The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2019, 03:04 PM   #1
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

Any nuances with the YM 116622 Platinum Dial ?

Hi RF, Im pretty set on getting a 40mm Platinum Dial 116622. They are going for reasonable prices, and seems to be a lot of them avail online. And I really vibe with the all white metal + red/pink accent.

I like the idea of getting a new bracelet (116622 vs 16622) as my other rolexes are from the 80s/90s and have the old style clasp, and hollow center links.

Seems like 20yrs on there are always a ton of nuances to the model lines, anyone know of any for this reference ? Or should I just optimize for condition and price ?

<Won't let me post img link..>

chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 07:06 PM   #2
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
I love this watch!

The nuance I’d look for is the switch from a dial that was sand-blasted, sparkly .950 platinum to dials that were painted rhodium. The SS/PL YM doesn’t photograph well, IMO, so this is something you have to ask the sellers about. I couldn’t get a clear answer about it but watches after 2012 may have made this shift. To me it makes a big enough difference to outweigh a newer model with a better bracelet clasp. I recently bought a 2006 40mm to replace a 2000 35mm that I gave to my sister.

This is what I looked for. And it is a nuance that I just can’t see under standard studio lighting. In fact, even on my wrist I can only see the platinum dial sparkle in sunlight or very bright indoor lighting.

Enjoy your search. This is an amazingly beautiful watch!

Last edited by jstan9; 19 October 2019 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Typo
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 08:46 PM   #3
shalako
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstan9 View Post
I love this watch!

The nuance I’d look for is the switch from a dial that was sand-blasted, sparkly .950 platinum to dials that were painted rhodium. The SS/PL YM doesn’t photograph well, IMO, so this is something you have to ask the sellers about. I couldn’t get a clear answer about it but watches after 2012 may have made this shift. To me it makes a big enough difference to outweigh a newer model with a better bracelet clasp. I recently bought a 2006 40mm to replace a 2000 35mm that I gave to my sister.

This is what I looked for. And it is a nuance that I just can’t see under standard studio lighting. In fact, even on my wrist I can only see the platinum dial sparkle in sunlight or very bright indoor lighting.

Enjoy your search. This is an amazingly beautiful watch!
I appreciate the earlier YM’s were definitely more ‘sparkly’ but I thought the later versions of the 16622’s and 116622 still had Platinum dials that were just slightly less ‘sparkly’ with a smoother finish?
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 11:19 PM   #4
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
Mine is a 2006 with solid links. It’s a 16622 and that’s the one to go for because they are the cheapest right now and have that sparkling dial. The clasp is no big deal, imo.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 11:39 PM   #5
justjay82
"TRF" Member

It’s a great watch. Just don’t overpay. For whatever reason, the resale market on the older YMs are softer than other models.
justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 12:27 AM   #6
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
....I don’t think the bezel even looks like platinum. As mentioned above a very soft market. Tons out there to buy
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 12:43 AM   #7
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
One of THE most underrated Rolexes out there. I love the sparkle of the earlier models, but the bracelet on the newer ones was a HUGE improvement.
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 04:16 AM   #8
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

Ok this is great info, I definitely want the sparkly dial version.

People are sleeping on this model big time.
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 10:39 AM   #9
BentleyReese
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116622
great underloved rolex watch. more of a dress watch then a tool watch. rhodium dial can dress up or down. blue dial seems more sporty than dressy.
BentleyReese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 10:40 AM   #10
BentleyReese
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116622
love the platinum sand blasted look better in real life than in pictures. sun really catches it. though the new version is not as partly as the older version.
BentleyReese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 12:09 PM   #11
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
DavidSW had an absolutely beautiful 116622 platinum dial last week for $9975. I was going to buy it but it was gone the very next day.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 05:19 PM   #12
CenturyCityCrowns
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rhodium YM 116622
I just picked up the 116622 Rhodium dial at an AD last month. Even though the new 126622 came out this year, the previous year's leftover stock is still in distribution. I'm totally in love with it. The dark rhodium is both dressy and sporty coupled with the polished center links and the platinum bezel. The azure blue second hand and Yacht-Master lettering is a playful yet classy touch that makes me smile every time I look.

You'd be interested to know that the platinum dial 116622 was seen earlier this week at the Gearys in Century City, Ca. It's my understanding that ADs only sell new stock, so Rolex must have had a few leftovers of that example as well that they are pushing to ADs. Not sure how long it will stay in the display case, but it might be worth a shot to call in.
CenturyCityCrowns is offline   Reply With Quote