The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you suggest to do?
Send it in ASAP. The speck will make its way to the movement and destroy it. 34 22.97%
Live with it and address it at next service. 85 57.43%
Knock the watch hard with a mallet to dislodge the speck. 29 19.59%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7 October 2018, 12:06 PM   #1
themast
"TRF" Member

Speck of dust on dial

Hello, I am the original owner of this watch (bought brand new from AD back in 2013) and the watch has never been opened since I bought it. It has been used gently and never dropped or hit particularly hard.

Well, today I discovered that there is a speck of "dust" on the dial! I have put "dust" in quotations because I am not sure what it really is. The speck was not there before (see photos below) and the watch was never opened. So it is either a speck of dust that was already in the watch, and made its way to the dial, or it is a piece of superluminova (or something else) that came lose.

Overall the watch is running great, and although I have had it for 5 years, I have worn it maybe a 1/6 of the time and I was not planning to send it in yet.

I am ok living with the speck of dust there, there are so many other imperfections on the watch... that does not bother me.

Is this something concerning? What do you suggest to do? (please see poll)

Photo of the dial from a couple of years ago (in the photos there seem to be other specks on the dial. These are on the outside of the crystal).
IMG_0182_2.JPG

Photos of the dial taken today
IMG_3397.JPG

IMG_3398.JPG
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 12:45 PM   #2
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Just had the same thing happen to me. Not a huge deal, a watchmaker should be able to get it cleaned for you for relatively inexpensive. Or, you can wait until service. I’m dropping mine off in a week or two, i think i was quoted $75 to have it taken care of and pressure test it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 12:48 PM   #3
Ucsd626
"TRF" Member

I had a speck on my explorer 2 polar and took it to rsc to get the speck removed. Took them one week and it looked great. Once I saw the speck I couldn’t avoid it.

Ucsd626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 01:19 PM   #4
peterpl
Banned

Send it in. Once seen it cant be unseen and it will affect the way you enjoy your watch.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Your eyes are working very well
Vishy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Leave it. There are risks involved in having the watch opened, serviced. the possibilities are endless.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 04:55 PM   #7
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Leave it. There are risks involved in having the watch opened, serviced. the possibilities are endless.
Not true if rolex do it during service...they open thousands of watches and problems are rare
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 06:08 PM   #8
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
Not true if rolex do it during service...they open thousands of watches and problems are rare
I would still not risk it for something insignificant.
Old 7 October 2018, 06:15 PM   #9
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Gotta be the mallet.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 06:25 PM   #10
Seibei
Banned

6 people voted to knock the watch with a mallet... Another reason to avoid pre-owned watches...
Old 7 October 2018, 08:30 PM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd get it fixed by RSC, white specks on a black dial would bug me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 09:04 PM   #12
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'd get it fixed by RSC, white specks on a black dial would bug me.
Yep specks of dust are the worst on black dials. If it was a different color dial or a lighter colored one it would be extremely hard to see but unfortunately on a black dial it will show up at any angle you look.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 09:09 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Yep specks of dust are the worst on black dials. If it was a different color dial or a lighter colored one it would be extremely hard to see but unfortunately on a black dial it will show up at any angle you look.
Its extremely hard to see now without high magnification, and so miniscule not worth the bother of opening the case until next 5-8 year routine RSC service time.I can see more dust on the dial surface and the general watch but struggle to see that miniscule spec on dial surface.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 7 October 2018 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 09:43 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not do anything and wear the watch. There is a chance it will move or fall to the side. If not and you can not live with it then do a service and have it removed then.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 10:04 PM   #15
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Had it happen and got it removed. I know the risks but it bugged me too. If it drives you nuts then have it fixed. Not a big deal for a watch maker to remove.

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 10:55 PM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Photo of the dial from a couple of years ago (in the photos there seem to be other specks on the dial. These are on the outside of the crystal).
i get that it is a personal thing to be bothered by it or not, however if you are OK walking around with a watch with all kinds of dust and debris on the dial it seems strange to not be ok with a spec under the dial.

Especially around the cyclops that is just dirty but presumably that is fine?

Personally i cant stand my dial being dirty at all and clean it off every time before i wear it and several times throughout the day. If your dial was immaculate and then there was this one spec under the dial, then ok.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 02:18 AM   #17
themast
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for your replies.

The watch is running well and I think I will wait for service time. It seems like this ‘issue’ won’t affect the watch durability/reliability so I can live with it.

Regarding the cleanliness of the watch, the closeups are merciless with minor grime and superficial dust/fingerprints. In real life the watch looks great and I take good care of it (without being obsessed with scratches).
Old 8 October 2018, 02:24 AM   #18
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I would not worry about it
Old 8 October 2018, 11:07 PM   #19
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
Some years ago a Rolex technician who was based at Bexley, UK told me that when they subjected watches to pressure change under lab conditions, it was more difficult to keep out fine dust than water.
He put it down to the surface tension of water which aided sealing.
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 11:12 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Thanks all for your replies.

The watch is running well and I think I will wait for service time. It seems like this ‘issue’ won’t affect the watch durability/reliability so I can live with it.

Regarding the cleanliness of the watch, the closeups are merciless with minor grime and superficial dust/fingerprints. In real life the watch looks great and I take good care of it (without being obsessed with scratches).
no doubt it looks great, just pointing out that you can almost always see some stuff on the dial and you don't appear to be overly OCD... wasn't trying to bust your chops.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 11:37 PM   #21
tommy91
"TRF" Member

I had a black spec on white dial cartier once, it annoyed me everytime i wore it. Flipped it in the end .
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 11:54 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i get that it is a personal thing to be bothered by it or not, however if you are OK walking around with a watch with all kinds of dust and debris on the dial it seems strange to not be ok with a spec under the dial.

Especially around the cyclops that is just dirty but presumably that is fine?

Personally i cant stand my dial being dirty at all and clean it off every time before i wear it and several times throughout the day. If your dial was immaculate and then there was this one spec under the dial, then ok.
This is exactly where I land too
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 01:43 PM   #23
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
no doubt it looks great, just pointing out that you can almost always see some stuff on the dial and you don't appear to be overly OCD... wasn't trying to bust your chops.
Old 9 October 2018, 03:40 PM   #24
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

While driving from San Diego to LA, I noticed a pretty decent size dust flake inside my Sub LVc, which drove me crazy. I called the Beverly Hills RSC, and they told me to bring it in. They told me to hack the watch so it didn't have a chance to go into the movement.

I took it there straight away and while I was at my meeting in LA, they cleaned it out, pressure tested it and called me to come pick it up (all at no cost).

I say send it in.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 04:27 PM   #25
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Keep an eye on it to see if you get more. The original date dial on my 16800 started to flake off white paint after about 15 years of ownership. Dial replaced for free by Rolex during service by independent with a parts account. That was around 2001. Problem solved.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 03:41 AM   #26
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Keep an eye on it to see if you get more. The original date dial on my 16800 started to flake off white paint after about 15 years of ownership. Dial replaced for free by Rolex during service by independent with a parts account. That was around 2001. Problem solved.
Thanks for your input. This is an interesting piece of information. I will definitively keep an eye on it.

Thanks again all for your suggestions/stories. This is very helpful in informing my actions.
Old 10 October 2018, 05:29 AM   #27
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

With my 1987 rolex I purchased from I friend I decided to have the dial changed. It wasn’t an authorized Rolex dealer that I used, but it was a reputable watchmaker. When he put it together I noticed specs of dust on the face. I am extremely anal, so I had him open it up to remove them. Each time he did, he removed the original spec, only to have more dust get in and show as specs in other spots on the dial. Lol. I’m not sure if this is common or if a genuine RSC uses a vacuumed room or something if that is even possible, but it’s something to keep in mind. Does anybody know how a genuine RSC avoids dust, if possible? Or is it common but most people just don’t notice the specs.
Kawirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 05:35 AM   #28
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I’ve got an OCD streak but have learned that sometimes it’s best to leave well enough alone. If during normal wear you aren’t fixated on the speck of dust, I’d suggest forgetting about it until you decide to service it. I don’t think it’s going to wreck your movement if it made its way inside.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 05:42 AM   #29
Meridianum
"TRF" Member

I had a similar issue, except the speck was on the dial upon purchase. I sent it to RSC and they removed it.
Meridianum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 05:56 AM   #30
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Depends on how easy it is to see without magnification. I could go either way with this. I am pretty OCD with my watches so I would guess that I would probably address this issue and have my watchmaker or RSC fix it.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote