The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 August 2019, 05:33 AM   #61
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
I have been a Rolex guy forever, but I also buy other brands. If you really compare the Seamaster and the Sub, the seamaster wins in every category except brand recognition and with that resale. It can also be had for quite a bit less.

Back to the original question, Speedy Pro. I am wearing mine right now
okay
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 05:38 AM   #62
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Great complications with this model. I’ve been thinking of adding a speedmaster and love this one.
Thanks and the legibility is great too!
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 05:40 AM   #63
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
The speedy pro is the best watch you can get under 5000, period. Perhaps the single most important watch of all time. Unlike the Rolex chrono famous for a guy that made salad dressing, the moonwatch is the real deal. While omega does hype that angle, the watch can’t be overhyped and I dare say with all the strap options as versatile as the DJ. The only down side is the lack of real water resistance.
Can’t agree more! IMHO, the Daytona is a pathetic reason for a watch!
Old 19 August 2019, 05:44 AM   #64
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar144 View Post
Btw Rolex created the first waterproof watch so idk what your talking about in terms of commodified jewelry..
Not true. Rolex didn’t create the first waterproof watch. They adapted existing designs and technology from pocket watches and made the first waterproof WRISTwatch.

They were about 70 years late the the ‘waterproof watch’ game.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 05:50 AM   #65
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
Yes the Seamaster is superior to the modern Sub. You seem to be an overzealous Omega homer who needs to find comfort in your ownership. Quit while you’re ahead.

Sorry pal, like I said, I dare you to tell me one technical aspect that makes the sub superior, that’s right pal, crickets. That’s what I thought. Come on, name one. Unless you think giant lugs make them better, lol.

More accurate nope, how about antimagnetic, nope again pal. You forget I have and own a sub, my favorite in my stable. But I’m not blinded by resale value as most are here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 05:50 AM   #66
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Rolex Submariner vs Omega Seamaster

https://www.fratellowatches.com/role...ega-seamaster/
Old 19 August 2019, 06:04 AM   #67
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry pal, like I said, I dare you to tell me one technical aspect that makes the sub superior, that’s right pal, crickets. That’s what I thought. Come on, name one. Unless you think giant lugs make them better, lol.

More accurate nope, how about antimagnetic, nope again pal. You forget I have and own a sub, my favorite in my stable. But I’m not blinded by resale value as most are here.

Nothing, absolutely nothing in the day to day watch wearing world will show me that my Sub is the inferior watch while on my wrist. Keep your minuscule stats and figures, hope you take great pride in them. Your Omega looks like Tissot’s little brother. I wouldn’t trade my Sub for 10 Omega’s. I don’t even know why I’m entertaining this ridiculous debate

This is the same guy who said the Speedmaster is the most important watch in history.

I will thank you for the laughs though. It’s been real.
Old 19 August 2019, 06:08 AM   #68
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxymax View Post
No need pal. I know what I’ve got, I see and feel the quality and craftsmanship in my watch. You and your buddy here should spend more time in the Omega forums touting their watches.
Old 19 August 2019, 06:08 AM   #69
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Speedmaster. Get one.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 06:10 AM   #70
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
What’s resale have to do with it? Rolex has name recognition, period my friend. Sure speculators dictate quality of a watch now, lol. Try this my friend, get your Daytona out, time something to about 12 minutes, look down and let me know if you can read it? No you can’t can you? Can’t tell if it’s 11, 12, or 13 minutes elapsed. Utterly useless other than ad jewelry. Want a watch, get a speedy, want commodified jewelry, Rolex.

I’m not sure why they do that. Tag Heuer did something similarly dumb with the subdials on their Autavia reedition. You can figure out the elapsed time, but why would you design the dial that way?

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 06:16 AM   #71
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

I’ve ended up with a white gold DD40 and a Speedy Pro. For me, a nice combination. The Speedy is every bit as much fun to wear. Both stone-cold classics.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 06:16 AM   #72
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nothing, absolutely nothing in the day to day watch wearing world will show me that my Sub is the inferior watch while on my wrist. Keep your minuscule stats and figures, hope you take great pride in them. Your Omega looks like Tissot’s little brother. I wouldn’t trade my Sub for 10 Omega’s. I don’t even know why I’m entertaining this ridiculous debate

This is the same guy who said the Speedmaster is the most important watch in history.

See again, all you got is hero warship and idolatry. Again, name one single aspect that makes it superior, yeah. You can’t. That’s called game set and match my friend. All opinion, no fact. Come talk to me when you have some facts to back up what you heard from some of the other speculators here.

Old 19 August 2019, 06:17 AM   #73
perryj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Swatch
Great info! Thanks
Rolex Explorer I and II both sold
Rolex Datejust 16233 and 16234 sold
perryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 06:43 AM   #74
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
See again, all you got is hero warship and idolatry. Again, name one single aspect that makes it superior, yeah. You can’t. That’s called game set and match my friend. All opinion, no fact. Come talk to me when you have some facts to back up what you heard from some of the other speculators here.

In your dreams perhaps. There are varying articles for and against each watch. To me there is no comparison between the iconic Sub and a Seamaster Omega.

“My personal winner is the Rolex Submariner. Granted: I love Rolex. This is precisely because there are few watches that have such a simple, harmonious and classic design. And this also applies to the Submariner. The watch is simple, superbly crafted to perfection. For me personally, the Seamaster has too many design elements. With the continuity of the models, Rolex does everything right - the restrictive model policy gives the watches a certain eternity guarantee. In the end, the choice between the two watches became a question of tradition and innovation. Those who prefer tradition will be happy with the Submariner. In addition, the Submariner is our winner because of its status and what it represents, whether it’s your first salary at a new job or a major milestone in life, you can always celebrate with a Rolex. For those who prefer innovation, the Seamaster is more likely to appeal to them with its more exciting movement and helium valve. In the end, there is value in both watches.”
Old 19 August 2019, 06:50 AM   #75
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I think the Speedmaster is a much better looking watch than the sub. I choose to wear a SD regularly because I get it wet, use the bezel to time things, etc. It’s a better sports watch for my weekends. The Daytona is a non starter for me with the screw pushers. As to what’s inferior to what, I’d take one of the trinity over all of them, but not as a sport beater. Maybe an AP Offshore. That tempts me from time to time.
And as for the sub, and my SD, it looks like 1/2 the sports watches on anyone’s wrist at any given time. Sub, Invicta, Timex, they all look the same. Zero people at work wear a speedy, several wear a Sub/SD. I think the speedy is much less common in the wild. That may appeal to folks as well. That will be the downfall of mine. Too boring and too common, though I do appreciate it for what it is.

十人十色
Old 19 August 2019, 06:51 AM   #76
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Rolex for the win.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 07:05 AM   #77
NYCWATCHCREW
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Hulk
Just picked up a speedy myself...it was the first watch in my collection and I didn’t realize how much I missed it until I experienced watches at a higher price point...I can tell you with confidence that if bought correctly there is no better watch at this price...I highly recommend kringkily for flawless transactions near NYC

NYCWATCHCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 07:06 AM   #78
Pete26
Banned

Quote:
Ok, take the new seamaster. More accurate than the sub, more antimagnetic, just as water tight. Not talking hype here, name one way the sub is superior to the seamaster, I dare you. One technical way? You can’t can you.

I been collecting for 30+ years and I like and wear Rolex, but the older one gets the more one understands there are other great watches. A lot of Johnny come lately’s to the watch hobby buy Rolex as investments and think all their resale is the best, therefore they must me the best. I suggest you do your homework.

I also might suggest you take a look at Walt oditz epic takedown of the explorer I movement and then pick your idol up off the ground.

Walt Odets later admitted he was a bit hard on the Rolex. The whole thing was set up by Richard Paige. Jack Freeman did a service on a Rolex Sub date at the same time and said that the 3135 was a wonderful movement.

Walt was high end movement guy who like Patek and Lange.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk
Pete26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 07:11 AM   #79
Pete26
Banned

My first Speedy was repaired under warranty with a faulty chrono pusher. The authorized repairer scratched the case back. This was in 98 I think have had a few since and flipped them all. Rolex any day of the week.

Pete26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 07:20 AM   #80
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete26 View Post
Walt Odets later admitted he was a bit hard on the Rolex. The whole thing was set up by Richard Paige. Jack Freeman did a service on a Rolex Sub date at the same time and said that the 3135 was a wonderful movement.

Walt was high end movement guy who like Patek and Lange.

His conclusions were valid, and I certainly don’t remember it being any kind of a set up. Other than perhaps knowing what he would likely conclude in advance. That’s not a set up. There’s much that separates a Rolex movement from that of a $500 ETA auto, but his point was that you’re paying a significant premium for the name, like a Tiffany or a Cartier branded diamond ring. Though most WIS understood that already. You’re not getting any fine finishing under that case back. And if you think you are, google AP, Lange, PP, etc. 20 years later it would be interesting to see how it compares to what other brands are pumping out in their new low to mid priced in house movements under the binocular microscope. They do make a rugged movement, and that’s why I’m wearing one as I type this.

十人十色
Old 19 August 2019, 07:50 AM   #81
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In your dreams perhaps. There are varying articles for and against each watch. To me there is no comparison between the iconic Sub and a Seamaster Omega.

“My personal winner is the Rolex Submariner. Granted: I love Rolex. This is precisely because there are few watches that have such a simple, harmonious and classic design. And this also applies to the Submariner. The watch is simple, superbly crafted to perfection. For me personally, the Seamaster has too many design elements. With the continuity of the models, Rolex does everything right - the restrictive model policy gives the watches a certain eternity guarantee. In the end, the choice between the two watches became a question of tradition and innovation. Those who prefer tradition will be happy with the Submariner. In addition, the Submariner is our winner because of its status and what it represents, whether it’s your first salary at a new job or a major milestone in life, you can always celebrate with a Rolex. For those who prefer innovation, the Seamaster is more likely to appeal to them with its more exciting movement and helium valve. In the end, there is value in both watches.”

Again, I see no facts here. Look, I’m sorry it’s hard. You read the instabook, and everyone thinks Rolex is the tops, and you got on the wait list, maybe paid a gray premium and finally got it on your wrist and now here is some old guy telling you different. Sorry, facts are facts.

I agree the sub is an icon and my 16610 has been on my wrist for the better part of 20 years. But while the sub may be best for you (your subjective opinion), that does not mean it’s the technically superior watch (objective facts). If you want to see which one is technically superior, grab the milk in your fridge and get your sub just a little too close to the magnet strip and then tell me what happens. Did that 3 times with my sub, this year. It got magnetized. Guess what does not happen to the omega?

Now which one do I prefer, sub, that’s why it’s on my wrist and my seamaster went. However, that was not because it was inferior, it was because it lacked the meaning the sub has for me.

Old 19 August 2019, 08:01 AM   #82
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Again, I see no facts here. Look, I’m sorry it’s hard. You read the instabook, and everyone thinks Rolex is the tops, and you got on the wait list, maybe paid a gray premium and finally got it on your wrist and now here is some old guy telling you different. Sorry, facts are facts.

I agree the sub is an icon and my 16610 has been on my wrist for the better part of 20 years. But while the sub may be best for you (your subjective opinion), that does not mean it’s the technically superior watch (objective facts). If you want to see which one is technically superior, grab the milk in your fridge and get your sub just a little too close to the magnet strip and then tell me what happens. Did that 3 times with my sub, this year. It got magnetized. Guess what does not happen to the omega?

Now which one do I prefer, sub, that’s why it’s on my wrist and my seamaster went. However, that was not because it was inferior, it was because it lacked the meaning the sub has for me.

Will agree to disagree.
Old 19 August 2019, 08:22 AM   #83
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
5k to spend datejust vs moon watch

Quote:

The forums are filled with people that state their opinions as though they are facts. I respect their opinions but few people trade in facts and compare apples with apples. Still it's a big watch world with options for everyone. I know I love my watches and they are not in my collection as second choices. I also know that for others, my watches are not the best. What we ALL need to realise is that these are subjective opinions.

Factually there are potential floors with the Lamenia movement used in the Speedy Pro. If this were all that mattered then it would not be the iconic watch it is, even with its history. Facts are not all that matters, they're just a part of the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 08:24 AM   #84
Acidstain
"TRF" Member

I vote for the speedy. Both are timeless classics, but since you already have a few rolexes, why not try a different brand.
Acidstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 08:31 AM   #85
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
The forums are filled with people that state their opinions as though they are facts. I respect their opinions but few people trade in facts and compare apples with apples. Still it's a big watch world with options for everyone. I know I love my watches and they are not in my collection as second choices. I also know that for others, my watches are not the best. What we ALL need to realise is that these are subjective opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well said. I do feel that at least the ability to distinguish facts (I.e seamaster is antimagnetic to 15000 gauss whereas the submariner is not) from opinion (I.e. the submariner is better than omega) would help folks gain a better understanding of their timepieces. I try to the best of my ability to stick to facts and when I opine, state as such.

Old 19 August 2019, 08:34 AM   #86
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Which DJ ? It depends on the reference , many DJ varieties...
Speedy is also very nice. I guess it would depend on your
current collection and which DJ you are considering.
If you already have a DJ then speedy .
If the DJ is not a fluted bezel white or blue Dial you are
considering then speedy all the way ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 09:21 AM   #87
perryj
"TRF" Member

Ok, if you could only have 1 would it be speedy or a 16200? ��
My 16200
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 79F320E0-CFE2-4C51-B5A5-A2EB12DDFC3D.jpeg (100.9 KB, 208 views)
Old 19 August 2019, 09:22 AM   #88
perryj
"TRF" Member

Another shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 33F97805-7B71-4ECC-84CE-334C3B2351AB.jpeg (150.5 KB, 212 views)
Old 19 August 2019, 09:47 AM   #89
escobar144
Banned

Watch: Submariner/DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryj View Post
Another shot

buddy im choosing your DJ 10/10 times and its no contest
escobar144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:39 PM   #90
capital
"TRF" Member

People like to rationalize and compare things based on different criteria, but my take on this is that the main KPI to consider is the NSPM: number of smiles per minute you wear it.

OP, which of the 2 models has the largest NSPM? Pick that one.
capital is offline   Reply With Quote