The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 3 October 2018, 11:51 AM   #1
JPSUB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
5196R Calatrava thoughts & comments

I am new into Patek, long time rolex and vintage Speedmaster to date, but recently taken to the idea of a Patek. In the long game to eventually get a 5167 or 5711 but also have really been blown away with the 5196r I’ve tried on at my local AD. I never thought I would like such a simple dress watch as much as I do this one. Looks good with a suit or a golf shirt I’m shocked. It seems that calatravas don’t get a ton of love from the Patek community and I wanted to see what y’all’s thought are? My only complaint on it is the lack of exhibition caseback but otherwise love everything about it. It looks like a truly classic and vintage piece. Also like that it can help build a relationship with an AD. The other downside I’m trying to wrap my head around is the ability to resell if I came to that juncture for whatever reason. With all the Rolex sport models and other watches I’ve owned/own they are fairly liquid and are all Worth more than I paid, I’ve never bought retail. So the 5196 would be a bit out of the norm for me in that regard. Appreciate any comments or owner experiences with these

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 October 2018, 09:11 PM   #2
Tay821
"TRF" Member

I happen to really like this ref. You need to buy right as these don't hold their price like others do though. However there's upside of buying this before a more in-demand piece from your AD.
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 10:00 PM   #3
Codik
"TRF" Member

The 5196r is the most beautiful Patek on sale today, in my opinion. It’s “watch” distilled to its purest form.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 03:22 AM   #4
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Great great watch w a tiny mvmnt

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 09:42 AM   #5
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
5196 is an excellent piece and is the closest current model Calatrava to the original ref. 96. I also was interested in buying this watch and the lack of the exhibition caseback was an unfortunate downside to it. If you are buying new from the AD, the watch will lose quite a bit when it hits the secondary market. I believe retail in the US is $22k and you can get LNIB pieces on the secondary for like $16k. Many Pateks do take a hit from retail to secondary, so I would recommend going down that route unless you are building the relationship with the AD. If you are doing that, the $6k loss on this one may be worth it in order to access to further pieces you may be interested in.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 01:45 PM   #6
Mr.WorldTimer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codik View Post
The 5196r is the most beautiful Patek on sale today, in my opinion. It’s “watch” distilled to its purest form.
I honestly was just supposed to lurk during this session of forum browsing. I had to log in to tell you I love this. I honestly could not have put it better.
Mr.WorldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 04:33 AM   #7
Codik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.WorldTimer View Post
I honestly was just supposed to lurk during this session of forum browsing. I had to log in to tell you I love this. I honestly could not have put it better.

Thanks. It’s legitimately how I feel. As Plato would say (maybe), the 5196r is the closest you can get to true watch Form, all others watches are mere shadows projected on a cave wall by comparison.
Old 6 October 2018, 06:40 AM   #8
JPSUB
"TRF" Member

Well has to go try it on again. Man it’s awesome and the strap possibilities... here are some pics

Old 6 October 2018, 07:35 AM   #9
Codik
"TRF" Member

Simply gorgeous. Looks even better in person.
Old 6 October 2018, 08:49 AM   #10
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Great looking watch! My first step into the Patek waters was my 5196G.
Old 6 October 2018, 11:43 AM   #11
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codik View Post
Thanks. It’s legitimately how I feel. As Plato would say (maybe), the 5196r is the closest you can get to true watch Form, all others watches are mere shadows projected on a cave wall by comparison.

Ha! That's cool how.. Republic.

nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 01:16 AM   #12
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

The 5196g is next on my list. I had one for ages then went on a Rolex “bender” and swapped it when I collected nothing but Rolex. In hindsight (as ever) BIG MISTAKE. I bought a 5146g with an ivory dial recently and love the watch. For me it has real Patek DNA, understated, discrete and beautifully made. Since I got it I’m really back into Pateks as a daily wearers, I can’t wait to get a 5196, I think they will really complement each other. It’s a great reference.
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 03:34 AM   #13
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
I love the pure 5196 design as well, but I can't decide which metal to go for:

The 5196 R, G and Js are probably the cleanest dial layouts.

However, the 5196P is also extremely nice with the applied Breguet numerals and it is platinum, but the P comes at a significantly higher price point (both retail and preowned). So looking at value, I am not sure how well the P stacks up.

What do you guys think in terms of metal, which is nicest 5196?
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 04:06 AM   #14
gmstevenson
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex
I own the P and find it to be very versatile. If you can swing the additional cost I think it is worth the up charge.

gmstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 05:06 AM   #15
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
I have one and adore it. I don’t wear it often but when I do, I notice subtle details anew each wearing. It wears much larger than 37mm... it has no date about which to worry, so that won’t break. Is truly magnificent. It’s really the perfect piece. I rarely wear it because I think it’s so nice and worry about scratches . It’s really an amazing piece.
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 05:14 AM   #16
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmstevenson View Post
I own the P and find it to be very versatile. If you can swing the additional cost I think it is worth the up charge.

The platinum version is the nicest “attainable” dress watch in existence, to me.
Old 7 October 2018, 01:36 PM   #17
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan View Post
5196 is an excellent piece and is the closest current model Calatrava to the original ref. 96. I also was interested in buying this watch and the lack of the exhibition caseback was an unfortunate downside to it. If you are buying new from the AD, the watch will lose quite a bit when it hits the secondary market. I believe retail in the US is $22k and you can get LNIB pieces on the secondary for like $16k. Many Pateks do take a hit from retail to secondary, so I would recommend going down that route unless you are building the relationship with the AD. If you are doing that, the $6k loss on this one may be worth it in order to access to further pieces you may be interested in.
This exactly.

You may also want to look at the Vacheron Constantin Traditionelle 38mm small seconds and the Lange Saxonia or 1815, none of which suffer from the small movement and lack of display back and all of which, I think, are superior to the Patek and less expensive. The platinum 5196 is lovely but it's very pricey and the small movement bothers me. For what it's worth, I have a 5119, the Traditionelle, and the 1815 and the Patek is my least favorite of the three.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 02:10 PM   #18
rkot07
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, DD, DJ II
5196R Calatrava thoughts & comments

I have the 5196J and it’s a lovely piece. I wear it dressed up or down and change the straps for different occasions. It’s very versatile. I agree with others in this thread but it second hand and you won’t have to worry much about resale.

rkot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 02:38 PM   #19
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah114 View Post
The platinum version is the nicest “attainable” dress watch in existence, to me.

Gorgeous!

Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 11:56 PM   #20
JPSUB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
This exactly.

You may also want to look at the Vacheron Constantin Traditionelle 38mm small seconds and the Lange Saxonia or 1815, none of which suffer from the small movement and lack of display back and all of which, I think, are superior to the Patek and less expensive. The platinum 5196 is lovely but it's very pricey and the small movement bothers me. For what it's worth, I have a 5119, the Traditionelle, and the 1815 and the Patek is my least favorite of the three.

Appreciate the suggestions and comments. Just curious about what exactly the concern over the movement size is? Is it just because it doesn’t have the exhibition back? Other than that it seems to be a solid tried and true movement from pp. I originally liked the VC and went to try it on but in person it just wasn’t for me, fit a little larger and I preferred. The 1815 just doesn’t appeal to me, much prefer the styling of the 5196. That being said I’d love to have a Lange at some point.

Old 8 October 2018, 12:25 AM   #21
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSUB View Post
Appreciate the suggestions and comments. Just curious about what exactly the concern over the movement size is? Is it just because it doesn’t have the exhibition back? Other than that it seems to be a solid tried and true movement from pp. I originally liked the VC and went to try it on but in person it just wasn’t for me, fit a little larger and I preferred. The 1815 just doesn’t appeal to me, much prefer the styling of the 5196. That being said I’d love to have a Lange at some point.

Personally, I think the lack of an exhibition back enhances the 5196's charm. Some complain about the smaller movement positioning the seconds track too high on the dial, but I feel as though it's pretty well balanced. The movement is solid and, uh, well, time tested — so you shouldn't have any concerns there. If I could change one thing about the 5196, I make would it a 35mm. I don't have a small wrist, and still, there's a bit of a dinner plate effect on account of how thin the case is. That said, if you like the reference, buy it. I do, and did...
Old 8 October 2018, 02:04 AM   #22
blah114
Banned

I prefer no transparent caseback, myself. It’s why I grabbed the 5196r.. don’t buy new..
Old 8 October 2018, 03:10 AM   #23
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSUB View Post
My issue with the caliber 215 is that it's a small (21.5mm) movement that Patek is putting in a 37mm watch with a large spacer and I tend to prefer movements that fit the case dimensions better. Because of this, however, perhaps the solid case back is welcome over a display back, as the 5123 just looks awkward with its display back and the same movement. If you don't like the VC or the Lange, the 5196 is a fine choice and a true classic.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 07:53 AM   #24
glimmer
Banned

I am also looking at a 5196j in the near future....I’d much rather go for the G version but i like the dial color of the J.

glimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 10:28 AM   #25
JPSUB
"TRF" Member

What would be considering a good discount off msrp, 10, 15, 20%? Curious from anyone’s experiences

Old 9 October 2018, 10:35 AM   #26
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

I purchased my 5196G for about 15% less than MSRP. I think I waited about two weeks for it to come in.
Old 12 October 2018, 03:22 AM   #27
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

I also vote for the p

Old 12 October 2018, 03:23 AM   #28
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmstevenson View Post

I just ordered a brown strap because of your picture. Looks fantastic.

Old 19 October 2018, 01:19 AM   #29
gmstevenson
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalf123 View Post
I just ordered a brown strap because of your picture. Looks fantastic.

Congrats! I think it makes the watch really versatile. The shiny black strap is great but is more dressy. I also have a matte black on order and am curious to see how that will look.

gmstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 06:01 PM   #30
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Would it be silly to buy this at the Geneva Salon (I'm deciding between G and R) so that I have a watch from the Geneva shop?

I live in Hong Kong and the Geneva Salon price (with no discount) is just a tiny bit higher than the HK AD discounted price.

Given that this watch is rather cheap, I won't consider getting it second hand.

(I have a great relationship with my AD so I don't need to buy more from them to keep them happy.)
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote