The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 July 2017, 10:53 AM   #1
dumbo1234
"TRF" Member

Women and their DJ 36's?

Anyone with wives out there sporting DJ36's? My AD claims that is THE best size for a woman, timeless and can fit most anyone, but I was hoping for some confirmation pictures here. The AD saleswoman is 5 foot 5, medium build, but my wife is 5 foot 9 and a very athletic build (rower in college), and I am worried it may not be the right size. As a gift, I am trying to narrow it down without giving too much away (i.e, taking her to the AD and saying "pick one").

A Pearlmaster 39 would be superb if it weren't so damn expensive. I am leaning toward two-tone Rose, she has a rose gold ring and loves that color. I hope this is a watch she can wear with anything
dumbo1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 10:57 AM   #2
dmash
"TRF" Member

I disagree, especially with saying it's 'timeless'. 31 is 'timeless', and the size most women would go for (31-34). With the lugs on the DJ, a 36 is not small at all. Not to mention 36 was THE man's size for how many years?

However, despite all that, if your wife is 5'9 and very athletic, then a 36 may indeed look drastically better on her.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 11:15 AM   #3
dumbo1234
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I disagree, especially with saying it's 'timeless'. 31 is 'timeless', and the size most women would go for (31-34). With the lugs on the DJ, a 36 is not small at all. Not to mention 36 was THE man's size for how many years?

However, despite all that, if your wife is 5'9 and very athletic, then a 36 may indeed look drastically better on her.

Thanks. She tried on a 31mm awhile back, and it was a bit "dainty". 34mm looked great however. I should clarify; she wears a GMT II TT 7 days a week, so I know that 36mm won't be "too big". More worried about it being "the right size" for a dressier watch.
Old 12 July 2017, 12:20 PM   #4
robrosen
"TRF" Member

My wife is also 5 ft 9 and has a DJ36. She also wears her Daytona and SubC. The DJ36 looks great on her wrist.
robrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 12:36 PM   #5
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo1234 View Post
My AD claims that is THE best size for a woman
Does the store make more money selling 36 vs 31 vs 28?

Think about that.
MrTwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 01:39 PM   #6
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Big watches on girls is just the current fad.

Give it a few years to blow over and they'll be back to wanting small with no date

Maybe.

(but best thing with big watch fad, there's a chance I might get hand-me-down after she's over it)
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 02:02 PM   #7
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
My wife is 5'11'' and is built like a tank. She wears a TT Lady DJ 31mm and it does not look at all dainty on her. She's also eyeing a Panerai 684, which is a 42mm diver, and it looked pretty good on her. It's about what she's comfortable with and what suits her.

I agree with the comments about 36mm not being timeless and I also wonder whether your AD is trying to shift watches of this size for a reason i.e. they're not popular.

In a nutshell pick out something that your wife will wear and love, not what the AD is trying to punt in your direction. Might be worth visiting a different AD.

Good luck

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 02:22 PM   #8
armen34
"TRF" Member

It's difficult to judge by height and built. Best thing to go by is wrist size and style. If she wants a sporty watch, for everyday wear go with a larger size or if she wants a classy piece for special occasions go for the smaller sizes.
armen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 02:29 PM   #9
MonBK
Banned

Quote:

Since 1945.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 02:30 PM   #10
melrob1
"TRF" Member

31mm fots my thin wristed 5'2" wife just perfect. From sounds of it 36 would be perfect for your wife. However few other options would be 37mm YM everrose amd SS! Also I would try 41mmin ER and SS!
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 02:52 PM   #11
AboutTime
"TRF" Member

My wife and I are in our mid-70s. My wife, a slender 5'8" with 6+ inch wrists, wears a 36 mm DJ. She chose the 36 mm DJ for herself a few years ago; I would have chosen a 31 mm for her. My wife believes that the small watches many of her friends still wear look "dated." My advice is to let her decide.
AboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 03:13 PM   #12
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Quote:

Agreed here unless you're looking at an older model, but at 5'9" it might work for your wife

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 03:28 PM   #13
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

I agree with the AD, 36mm will be the right size for your wife.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 02:19 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wife, slender and about 5ft 7in wears a 36 DJ as her daily beater. Looks and works great! She wanted pink dial and diamonds so we found a franken DJ36 with newly serviced 1995 movement for anound 6k.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 02:21 AM   #15
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
My wife is 5'3", 6 1/3" wrist.
Wears both a 26 and a 36 DJ, or a 36 Breitling, depending on her mood that day.
Old 13 July 2017, 02:30 AM   #16
rocco1109
"TRF" Member

My wife is 5'8" and wears the 36mm DJ daily

I was taking this photo of my dog a couple nights ago but noticed the nice wrist shot. If I were you, I wouldn't even think about a watch smaller than 36mm for your wife.

rocco1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 02:30 AM   #17
kcmo
"TRF" Member

There is no 'best size' for a woman, just as there isn't one for a man. Watches are personal and what works for one woman (or man) won't work for another.

I'm female and 5'6" with a wrist size of about 6.3" and wear a 116520. I wore a 36mm DJ for years, but have also owned a GMT, Explorer 2, YM (40mm), submariner, and a few others. There is no 'rule'.....it's all about personal comfort and style.

I bet you'd be surprised to see what your wife would choose! Half the fun is trying them all on!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 02:43 AM   #18
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I picked up a 36mm dj for myself and it felt too small for me, gave it to my wife. She's 5' 5"ish and played lacrosse in college (30 now), but on the smaller side with tiny wrists. I had to take all links out and tighten the clasp all the way, still the 36 looks best IMO
Old 13 July 2017, 02:49 AM   #19
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
My wife wears a 36mm DJ and a 34mm vintage 1002 OP. She likes them both. I think the 36mm looks great on her.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 02:53 AM   #20
JPSUB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Got my wife a 36dj a couple months ago and she really likes it. Also works perfect because I can also wear it. She is 5'3" and normal build, currently 8 months pregnant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 July 2017, 03:05 AM   #21
dmash
"TRF" Member

JP, beautiful pair of watches and congratulations on the pregnancy!

It would be my opinion though, that the DJ looks quite large and uncomfortable on your wife's wrist. Especially if this was a daily wear. I am quite certain that if a guy posted a similar style asking for opinions here on TRF, the vast majority would tell him to go down a size.....

but as other's have said, it's all personal opinion! OP, I think we can conclude you have to let your wife try it on

P.S. In no way being rude, just simply stating an opinion for sake of the OP's original question!
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 04:44 AM   #22
dumbo1234
"TRF" Member

OK, thanks! This thread helped to convince me to try the 36mm. I decided to go pre-owned (neither of us like buying new, always more for your money when buying pre-loved from an enthusiast) and I found a like new 116231 from a vendor here. White and roman numeral dial. It isn't being given away like some DJ36's (65% of retail) but the price seems very fair as it isn't easy to find used 116231's here for sale. I rarely seem them for sale, and often they are odd builds.

I will post pics as soon as I get it! I think it will be the perfect compliment to the TT GMT that is her daily; dressier, but a different, slightly more feminine look.
Old 13 July 2017, 06:25 AM   #23
Basque1
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 1973ca
Honestly I am old school, I see women with 31 or 36mm watches and in my opinion is a turn off. My wife had a TT Date Just with a blue dial in 26mm unfortunately it was stolen and she was devastated. But whenever she wore it almost every one had a compliment to her as to how nice an appropriate it looked. Here is a clone of that watch. This one still has the protective stickers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TT Date Just.jpg (204.8 KB, 465 views)
Old 13 July 2017, 06:57 AM   #24
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo1234 View Post
Anyone with wives out there sporting DJ36's? My AD claims that is THE best size for a woman, timeless and can fit most anyone, but I was hoping for some confirmation pictures here. The AD saleswoman is 5 foot 5, medium build, but my wife is 5 foot 9 and a very athletic build (rower in college), and I am worried it may not be the right size. As a gift, I am trying to narrow it down without giving too much away (i.e, taking her to the AD and saying "pick one").

A Pearlmaster 39 would be superb if it weren't so damn expensive. I am leaning toward two-tone Rose, she has a rose gold ring and loves that color. I hope this is a watch she can wear with anything
Saying the 36 is timeless is moronic. It is a new phenomenon, does not mean its bad or wrong but certainly not timeless. Your AD is simply trying to sell you the more expensive model.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 08:18 AM   #25
Kyle89
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
my wife wears a SuC ND, shes petite and it looks just fine on her.
Kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 09:45 AM   #26
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
Saying the 36 is timeless is moronic. It is a new phenomenon, does not mean its bad or wrong but certainly not timeless. Your AD is simply trying to sell you the more expensive model.
Agree. 36mm is traditionally a man's size watch. Whether or not it becomes the new norm for women, i.e. timeless, remains to be seen, as it is a fairly recent trend. I think 31mm is the ideal size for a petite to average sized female, and think anything larger than 34mm is too large. On the other hand, a more robustly built woman (not sure I would ever say a woman was "built like a tank" to her face, as another member said of his wife upthread) may be able to pull off 36mm, but I don't consider it classic or timeless.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 09:49 AM   #27
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSUB View Post
Got my wife a 36dj a couple months ago and she really likes it. Also works perfect because I can also wear it. She is 5'3" and normal build, currently 8 months pregnant.

That looks like she is wearing her husband's watch. No two ways about it. Although, it is a beautiful watch!
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 09:50 AM   #28
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
My wife is tiny and rocks the 36mm no prob. It's a great size.

https://instagram.com/p/BSWlw-vl96x/
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 10:18 AM   #29
JPSUB
"TRF" Member

I don't disagree it looks larger in that particular picture, will try to get another. It is slightly smaller than the Michael kors she was wearing. It may be a current trend but it's probably going on 6 plus years now for women. She tried the 31 which I liked also but she preferred the bigger and much better deals to be had on a 36. I think the 26 is a bit dated looking now but that's just me opinion. I spent hours trying to decide, google images etc. and probably all a waste of time becaUse it comes down to what she likes. I originally thought of surprising but glad I didn't as she enjoyed looking and picking what she liked

Old 13 July 2017, 10:28 AM   #30
JPSUB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
My wife is tiny and rocks the 36mm no prob. It's a great size.

https://instagram.com/p/BSWlw-vl96x/

Looks great