The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 August 2019, 04:40 AM   #91
NYCWATCHCREW
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
I was in this store on Friday at 12pm and had a pleasant experience. I wanted to check out Ulysse Nardin enamel dials and some Grand Seiko GMTs and they were very helpful. I browsed Rolex but I didn’t ask any questions for which I already knew the answers. It was a quick and pleasant stop on my way to lunch at Locanda.
Yes this makes sense. I am glad you had a great experience. I think this issue becomes strictly when it comes to the Rolex game.

I might resort to just not asking in the future but I feel like you hear some success stories once in a while from those that ask and get lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time or just caught them on a good day

NYCWATCHCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 06:53 PM   #92
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaakZ View Post

Drivers license asked, stickers removed, and they kept the white hang tag? I donno wtf is going on with these ADs but I’m surprised they never asked for my first born.

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 07:28 PM   #93
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

While visiting NYC last week, I had quite possibly the WORST retail experience at the WOS on Greene Street. Was looking in the Rolex section, which had mostly precious metal day-dates and two tone datejusts. I inquired about other inventory, and my SA told me the more coveted pieces are reserved for their “preferred customers”. I asked, “how do I become a preferred customer?” (Of course i knew the answer to this) She smiles and tells me that I need to spend 70k+. I tell her that I won’t be spending $70 on this visit, but then asked if getting a white gold DD could help my “status”. She says “it’s a start.” I ask if they have a Batman in stock. She nods. She then recommends that I get my wife a datejust to help my case out with her manager. At this point, I’m slowly losing my patience, as I had already told her that I just bought my wife a watch a short while ago, and she doesn’t want another one. Not to mention, I actually was interested in the DD to keep, and don’t want to buy a watch for the sake of it.

By now the store is closed. I’m heading back home the next day and I’m determined to get a Batman (at retail). I tell her to present my proposition to her manager - a white gold day-date with black dial. She asks for my license and takes off.

After about 10 minutes, she comes back and says it’s a no-go on the Batman. She proceeds to show me “proof of life” photos she took on her phone of other watches I’m eligible for: no date sub, two tone seadweller, Black gmt. I declined. So basically, these places have inventory. Maybe not Daytona’s and pepsis sitting around, but they have other SS sports kicking around at any given time. But like much speculation on this forum, they are indeed using these pieces as a way to shake customers down to spend more.

In retrospect, I’m glad I didn’t buy the day-date, or anything else for that matter from WOS. These shysters don’t deserve my business. And by the sounds of it, they don’t need it either.

I sent a nasty follow-up to my sales associate to pass onto her manager. Not that it’s going to make a difference. I also complained to rolex head office. Not that it’s going to make a difference.

DaveTheWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 08:15 PM   #94
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcorbe1 View Post
Yes this makes sense. I am glad you had a great experience. I think this issue becomes strictly when it comes to the Rolex game.

I might resort to just not asking in the future but I feel like you hear some success stories once in a while from those that ask and get lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time or just caught them on a good day

I know why u and I had different experiences now....
I wasn’t buying a Rolex ...that’s probably hard
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:47 PM   #95
foo4rolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWatchGuy View Post
While visiting NYC last week, I had quite possibly the WORST retail experience at the WOS on Greene Street. Was looking in the Rolex section, which had mostly precious metal day-dates and two tone datejusts. I inquired about other inventory, and my SA told me the more coveted pieces are reserved for their “preferred customers”. I asked, “how do I become a preferred customer?” (Of course i knew the answer to this) She smiles and tells me that I need to spend 70k+. I tell her that I won’t be spending $70 on this visit, but then asked if getting a white gold DD could help my “status”. She says “it’s a start.” I ask if they have a Batman in stock. She nods. She then recommends that I get my wife a datejust to help my case out with her manager. At this point, I’m slowly losing my patience, as I had already told her that I just bought my wife a watch a short while ago, and she doesn’t want another one. Not to mention, I actually was interested in the DD to keep, and don’t want to buy a watch for the sake of it.

By now the store is closed. I’m heading back home the next day and I’m determined to get a Batman (at retail). I tell her to present my proposition to her manager - a white gold day-date with black dial. She asks for my license and takes off.

After about 10 minutes, she comes back and says it’s a no-go on the Batman. She proceeds to show me “proof of life” photos she took on her phone of other watches I’m eligible for: no date sub, two tone seadweller, Black gmt. I declined. So basically, these places have inventory. Maybe not Daytona’s and pepsis sitting around, but they have other SS sports kicking around at any given time. But like much speculation on this forum, they are indeed using these pieces as a way to shake customers down to spend more.

In retrospect, I’m glad I didn’t buy the day-date, or anything else for that matter from WOS. These shysters don’t deserve my business. And by the sounds of it, they don’t need it either.

I sent a nasty follow-up to my sales associate to pass onto her manager. Not that it’s going to make a difference. I also complained to rolex head office. Not that it’s going to make a difference.

To spend 70K to get just a Batman?

In this case, the AD is implied that why dun you go to get the piece you want from the grey?
foo4rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:55 PM   #96
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

Glad you reported this to Rolex head office .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:00 AM   #97
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

I always wonder what will happen to these ADs when the bad times come. I have been left with such a bad taste in my mouth these last years with ADs at which I have spent not insignificant sums that the goodwill is gone. I refuse to play the game and buy watches I don’t want or beg to give them my money; when they need me more than I need them, how will I answer?
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 04:14 AM   #98
Droolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG SeaQ Pano date
Had a really great experience there recently. Had some nice cocktails at their bar. Tried on several watches in a pressure free environment and went home with a nice bundle of magazines and catalogs. Staff was lovely the whole time.
Droolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 04:43 AM   #99
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I don't know why anyone's surprised that they are offering bundle deals. Even more surprised anyone would think RolexUSA gives a hoot how one of their independent dealers runs their business. Sounds like they were pretty straightforward to me.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 04:57 AM   #100
soicanbefree
"TRF" Member

I really don't understand the mindset of many of the posters here... we all know the game at this point. Why do you subject yourselves to being treated terribly by these sales associate peons?

Option A: Buy gray and spend an extra 3-10K depending on the watch. Have it instantly.. no run around. Receive it in the next day and smile. Probably no sales tax.

Option B: Buy a bunch of shit you don't want spending an extra 60-70K out the door on pieces that should be discounted 10-25% plus NYC sales tax in this case. (IE you are losing more economically then you stand to gain by getting a hot piece at MSRP). All while having a shitty experience... that's if they even have what you want hiding in the back.

Am I missing something?
Old 22 August 2019, 04:58 AM   #101
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Wait, WOS has a discontinued black GMT?
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 05:41 AM   #102
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soicanbefree View Post
I really don't understand the mindset of many of the posters here... we all know the game at this point. Why do you subject yourselves to being treated terribly by these sales associate peons?

Option A: Buy gray and spend an extra 3-10K depending on the watch. Have it instantly.. no run around. Receive it in the next day and smile. Probably no sales tax.

Option B: Buy a bunch of shit you don't want spending an extra 60-70K out the door on pieces that should be discounted 10-25% plus NYC sales tax in this case. (IE you are losing more economically then you stand to gain by getting a hot piece at MSRP). All while having a shitty experience... that's if they even have what you want hiding in the back.

Am I missing something?

Your not missing anything but some people prefer option B as they like a relationship with an AD ... ( a fool and their money are easily parted)
Halifax Daytona UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 05:59 AM   #103
broham84
"TRF" Member

I'm quite surprised by the replies here. They sold me a Pepsi without prior purchase history let along a DD.
broham84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 06:34 AM   #104
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:

Am I missing something?
Not everyone wants to fund the grey market, not everyone wants to pay over the odds for goods, not everyone can afford to pay over the odds for goods that they can afford if they buy via an AD at recommended retail price.

If I am buying a new watch then I will do my research first, if my watch is a popular model and I am likely to be on a waiting list then as long as I know that I am on the list and my watch will come then i'll wait.

I work hard for my money, I am going to be careful how I spend it, I am certainly not giving my money away on something I can get in an AD if I am patient.

If others want to buy on the grey market and give their money away then that is fine, it is their choice but not everyone's choice.
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 09:10 AM   #105
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
It was meant to be. You'll find your watches somewhere else.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 09:57 AM   #106
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
Treated like a 17 year old trying to get into a club with a fake ID lol[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha wow that brought back memories hahahaha Brilliant!
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 10:05 AM   #107
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtln View Post
Curious as to why a drivers license is needed to purchase a watch?
I have bought many watches from ADs and have never been asked for my license.
Credit card fraud
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 10:27 AM   #108
Pronto0322
"TRF" Member

Last time my ID was scanned at a bar I got a million advertisements in the mail.

At my store (in NYC) we check the license against the credit card. We never scan it. The only thing we scan is paper money. We are backed by chase with any chip reader sale. The cameras help as well.

SCAN my ID for a purchase. No thanks

Pronto0322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:43 AM   #109
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Lots of hotels scan your license at check in these days.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:00 PM   #110
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

I have gotten most of my other pieces from grey dealers, so i wouldn’t have to deal with all of this AD nonsense. But some of the posts on this forum gave me the inspiration to try my luck with ADs again. You know the stories....right time/right place - like the poster who scored a Pepsi from WOS. Guess the timing wasn’t right. I definitely couldn’t have played it any differently. I didn’t come across as entitled, and was completely polite the entire time.

But of course, you guys are the only ones I would share this story with, because it’s totally douchey to tell co-workers and (non watch collector) friends about it. Lol. “Waaah....they wouldn’t let me buy a luxury watch i don’t really need”

Oh and to the earlier poster, yes, they had a black gmt in the back. I saw the “proof of life” picture of it on the SA’s phone.

DaveTheWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:13 PM   #111
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Am I missing something?
I want my name on the card...not for $70K plus the price of admission, though!
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 02:06 AM   #112
avences
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
License wouldn't scan?

What does that even mean? What exactly are they scanning? Like a literal scanned copy of your license? Or do they have some kind of special machine that scans licenses and verifies them? Sounds like nonsense.

I've heard of stores checking a license to see if the name matches the credit card, but never a "scan"
I had my license scanned while buying a pack of smokes at a Walgreens in Wisconsin sometime last year while visiting. Maybe this is the same the OP is talking about??

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
avences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 02:17 AM   #113
Dlong
Banned

Watch: Black sub Date
Why would anyone pay full MSRP for a speedmaster plus NYC sales tax when that watch is easily had for at least 20% off with no tax. Once again, people smoking crack to buy a Rolex.
Dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 07:00 AM   #114
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
[QUOTE=By now the store is closed. I’m heading back home the next day and I’m determined to get a Batman (at retail). I tell her to present my proposition to her manager - a white gold day-date with black dial. She asks for my license and takes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

But why did she ask for your license and disappear for 10 mins? Was she running a credit check to see your net worth? To see if you were worthy to sell to?
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 07:02 AM   #115
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:

But why did she ask for your license and disappear for 10 mins? Was she running a credit check to see your net worth? To see if you were worthy to sell to?
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 07:49 AM   #116
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

OP, any updates?
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 07:52 AM   #117
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
market manipulation dude
just take a deep breath and realize its...just...a...watch
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 08:09 AM   #118
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I asked the same question...they told me it was “required by law”. I highly doubt this is true as I bought a TT GMT from Tourneau the week before with no license...total BS...same state

Just another reason to stay away from these guys...
I can see them verifying your identity, but license fails to scan? Sounds goofy, especially considering you can buy a Speedmaster directly from the Omega website... no driver license required.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 08:14 AM   #119
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Maybe I’m wrong but I try not to start all of my relationships and transactions assuming dishonesty and lack of transparency...

I am not saying your wrong I have just never found success using this approach.
Long ago I have adopted the attitude: Hope for the best.....but plan for the worst. This way I’m never surprised by a let down. So it bothers me very little when someone human doesn’t live up to my expectations.....why waste all the time and energy on a negative expérience....move on to other AD’s and remain positive!
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 02:01 PM   #120
subboi
"TRF" Member

moral of the story .. buying an omega is not going to get u a hulk .. why do people think that is possible ?
subboi is offline   Reply With Quote