The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 November 2022, 02:14 AM   #1
SeaGuy
"TRF" Member

Rolex no longer servicing 15XX movements?

One of my favorite watches to wear is a 1675 GMT Master from 1966. On my last visit, my AD (who employs a watch maker on premises) said that a customer's similarly aged Submariner was denied service by Rolex in PA, and that their own watchmaker could not obtain the parts from Rolex. They had to source the parts needed for the service on eBay, and of course this made the service rather costly.

There are probably millions of vintage Rolex still on the wrists of people every day. What do you see happening when more and more vintage parts are needed for basic service? Will third parties step in with replicated parts? Will Rolex purists accept that their watch needs non-Rolex parts if they want a functioning timepiece?

I don't believe in safe queens. I wear every watch I own. But knowing I may not be able to have my GMT serviced down the road makes me pause before reaching for it on any given day...

I'm interested in hearing more expert thoughts on this. Thank you.
SeaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2022, 02:21 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Some AM parts are already available, and more may be fabricated as time passes for the most commonly needed parts. However, there's no doubt that it will become more difficult to find various movement parts that aren't likely to be made.

IMO, the best solution is to buy a lot of watches, I think that 100 is a reasonable number. That way you only wear each one a handful of times a year. :-)
Old 1 November 2022, 02:24 AM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
vintage rolex challenges...
maybe there should be a donor program for when vintage rolex meet an untimely demise? a box to check on back of your drivers license?

fortunately the internet has made it easier than ever to source parts.

while I don't have anything considered vintage, I understand that Patek services all of their watches... kind of nice

Old 1 November 2022, 02:25 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

You will be able to have your 1675 serviced as long as trusted indie watchmakers breathe free air or until someone pries their case opener from their clenched fists.

Many are listed in the sticky about trusted vintage watchmakers.

So wear it friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2022, 05:11 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
As mentioned, there are plenty of watchmakers who will, and can, service 15xx movement watches.

Rolex no longer services movements that they no longer source parts for, so it they are out of parts, they return the watch. That doesn't mean that there are no longer parts or that you need e-bay. There are parts makers who make parts that are equally robust and correct for early movements.
Old 1 November 2022, 12:25 PM   #6
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I’ve read that Patek will fabricate parts as needed. Even going so far as to fabricate the machine to make the part, if necessary. It can obviously make for a really expensive service, but it’s nice to know it’s possible.

Was sending it to Geneva not suggested?
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2022, 05:04 PM   #7
Chris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Some AM parts are already available, and more may be fabricated as time passes for the most commonly needed parts. However, there's no doubt that it will become more difficult to find various movement parts that aren't likely to be made.

IMO, the best solution is to buy a lot of watches, I think that 100 is a reasonable number. That way you only wear each one a handful of times a year. :-)
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2022, 06:31 PM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barada7 View Post
I’ve read that Patek will fabricate parts as needed. Even going so far as to fabricate the machine to make the part, if necessary. It can obviously make for a really expensive service, but it’s nice to know it’s possible.

Was sending it to Geneva not suggested?

Patek will make parts - but if I recall correctly…only for exceptional, historic exemplars of their watchmaking.

Those watches are submitted for consideration and then accepted for restoration.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2022, 02:17 AM   #9
maggurt
"TRF" Member

I sent in my 1969 GMT 1675 to RSC in NYC and they serviced it. got it back early october with service date of 10/02 on the warranty card just an FYI.
maggurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2022, 03:22 AM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
There were millions of these watches made with the 1570 movements during the course of a couple decades of production. Along with that, there were millions of parts made for repairs to these movements. These parts are still plentiful and can be found out there stashed away in watch maker drawers, on ebay and elsewhere. I seriously doubt that anyone reading this thread will ever have any problem having their vintage 1570 movement serviced with original or even aftermarket parts in their lifetime - and probably their children's lifetimes.

Enjoy your vintage watches ...and "don't be scared," Halloween is now over!!!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2022, 03:35 AM   #11
dstephns
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 white,16610
Just got my 1680 white back in September from RSC Dallas
dstephns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2022, 06:39 AM   #12
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Patek will make parts - but if I recall correctly…only for exceptional, historic exemplars of their watchmaking.

Those watches are submitted for consideration and then accepted for restoration.

It’s admittedly a dated article, but you can read about it here: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/27/f...pe-and-me.html.

If you have better information, please provide the source.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote