The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 September 2021, 08:21 AM   #31
JodyHighroller
Banned

Like with all things in life, the answer is always no unless you ask. I’d say shoot your shot and go for it. Life is too short to wonder what would’ve happened.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 08:25 AM   #32
April26
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10XRolex View Post
Entitled? Come on now, do not think less of yourself. You have the relationship, your spending money, go and ask for it. If you don't show interest your sales representative will never know that you want one.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
I know it sounds ridiculous! But that’s exactly how they make it out, that we must literally beg out for them!
April26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 08:33 AM   #33
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by April26 View Post
I just don’t want to mess up my chances of getting other models, don’t want them to think I’m going to resell for profit, I don’t know whether this is true but the salesman told my husband that he has only ever seen 1 ss Daytona come in the store in 4/5 years
Most likely not true unless this AD has a terribly slow turnover. From what I gather the AD's in my area are all receiving at least a couple SS Daytona's per month.

The allocation of these models are usually handled only by the management and sometimes the owners of the store, so a regular sales rep may indeed rarely see one.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 08:42 AM   #34
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

-Wayne Gretzky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HippoPAPAmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 08:45 AM   #35
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Most likely not true unless this AD has a terribly slow turnover. From what I gather the AD's in my area are all receiving at least a couple SS Daytona's per month.

The allocation of these models are usually handled only by the management and sometimes the owners of the store, so a regular sales rep may indeed rarely see one.
1 SS Daytona in 4-5 years seems insanely low and hard to believe.

2+ SS Daytonas a month seems insanely high and hard to believe (unless this is like the WoS flagship in London).
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 08:51 AM   #36
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
1 SS Daytona in 4-5 years seems insanely low and hard to believe.

2+ SS Daytonas a month seems insanely high and hard to believe (unless this is like the WoS flagship in London).
I've been told the frequency of the Daytona's at a few local AD's here in Montreal and elsewhere in Canada, and I know the management quite well. Some of them receive more SS Daytona's than Air-King's.

It most likely varies from AD to AD and location but that's what it is here. Don't forget the problem is not a shortage of watches it's an over demand of the product, so the unobtainable watches are coming in frequently but they've already been allocated to the big spenders or are stored in the back for the best opportunity for the AD.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 09:12 AM   #37
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

You can only ask.
Your allocation of professional models means that they may decide you have to wait as you already have had two in demand models in a very short space of time.

Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 09:32 AM   #38
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Personally, I think it could be possible if you are willing to wait a while and especially if you use that jeweler to buy a significant other or parent or child some jewelry over the coming years you may be waiting. The AD is most likely going to predominantly care about financial return, and if you establish yourself as someone not only giving them continued business but also bringing them new customers, I would think that would be noted.

Worst case is they say no.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 09:41 AM   #39
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I started my latest phase of Rolex ownership in November of 2017. Just chatting with my SA then I had known since around ‘97, he said their list for SS Daytonas was closed until they trimmed it down some. Their new bogey was not to keep lists they didn’t think they could fulfill within two years max.
Fast forward to February of ‘19 and he told me he could offer me one then if I was interested. I asked for black and he told me I should get it within a year. Nine months later it was delivered. That year he said they were allocated around 30 SS Daytonas, usually one of each color a month and then some end of year bonuses.
This is a big city boutique. Obviously not every AD gets that many but anyone telling you 1 in 4-5 years is lying. To the OP, just ask. They will either say yes or no.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 10:03 AM   #40
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
It’s a game of patience. Place your request and wait. As long as you have a good rapport with your AD and SA and they know you’ll be a long time customer and not a one and done or a flipper they’ll take care of you.
It’s not complicated, every business wants good loyal steady customers. I’ve been waiting a couple of years for a blue Sky Dweller, not worried cause I know I’ll get one due to my relationship with my AD and SA. They know if I buy any watches or jewelry it’s from them and I know if and when they can they steer the watches I want my way.

Bottom line just be the best customer you can be and don’t try to be something you’re not and things will eventually work out.

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 10:23 AM   #41
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Embarrassed to ask for ss Daytona

You miss every shot you don’t take. Ask even if it’s out of your comfort zone as those moments promote personal growth.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 11:16 AM   #42
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
You estimated wait time would be around 15 years.

cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 11:46 AM   #43
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
You're right - if your posts are on the level - then yes, cringe.

You either have more serious issues than feeling worthy of buying a watch...or....

You are having us all on for a good laugh...
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 11:47 AM   #44
geoffreyis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
I feel guilty to even ask as if I’m not worth enough
I know it’s pathetic but I feel it all so intimidating

dude. its a watch. a great watch, but still a watch.

This forum is silly.
geoffreyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 11:59 AM   #45
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Sounds like you’re not gonna buy anything further by your comments so I would say your chances are very slim, which sucks because I’m in the same boat. However, I would still ask if it was me, you never know.

Your SA may have only seen/sold one in 4-5 years but Daytonas are handled by managers and owners. I’ve “heard” in my neck of the woods that they only get 4 SS Daytonas a year.

Bottom line you have to be one of the AD’s better customers to get one…
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 12:07 PM   #46
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Ask but keep expectations low.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 12:12 PM   #47
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Watches View Post
Bottom line you have to be one of the AD’s better customers to get one…
This right here. What defines “better customers” can vary, it’s not always about the spend. Good luck to those seeking one.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:15 PM   #48
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

I've asked for things and never gotten the call, but at least I know I asked.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:42 PM   #49
daysky1
"TRF" Member

It will depend on the sales person and how you are perceived. If he thinks you have enough and wants to spread the experience to others who have none or less than you he might do that. And put you on a real list. It sounds you were favored for a while perhaps he will continue or not, who knows. It's not like there is a shortage of other real Rolex enthusiast's out there, also. I'd say stay in touch with him, let him know your still interested. Find something else to talk about that you share a common interest in. At least keep the friendship alive. Perhaps a just business, I'm only contacting you to see if you will sell me another watch, every 3 + weeks works well. Who knows. Sometimes they like talking about watches even though they don't have any to sell at this time. At least read the information on the Rolex web site about watchmaking and the various departments Rolex has. Maybe even learn about the difference between the movements, just knowing the difference between a 3135 and a 3235 starts the conversation off. Learn and converse what you learn about Rolex goes a long way...
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:46 PM   #50
Rad22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
No harm in asking. I got one from an AD after buying a dj41, dj31, and green sub. Not the ridiculous purchase history people report!

126710 BLRO
326934 Blue
Rad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 04:24 PM   #51
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post

I think this
Old 30 September 2021, 04:33 PM   #52
April26
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
If you don't ask you don't get. That much is certain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
You're right - if your posts are on the level - then yes, cringe.

You either have more serious issues than feeling worthy of buying a watch...or....

Why would I be doing this as a laugh? I’m being 100% honest and came here to seek advice
April26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 04:51 PM   #53
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Like so many of you I would love the holy grail ss Daytona in black or white dial but preferably the black ( I would also love the rose gold chocolate face). I am so embarrassed to ask my AD for one, I think he will roll his eyes and have a laugh at the back as they must get so many requests for these, I have a small purchase history, 36mm diamond dial MOP datejust, that paved the way for a batgirl 2 months after asking if he could get one and a bluesy but metal sub within a week or 2. I have also introduced my father to this AD who has just purchased a 41mm DJ for 10k. Do you think this would entitle me to getting me on a list or being considered? I always send thank you cards to the salesman who I deal with he’s not the owner of the shop just the watch salesman
They’ll likely be upfront and say no chance, but no harm in asking
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 05:06 PM   #54
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am very grateful to him he got me 2 really hot models really quickly, I couldn’t believe he got me the batgirl after 2 months and the sub after a week. I don’t want to be greedy and don’t want them to be put off by asking for only the sports models and the good stuff. Do any of you know if you have to spend a certain amount to get considered?
Wow, such a good AD, better than mine. Good to ask if they can offer u a daytona.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 05:09 PM   #55
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
As long as you ask politely and don't come across as entitled, I don't see the harm in raising the question. As we say where I live "you already have a no for an answer", meaning you've got nothing to lose.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 07:25 PM   #56
Becweb
Banned

If i were you, I would be very embarrassed and ashamed. Don't do it...
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 08:13 PM   #57
el3ctronick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Like so many of you I would love the holy grail ss Daytona in black or white dial but preferably the black ( I would also love the rose gold chocolate face). I am so embarrassed to ask my AD for one, I think he will roll his eyes and have a laugh at the back as they must get so many requests for these, I have a small purchase history, 36mm diamond dial MOP datejust, that paved the way for a batgirl 2 months after asking if he could get one and a bluesy but metal sub within a week or 2. I have also introduced my father to this AD who has just purchased a 41mm DJ for 10k. Do you think this would entitle me to getting me on a list or being considered? I always send thank you cards to the salesman who I deal with he’s not the owner of the shop just the watch salesman
they are not making you a favor by telling them that you want to spend ~13k. This is not a joke. You should ask them, maybe they won't put your name in their preference list but it's the first step to try to get closer to a daytona.
el3ctronick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 08:32 PM   #58
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Do you think this would entitle me to getting me on a list or being considered?
I don’t know about “entitle” - but as long as those watches haven’t shown up on Chrono24 or eBay then you aren’t disqualified…

I might ask, “How long do you think it will take for you to get me a black dialed 116500?”

That way you’re asking about his abilities. The request is implied.

If he rolled his eyes, that way he’d be rolling them at his own shortcoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 11:45 PM   #59
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
I get the impression from my AD the Daytona is something they offer their really good customers. Asking for one does not seem to go far, at least in these parts.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 11:46 PM   #60
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Ask if it might be possible, but stay humble. You are certainly not “entitled” in any way, shape, or form.

You seem you have good rapport with this AD so no reason not to ask. Just be sure to not come off as expecting it

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote