The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 June 2018, 01:30 AM   #31
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Great watch and one of my favourites

But I’d say it’s pretty easy to categorise. In fact the clue is in the name

And as for letting stickers fall of themselves. Sorry but

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 03:17 AM   #32
emtee
"TRF" Member

Lovely watch. I wanted to buy it a few years ago but it looked too big on my skinny wrists. Went with the Explorer 1 instead.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 04:13 AM   #33
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelpurple View Post
Thanks

In a crowded market of “me to” watches following the standard genres, Rolex has made a genre that no one has. Yet again, since most of the other genres Rolex was key in making.

IMHO the closest that actually comes to the Explorer is the Casio G-shock series
What do you think of its legibility so far? I really want to want this watch, but every time I glance at the black dial in store or in pics, I have difficulty picking up the local time right away. I think my eyes are naturally drawn to the GMT hand, and I have to mentally remind myself that I'm trying to find the hour hand instead.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 05:14 PM   #34
HACKNSACK44
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Congrats!!
Old 24 June 2018, 08:51 PM   #35
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks

In a crowded market of “me to” watches following the standard genres, Rolex has made a genre that no one has. Yet again, since most of the other genres Rolex was key in making.

IMHO the closest that actually comes to the Explorer is the Casio G-shock series

Its hard as nails, it can accompany you all around the world, or down the street. In water, in cold, in heat, in the desert, in the jungle, in the boardroom, in the garden, on the beach and in the bedroom (did I say that !!) and with the queen for tea ;)
If it is that "hard" then it might be able to survive without the stickers on . Great choice (not that there are many alternatives if you wish to purchase a new SS sports watch from an AD) and hope you enjoy it for many years to come. Thanks for sharing
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 10:21 PM   #36
Ckci
"TRF" Member

Watch: FedEx 4 next 1
5FC4C3F6-93DA-4527-9B4B-33B4E1C3AADE.jpegI really enjoyed this watch. I gave mine to my son because I knew he’d also enjoy it. He’s wears it all the time.
Ckci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 11:07 PM   #37
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
What do you think of its legibility so far? I really want to want this watch, but every time I glance at the black dial in store or in pics, I have difficulty picking up the local time right away. I think my eyes are naturally drawn to the GMT hand, and I have to mentally remind myself that I'm trying to find the hour hand instead.
It’s personal taste.
The hands are called “ghost style” as the centres are blacked out to make them look like they are hovering.
I think it’s the case with all GMT watches that you need to get used to it.
It’s definitely not as clear as my Montblanc 1858 but it’s much cooler.
Black watches do take more getting used to, the polar is a little bit clearer.
After a week I can see the time instantly. At night it’s easier as the lume is super bright.

Just in a shop now looking for makeup with my wife :( but at least I can look at my watch :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6BD85528-A066-4D03-AA99-4688C33223AA.jpeg (114.7 KB, 65 views)
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 11:13 PM   #38
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Great choice (not that there are many alternatives if you wish to purchase a new SS sports watch from an AD)... Thanks for sharing

Actually I asked myself this question.

Let’s say you are in an alternative universe

This universe is identical to this one except there is a waiting list of 2 years for both the submariner and the Explorer II, also the second hand value was the same relatively (ie higher then new, although the submariner is £650 more, when you are spending this much on a watch, it doesn’t make much difference).

Now imagine you walk into a shop and wanted to buy one or the other and miraculously there are both of these two on display, both cancelled orders.
What would you buy ?

In this scenario, I would want the Explorer ii every time. It’s thinner then the submariner, larger display and GMT.
To be honest I would take it over the GMT-master as well (bezel font too garish, bezel too loose, can’t easily see GMT hand, etc. - that’s another story).

Therefore, since this was the case, I should get the Explorer ii. If I bought the submariner I would be getting it only because of the excitement of actually finding one and the resale value - which are the wrong reasons to buy a watch and will lead to an expensive flip or unhappiness.

QED
Old 24 June 2018, 11:14 PM   #39
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Great pics - thanks for sharing !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 11:16 PM   #40
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Love this piece! Congratulations!
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 11:47 PM   #41
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
It’s beautiful. I’m on a list at my AD. Can’t wait. Thanks for sharing your insights and your passion and enthusiasm for this piece!

Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 June 2018, 11:51 PM   #42
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Congrats...I think it's one of the best modern watches made, IMO.

Agree with your thoughts on the black.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 12:26 AM   #43
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Congrats! I couldn't agree more. I absolutely love the black Explorer II for all of the reasons you articulate. You are right, that for a big watch it is surprisingly svelte. You touch on one of the subtle things that I really love about it, and that is the slightly raised crystal. If my GMT Master II had a raised crystal I would wear it more.

To me the black Explorer II is the ultimate one and only watch. I could easily have it and nothing else. I'll always have others but none will ever get much wrist time. I am, however strongly considering adding the polar. I like the model that much.

Enjoy it! Well played sir.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 12:35 AM   #44
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 173rdabn View Post
I really liked my black Explorer II, but traded it for an Explorer II polar. Very legible for my old and fading eyesight.
Those extra 2mm on the Explorer II really are a lot easier on the eyes versus the 40mm models. I can barely ready the chronometer statement on my GMT Master II. Can easily read it on the Explorer II.

I agree that for legibility the polar is better yet.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 12:37 AM   #45
pabs
"TRF" Member

Stunning... wear it in good health.
pabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 02:23 AM   #46
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This universe is identical to this one except there is a waiting list of 2 years for both the submariner and the Explorer II, also the second hand value was the same relatively (ie higher then new, although the submariner is £650 more, when you are spending this much on a watch, it doesn’t make much difference).

Now imagine you walk into a shop and wanted to buy one or the other and miraculously there are both of these two on display, both cancelled orders.
What would you buy ?

In this scenario, I would want the Explorer ii every time. It’s thinner then the submariner, larger display and GMT.
To be honest I would take it over the GMT-master as well (bezel font too garish, bezel too loose, can’t easily see GMT hand, etc. - that’s another story).

Therefore, since this was the case, I should get the Explorer ii. If I bought the submariner I would be getting it only because of the excitement of actually finding one and the resale value - which are the wrong reasons to buy a watch and will lead to an expensive flip or unhappiness.

QED
Well then you made the right choice
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 09:58 PM   #47
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:

What would you buy ?

QED
very very very good how you described this. I think a lot of people would actually choose for the explorer than. I have both, i must say that if i had to choose i really CANT between these watches, the explorer is much more Original and stands real out so i would probably do so to.!.
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 10:44 PM   #48
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
very very very good how you described this. I think a lot of people would actually choose for the explorer than. I have both, i must say that if i had to choose i really CANT between these watches, the explorer is much more Original and stands real out so i would probably do so to.!.
thanks

I do fancy the white gold submariner, but that's probably a long time in the future ;)
Old 27 June 2018, 12:15 AM   #49
lovetherolex
Banned

Congrats and enjoy
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 02:35 AM   #50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655+216570

There is no better choice in my opinion. You have chosen wisely. Went to the AD for a sub or GMT and fell in love with the Exp2.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro
218225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 04:34 AM   #51
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Great looking watch; congratulations!!!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote