The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 May 2018, 02:14 AM   #1
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
$500M of Watches Destroyed

This may be old news to some, but I found it interesting. Says a lot about the industry as a whole. A couple of manufacturers have “lists”, while others are destroying unsold watches to protect image and pricing.

A look into the future ?

https://www.theguardian.com/business...buyback-policy
Old 26 May 2018, 02:19 AM   #2
Rolex85
"TRF" Member

wow. i had not seen that. thanks for sharing. I guess this could be another reason Rolex is slowing down production. with less going to stores it means less going to resale market and keeping the brand "exclusive". In the long run this would be cheaper i would imagine compared to having to go the Cartier route of taking back 500 million worth of items.
Rolex85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 02:37 AM   #3
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Interesting.

I'm sure the £400m is a retail number though, as it's a catchier headline. The actual cost to Richemont is likely just a fraction of that.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 03:17 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

it protects the value of the brand.... at least what value there is. I think luxury watches on sale is about the worst image imaginable for a brand.

Honestly i would do the same. If the best i could get for one of my watches was a tiny fraction of retail, i would throw it away before i sold it to someone else.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 03:24 AM   #5
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Interesting.

I'm sure the £400m is a retail number though, as it's a catchier headline. The actual cost to Richemont is likely just a fraction of that.

If their cost is 30% of retail, that’s approximately $130M USD.
Old 26 May 2018, 03:26 AM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
If their cost is 30% of retail, that’s approximately $130M USD.
i think its the other way around... 60% of retail. Otherwise that is a huge margin. Rolex AD's is like 62% of RRP. I assume they buy back for the same price they sold the watches for.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 26 May 2018, 05:21 AM   #7
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Honestly i would do the same. If the best i could get for one of my watches was a tiny fraction of retail, i would throw it away before i sold it to someone else.
As would I.

What does that say about the luxury watch market future ?

Or is this an indicator of said future ?

Old 26 May 2018, 05:40 AM   #8
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Zenith bought back all their watches from Ashford 2 years ago, I guess this is what happened to them. Destroyed rather than see them at 50% msrp.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 06:59 AM   #9
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Good business move, protects the brand and ADs from sitting on inventory that can't move without a fire sale, except then I can't buy a Lange brand new for 50%+ off
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 01:55 PM   #10
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
Interesting read. Thanks for posting.
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 03:57 PM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Yes it is a look in. Many brands will be gone in ~5 years in my opinion. If they are struggling now when the stock market is hot...god help them when it turns.
Old 26 May 2018, 08:54 PM   #12
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Yes it is a look in. Many brands will be gone in ~5 years in my opinion. If they are struggling now when the stock market is hot...god help them when it turns.
Agreed

Will add ................. in ~ 10-15 years, ~ 50% of brands will disappear, and in ~ 40 years all but very few will no longer exist.

I think there is a way for many to survive, but their refusal to accept change solidifies their doom.
Old 26 May 2018, 10:07 PM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
Good business move, protects the brand and ADs from sitting on inventory that can't move without a fire sale, except then I can't buy a Lange brand new for 50%+ off
sounds bad to say, would you want a Lange that everyone knows is only worth 50% of retail? For me its not the price specifically but the on sale nature of the product.

Im always reminded of one of my favorite stories about my grandpa. He was going on a vacation and had been looking to buy some boat shoes before the trip. He had been eyeing a pair and then the next week they went on sale. He bought another paid instead. When asked why he responded "they went on sale, there is probably something wrong with them"
Old 26 May 2018, 11:05 PM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I think so, many punters are already jumping ship to Rolex and AP and PP as they are the solid, reliable bets now and we can all see the younger gens will not be so interested in watch tech in future, they are not even that interested in each other, just showing off pics and gossip with them.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 11:08 PM   #15
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Interesting.

I agree
brkanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 11:28 PM   #16
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Their cost of goods will be be around 20% at most.
Plus, the watches weren’t tossed into an incinerator, they were stripped and recycled, so movements, straps, cases dial hands will all be reused.
I’m sure many complete watches will just be warehoused out of sight, then gradually dribbled back into the market
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 11:37 PM   #17
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Definitely a way to control supply and demand. Great read. I was surprised that they didn’t see it as “profit is profit”. I guess if your aim is to only have the elite of the elite wearing your brand, that’s one way to do it.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 12:01 AM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csfischer20 View Post
Definitely a way to control supply and demand. Great read. I was surprised that they didn’t see it as “profit is profit”. I guess if your aim is to only have the elite of the elite wearing your brand, that’s one way to do it.
discounts create a price ceiling and then its the expected maximum price anyone will pay going forward. PM watches have this issue and even Rolex. No one pays 35K for a watch, because no one else does. If everyone else did, then you might too. The price isnt really the point, its that no one wants to buy a product someone else gets for way, way less. Without being fairly certain that won't happen, people buy something else instead.

Long term it devalues the brand and a high end brand becomes a lower end brand.
Old 27 May 2018, 12:03 AM   #19
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by csfischer20 View Post
the game has elevated and the lesser luxury brands are taking
a serious beating... Sad but true.
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 05:49 AM   #20
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

This is why it’s important to price your product correctly.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 03:08 PM   #21
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I have a very hard time believing they bought back and "destroyed" anything from Lange, VC, Roger Dubuis, JLC, IWC, Piaget, and Cartier, as they don't make very many watches, except for Cartier and I think the latter sells well. I'm guessing these are mostly from the lesser brands in their portfolios like B&M, etc.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 05:15 PM   #22
jh8cw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I have a very hard time believing they bought back and "destroyed" anything from Lange, VC, Roger Dubuis, JLC, IWC, Piaget, and Cartier, as they don't make very many watches, except for Cartier and I think the latter sells well. I'm guessing these are mostly from the lesser brands in their portfolios like B&M, etc.
It'd be interesting to see the breakdown for what was bought back and 'dismantled.' There are definitely JLC, Lange, etc watches that are all over Chrono24 and grey dealers / forum sellers at 30% discounts.
jh8cw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 04:00 AM   #23
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20 June 2018, 03:01 AM   #24
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
discounts create a price ceiling and then its the expected maximum price anyone will pay going forward. PM watches have this issue and even Rolex. No one pays 35K for a watch, because no one else does. If everyone else did, then you might too. The price isnt really the point, its that no one wants to buy a product someone else gets for way, way less. Without being fairly certain that won't happen, people buy something else instead.

Long term it devalues the brand and a high end brand becomes a lower end brand.

I got 5% on my 44. I’m not sure if discounts on this piece are normal. In the UK I don’t think they are but the US it seems to be a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 03:30 AM   #25
Shiny1
Banned

Thanks for posting
Shiny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 05:06 AM   #26
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I've heard of this but did not know it was that large a number.. wow thanks for posting!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 08:45 AM   #27
egon
"TRF" Member

It's to preserve brand image. It makes sense. Once the brand becomes "cheap" trying to get back to premium status is extremely expensive. The best example is probably Coach bags.
egon is offline   Reply With Quote