The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2017, 11:12 PM   #1
timeseek
"TRF" Member

Datejust purchase question

I currently have a sub (in for service) and was considering purchasing a datejust. While I purchased the sub from an AD, I am wondering whether I should do the same for the datejust. I am looking at the stainless model, 36mm, which seem very prevalent, and steep discounts through grey dealers. Is the deprecation on this model that steep? Also, when I look at used ones, the costs is even further reduced, where other models seem to keep up with current trends.

I if were to purchase new, what are people's thoughts on this one? Grey or AD? Also, if I go grey, would Rolex honor the warranty? As I recall when I purchased the sub, the AD swiped a card. I thought nothing of it, as I just assumed it registered the watch with Rolex with me as the owner, and to start the warranty period. Maybe I was incorrect in that assumption. If I go grey, would the card be swiped, and if yes, the names would not match.

The reason why I am asking, and I agree, it may seems silly, is being somewhat practical, it does not make sense to pay $6,600 USD for something that could be had for $5,400 USD grey, or for something that would only be worth $3,200 USD just a year or two later. While I understand a watch is never an investment, it is somewhat concerning of a 50% drop so soon. And should something be wrong with the watch, would the repairs be covered, or would I have to pay?

Sorry for so many questions. If this is already covered in another post, please feel free to redirect.

Thanks all.
timeseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 11:30 PM   #2
zjd168
"TRF" Member

grey new shall be fine and Rolex honors the warranty.

I know people will recommend the so called trusted sellers here. While their services are generally fine, their prices are not good. You can get a lot better deals from overseas or somewhere else
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 11:34 PM   #3
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
I bought my full set stickered new model DJ41 with blue dial at a 16% discount at a grey dealer and I saved € 1.400 on the MSRP.
Old 21 July 2017, 02:17 AM   #4
Hawaii2017
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36mm ref. 16233
Grey depending on the state of the watch and model.
Hawaii2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 04:22 AM   #5
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

Get a full-set stainless steel 5-digit DJ in good condition. You can routinely find those in the $3500-$4500 range and they won't depreciate as much as their 6-digit counterparts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 04:34 AM   #6
Hawaii2017
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mementomori1983 View Post
Get a full-set stainless steel 5-digit DJ in good condition. You can routinely find those in the $3500-$4500 range and they won't depreciate as much as their 6-digit counterparts.

What is so special with the 5 digit sn # that it will command a higher return than the 6 dig?
Old 21 July 2017, 04:36 AM   #7
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii2017 View Post
What is so special with the 5 digit sn # that it will command a higher return than the 6 dig?
better looking dials
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 04:47 AM   #8
Hawaii2017
"TRF" Member

Hmmmmm! Interesting! What sort of in demand now of dial are we looking at that would be offered and command a premium for example other than the obvious?
Old 21 July 2017, 11:46 AM   #9
Medtriguy
"TRF" Member

Here's the deal with datejusts. Lots of them with lots of options so resale is not as good as the stainless sports watches. That's just a fact over time thus far. If you're going to keep it a long time or forever who cares about that I guess. If u buy from grey market and don't have warranty card then no warranty coverage. The swiping of the card thing is so that 5 years down the line a grey market seller can't say the watch is new at that point. Rolex doesn't want "unworn watches" showing up years later if you know what I mean. Patek had gone to a process recently to cut down on this by opening the sealed stickers on their boxes and keeping the plastic after the sale believe it or not
Medtriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 01:22 AM   #10
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii2017 View Post
Hmmmmm! Interesting! What sort of in demand now of dial are we looking at that would be offered and command a premium for example other than the obvious?
Not really a premium in that way but I do think the older DJ models have better looking dials such as the linen dial. There is so much more variety. The current ones are too plain.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 04:31 AM   #11
timeseek
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone!
timeseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 04:34 AM   #12
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:

I'm a five digit guy, and I'd probably pick one over the too-shiny 6 digit DJ, but there are pretty compelling reasons to go with the newer watch in this particular case. I'd have a hard time buying a dressy Rolex with hollow end links unless it was genuinely vintage.

I'd take a 36mm explorer 1 over both DJ's without a second thought.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 04:44 AM   #13
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
I'm a five digit guy, and I'd probably pick one over the too-shiny 6 digit DJ, but there are pretty compelling reasons to go with the newer watch in this particular case. I'd have a hard time buying a dressy Rolex with hollow end links unless it was genuinely vintage.

I'd take a 36mm explorer 1 over both DJ's without a second thought.

Oh, no question. The 6-digit models definitely offer lots of benefits from a functional standpoint. I made the suggestion to go 5-digit as it seems from the OP's post that he/she's factoring in the depreciation hit in the purchase desicion.

I currently own two 6-digit Datejusts, for what it's worth.
mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 04:50 AM   #14
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Oh, no question. The 6-digit models definitely offer lots of benefits from a functional standpoint. I made the suggestion to go 5-digit as it seems from the OP's post that he/she's factoring in the depreciation hit in the purchase desicion.

I currently own two 6-digit Datejusts, for what it's worth.
Ah, makes sense.

There are very few "real" six digit models (the old SS bezel Daytona and 36mm Exp 1 aren't really super case/maxi watches) I'd pick over a five digit. The 36mm DJ is one of the few I'd have to seriously think about.

I rather like the 6 digit TOG models.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote