The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 January 2019, 03:39 AM   #1
MTBer
"TRF" Member

New JLC Reverso

I’ve been wanting something on a strap to “round” out my collection and decided on JLC. I initially had my eye on the Master Control Date and was hoping to finally add an exhibition caseback to my collection (and what better than JLC in this price range?).

After trying both on though, the Reverso won. The MCD is a fine watch, but I was more drawn to the complexity of the Reverso’s dial, and I’m a sucker for the design and history behind it. My only complaint is the logo is printed directly on the guilloché rather than a smooth section as done on the Grande Taille; this makes it impossible to clearly read without magnification. Then again, flying under the radar isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

My wrist is just shy of 7”, and I opted for the Large size. Despite what the iPhone pic suggests, the lugs don’t hang over either side and actually drape quite nicely. I wouldn’t go any larger though.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 04:32 AM   #2
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Timeless piece. A Reverso really does balance out a sporty collection. Thanks for sharing.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 06:17 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Congrats!
Old 20 January 2019, 06:18 AM   #4
mad_1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,JLC,GS,Omega
Great choice. I have always liked the Reverso.
mad_1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:21 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Really nice, love that version, feels like you're right at the Chrysler building sipping cocktails with Gloria Swanson!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 11:13 AM   #6
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Welcome to the club! A great watch, out of the norm choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 11:25 AM   #7
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
My wrist is 6.5 inches, I like the fit of the large.

Reversos wear differently on the wrist. You have to try them on. I find the same with square and rectangular Cartiers. Not a watch to mail order. Enjoy yours!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 11:49 AM   #8
evsnow
"TRF" Member

I just picked up the duo time in medium. Love it! Have received a bunch of compliments over the past couple of weeks.
evsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:10 PM   #9
Lbreak
"TRF" Member

Great choice! Reverso indeed has a much better dial and heritage. As for Master Control Date, I found the sector dial version more interesting than the applied marker version, despite been slightly cheaper.
Lbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:59 AM   #10
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Just noticed last night that the price went up $200 on JLC’s website so my timing couldn’t have been better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
Timeless piece. A Reverso really does balance out a sporty collection. Thanks for sharing.
It really does! Rather ironic considering its original purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_1974 View Post
Great choice. I have always liked the Reverso.
It really grew on me- I’ve known about the Reverso for awhile and appreciated it for what it is, but never really considered one for myself until seeing it in real life and trying it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Really nice, love that version, feels like you're right at the Chrysler building sipping cocktails with Gloria Swanson!
Thanks! I’ve always liked Art Deco architecture so adding something with those design elements is a huge bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Welcome to the club! A great watch, out of the norm choice!

Ah the Duo I’m lucky my AD didn’t have one of those on display or I may have been at risk of blowing my budget Awesome watch, and I really like that they chose to use indices and sword hands on the reverse to give the dial an entirely different look from the front and pay homage to the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evsnow View Post
I just picked up the duo time in medium. Love it! Have received a bunch of compliments over the past couple of weeks.
Congrats on the pickup! What do you find has drawn the attention? The ‘odd’ shape? I never thought I’d own a watch that’s not round but this continues to grow on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbreak View Post
Great choice! Reverso indeed has a much better dial and heritage. As for Master Control Date, I found the sector dial version more interesting than the applied marker version, despite been slightly cheaper.
My AD only had the applied marker version so I couldn’t do a direct comparison but I agree, the sector seems more interesting. I still think it’s a perfectly understated dress watch, but bordering on too sterile for my tastes considering my small collection. If it were available with a guilloché dial in a design similar to that of my Reverso, I may have had a tougher decision.
Old 21 January 2019, 01:15 AM   #11
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats, def cool watch!
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 01:55 AM   #12
JayHantz
"TRF" Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Congratulations. I love the look of the Reverso with the rectangle case on the leather. Definitely a universal piece with some great history. Looks awesome!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:38 AM   #13
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
New JLC Reverso

Great choice, welcome to the club !

IMO, every good collection needs three basic icons, Reverso, Speedmaster Professional, and a steel sports Rolex.

Old 21 January 2019, 03:21 AM   #14
evsnow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post

Congrats on the pickup! What do you find has drawn the attention? The ‘odd’ shape? I never thought I’d own a watch that’s not round but this continues to grow on me.
Congrats to you as well! What I think people notice is the unique Art Deco case shape. For people that don’t know a lot about watches it is a design that I think is quite unusual and striking when light catches the case shape. To people who know the watch I think it has a similar interest as you don’t see too many of them on the wrist.

I don’t don’t know about you but I thought the rectangular case shape would be a bit difficult to read but with the Arabic numerals I find it quite legible which has been a big positive.
evsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:41 PM   #15
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
Congrats, def cool watch!
Thankyou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
Congratulations. I love the look of the Reverso with the rectangle case on the leather. Definitely a universal piece with some great history. Looks awesome!
Thanks! The leather strap was a must this time around. I've always preferred bracelets, and quite often whenever I see a watch offered on both, the strap seems like an afterthought with poor fitment around the lugs/rounded case area. The squared off Reverso case though lends itself well to a clean integration, and I really like the contrast between the leather and the case that accentuates the lug design- something I think is somewhat lost when paired with the bracelet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Great choice, welcome to the club !

IMO, every good collection needs three basic icons, Reverso, Speedmaster Professional, and a steel sports Rolex.

Two down, one to go- In the steel Sports Rolex's place, I do have a co-axial Bond Seamaster and an SS Datejust, so close enough for now. The only thing I feel is missing at this point would be a GMT, so hopefully by the time my bank account recovers, Rolex will start making them again

Quote:
Originally Posted by evsnow View Post
Congrats to you as well! What I think people notice is the unique Art Deco case shape. For people that don’t know a lot about watches it is a design that I think is quite unusual and striking when light catches the case shape. To people who know the watch I think it has a similar interest as you don’t see too many of them on the wrist.

I don’t don’t know about you but I thought the rectangular case shape would be a bit difficult to read but with the Arabic numerals I find it quite legible which has been a big positive.
I think that's one of the coolest things about these- to most people, it's just a 'weird' watch, so if they notice and comment, it's because of the novel design, not because they recognize it as something fairly expensive. And for those that do know what it is, they're probably a WIS so fun opportunity to geek out.

Regarding legibility, I'm happy too. I know what you mean about the case shape and it's certainly not the watch to wear if you need to know the time down to the exact minute. But I have other watches for that, and having worn a museum dial Movado for years, I'm used to knowing 'about' what time it is
Old 22 January 2019, 07:12 AM   #16
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Congratulations
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 02:21 PM   #17
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
congratulations
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:21 PM   #18
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Congratulations to both new and old Reverso owners. The watches are great, regardless of what size one chooses.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 01:12 AM   #19
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 11:16 AM   #20
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
Congratulations
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajas View Post
congratulations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
Congratulations to both new and old Reverso owners. The watches are great, regardless of what size one chooses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urosfan View Post
Congrats
Thanks all! It's incredible how much tastes can change- Ten years ago I never would have given this watch a second look.