The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 August 2011, 05:38 PM   #1
paulbucknall

Time gain after service

I got my Datejust back from a service by Rolex UK last week and have closely been keeping an eye on it's time keeping which seems to be pretty much a 6 second gain per day.
This is obviously just in COSC/Rolex limits but you would be happy with this especially just after a service?
My feelings are that I will return it to the AD who I had the service done through next week
paulbucknall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 06:39 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbucknall View Post
I got my Datejust back from a service by Rolex UK last week and have closely been keeping an eye on it's time keeping which seems to be pretty much a 6 second gain per day.
This is obviously just in COSC/Rolex limits but you would be happy with this especially just after a service?
My feelings are that I will return it to the AD who I had the service done through next week
It is very important to understand that a new watch off the shelf or newly serviced and regulated watch may need a break-in period of a few weeks/month or so to settle in to your wrist and wearing habits.Plus it needs to be fully manually wound to start with around 40 full crown turns clockwise and must have a good daily power reserve to perform accurately.Now this will allow the watch to find its true beat rate and distribute the oils evenly around the moving parts.You could try different resting positions while off wrist at night try vertical with crown up first.The most important thing with any mechanical watch is consistency, so although yours is gaining like you say 6 seconds.Now if its consistent then its very very accurate watch but give it time to settle in.Don't be in a hurry to get the back off for a few seconds to have it re-regulated.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 09:36 PM   #3
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
Agreed-- my GMT came back from service running bit fast but now after a couple months it's running right on the screws.
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2011, 12:13 AM   #4
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
It's within COSC and that's all Rolex is interested in.

My watchmaker says he won't regulate a watch that is within COSC.

After about a year, my Explorer was gaining 13 seconds a day, so I took it in for a regulation and it has been gaining 2 seconds a day for a year now.

My DJ was gaining 2 seconds a day when I bought it and now almost a year later, it's gaining about 6-7 seconds a day.

I'll take it in for a regulation when it's clearly out of COSC and of course the regulation will be free, as it was with the Explorer, because of the two year warranty.

So, my advice is not to worry about it and in a few months, if it crosses that 6 second threshold, take it in for a regulation.

A newly serviced Rolex comes back with a warranty.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I would take a watch back if it came from servicing and was running 6 seconds fast...

It may change by a couple of seconds after a while, but I think that it would never pick up such a span..

If you are disatisfied with the performance directly after a service, I would believe that their warranty would demand reasonable satisfaction..