 or so when I was much younger. Over the years, I've watched the prices creep up until recently when I saw the explosion in SS sports models. Finally, having the price of admission and seeing my beloved grail watch slip out of my grasp, I arrived at a "now or never" hunt and began the search on the classifieds here as well as popular pre-owned sites and some local jewelers that came recommended.
Starting this search about 3 months ago, I literally saw prices increase each month! Getting discouraged, I thought about just going to one of my local ADs, and just sticking my name on "the list," and just waiting for a brand new model to pop-up sometime next year. I figured that if I will pay within a few k to brand new MSRP, I might as well avoid all the work of "the hunt." This is where things get a little interesting...
One of my friends lives next door to someone that works at one of the local ADs, and mentions that his friend (me) is looking for a brand new SS Sub Date. Unsolicited, I get a call from the AD! "This is XXXXX. I heard you're looking for a new Sub Date. I am going over my list, and I think I have one for you." I explain that I was only interested in pre-owned at that time, and the purchase of a brand new model was not something I was prepared to justify just yet.
This, of course, got me to thinking of how all this AD nonsense is just that - nonsense. I don't believe Rolex is driving this market - I believe the ADs have banded together and are generating this artificial market. So, back to the pre-owned market I went. I researched some dealers I saw here on the classifieds, and found one with a 16610, A serial, that I felt was priced reasonably ("reasonably" being a relative term for the madness these days) and began negotiations. I just received the watch 2 weeks ago, and all went very well!
My sentiments on all this are the same as most people: If you want your brand new Pepsi or Batman or Hulk or whatever, be patient and STOP OVERPAYING THE GREY GUYS! Seriously! If you feed that pricing structure, it only gets worse! Offer to pay MSRP (or less), and be prepared to walk to a competing brand and spend there!
quichedem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 11:00 AM   #127
pkincy
"TRF" Member

My most recent purchases have been GS. First, I love them and each likely gets more wrist time than my Rolexes. But the hullabaloo about Rolex and its shortage and the discussion about whether the shortage is because Rolex is brilliant or because Rolex is run by imbeciles has gotten to me. So I am over talking about Rolex much any longer. Not mad at them, but the crap is outweighing the beauty and the desirability of the watches. So I think little about Rolex any longer. On fora for other brands folks actually talk about watches, not about the future value of their purchase or about the shortage or how long they have been on "the List" or how they are progressing on "the Hunt." Makes the discussions much more productive if you are interested in watches.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 11:11 AM   #128
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
I tried the AP and Patek route, but in the end I have bought three Speedys in the last couple of months and an AquaTerra before those. I do have an SD43 and a new Pepsi on jubilee, but those took forever...

My next grail is a snoopy... At least I know why they are hard to get.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 12:10 PM   #129
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Yep, went with an AP when I couldn't get a Batman.
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 12:12 PM   #130
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
It seemed like a good time to get this one. I’ve been interested for
The last while due to the Zenith / Daytona connection. I’ve gotta say....I love this watch.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 12:45 PM   #131
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
It’s a good time to get into IWC. The Big Pilot is now always available, for a LOWER msrp than just a few years ago, and you may even get a discount! Wow

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 12:50 PM   #132
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
It’s a good time to get into IWC. The Big Pilot is now always available, for a LOWER msrp than just a few years ago, and you may even get a discount! Wow

That is a pretty cool watch.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 01:07 PM   #133
Lord Hectic
Banned

Watch: Pepsi
I got over the strategy a while ago, Omega, Chopard and Glashutte has won my business. I am not going to feed this Rolex AD/Rolex created market frenzy, i hope in the near future it hurts the brand. I am hoping Omega can more so take advantage of the market and shine above Rolex with calculated product releases, even bettering their quality.

Anyone who says Rolex has not helped other brands, they are kidding themselves. My watch loving colleagues have all gone to buy their first Omega's earlier this year. We are now all grouping up to buy our second/third from a Sydney based AD.
Lord Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 01:13 PM   #134
BossupRada
"TRF" Member

Rolex is like 6th on my list as far as brands because of the shortage, hype, and price. ( I refuse to pay over $6k for a sub)

All future purchases, Omega, Tudor, Nomos, Zenith, Oris would all come before Rolex.
BossupRada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 01:30 PM   #135
vipergts66
"TRF" Member

Been waiting for a BLRO from my AD since Basel release last year. Was told they’ve gotten two already but allocated to bigger fish.

Through a reference got in touch with an associate at an AP boutique. Placed a deposit for a blue 15500 allocation and delivered in 4 months.

Smooth and transparent. Deposit equals watch delivered.

Apple Watch Series 1
vipergts66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 01:36 PM   #136
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

I sold the majority of my Rolex collection at enormous profits. All bought at discounts before the hype. They weren't getting worn anyway.

I kept the one I enjoy. I will continue to follow Rolex and do recommend the brand, but I don't specifically look for it anymore.

I have started moving on to higher horology with more complications. It was where I was headed anyway and really does not have anything to do with the shortage or Rolex.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 03:38 PM   #137
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I have alotta watches from brands other than Rolex...but I have acquired them on their own accord, not because I COULDN'T get a particular Rolex reference.

If it came down to Brand XX vs Rolex as a direct H2H. I would always choose Rolex and wait to get it.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 04:10 PM   #138
watchtung
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16700, bb 58, kira
yeah if i think about it I probably would have bought a ceramic daytona or a pepsi if it were in stock. Instead I bought a bb58 tudor, a Grand seiko, and a older 16700 pepsi because of this. I mean I enjoy the watches I have greatly, but I don't know if I would have went the route I did if I could have gotten the watches I wanted outright.
watchtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 04:36 PM   #139
Kigan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain AC01
2 Omega:

- Speedmaster Ultraman,
- Speedmaster 1957 60th Anniv.

1 IWC:

- Pilot Chrono 150 Anniv.
Old 8 July 2019, 04:50 PM   #140
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quichedem View Post
Interesting question, and I will post for the first time here (I've lurked for a looooooong time).
I always wanted a Submariner, since around '99...
Great first post. Please keep 'em coming :)

Cheers,
Joe
Old 8 July 2019, 06:13 PM   #141
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
I did. IWC 389001

I always wanted a 378601, so this new version was very appealing.

However, I could just as easily gone for a seadweller 43mm, if I could have found one to try on. But no, so if I can't even try a watch, I'm certainly not going to get on a list or buy one unseen. I understand what Rolex is doing. I hope they understand I am leaving them out of my future until they stop playing silly buggers.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 06:33 PM   #142
DGB
"TRF" Member

I was on the list for a 116520, when it was discontinued the list was cancelled, so I had to put my name again for the newer 116500, and the BLRO, and the BLNR.
Knowing there will always be a bigger fish than me, I moved to other brands: purchased an AP 15202, a Journe CB and a Blancpain PC.
And still no sign of any possible hint of me getting a new Rolex.
Having said so, I am interested in the 116509 blue dial, they said to me it is easier to get than the SS one, we’ll see...

DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 09:10 PM   #143
avilev995
"TRF" Member

Picks up a 16613 since
avilev995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 09:47 PM   #144
greentimgreen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudplay View Post
I had to apologize to the salesladies in the FRA airport store today - I couldn't help but laugh at the 128 (?) watch capacity display case, with 2(!) two-tone ladies datejusts in it.

As Rolex doesn't want my money, I put down a deposit on a grey 15500 at an AP boutique earlier this year - supposedly I'm now next in line. Gratuitous internet pic attached below.

Attachment 1054237

Same situation as you! Hope we’re both not “next in line” at the same boutique!

greentimgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 09:57 PM   #145
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
It seemed like a good time to get this one. I’ve been interested for
The last while due to the Zenith / Daytona connection. I’ve gotta say....I love this watch.

Another very nice watch. Congrats.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 10:55 PM   #146
mrfallover
"TRF" Member

Sometimes wanting something is more fun than having something.

But I may be wrong!
mrfallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 02:07 AM   #147
eleven11prints
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last:ALS Datograph
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
Bought a Longines Legend Diver and a used YG Day Date while waiting for grail watches from Rolex. The AD I bought my Root Beer from is asking grey market prices for the Rolex models I want. Are they allowed to do that?
Had this happen to me in Santorini. They had a black dial 500LN in the case. I asked if it was for sale and the dealer said it had sold. When pressed to sell, he was 100% open to selling at the right price, hence, fairly confident he was looking for the going rate on a piece that should have been available at MSRP.
eleven11prints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 02:51 AM   #148
jaroush
"TRF" Member

I have bought three non-Rolex watches in the last year because of this nonsense. I like trying on watches. The so called trusted sellers are not as trustworthy as many here think. For one thing they push back on returns for any reason other than that the watch is not as advertised. I am high on IWC these days. Excellent products and very good customer service.
jaroush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 03:07 AM   #149
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Ap & pp
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 03:33 AM   #150
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaroush View Post
I have bought three non-Rolex watches in the last year because of this nonsense. I like trying on watches. The so called trusted sellers are not as trustworthy as many here think. For one thing they push back on returns for any reason other than that the watch is not as advertised. I am high on IWC these days. Excellent products and very good customer service.

IWC Big Pilots and the sublime Portoguese Perpetual Calender .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote