The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 June 2018, 02:07 AM   #1
yeeji
"TRF" Member

16800 Legit Check

Family member picked up this 16800. Would appreciate anyone that can weigh in on questionable aspects if any. Based on my very foundation level knowledge it seems like an unfortunate, however normal luminova service dial and hand set. The bezel insert markings however seemed a bit thin and I was concerned with the slightly off center pearl, etc. Wondering if this is a normal service part or inauthentic..

Very grateful for any feedback on the whole thing, thanks! Movement, case etc all look normal to me, and serial number checks out for the period (seller told them 1985 ish).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 01744DBF-40A5-49AE-BDA4-48724B4BD7E2.jpeg (96.4 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpeg 27190B4D-83D8-4940-8AAE-3F6ED081C19F.jpeg (94.6 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpeg AC498201-1045-489E-8E1D-14E48ECAD122.jpeg (109.1 KB, 474 views)
yeeji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 12:01 PM   #2
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Dial is not original, bezel also looks non rolex to me
Old 13 June 2018, 06:49 PM   #3
yeeji
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Dial is not original, bezel also looks non rolex to me
Thanks for chiming in. Dial not original as in Rolex service replacement (because tritium would period correct?), or as in completely non-Rolex? Bezel insert is what I have the most doubts on right now myself.
Old 13 June 2018, 06:52 PM   #4
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Can you open the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 07:10 PM   #5
yeeji
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Can you open the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They told me they did when originally at the jeweler and it was indeed a 3035 that they compared to photos online. I’m back in NYC for the week for some unfortunate family issues but I’m going to try and be make my way down to RSC. Don’t have the means to open caseback myself.

I also noticed the bezel doesn’t ratchet at all and the action isn’t smooth. I believe 16800 should be ratcheting unidirectional? I’m hoping this thing isn’t too much of a frankenwatch :/
Old 13 June 2018, 07:25 PM   #6
KLEJNOT_NILU
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeji View Post
Thanks for chiming in. Dial not original as in Rolex service replacement, or as in completely non-Rolex? Bezel insert is what I have the most doubts on right now myself.
That Swiss Made on the dial looks too far from each other. PIP is misaligned. I would say both parts are non-genuine.

If the rest of the watch is real that's a pretty bad example of butchered 16800
KLEJNOT_NILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 12:26 AM   #7
yeeji
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLEJNOT_NILU View Post
That Swiss Made on the dial looks too far from each other. PIP is misaligned. I would say both parts are non-genuine.

If the rest of the watch is real that's a pretty bad example of butchered 16800
Looking at the position of the S and E relative to the indices and I think you might be right. Do you think the pip is aftermarket only, or the entire bezel and/or insert?
Old 14 June 2018, 12:45 AM   #8
KLEJNOT_NILU
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you think the pip is aftermarket only, or the entire bezel and/or insert?
Whole insert probably. The 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,11,12 etc dive markers on the bezel are also too slim. The Did the watch come without bracelet? Open that thing up, cause theres too many inconsistencies
Old 15 June 2018, 01:07 PM   #9
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

The insert is definitely aftermarket. I think the bezel ring itself is good because it does seem to have wear commensurate with age. Perhaps while replacing the insert, the click spring or the washer was bent or pinched, causing it not to function properly.

I don't think the service dial is the end of the world if your relative is happy with the watch and got a decent price. By 1985, they had transitioned to the gloss dials with white gold surrounding the luminous plots. So the appearance now isn't so much different except for swiss-made instead of t<25.

Many of the early gloss dials had a flaw in the paint that caused cracks/crazing so they were replaced during service. They call them "spider dials" nowadays.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 02:57 PM   #10
Slates
"TRF" Member

This is the second fake watch you’ve posted in a few days. Smells fishy... :)
Slates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 05:41 PM   #11
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slates View Post
That's a genuine watch, it's just not all original because it has a replacement dial and bezel (and no bracelet).
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 09:06 PM   #12
KLEJNOT_NILU
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
because it has a replacement dial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKflyer View Post
So the appearance now isn't so much different except for swiss-made instead of t<25.

But look at how far away "Swiss Made" is from eachother. I don't think i ever saw a non tritium dial with a print like that. Do you mean replacement as in non-genuine dial?
Old 16 June 2018, 01:51 AM   #13
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

I only claim it is a replacement dial because that model (16800) should have a tritium dial. I think the dial itself is genuine, swiss made over 5 ticks, just maybe not so common. Maybe a service replacement or not.. The bezel insert appears aftermarket to me.
Old 23 June 2018, 04:59 PM   #14
yeeji
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slates View Post
I have no idea what this is meant to contribute to the conversation, and is baseless considering there is no other owned watch in my post history...

Anyway, I felt compelled to get feedback directly from RSC. The bezel mechanism was indeed in need of a new spring, the insert and crystal were non-Rolex, so these will all need to be rectified. The 3035 movement (including date wheel), case, hands and dial were all genuine Rolex parts. To the above poster that asked, yes it did come with a 93150 bracelet that I had taken off already. It has 593 endlinks and an I12 stamped clasp. RSC said these were okay as well.

I did a lot more digging through forums and the 5 tick Swiss Made and text spacing on the dial seem to match up to the 2003-2005 F serials I've seen. Someone possibly had it replaced/swapped around then.

Thanks so much to everyone that helped weigh in, and I'm happy I have more definitive info now.
Old 23 June 2018, 05:22 PM   #15
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

You're welcome, I'm pleased we were correct in our assessment.
Old 23 June 2018, 08:37 PM   #16
Slates
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have no idea what this is meant to contribute to the conversation, and is baseless considering there is no other owned watch in my post history...

Anyway, I felt compelled to get feedback directly from RSC. The bezel mechanism was indeed in need of a new spring, the insert and crystal were non-Rolex, so these will all need to be rectified. The 3035 movement (including date wheel), case, hands and dial were all genuine Rolex parts. To the above poster that asked, yes it did come with a 93150 bracelet that I had taken off already. It has 593 endlinks and an I12 stamped clasp. RSC said these were okay as well.

I did a lot more digging through forums and the 5 tick Swiss Made and text spacing on the dial seem to match up to the 2003-2005 F serials I've seen. Someone possibly had it replaced/swapped around then.

Thanks so much to everyone that helped weigh in, and I'm happy I have more definitive info now.
Apologies, I was incorrect. However, it appears you deleted your other thread...
Slates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 01:33 AM   #17
KLEJNOT_NILU
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did a lot more digging through forums and the 5 tick Swiss Made and text spacing on the dial seem to match up to the 2003-2005 F serials I've seen.
I learned something new today. Glad the watch is ok.

Tags
16800 , 1985 , bezel insert , service dial , submariner