The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 5 December 2019, 08:06 AM   #1
Gnhm3
"TRF" Member

Omega Dark Side Apollo 8 Long Term Resale

Hi everyone,

I am going back and forth on an Apollo 8 which would be my first Omega purchase. I know it is hard to gauge the future but wanted to see what you guys think of this particular watches long term value? I love the look of it but don't want to buy a watch that takes a beating value wise. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Gnhm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 09:10 AM   #2
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnhm3 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am going back and forth on an Apollo 8 which would be my first Omega purchase. I know it is hard to gauge the future but wanted to see what you guys think of this particular watches long term value? I love the look of it but don't want to buy a watch that takes a beating value wise. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Take a look at the other ceramic “sides”. They take quite the hit in the secondary; even new it’s not hard to get a few grand off. This one is slightly different but I’d be amazed if does any better, given the less than enthusiastic response to the dial.
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 11:40 AM   #3
jh225
"TRF" Member

A watch, any watch, is a poor choice for an investment.......
jh225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 12:28 PM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You need to define to yourself what "take a beating" means.

Omega usually does very well in the used market, as do a few other brands, but there is nothing to expect that it will make you rich.
Old 5 December 2019, 12:40 PM   #5
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Will trade around 5-7 k.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 10:11 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
What you can get for the watch in relation to what you pay will determine how you will later do on a flip or sell. It is easy to get a feel for the watches if you will research the prices on Chrono24 you should see where they are new and used. I think one of our Trusted Sellers, DavidSW, has one listed on his site at a nice discount.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 05:53 AM   #7
Gnhm3
"TRF" Member

I have the opportunity to pick up a new one for $7600. I definitely don't look at this or any watch as an "investment". Just nice to know if you ever want to sell for whatever reason you are not losing half on it. My PAM 0000 for example is the same price now as when I picked it up 3 years ago. Don't expect the same here but I don't have much experience with Omega.
Old 8 December 2019, 06:51 AM   #8
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

1) This is a watch that must be purchsed pre-owned @ substantial discount.

2) It is a watch you MUST love 100% because it might prove very difficult to move on from in any capacity.

3) If resale is anywhere in the mix regrading your purchase decision, PASS. Expect there to be VERY POOR resale.

They have made way too many iterations of these and that dilutes the line. In time this will get lost in the shuffle and thus the market will decline in interest...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 07:37 AM   #9
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Agree. Can’t see this one holding value even in the near term. I bought one on a whim at an AD then got out of it for about $2k loss in July. Market for them much worse now. If you look on classifieds on this forum they’re not moving.
vandyologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 02:46 PM   #10
Cdaddylutz
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Try searching it on this forum. There has been one on here for as long as I can remember and has about one hundred bumps. Like others said-buy used.
Cdaddylutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 06:44 PM   #11
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Buy it if you like it. Personally (as an owner) it’s a great watch. You won’t make money on it but it’s an enjoyable watch to wear. These will hit a floor where they don’t go much lower. There have been ‘versions’ of the dark side but this is the only one with a manual wind movement and it wears very different to the automatics as it is much thinner. The dial is also fantastic and much better in the flesh than photos. If you are a traditionalist, it might not be for you. I thought I was and it now shares wrist time with my 16710.

It’s a bit sad to see an entire thread about value retention but to be expected These days. OP I suggest a search on the Omega forums if you want to know more about the actual watch.

But it right. You might like it....
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 08:42 PM   #12
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
1) This is a watch that must be purchsed pre-owned @ substantial discount.

2) It is a watch you MUST love 100% because it might prove very difficult to move on from in any capacity.

3) If resale is anywhere in the mix regrading your purchase decision, PASS. Expect there to be VERY POOR resale.

They have made way too many iterations of these and that dilutes the line. In time this will get lost in the shuffle and thus the market will decline in interest...
100% agreed and I keep reminding myself as I've been tempted to nag one.

Plenty for sale on the secondary market is already a warning signal.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 02:43 AM   #13
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I bought one of these, new, at a substantial discount. Hopefully that discount was enough that if (not when, but if...) I decide to sell it, I'll do OK. I do know that the seller sat on it for quite a while.

My AD refused to discount it any, so *they* think it still demands a premium.

The watch is much better in person than in pics.

I'm curious if the OP went for it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSOTM 2 smaller.jpg (223.8 KB, 639 views)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2022, 10:41 AM   #14
Gnhm3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I bought one of these, new, at a substantial discount. Hopefully that discount was enough that if (not when, but if...) I decide to sell it, I'll do OK. I do know that the seller sat on it for quite a while.

My AD refused to discount it any, so *they* think it still demands a premium.

The watch is much better in person than in pics.

I'm curious if the OP went for it...
Logging in on here after a few years :)

I did purchase it and love it!!
Old 27 August 2022, 03:16 PM   #15
watchik
"TRF" Member

I asked the same question here a few months ago. I do think this watch will go up in value after it is discontinued.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
watchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2022, 03:25 PM   #16
watchik
"TRF" Member

Just get one - I love mine:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
watchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 02:00 PM   #17
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
They list for around $2k under retail in Aus for new examples but dont move quickly

A guy on the groups recently got one from Omega after a 8 month wait from time of deposit, so even though its unlikely you'll see them in a cabinet here, they still trade under retail BNIB

If you're concerned about a "watch that takes a beating value wise" i suggest you don't look at a Speedmaster unless its got a 321 movement or a cartoon character on the dial...
Old 18 December 2023, 08:21 PM   #18
FiftyH
"TRF" Member

reviving an old thread - i heard from the boutique today that the Apollo 8 is now indeed discontinued.
FiftyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 05:13 AM   #19
Gnhm3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyH View Post
reviving an old thread - i heard from the boutique today that the Apollo 8 is now indeed discontinued.
Funny enough I JUST was looking at these prices yesterday. Looks like they have held pretty solid. No regrets here with buying mine
Old 19 December 2023, 01:08 PM   #20
Sauzo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
They list for around $2k under retail in Aus for new examples but dont move quickly

A guy on the groups recently got one from Omega after a 8 month wait from time of deposit, so even though its unlikely you'll see them in a cabinet here, they still trade under retail BNIB

If you're concerned about a "watch that takes a beating value wise" i suggest you don't look at a Speedmaster unless its got a 321 movement or a cartoon character on the dial...
Even a SS 321 is not selling over retail if you factor in the tax. When I sold my 321 I broke even. Now my Snoopy, I’ve had people trying to buy that off me but not going to happen. Like it much more.

And to answer the OP, buy what you like. Most luxury items will lose money when you walk or drive it out. Believe it or not, even Rolex used to lose cash until all the crypto bros and instagram flexers decided Rolex was a thing.
Sauzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 01:14 PM   #21
Sauzo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyH View Post
Weird, I was just offered one from my OB 2 weeks ago. Checked it out but passed as I’m waiting to see what happens on hopefully Jan 2.
Sauzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 02:07 PM   #22
IFlyPlanes
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
Weird, I was just offered one from my OB 2 weeks ago. Checked it out but passed as I’m waiting to see what happens on hopefully Jan 2.

I was offered one on Friday. They are selling grey below retail.
IFlyPlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 10:38 PM   #23
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great watch and one I owned in the past. Might buy one again if I see one that is priced right.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 01:23 AM   #24
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

It's a cool watch, pretty big though so make sure you try one on.

Omegas will lose around 35% if sold to a dealer, and this will be difficult to sell on your own.

It's a cool watch no doubt, but not a value retainer or a good investment. Most watches are neither anyways
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 01:57 AM   #25
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
It's a very cool watch but I don't get Omega's obsession with 44+ mm watches. The size alone makes it tough to sell. I would suggest trying it, or any of there many other 44.25mm watches out on the wrist before buying. When I went to sell my Moonphase, people weren't busting through the door to get it, I can tell you that.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 06:05 AM   #26
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Curious to see what the new Apollo 8 will look like...clearly they will get is COSC certified as this one isn't, etc.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 02:20 PM   #27
PTCDAD
"TRF" Member

I’ve been considering this piece too. Are they making a new version? I inquired about this piece on line & with my AD & both said it’s available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PTCDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 02:33 PM   #28
Spyder555
"TRF" Member

I bought one 14 months ago, from a dealer in SF. Had it shipped to Portland where I have a place. No tax. It's probably depreciated 10% or so. It's a cool piece though. As others have stated, buy what you like and don't expect it to go up in value. 10 years down the line some appreciate and others don't. Enjoy what you have, and wear it. These are not like Rolexes that do appreciate, but currently, I'm not so sure that's as true as it has been. Times are changing for luxury goods. Happy Holidays all
Spyder555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 06:03 PM   #29
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
It's a very cool watch but I don't get Omega's obsession with 44+ mm watches. The size alone makes it tough to sell. I would suggest trying it, or any of there many other 44.25mm watches out on the wrist before buying. When I went to sell my Moonphase, people weren't busting through the door to get it, I can tell you that.
Got one from my great OB earlier this year, and while it is a 44.25 mm watch, because it's ceramic, partially skeletonized, & has a sapphire back (& front), & the lug-to-lug is just about 50mm, it's lighter and actually wears smaller than you might think. I have a 16.5 mm wrist & I can pull it off. As a comparison, a 42mm Skydweller- which I measured out at about 52.25 mm, end link-to end link- is heavy, extends off my wrist, & I cannot wear.

Back to the DSOTM- love the black & yellow, love the laser etching on the dial side & the movement & the lume is killer. A lot to like about this piece and should definitely be tried on before making a decision!
Old 20 December 2023, 10:33 PM   #30
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Stu View Post
Got one from my great OB earlier this year, and while it is a 44.25 mm watch, because it's ceramic, partially skeletonized, & has a sapphire back (& front), & the lug-to-lug is just about 50mm, it's lighter and actually wears smaller than you might think. I have a 16.5 mm wrist & I can pull it off. As a comparison, a 42mm Skydweller- which I measured out at about 52.25 mm, end link-to end link- is heavy, extends off my wrist, & I cannot wear.

Back to the DSOTM- love the black & yellow, love the laser etching on the dial side & the movement & the lume is killer. A lot to like about this piece and should definitely be tried on before making a decision!
Yeah I hear you. I enjoyed my moonphase, but the size does limit their appeal and make them tough to sell. The DSOTM is a really cool looking watch and has a reasonable thickness. And yeah as you say the ceramic cuts down the weight and some of the visual bulk. But I think many buyers just turn away when they read the stated diameter. If Omega would measure w/o the crown guards, or simply lie like Rolex does, they'd probably sell more.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote