The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 June 2018, 03:54 AM   #1
Drives550
"TRF" Member

Oysterquartz - water in through mis-aligned case back

Hello - I ran my OQ under the tap with a bit of soap and water, noticed a hazy (condensation) under the crystal after. Condensation went away over night, then I wore the watch the next day and it came back. Within 4 days of the first water-logging, I've now taken it to RSC here in NYC.

RSC says the case back gasket had not been aligned proper when it was last screwed down and that's where the water came in. Watchmaker says it appears fine, but they're taking the case and crystal off to let it dry for a few days at the RSC, see if anything's been damaged.

My first question is - what's the possibility the stepper motor (or other circuited part) would have suffered some material degree of damage that may not present itself in the short term? Or, would it be that if some electrical part were damaged due to water-contact the problem would be evident immediately?

Second question - the last people to screw the case-back onto the watch was the same RSC that has the watch now (oops). I'm not one to get hot and bothered out of principal. We're all human. So, if there's no damage done, I'm happy to forgive. But, this is what got me thinking about my first question, i.e., is the extent of possible damage discernible now or possibly going to only manifest over time? Then I'll figure out if I'm upset with the RSC or not or what an appropriate resolution would be.*

*The fact they had been the last to touch the watch didn't occur to me when I dropped it off; I've since called and told them. I'm told a supervisor will be consulted and they'll get back to me. They've been nothing but helpful thus far, so at present I've nothing bad to say, just to be clear.
Drives550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 04:33 AM   #2
Golf&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719
It shall be interesting how the RSC responds. I had several highly satisfying dealings with different RSC's. Things changed for the worse with regard to a 116719 (WG GMT), I have yet to decide how to fully proceed, though I have sold my 116618, 116619, 116660, 116718. I have access to several media outlets that measure their followers and readers in the tens of millions, suffice to say I am absolutely furious. I have been sitting on this issue for a month or so, I am still to decide.
Please keep us informed
Golf&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 11:30 PM   #3
Drives550
"TRF" Member

Trying again. Any thoughts on this?
Drives550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 12:04 AM   #4
Tigerjeebs
"TRF" Member

Normally service from an service center comes with a 2 year fresh warranty for the work performed. If its within that, you're probably golden. If not, well...
Tigerjeebs is offline   Reply With Quote