The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 8 June 2019, 12:45 AM   #1
rolexryan329
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Tried on a Speedy yesterday at the AD, wasn't a fan

EDIT: A speedy is an Omega, I haven't had my coffee yet ugh. Could a mod please move this to the Omega section?

Pretty much title

I was walking down 5th avenue yesterday, went into Wempe looking for an explorer II (no luck obviously) so I passed by Omega and thought "well, all the hubbub about Speedy's, I should try one on!" and I did precisely that. I was buzzed in, greeted by the wonderful saleslady and she gave me the history of the Speedmaster and it's heritage. She pulled out the Speedy pro on the stainless bracelet, still wrapped in plastic. I tried it on and... meh. My first impression was, why is this thing wrapped in sticky plastic like its a replica rolex? Okay, next impression was that its a nice looking watch but it felt cheap. The caseback with the engravings on it, the pushers that don't screw down, the center stack has a marking in the middle. It just didn't feel refined. The kicker? MSRP is more than double what a MINT preowned one goes for. Then she told me the one on the strap is only $100 less, blah. Sorry but I wasn't a fan. I took the card, told her she can keep the magazine and I thanked her for her time

Am I being a little too harsh or am I a little spoiled having such a refined watch as my submariner is? You tell me
rolexryan329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 12:53 AM   #2
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
It’s not for everyone but it’s a must have for me.
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 01:05 AM   #3
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Respectfully disagree

I own a Sub and a Speedy. I appreciate both. Maybe you were not feeling it that day. There are many variants. Mine is now on a brown leather deployant strap. But your taste matters.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 01:07 AM   #4
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

My Speedy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 8 June 2019, 02:31 AM   #5
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Just stick with Rolex.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 04:22 AM   #6
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexryan329 View Post
EDIT: A speedy is an Omega, I haven't had my coffee yet ugh. Could a mod please move this to the Omega section?

Pretty much title

I was walking down 5th avenue yesterday, went into Wempe looking for an explorer II (no luck obviously) so I passed by Omega and thought "well, all the hubbub about Speedy's, I should try one on!" and I did precisely that. I was buzzed in, greeted by the wonderful saleslady and she gave me the history of the Speedmaster and it's heritage. She pulled out the Speedy pro on the stainless bracelet, still wrapped in plastic. I tried it on and... meh. My first impression was, why is this thing wrapped in sticky plastic like its a replica rolex? Okay, next impression was that its a nice looking watch but it felt cheap. The caseback with the engravings on it, the pushers that don't screw down, the center stack has a marking in the middle. It just didn't feel refined. The kicker? MSRP is more than double what a MINT preowned one goes for. Then she told me the one on the strap is only $100 less, blah. Sorry but I wasn't a fan. I took the card, told her she can keep the magazine and I thanked her for her time

Am I being a little too harsh or am I a little spoiled having such a refined watch as my submariner is? You tell me

A bit harsh of an assessment but I get it . I do have a speedy and appreciate it for what it is. First, it doesn’t pretend to be a Rolex nor does it retain value like a Rolex. It’s also not a dive watch like the sub but rather a chronograph with a legendary hand wound movement. And it’s half the price of the sub. I love the case back as it is part of the speedy’s iconic history . And I like that there are no screw down pushers (most people agree screw down pushers serve no useful purpose and are annoying). So IMO it has a lot going for it and there is an entire community of speedy fanatics (not me), but like any watch out there it isn’t for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 04:53 AM   #7
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
EDIT:I tried it on and... meh. My first impression was, why is this thing wrapped in sticky plastic like its a replica rolex?
This is where you lost me.

So part of your assessment of a watch is based on the fact that a particular dealer had it wrapped in plastic?

Not liking it is fine, but your username suggests the Rolex bias is strong. It's not for everyone, but it's an icon that is closer to its predecessors than any modern Rolex. There's a reason why the design has survived the test of time.

From my experience (outside this forum) nine times out of ten, the guy wearing a Speedmaster is someone who has at least some basic appreciation for watches. The act of manually winding a watch only appeals to those people who actually care.

It's the opposite for the guys wearing a Rolex. Nine times out of ten, they sound like you.
Old 8 June 2019, 12:59 PM   #8
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

A Speedy Pro is basically a vintage watch that they still make. That’s why it’s so f’n cool. You can’t compare it to a modern Rolex, they’re two totally different watches and serve different purposes. Imagine if Rolex still made the 5513 or the 1680 - it would have a plastic crystal, no white gold surrounds on the hour markers, a hollow rattly bracelet and a piece of crap clasp...and it would be awesome! But you wouldn’t compare it to a modern ceramic Sub.

I have modern Rolex in my collection as well, as most of us do, and the feeling is definitely different. But I wouldn’t ever be without my old Speedy Pro. In fact you’ve just inspired me to take off my BLNR and throw the Speedy on.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 06:25 PM   #9
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
A Speedy Pro is basically a vintage watch that they still make. That’s why it’s so f’n cool. You can’t compare it to a modern Rolex, they’re two totally different watches and serve different purposes. Imagine if Rolex still made the 5513 or the 1680 - it would have a plastic crystal, no white gold surrounds on the hour markers, a hollow rattly bracelet and a piece of crap clasp...and it would be awesome! But you wouldn’t compare it to a modern ceramic Sub.

I have modern Rolex in my collection as well, as most of us do, and the feeling is definitely different. But I wouldn’t ever be without my old Speedy Pro. In fact you’ve just inspired me to take off my BLNR and throw the Speedy on.
Great summary
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 06:31 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Right on Dave
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 07:31 PM   #11
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:

Damn son.

Well said. So very well said.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 09:15 PM   #12
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:

Pretty much title

Thanks for sharing. I love my Speedmaster Professional.

Oh, to think what an uninformed fool I have been for all these years!

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 09:30 PM   #13
artschool
"TRF" Member

it has long been my favourite watch
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 11:54 PM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

I have to admit, I just can’t see what the OP is talking about.

The speedmaster, to me, just feels rock solid pure quality.

It’s super legible and easy to read. Even the chronograph. Which is rare. I never used the chrono on any other watch. I also love winding the movement.

The clasp is solid and the pushers to open and close are super smooth. It’s also a great fitting watch as a whole.

Agree also with the above poster. I see someone with a speedmaster on and I have instant respect. A sub, and I’m suspect. Could be an enthusiast or could be a DB.

Old 9 June 2019, 12:01 AM   #15
xspect
"TRF" Member

A sub and a speedy is the prefect 2 watch combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 12:07 AM   #16
hchj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
My Speedy

What is the Omega part no. of the brown strap? Look sharp!

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
hchj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 12:17 AM   #17
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspect View Post
A sub and a speedy is the prefect 2 watch combo.

Agree.

Old 9 June 2019, 12:18 AM   #18
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

I don’t know the part number. I bought it at the Omega boutique in Short Hills, NJ. It was expensive.

Old 9 June 2019, 07:30 AM   #19
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedssd View Post
Great summary
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Right on Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Damn son.

Well said. So very well said.
Thanks guys, I guess I get a little emotional about Speedmasters.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 07:01 PM   #20
Pops1973
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
Awesome watch that has the vintage feel and you have to wind it up lol love it.
Pops1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 07:36 PM   #21
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

So you was walking, you saw speedmaster, did not like it. Wow! How could this happen? Whose fault is it?
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 12:49 AM   #22
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
To the OP....did you check out the speedmaster FOIS?
Old 10 June 2019, 02:41 AM   #23
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Thanks for sharing. I love my Speedmaster Professional.

Oh, to think what an uninformed fool I have been for all these years!

I think this looks really good on leather.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 02:42 AM   #24
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
My Speedy

Very nice.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 04:25 AM   #25
Superbri22
"TRF" Member

Tried on a Speedy yesterday at the AD, wasn't a fan

Opposite happened to me yesterday . I casually walked into Omega yesterday with my Rolex on, the women quickly said I see you are a Rolex girl. Quick answer was, I like watches not for the name but how they make me feel. Which is true I own a $20 Casio that I love and of course my Rolex’s. I spotted a Speedy, tried it on and instantly fell in love with it. I wasn’t able to buy it at the moment but I totally get why people love it.

Superbri22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:15 AM   #26
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

Pretty much title

It’s a watch that’s basically unchanged since like 1968. So, it’s basically a modern vintage watch. Which many find appealing.

Functionally, absolutely blows and I mean blows my Daytona away. Let’s start with the excessive shine interfering with legibility. Number 2, there is not even enough hash marks on the sub dials to tell the time effectively using the chrono. 3, ever try to use the chrono with those screw down pushers? Not so fun.

Movement is extremely robust, passed all NASA tests, bracelet for me has been great. The only thing a Daytona has on a speedy pro is better water proof. I went gray market and feel at that price, is an exceptional value. But even at MSRP, I dare you to find a better, more robust watch than a speedy.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:49 AM   #27
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

There are very very few people who "just" own a classic speedmaster (or one of the multitude of similar variants like saphire sandwich, FOIS etc). They ALL (almost bar none) "like watches". They may have platinum Pateks at home, or some cool vintage seikos and a few gshocks, it's doesn't matter. To me a speedie signifies a watch lover of some variant.

I know guys with BLNRs, 116520s, explorers, subs etc who have only one watch and in their eyes (though many won't admit) it has to be a Rolex for the kudos that brings. That's fine, but a speedie always signifies to me there is more beneath the surface of the wearer and I give a different level of kudos to the owner...

(JM insinuated something similar about the green strap aquanaut in the recent hodinke video if I recall)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 10 June 2019, 10:30 PM   #28
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

I love the speedy, and I had never thought of it this way. What a brilliant way to put it.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:41 PM   #29
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I get the iconic status of the Speedy Pro but it's not for me either. I prefer the modern iterations of the Speedy, they feel substantially more refined and accomplished.

Depending on the SS model you'll find gold applied indices, ceramic bezel with enamel filling, top notch decorated movement with column wheel and vertical clutch, textured dial, the convenience of 60h power reserve and the comfort of a large legible dial.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:41 PM   #30
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
You don't own a Speedy because it's the most beautiful watch or most technologically advanced - you own it because you want a piece of history on your wrist. I totally love that the watch they sell brand new today is nearly the exact same watch that Buzz wore on the moon. You still wind it by hand, still has that wonderful hesalite crystal, and just keeps things simple. I like that it just has plain black dials and a simple bezel. It just does what it is supposed to. As said above, it is a watch that belongs in every serious Swiss watch collection. It is also a watch that is fun to swap bracelets, straps, natos, etc. For the price on the secondhand market, you really can't go wrong with a Moonwatch.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote