The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 June 2018, 02:41 PM   #1
unlisted
"TRF" Member

Has anyone had luck with Lange AD negotiaions?

I would prefer to establish a relationship with an AD and buy new, but ~40% depreciation from retail upon stamping the papers keeps me from even entertaining retail...

Has anyone managed to attain a discount from a Lange boutique/AD? If so, mind sharing ballpark of %?

Of course the story is all the same over the phone (which I understand), and I'm not currently near any dealers. Would gladly travel to have a serious conversation, but I'm not going to fly anywhere to be told that retail + local tax (with a complimentary Perrier, of course) is the best they can do.

I'm willing to pay my fair share to do things the true blue way, but on a piece that's $50k-$80k retail, before tax, I just can't justify essentially losing $15k-$30k of value by walking out the door...

unlisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 03:26 PM   #2
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I got 25% off the bat from an AD. IMO Lange is best bought used, the warranty paper doesn’t even have a space for the buyer’s name, so it really makes no difference as long as the condition is right.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 03:33 PM   #3
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

I went to the same AD as Vaxe for the same exact model, the Saxonia Thin 37mm, but I did not get the same discount. In fact, I received a substantially smaller discount. So it also depends on the person you talk to at a dealer, too.
tryptobphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 04:29 PM   #4
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

25% right off the bat for a saxonia thin 37mm is really good.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 09:04 PM   #5
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryptobphan View Post
I went to the same AD as Vaxe for the same exact model, the Saxonia Thin 37mm, but I did not get the same discount. In fact, I received a substantially smaller discount. So it also depends on the person you talk to at a dealer, too.
Sounds like Vaxe is a better negotiator
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 01:21 AM   #6
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
I got about 22% off MSRP for my Saxonia at an AD, and they included an extra set of Lange crocodile straps at no charge. Plus they agreed to give me $250 for my old Tag Heuer, which is a piece no other dealer was willing to give me anything for, and I have been trying to sell privately for over 3 years. Overall, I was happy with the deal.
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 02:02 AM   #7
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Also curious on this one , and will extend the question to Lange Boutiques- do they discount at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 08:04 AM   #8
Justindo
"TRF" Member

In the past, boutiques have refused to discount even though they were eager to throw in some freebies (straps, pouches, winders, etc.). Recently, however, I've heard that they are starting to agree to small "price considerations" (don't use the word "discount" when discussing price with them!) on certain models. I haven't personally experienced this because I haven't asked, but this is what I've heard. I've heard, however, that these considerations are somewhat modest (15% or under). No doubt you can do better at an AD and 25% seems like a good and fair discount.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 08:08 AM   #9
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Bought abroad and got VAT plus 10% off, so around 30% off for Saxonia.
Old 11 June 2018, 08:21 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Was only offered 10% off a north of $120K ZW! Bloody London for you. I'd probably fly to Ita or Ger to buy one.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 08:30 AM   #11
eviperman
"TRF" Member

my boutique experiences...

Hi,

I have only dealt with Lange boutiques and my experience has varied depending on location.

At 2 boutiques in Asia, I was not offered any "discount" and then when pressed, one offered 10%. In Europe however, I've received anywhere from 10-25% depending on the model (BEFORE Vat refunds). A Zeitwerk was 20% off, and then with tax, received another 17%, so overall around 37% off stated retail price. On another higher priced watch ($250K+) I was offered 25% off, so it really does depend on the model and also it's original price (the more expensive the watch, the bigger the discount I've been offered).

It does depend on the person you speak too as well, but personally, Europe has been the best place for me to purchase ALS directly at boutiques, especially with the VAT refund.

Hope that helps :)

As an aside, the best I can typically get at a Patek AD for dress watches is 5-12% (depending on model) before VAT refund.
eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 11:19 AM   #12
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve gotten 25%, maybe 28%, can’t remember exactly
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 11:24 AM   #13
tubojunk
"TRF" Member

25% off Lange 1 at an AD
Rolex 126610LN
tubojunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 11:24 AM   #14
Plai
"TRF" Member

My 20% discount pales in comparison to what all of you are getting. Luckily I didn’t have to pay any tax.
Plai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 11:25 AM   #15
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
So is it true the more expensive the watch is, the larger a discount (percentage-wise) you can negotiate at an AD?
I feel like I made out pretty well, considering that some grey dealers are selling preowned versions of my watch for not much less than what I paid, and in some cases, even more.
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 11:49 AM   #16
FrmrHoss
"TRF" Member

Clearly I'm a bad negotiator too - was only able to get a little more than 15% from an AD (not boutique), with some extra straps thrown in.
FrmrHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 12:45 PM   #17
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 12:16 AM   #18
jvd99
"TRF" Member

I've been happy with the secondary market. Recently got a Richard Lange platinum still under warranty for about 45% off retail. Very easy transaction with an east coast jewelry store. Currently looking for my next pre-owned ALS. Never even considered an AD. Retail, even with a 25% discount (if I'm lucky or just good), is still too expensive for me and I'm not willing to take the initial loss of value drubbing.
jvd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 08:28 AM   #19
MrBenF
"TRF" Member

Has anyone had luck with Lange AD negotiaions?

When I was in HK in March, I was offered 12% (plus a bunch of gifts) for the 1815 Chronograph from one of the boutiques. Also worth mentioning is that they offered an extra year’s warranty (total 3yrs) plus factory visit. At the time, none of the HK ADs had the watch. I wanted 17% so ended up walking away. This was prior to the Apr 1 price increase.

My local AD offered nothing since it’s a ‘new sought-after’ model. So much for building a relationship.

The previous model (WG w/ White dial), a couple of grey dealers had BNIBs for 30-33% below retail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrBenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 06:12 PM   #20
georgewang
Banned

Going to Hong Kong, Germany and italy....which Ad do you think can give me a good deal on a saxonia ie 25 percent off? Obviously not going near a boutique.
georgewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 09:44 PM   #21
jvd99
"TRF" Member

There are a few ALS listed on the TRF non-Rolex for sale thread
jvd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 12:50 PM   #22
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
In Japan, zero discount. Buy 2nd hand or grey is a better way to go here.
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 08:18 PM   #23
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
27.5 per cent on my Datograph Perpetual Tourbillon. Only 18 per cent on the latest Lumen however.
Old 22 November 2020, 05:14 PM   #24
johnson184
"TRF" Member

Confession... never been to Europe or out of the US really. Obviously going to wait until it’s safe to travel again, but hearing about these discounts and VAT from European ADs is really intriguing. Sounds like the best way is to try buying a Saxonia Thin 37mm is from either an AD or boutique in Germany? Forgive me but how exactly does VAT refund work? You haggle down 10% or more on the watch... then pay 20% less on top of that? By showing a US passport? Is there something I’m missing? If there’s no catch... I may have to start traveling overseas.
johnson184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 10:25 PM   #25
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson184 View Post
Confession... never been to Europe or out of the US really. Obviously going to wait until it’s safe to travel again, but hearing about these discounts and VAT from European ADs is really intriguing. Sounds like the best way is to try buying a Saxonia Thin 37mm is from either an AD or boutique in Germany? Forgive me but how exactly does VAT refund work? You haggle down 10% or more on the watch... then pay 20% less on top of that? By showing a US passport? Is there something I’m missing? If there’s no catch... I may have to start traveling overseas.
You should start travelling overseas irrespective of the cost of watches. The world is a wondrous and varied place.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 10:26 PM   #26
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson184 View Post
The VAT refund is less than 20% (except in Scandinavia) since you take off the 19-20% VAT (it is 19% in Germany). So for Germany you would end up paying: <RRP> / (100% + 19%) = ~84% of the sticker price, i.e. 16% discount / refund .
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 12:20 AM   #27
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
You should start travelling overseas irrespective of the cost of watches. The world is a wondrous and varied place.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 06:57 AM   #28
Hafez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post

That’s a very valid reply actually

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hafez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 08:47 PM   #29
Ohiorolex
"TRF" Member

I was under the impression that getting the VAT back wasn’t always that straightforward. Isn’t done via third party with potential for fraud or fees?
Ohiorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 09:29 PM   #30
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiorolex View Post
I was under the impression that getting the VAT back wasn’t always that straightforward. Isn’t done via third party with potential for fraud or fees?

Depends on the AD/boutique. A few years ago I bought a Lange in Germany at an AD and the store handled the VAT directly and I got 100% of it back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote