The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 14 July 2019, 01:14 AM   #1
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
Omega leather strap

Thinking about getting the omega leather strap and deployment buckle for my speedy pro and wanted to ask on the forum first. Whats the quality like ? Do people generally get the omega leather strap or is there a more popular choice. Reason i ask is because the omega natos are not worth the money i have one and just wanted to see if people recommended a different leather strap over the omega one ?
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 01:43 AM   #2
Fermi_Paradox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleven View Post
Thinking about getting the omega leather strap and deployment buckle for my speedy pro and wanted to ask on the forum first. Whats the quality like ? Do people generally get the omega leather strap or is there a more popular choice. Reason i ask is because the omega natos are not worth the money i have one and just wanted to see if people recommended a different leather strap over the omega one ?
I've got a new black 18mm Omega leather strap on my 1965 Seamaster which I quite like. It's comfortable and good quality. For my Speedy I have a light brown Hodinkee distressed leather strap which I absolutely love: https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/d...-leather-strap

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Fermi_Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 05:08 AM   #3
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

The OEM strap is great quality but I prefer a nice soft shell cordovan. It's all a matter of personal preference
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 09:30 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned several OEM Omega straps and have found them to be of high quality and a perfect match for the watches they were intended for. With that said, Omega is very proud of the products they sell and it is reflected in the price. I have several straps from Bulang & Sons watch strap company and have been very pleased with the price and quality. The shipping is very fast also. I watch Ebay for straps also and have gotten a couple from there that work but I also am looking for OEM. Do some searching and dive in. Just make sure whatever you buy can be easily returned.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 12:12 AM   #5
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Ive had a look on the official omega website but cant find leather straps anywhere can see natos and other accessories. Are the leather straps not on the website?
Old 15 July 2019, 09:21 AM   #6
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Ive had a look on the official omega website but cant find leather straps anywhere can see natos and other accessories. Are the leather straps not on the website?
Correct. You can order model-correct straps and deployant buckles from an Authorized Dealer (Topper's in L.A. is good) or an Omega Boutique (you can look them up on Omega's site).

I very much enjoy the OEM setup for the Speedmaster Pro, which is a moderately padded strap in low-gloss, black alligator. It's 20mm at the lugs and tapers to 16mm at the deployant buckle, and I think that classic shape works really will with the Speedmaster's equally classic look.

As others noted, these components are a bit expensive, but they work really well with the watch.

Time for me to snap some new photos because I suspect members here are getting tired of me re-posting this one

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 04:59 PM   #7
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

@aec your omega is beautiful on the leather strap, that photo has swayed me i need to have that.
Old 16 July 2019, 04:06 AM   #8
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I've been reading quite a few threads on this here and on other sites as I've been searching for a 2201.50.

I've seen Hirsch mentioned several times as producing a product that is a good substitute for the OEM Omega straps: https://www.hirschstraps.com/

Also, I've read that you can order a custom made strap from Jean Rousseau (the producer of Omega's OEM straps) and the cost will be less than buying one from Omega: https://www.jean-rousseau.com/us/bes...ne-order-form/
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 04:22 AM   #9
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I personally love the OEM leather strap and deployant. It just looks "right" on the watch. Ordered one for my Speedy a few weeks back and just picked up today as a matter of fact!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 05:46 AM   #10
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Also, I've read that you can order a custom made strap from Jean Rousseau (the producer of Omega's OEM straps) and the cost will be less than buying one from Omega: https://www.jean-rousseau.com/us/bes...ne-order-form/
They do great work (have several straps from them). Highly recommend going in person if you are going the custom route.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 06:20 AM   #11
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedssd View Post
The OEM strap is great quality but I prefer a nice soft shell cordovan. It's all a matter of personal preference
I've yet to try a shell cordovan. Could you share your preferred maker for them?

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 06:23 AM   #12
KBM

I'm usually an OEM guy for these things, but the omega straps+deployant cost a fortune.
Old 16 July 2019, 06:35 AM   #13
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
I'm usually an OEM guy for these things, but the omega straps+deployant cost a fortune.
Whats the actual cost for oem strap and buckle? Heard around £500
Old 16 July 2019, 07:21 AM   #14
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Whats the actual cost for oem strap and buckle? Heard around £500
I paid $610 for the OEM black alligator strap with deployant. Yes it is not cheap but if you want OEM, get OEM, not something that is similar to it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 08:39 PM   #15
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
I've yet to try a shell cordovan. Could you share your preferred maker for them?

I've got quite a few, JPM (Jean Paul Menicucci) they are simple but lovely vintage straps with a lacquer coating. Fluco make good value plain padded straps and RIOS New York range has a nice side contrast stitching. Companion Straps is a guy in Dublin who sells on E-Bay and Etsy and makes lovely quality simple stitched cordovan straps to order.

Below there is a JPM in the centre, a Fluco bottom left and Companion top right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3460.jpg (201.0 KB, 315 views)
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 08:47 PM   #16
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice watches and straps.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 09:26 PM   #17
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedssd View Post
I've got quite a few, JPM (Jean Paul Menicucci) they are simple but lovely vintage straps with a lacquer coating. Fluco make good value plain padded straps and RIOS New York range has a nice side contrast stitching. Companion Straps is a guy in Dublin who sells on E-Bay and Etsy and makes lovely quality simple stitched cordovan straps to order.

Below there is a JPM in the centre, a Fluco bottom left and Companion top right
Many thanks!
Old 17 July 2019, 11:30 PM   #18
bck919
"TRF" Member

The deployant clasp is great but, yes, Omega charges a hefty premium for their compatible straps. I have an Aqua Terra Railmaster (2803.52.00) and the Omega boutique quoted over $700 for just the strap! Crazy prices!

I think value-wise, better to find a custom strap that'll fit. I used Greg Spitz of 922 Leather.
bck919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 01:41 PM   #19
Kingpin15
"TRF" Member

if you want deployment buckle, is oem Omega only choice?
Kingpin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 08:04 PM   #20
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin15 View Post
if you want deployment buckle, is oem Omega only choice?
Perhaps not. I believe there are at least a couple of other makers who can provide a high-quality strap made in the unique dimensions for use with the Omega deployant but otherwise made according to your custom choices.

One of them is the Camille Fournet company in Paris. CF is the strap maker for some pretty solid names, such as Jaeger-LeCoultre. See if this link takes you to the page on their site where you build your own strap. This should give you a sense for materials and other options for customizing, but if you decide you want them to build a strap for use with the Omega deployant then I believe you would just send a note to Camille Fournet to say that's your intent, and then they will capture your choices other than dimensions because they know the dimensions required for the deployant you intend to use: https://www.camillefournet.com/en/wa...ed-watch-strap

There's another private maker who advertises on another watch forum. I'll see if I can point you in the right direction for his offerings.
Old 17 December 2019, 12:17 AM   #21
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I looked at an OEM Omega strap for my Seamaster as the original one was well loved and I was shocked by want the boutique was wanting so I went aftermarket and was very pleased.

It’s branded Omega and I’m sure it’s a knockoff but that’s ok as I won’t be selling it and I kept the original if I do sell
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 07:17 AM   #22
Kingpin15
"TRF" Member

Do you recall where you ordered from? strap only or deployment as well? thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
I looked at an OEM Omega strap for my Seamaster as the original one was well loved and I was shocked by want the boutique was wanting so I went aftermarket and was very pleased.

It’s branded Omega and I’m sure it’s a knockoff but that’s ok as I won’t be selling it and I kept the original if I do sell
Kingpin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 08:11 AM   #23
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin15 View Post
Do you recall where you ordered from? strap only or deployment as well? thanks
Authorized Dealers might be a good source for components at less than the stated retail (instead of Omega Boutiques). Check with Radcliffe Jewelers in the Baltimore area, or your local Omega Authorized Dealer if there is a good one nearby. Radcliffe is an active participant on the TRF Sales Corners, so if you tell them you found them through TRF and are shopping for a good price on these components then the might take care of you. I don't know, but it's worth a try.

Alternatively, stalk the Sales Corner (the one for Non-Rolex Accessories) here and on other watch enthusiast forms (TZ, WUS). That's how I found mine. The OEM strap/deployant set taken off of a brand-new Speedmaster Pro can usually be had for under $500 this way.
Old 17 December 2019, 12:12 PM   #24
Will733
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ Explorer
I second the recommendation to check out Greg at 922leather (see his Instagram).

I didn’t like the reddish brown color of the OEM leather so had him make a custom strap in crazy horse leather. Also had a couple other straps made to fit the deployant since I love the ease of use with Omegas deployant buckle. I only have one OEM deployant and the rest are unbranded but same style. Find them on eBay by searching for 18mm Omega deployant.

If you like the reddish brown OEM strap though, let me know and I could sell mine.