The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 October 2021, 11:56 PM   #1
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Went to look at a few (vintage) watches and it was a sobering experience.

With the current mask policy and situation in Europe it finally felt right to check out a few watch stores. It's crazy how relieved I felt, like it was pre-covid. Anyway, to the watches.

I tried out a mid 90s 16700 with a pepsi dial, oyster bracelet with a tiny amount of stretch, newer insert and it didn't wow me. The bezel didn't click properly or turned as smooth as my 14060. Felt like I had to work it hard. These 167xx's have actually been my dream watch for over a decade when they were 4-5k USD and it was a first time I wore one. I won't say it was a let down but it was nearing one. It didn't feel as solid as my 2010 14060 but I guess I have to try a 16710 made after the 2000s to get that same feel?

I also looked at a couple of 1601s/1603s, 1803 DDs and I didn't feel it either. Some of these watches look amazing online but actually holding one took away some of that charm. I don't mind stretched and old bracelets which rattle, polished cases but I feel like the current prices don't match the quality being offered. Especially in Europe, I always found the prices to be way too expensive compared to the US. I assume that plays a part as well. Some of these 1601s/1603s should be listed at 2-3k usd, ones with a perfect case and everything I can see 4-5k usd but the 'cheapest' ones are sadly listed at 4-5k euro which is 4600-5800 usd. The DD as well, these are close to 17-18k usd which is madness to be honest.

The watch that actually impressed me was a Tudor 925 which I tried at an AD. The dial is stunning, it feels and looks like those grey faded/ghost dials you see on the 1601/1603s. The case feels like my 14060, it has the perfect proportions and I love the brushed sides.

That was it actually. I was glad to try out a few watches. It's easy to browse and buy online and everything looks good and interesting but all I can advise is, try them out yourself. That's the sobering experience. Watches you thought were amazing end up not being your thing and vice versa.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 11:58 PM   #2
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yea missed the boat on that one……glad your not looking at vintage daytonas….
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 12:01 AM   #3
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Yea missed the boat on that one……glad your not looking at vintage daytonas….
You could be right. I think these watches are/were worth it at a certain price but not the current ones.

When I tried out an almost perfect 6265 I couldn't believe people are actually paying 50-80k usd for these watches. I didn't see it. it didn't feel worth it. As an investment piece in the current market, if you want to go there, sure but there are watches I would rather spend 50-80k on.
Old 4 October 2021, 12:09 AM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
You could be right. I think these watches are/were worth it at a certain price but not the current ones.

When I tried out an almost perfect 6265 I couldn't believe people are actually paying 50-80k usd for these watches. I didn't see it. it didn't feel worth it. As an investment piece in the current market, if you want to go there, sure but there are watches I would rather spend 50-80k on.
Sounds like vintage is not for you, which is fine, of course. There’s a reason many hobbyists/collectors pay a lot for vintage. The feel and charm is something you can never get from modern Rolexes, but it’s not for everyone.

As for value/prices …. You can’t apply logic to the crazy world of Rolex, vintage or modern. The market sets the prices, and the watches are selling. By the way, a nice 6265 will set you back a lot more than $50K. Your high estimate is starting to get into the neighborhood of pricing nowadays.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 12:22 AM   #5
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I imagine that vintage watches are like vintage cars, or many other older, collectible things: they look beautiful and quaint, but they aren't going to provide some of the characteristics that you have come to appreciate about modern examples. Like I imagine seeing an old TR-6 is beautiful, but driving one may be a letdown if you enjoy the power and handling of modern sports cars. It all depends on what turns you on.

I would love to have a vintage Daytona, and they look gorgeous to me. But when you see one for $100k and they are small, light and perhaps a bit loose, it could be disappointing. Vintage isn't for everyone. Nor are car analogies, lol.
Old 4 October 2021, 12:49 AM   #6
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Sounds like vintage is not for you, which is fine, of course. There’s a reason many hobbyists/collectors pay a lot for vintage. The feel and charm is something you can never get from modern Rolexes, but it’s not for everyone.

As for value/prices …. You can’t apply logic to the crazy world of Rolex, vintage or modern. The market sets the prices, and the watches are selling. By the way, a nice 6265 will set you back a lot more than $50K. Your high estimate is starting to get into the neighborhood of pricing nowadays.
Vintage definitely is my thing. I would love to add another 1675, I'm glad I got it instead of a 16710. I would love to get a 5512/5513/1680 but the overall package and price needs to be right. They are out there, you need to look, but most of the watches being offered simply aren't worth it. Especially when you look and compare them all. I think it's important to realize this, especially for rookie buyers.

And the 6265 I mentioned was several years ago. I love the way your Daytona looks in your pictures and some of the others posted on this forum, but when you see a 4 digit Daytona up close it's definitely something else than in all those pictures.
Old 4 October 2021, 01:39 AM   #7
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
If you are used to a 14060, the 16710 is definitely going to feel different. But the 16710 will always be loved by many, and this will likely only increase in the future - the heritage of that model and the ability to switch out bezels/bracelets will never be duplicated.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 02:00 AM   #8
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

I have 5 modern watches and one vintage. My vintage watch is a Patek 3700. It is not a perfect unworn example but it’s a very good example. I’m actually ok with that because I’m not worried about scratching it. It was completely overhauled by Patek 2 years ago and keeps perfect time but I still treat it as if it’s not water resistant and I’m pretty scared of dropping it or damaging it. In the back of my mind I know that if something goes wrong I’m going to be without it for many months. I’ve also heard rumors that replacement case abs link parts are no longer possible from Patek. So while I do love the watch, I think I find brand new Rolexes more enjoyable because I can treat it like it’s just a watch.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 02:32 AM   #9
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
I have 5 modern watches and one vintage. My vintage watch is a Patek 3700.
Very nice. At least you get to wear it.

Vintage watches are a good reminder that we're not here forever and to just get on with life.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 03:07 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I love the way your Daytona looks in your pictures and some of the others posted on this forum, but when you see a 4 digit Daytona up close it's definitely something else than in all those pictures.
Thanks! And yes, it's different in the flesh, and for me, it's a lot better in person than in photos.

Sure, there's something almost dainty about a vintage Daytona, and a bit delicate, but that's the appeal for me. It's like a jewel on the wrist. It's very special, but again, not for everyone.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 03:25 AM   #11
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Thanks! And yes, it's different in the flesh, and for me, it's a lot better in person than in photos.

Sure, there's something almost dainty about a vintage Daytona, and a bit delicate, but that's the appeal for me. It's like a jewel on the wrist. It's very special, but again, not for everyone.
Yeah, yours is a beauty. I admire it every time I see one of your posts.
Old 4 October 2021, 03:30 AM   #12
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
There’s something inherently historical and avant-garde about wearing a watch older or as old as oneself. Some say its the pinnacle of our hobby having at least one vintage piece. Others can’t stomach the drawbacks nor loss of modern accoutrements.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 04:30 AM   #13
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
My AD has a very extensive pre-owned and vintage section, and I like to spend time over there when I visit. During my last visit, we actually spent an hour chatting and trying on various vintage pieces. He just kept pulling them out as we chatted. Fun afternoon.

They had a complete set with boxes, tags, all papers, original receipt, etc. of a 1665 double red seadweller. It was $146,000 so he got that out for me to play with first. I had read so much about this watch for years and had drooled over photos over the years, but had never actually seen one in person. I hate to say it, but I was underwhelmed by it. I appreciate the history of the watch and how rare the double red print on the dial was, but the next generation 16600 sea dweller feels so much better on the wrist.

Next up was a 1958 6536 small crown sub. This was $50,000. Keep in mind, the 6538 and 5510 big crowns are my grail so I was really excited to try this one on. Again, I was a little disappointed. First off, it is 38mm and it feels really small. I didn't like the way the bracelet felt at all, so I would definitely wear it on leather if I ever obtained one of the big crowns.

They had 4x 1675 GMT Masters. These were awesome. The look, the feel, everything was really fun and unique. I would definitely have no problem getting a 1675 someday if I went vintage GMT.

Same with the 5513 and 5512 they had. They had both of these and those just felt better than the 1665 double red did.

It is good to try these on because when you are drooling over photos of these watches online, you don't get any perspective for how they really wear in person. I thought I would like the 6536 and the 1665 double red, and yet I wouldn't wear either of them after trying them on. Not that I am in the market for either one, but if I had been I would have been disappointed.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 04:35 AM   #14
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
My AD has a very extensive pre-owned and vintage section, and I like to spend time over there when I visit. During my last visit, we actually spent an hour chatting and trying on various vintage pieces. He just kept pulling them out as we chatted. Fun afternoon.

They had a complete set with boxes, tags, all papers, original receipt, etc. of a 1665 double red seadweller. It was $146,000 so he got that out for me to play with first. I had read so much about this watch for years and had drooled over photos over the years, but had never actually seen one in person. I hate to say it, but I was underwhelmed by it. I appreciate the history of the watch and how rare the double red print on the dial was, but the next generation 16600 sea dweller feels so much better on the wrist.

Next up was a 1958 6536 small crown sub. This was $50,000. Keep in mind, the 6538 and 5510 big crowns are my grail so I was really excited to try this one on. Again, I was a little disappointed. First off, it is 38mm and it feels really small. I didn't like the way the bracelet felt at all, so I would definitely wear it on leather if I ever obtained one of the big crowns.

They had 4x 1675 GMT Masters. These were awesome. The look, the feel, everything was really fun and unique. I would definitely have no problem getting a 1675 someday if I went vintage GMT.

Same with the 5513 and 5512 they had. They had both of these and those just felt better than the 1665 double red did.

It is good to try these on because when you are drooling over photos of these watches online, you don't get any perspective for how they really wear in person. I thought I would like the 6536 and the 1665 double red, and yet I wouldn't wear either of them after trying them on. Not that I am in the market for either one, but if I had been I would have been disappointed.
Great post. I would not buy a vintage watch that I’ve never even tried an example of on through the internet. For that matter, I wouldn’t buy any watch that I’ve never tried.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 04:43 AM   #15
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
Great post. I would not buy a vintage watch that I’ve never even tried an example of on through the internet. For that matter, I wouldn’t buy any watch that I’ve never tried.
Same here. This was such a good reminder of that, too.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote