The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 July 2014, 05:17 AM   #1
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
5164 in the pool?

I get weird about having pushers that don't screw down in any water. Any 5164 owners swim with theirs yet? I don't know if I ever will....I know Patek says it's water resistant...but the design of the pushers, I fear, may lead to me hitting one of them while it's under the water with my forearm....

The only watch with pushers I've worn under water is a daytona...with them screwed tightly down.

Thoughts? Any 5980 owners can chime in as well....

Thanks.
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 05:29 AM   #2
raclaims
"TRF" Member

the only watches i don't get wet are fancy ones with straps...anything with a bracelet or rubbery band get wet...
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 05:35 AM   #3
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I wouldn't want to try this myself, but check this out

http://patek.watchprosite.com/?show=...15331&msid=&s=
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 05:57 AM   #4
Jabberjaw
Banned

Friend of mine had a 5164 underwater and accidentally hit one of the pushers and water seeped into the movement. Needless to say he sold the watch and purchased a 5167 instead. He decided that he could learn to count forward and backwards 8-10 hours instead for piece of mind while swimming.
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 06:20 AM   #5
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberjaw View Post
Friend of mine had a 5164 underwater and accidentally hit one of the pushers and water seeped into the movement. Needless to say he sold the watch and purchased a 5167 instead. He decided that he could learn to count forward and backwards 8-10 hours instead for piece of mind while swimming.

I wouldn't swim with it, but I know sometimes you don't find yourself swimming in a place you care to leave an expensive watch behind.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 07:05 AM   #6
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
The 5164 is rated 120m water resistant. I can't imagine why PP would make a watch with pushers that wi leak water while at the same time rating it 120 m WR! It seems to me that this is misleading at best. I will read the manual to see what it says.
Old 8 July 2014, 08:00 AM   #7
gqmagic
"TRF" Member

well now is the time to test drive it in the water while its still under warranty.
gqmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 08:14 AM   #8
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Quote:

That's not good! Any more details on what happened to the movement? Was it salt water or a pool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
The 5164 is rated 120m water resistant. I can't imagine why PP would make a watch with pushers that wi leak water while at the same time rating it 120 m WR! It seems to me that this is misleading at best. I will read the manual to see what it says.

That's what I was thinking...but then again I know lots of companies that make chronos rated to 300m that aren't screw down like the Daytona or ROC and have hear horror stories! But never seen anything in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmagic View Post
well now is the time to test drive it in the water while its still under warranty.

Hahahahahhahahaha!!!!!!! Brings me back to Jabber's post. Wonder if it was covered...
Old 8 July 2014, 08:27 AM   #9
Jabberjaw
Banned

It was in a pool, but water is water. He was beyond pissed needless to say, and it was just past the warranty. I have read as well that to never to push buttons underwater which is probably why the Daytona pushers screw down. The crown screws down for a reason, but the pushers do not (think about it). I would not tempt fate if it were my 5164.
Old 8 July 2014, 09:01 AM   #10
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
It was in a pool, but water is water. He was beyond pissed needless to say, and it was just past the warranty. I have read as well that to never to push buttons underwater which is probably why the Daytona pushers screw down. The crown screws down for a reason, but the pushers do not (think about it). I would not tempt fate if it were my 5164.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 09:54 AM   #11
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
I would swim with it just be sure not to press one of the pushers. If you don't think you can help yourself then perhaps the 5167 is better suited for you. the daytona has those locking screws to prevent the pushers from being pressed. The 5164 doesn't so use at your own risk
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 04:34 PM   #12
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post

But I also saw this......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.3 KB, 407 views)
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 04:48 PM   #13
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post

The chap wears his watch very tight IMHO.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 09:03 PM   #14
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I would call Patek and follow their instructions after all they are the ones that will fix it if something ever happens. I had talk with Jim (NY) before regarding an issue I had before.
Not same watch though.
If you talk to them, please let us know what they said, thanks
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 09:27 PM   #15
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

I'm not going to use the 5164 in the pool. I'm not getting rid of it. But I am getting a 5167R...not that I'll swim with that either. Thanks for all the input. I spoke with a few AD's and they all said it's fine as long as a pusher doesn't get pushed...but it's just not worth the risk. Same with the 5980. Only one AD commented on warranty and what's covered. They told me as far as they know water damage such as this isn't covered by warranty. And that Patek doesn't touch water damage. Non pushers pieces from here on out! Crazy to think some people take their 5970 under water!!! Hahaha to each their own tho! Thanks all.
Old 9 July 2014, 05:32 AM   #16
Jabberjaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauteHorlogerie View Post
I'm not going to use the 5164 in the pool. I'm not getting rid of it. But I am getting a 5167R...not that I'll swim with that either. Thanks for all the input. I spoke with a few AD's and they all said it's fine as long as a pusher doesn't get pushed...but it's just not worth the risk. Same with the 5980. Only one AD commented on warranty and what's covered. They told me as far as they know water damage such as this isn't covered by warranty. And that Patek doesn't touch water damage. Non pushers pieces from here on out! Crazy to think some people take their 5970 under water!!! Hahaha to each their own tho! Thanks all.
I've swam with my 5167 many times and as long as the crown is screwed down you'll be fine.
Old 9 July 2014, 05:54 AM   #17
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Quote:
I've swam with my 5167 many times and as long as the crown is screwed down you'll be fine.

SAWEEEET. I'm actually considering picking up a 5165 along with the 5167R (I know I'm crazy but I just want to the the '65 out for fit and who knows I've been offered a great deal on one....talking daytona money....)

Thanks y'all!
Old 9 July 2014, 11:56 AM   #18
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Me too. But, I put it away in my bathing suit pocket when the pool volleyball game started. Didn't want to expose the 5167 to shock. Water, on the other hand, was no match for the aquanaut.
Old 10 July 2014, 04:41 AM   #19
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
Me too. But, I put it away in my bathing suit pocket when the pool volleyball game started. Didn't want to expose the 5167 to shock. Water, on the other hand, was no match for the aquanaut.

Nice!