The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 February 2018, 12:35 PM   #1
aimoooudoud
"TRF" Member

Help!! New AP 15450

I need help making decision between purchase it from AD or jomashop with $1500 less for AP 15450. Does factory warranty is necessary?
aimoooudoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 06:11 PM   #2
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimoooudoud View Post
I need help making decision between purchase it from AD or jomashop with $1500 less for AP 15450. Does factory warranty is necessary?
AD all the way. I would never buy a piece without the factory warranty. At a $1500 difference, it's a no brainer IMO.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE / AP 26574st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26331.or/ AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 06:23 PM   #3
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
AD all the way. I would never buy a piece without the factory warranty. At a $1500 difference, it's a no brainer IMO.
X2

Cheers,
Joe
Old 21 February 2018, 10:43 AM   #4
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
X2

Cheers,
Joe
X3

I used my warranty twice on my 15450.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 10:53 AM   #5
Beefstockcube
"TRF" Member

AD, they are door frame magnets. And the movement can be a bit temperamental

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beefstockcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 03:01 PM   #6
inosaris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfav View Post
X3

I used my warranty twice on my 15450.
Hey Billfav, what issues did you have on your 15450 and how was your warranty/APSC experience?
inosaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 12:11 AM   #7
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
AD all day for that money!
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 01:32 AM   #8
wulin
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AP,Rolex,IWC
AD with 5 year warranty, which is worth more than $1500 for an AP.
wulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 01:43 AM   #9
Mldrake
"TRF" Member

Without a doubt get warranty. Mine bought from an AD failed after about 15 months and had to go to Clearwater.
Mldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 03:28 AM   #10
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inosaris View Post
Hey Billfav, what issues did you have on your 15450 and how was your warranty/APSC experience?
It was the Clearwater fantastic service that has kept me as a customer. I purchased new from an A.D. sent it in for the additional year service check up with a complaint that the timekeeping was not accurate (approx 12 seconds a day) which is unacceptable to me. They determined that the timepiece had "old oil" and serviced it under warranty. Came back about 5-7 seconds a day which is good enough for me.

The second time I had not worn the watch in several months (worn in rotation and mostly in warmer weather). Strapped it on left the house for an appointment and thought I was late for but my watch was wrong. The watch started running 20 mins a day fast! No the watch was not magnatized and has frankly has had a charmed life compared to my Rolex Sub and beater Seiko's. I contacted AP and found there was only a month left on warranty. They immediately sent me shipping materials and off it went. The AP Service Center was fantastic. They let me know when it was received, gave it a service under warranty and got the timepiece back in a few weeks.

So while I love the timepiece I have to say my experience has been somewhat disappointing but their services experience has kept me a customer (for now). AP quality control is or was lacking. I know the caliber 3120 is in several of their timepieces and I don't think it is super fragile. I own or have owned have several what I call high-end timepieces from other manufacturers besides AP (ALS, Journe, Vacheron, Rolex and JLC) and a fair share of Seikos but have never had experienced any problems.

In closing any mechanical devise can experience defects and any business errors or has problems but it is how one reacts to the problem or challenge makes all the difference and it is here AP scored high. Hope this helps.
Old 22 February 2018, 04:12 AM   #11
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was the Clearwater fantastic service that has kept me as a customer. I purchased new from an A.D. sent it in for the additional year service check up with a complaint that the timekeeping was not accurate (approx 12 seconds a day) which is unacceptable to me. They determined that the timepiece had "old oil" and serviced it under warranty. Came back about 5-7 seconds a day which is good enough for me.

The second time I had not worn the watch in several months (worn in rotation and mostly in warmer weather). Strapped it on left the house for an appointment and thought I was late for but my watch was wrong. The watch started running 20 mins a day fast! No the watch was not magnatized and has frankly has had a charmed life compared to my Rolex Sub and beater Seiko's. I contacted AP and found there was only a month left on warranty. They immediately sent me shipping materials and off it went. The AP Service Center was fantastic. They let me know when it was received, gave it a service under warranty and got the timepiece back in a few weeks.

So while I love the timepiece I have to say my experience has been somewhat disappointing but their services experience has kept me a customer (for now). AP quality control is or was lacking. I know the caliber 3120 is in several of their timepieces and I don't think it is super fragile. I own or have owned have several what I call high-end timepieces from other manufacturers besides AP (ALS, Journe, Vacheron, Rolex and JLC) and a fair share of Seikos but have never had experienced any problems.

In closing any mechanical devise can experience defects and any business errors or has problems but it is how one reacts to the problem or challenge makes all the difference and it is here AP scored high. Hope this helps.
this is an unsettling story of the 15450, especially given i just got mine
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 04:30 AM   #12
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
this is an unsettling story of the 15450, especially given i just got mine
Not a 15450 story maybe a caliber 3120 story, but I would not worry about it as this caliber is used in many of their watches 15400, 15300, and ROO. I have seen a few stories with issues but not overwhelming by any means.
Old 22 February 2018, 04:36 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
AP is one you def want a warranty on as back up, QC is not always great but service usually is.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 04:39 AM   #14
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Not a 15450 story maybe a caliber 3120 story, but I would not worry about it as this caliber is used in many of their watches 15400, 15300, and ROO. I have seen a few stories with issues but not overwhelming by any means.

Yup - not all experience issues. I take my 15400 skiing (moguls) and it runs like a champ.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 09:41 AM   #15
inosaris
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks Bill, really appreciate you sharing your story. I agree that how one reacts to adversity is what counts
inosaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 11:02 AM   #16
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
If you lose the warranty with Joma, go AD for sure. If something goes wrong, you'll have peace of mind.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:46 PM   #17
Watch Admirer
Banned

AD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:50 PM   #18
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
I'm having difficulty considering a scenario where it would be advantageous to buy at Jomashop compared to an AD/Boutique. Even at a steeper discount, (a few thousand dollars or more) I would still go AD/B.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote