The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 August 2019, 07:28 PM   #1
lucassith
Banned

Speedy or OP

Hello guys, thinking in picking a new watch, it will be my grail watch so far. I’m thinking about the Omega Speedmaster Professional, that’s is gonna cost to me around $4700 brand and new (lower price because of my AD), or I’m thinking to buy my first Rolex, that would be a Rolex Oyster Perpetual White or Blue Dial. I live in Brazil, it’s not a very safe country that you can wear your watches safely, this would more a travel watch and a weekend too. I’m 15 years old and thought that the Omega would be “younger” and better for my age. What do you guys think about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucassith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 07:47 PM   #2
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

To me a grail watch is something specific. Something to save and aim for. You don't seem to have a preference. Are they both grail pieces? If so, get which ever turns up first. They couldn't be less alike, so I assume you're going to end up with both at some stage.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 07:48 PM   #3
ArL
"TRF" Member

I think omega will be a better choice, you can wear it daily and weekends.

ArL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 07:58 PM   #4
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
The Omega Speedmaster is not water resistant, I will go for the Rolex OP 39 white, and put my watch in a nato strap to go under the radar. Do not tell your friends about your watch because the envy is the mother of the human race. May be a tudor black bay 58 is a good option to go even more under the radar.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 08:43 PM   #5
Icehockeyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer ii
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucassith View Post
Hello guys, thinking in picking a new watch, it will be my grail watch so far. I’m thinking about the Omega Speedmaster Professional, that’s is gonna cost to me around $4700 brand and new (lower price because of my AD), or I’m thinking to buy my first Rolex, that would be a Rolex Oyster Perpetual White or Blue Dial. I live in Brazil, it’s not a very safe country that you can wear your watches safely, this would more a travel watch and a weekend too. I’m 15 years old and thought that the Omega would be “younger” and better for my age. What do you guys think about it?

You’re 15 and looking to buy a timepiece of those values?
How, may I ask do you manage that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Icehockeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 08:50 PM   #6
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I have both. The Speedy is an iconic watch, a beautiful looking chronograph and a piece that can be the cornerstone of any collection. If I had to shed one of mine it'd be the Rolex in a heartbeat.

That being said as a general rule, go with the watch you like and try to forget about the name on the dial.

Finally, I'm ignorant about Brazil, but if you genuinely don't feel safe to wear an expensive watch, then forget the mechanicals and buy a G-Shock. They're way cooler, more accurate, a hundred times cheaper, more durable and you won't care much if it gets nicked.
Old 21 August 2019, 08:51 PM   #7
uddind
Banned

15 year old buying thousands dollar watch.. Times have changed big time no pun intended
uddind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 08:52 PM   #8
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Speedy or OP

Speedy pro but you can get one cheaper from a trusted seller, I saw some last night around $3800.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 08:53 PM   #9
hench7
"TRF" Member

You’re 15 and I tell you that your preferences will change over the years. Save your money for now and just get something nice but less valuable.

If you can afford those “grail” watch without your parents buying it for you, much respect to you.

hench7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 08:59 PM   #10
lucassith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehockeyboy View Post

Heheheheh, birthday, Christmas, every holiday I ask a little for my family, I had a IWC Aquatimer that I sold yesterday for $2.500, this helped a lot, been saving for a long time too. I really like Rolex, my fav brand, but they ask so much for so little... I’m in doubt, don’t know.....

Old 21 August 2019, 09:00 PM   #11
Icehockeyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Heheheheh, birthday, Christmas, every holiday I ask a little for my family, I had a IWC Aquatimer that I sold yesterday for $2.500, this helped a lot, been saving for a long time too. I really like Rolex, my fav brand, but they ask so much for so little... I’m in doubt, don’t know.....

Shrewd guy!

Old 21 August 2019, 09:03 PM   #12
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Speedy or OP

Save some money and get one on the forums or from a trusted seller

Either piece is going to be a heavy hitter for someone for your age. Getting started early!
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:14 PM   #13
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
I will go for the Rolex OP 39 white, and put my watch in a nato strap to go under the radar. Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
Current age and "safety" situation I would go this route.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:16 PM   #14
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Really.....

Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 10:00 PM   #15
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

Listen, the omega is a little more under the radar and because of the strap options a very versatile watch and the one I would choose. I also like the fact it’s not a Rolex, meaning that the excessive hype, crazy prices are increasingly uncomfortable to me. The speedy may be artistically one of the most balanced, beautiful, and legible dials ever created

However it also depends on your wearing habits, if you are the kind of guy that wears your watch doing anything and everything, the Rolex is far more water tight and may be the better option for 1 watch. If you can live with the poor water resistance, the Speedmaster is more versatile and gives you a chrono. I’m not sure I would own a speedy if i could only have 1 watch, but I don’t think I could not have a speedy either!

At the end of the day, you appear to be well informed and are considering 2 great watches and neither will let you down.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 10:14 PM   #16
Brew
"TRF" Member

OP won't work, if you can't wear it. If you're anything like I was at 15, you'll beat the tar out of a speedy.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 10:23 PM   #17
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Sounds like the perfect candidate for a Tudor- say the BB58 or Ranger?
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:09 PM   #18
finestdealer
"TRF" Member

Speedy for sure
finestdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:43 PM   #19
lucassith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Listen, the omega is a little more under the radar and because of the strap options a very versatile watch and the one I would choose. I also like the fact it’s not a Rolex, meaning that the excessive hype, crazy prices are increasingly uncomfortable to me. The speedy may be artistically one of the most balanced, beautiful, and legible dials ever created

However it also depends on your wearing habits, if you are the kind of guy that wears your watch doing anything and everything, the Rolex is far more water tight and may be the better option for 1 watch. If you can live with the poor water resistance, the Speedmaster is more versatile and gives you a chrono. I’m not sure I would own a speedy if i could only have 1 watch, but I don’t think I could not have a speedy either!

At the end of the day, you appear to be well informed and are considering 2 great watches and neither will let you down.

Here in Brazil I will not use a lot, just in some special occasions, the water resistant of the Speddy bother me, I can’t go to the pool with it?? I have a dream of buying a Rolex, but the prices are crazy, I have a currently collection of a Breitling Aerospace, Tag Heuer Calibre S and a Tudor Prince 31mm. Don’t know what to do... which one looks better in a 15 year old boy??

Old 21 August 2019, 11:45 PM   #20
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
A G-Shock, maybe…

Old 21 August 2019, 11:54 PM   #21
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Here in Brazil I will not use a lot, just in some special occasions, the water resistant of the Speddy bother me, I can’t go to the pool with it?? I have a dream of buying a Rolex, but the prices are crazy, I have a currently collection of a Breitling Aerospace, Tag Heuer Calibre S and a Tudor Prince 31mm. Don’t know what to do... which one looks better in a 15 year old boy??

I know the water resistance bothers me as well. I mean there are some that think for basic swimming as long as it is serviced regularly can be ok. I’m not comfortable taking that risk however as I have a sub (16610) and Daytona (116520) for that. If price is a concern, 5 digit subs and explorer I can be had for “reasonable” prices. The Tudor gmt would and should be considered as well as it is under the radar, has a date and gmt function and is water tight.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:10 AM   #22
Ragna
Banned

Speedy or OP

Quote:
I live in Brazil, it’s not a very safe country that you can wear your watches safely

Dont be bringing this safety bull sht talk..

Ive been robbed in france and london.

Bottom line is: know where youre going and be aware of your surroundings.. everywhere in the world.

About the watch: Omega or Rolex.. just make sure you get an automatic. A manual wind sounds cool but maybe not as your first and only watch.
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:21 AM   #23
Icehockeyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hang on, you mentioned earlier about just selling an IWC, with no mention of a ‘collection ‘
Would you care to post pictures of this collection?
I’m sorry but it’s now sounding a bit far fetched, a 15 year old with a collection like that,,,?
Unless of course you have very wealthy parents, having said that you mentioned saving up and birthday/ Christmas money etc

Old 22 August 2019, 12:22 AM   #24
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
The Tudor gmt would and should be considered as well as it is under the radar, has a date and gmt function and is water tight.
Under the radar has not been my experience. I have had mine for a little over a year and the thing has been called out traveling in several different states and situations. Well over any Rolex I have owned....although I will assume mostly by fellow WIS.

Solid recommendation for the OP though.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:28 AM   #25
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Tudor.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:36 AM   #26
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Hang on, you mentioned earlier about just selling an IWC, with no mention of a ‘collection ‘
I’m sorry but it’s now sounding a bit far fetched, a 15 year old with a collection like that,,,?
Unless of course you have very wealthy parents, having said that you mentioned saving up and birthday/ Christmas money etc

Think the OP mentioned a house in Miami ....he also mentioned he owned a vintage daytona already... go figure

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=683866
Old 22 August 2019, 12:39 AM   #27
rcclarkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMP 300m
+1 for OP. Here's why:

-You've mentioned several times that you have always wanted a Rolex. If that's what your gut is telling you, you'll inevitably be unhappy with the Speedy
-Put it on a NATO and no one will ever look at your wrist
-I'd argue it's less dressy than the Speedy and the added water resistance will suit the lifestyle of an active teenager
-The white face OP is the more youthful look
-Despite it looking more youthful, the OP is a timeless piece with the classic oyster case that has an "old guy who has done some cool stuff" look to it (to quote the Grey Nato guys). You'll never tire of it.

Use the forums for reference and research, but don't let them decide on your choice. Ultimately just trust your gut and you'll end up with the right one for you.

Don't forget to follow up with photos once you've made your decision!
rcclarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:00 AM   #28
lucassith
Banned

Quote:

For sure buddy, almost every of these were gifts from my dad, the IWC that I sold, I bought with my money back I december. I’m out of home and don’t have a pic of my Tudor... but the other three are here to you

Old 22 August 2019, 01:10 AM   #29
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
The Omega Speedmaster is not water resistant
The Speedmaster is water resistant to 50m.

I probably wouldn't swim with it, but I wash mine all the time.

Old 22 August 2019, 01:43 AM   #30
lucassith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcclarkie View Post
+1 for OP. Here's why:

-You've mentioned several times that you have always wanted a Rolex. If that's what your gut is telling you, you'll inevitably be unhappy with the Speedy

-Put it on a NATO and no one will ever look at your wrist

-I'd argue it's less dressy than the Speedy and the added water resistance will suit the lifestyle of an active teenager

-The white face OP is the more youthful look

-Despite it looking more youthful, the OP is a timeless piece with the classic oyster case that has an "old guy who has done some cool stuff" look to it (to quote the Grey Nato guys). You'll never tire of it.

Use the forums for reference and research, but don't let them decide on your choice. Ultimately just trust your gut and you'll end up with the right one for you.

Don't forget to follow up with photos once you've made your decision!

Friday I will go to my AD, and will try both, the one that I fell in love, I’m gonna take it, like the Omega a lot, but Rolex is Rolex, don’t know yet, will see on Friday...