The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 December 2018, 12:03 PM   #31
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
If you find the right AD, its more to do with relationships than deep pockets. Since the market has changed the past 18 months, my AD has come through to a greater extent, which speaks volumes. I am a heavier spender, but there are bigger fish out there.

Never underestimate face time (going in and seeing them) and do NOT take the advice of TRF members that subscribe to the mantra “never buy or reward the AD”..... it’s a two way street and building relationships goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 12:03 PM   #32
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 12:10 PM   #33
mjr24
Banned

I just find stories like this amusing......no wonder Rolex is able to pull this garbage with lower inventory.

I don't understand how some of you pay a ton of money with an AD just for the chance to buy a model at MSRP instead of paying $1,500 more to a gray. Sounds like some of you have really poor business sense.

Yeah, get me $20k of junk I don't need just so I can honor my AD enough that he will save me $1,500 on a stainless model (which, after sales tax, probably is closer to $500 savings).

Rolex dealers treat some of you like they are your crack dealer and you are the junkie. Amazing how crappy they treat you.....
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 12:12 PM   #34
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Hulk isn’t a ‘rare’ watch. It is mass produced and has been in production going on almost 9 years now.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 12:18 PM   #35
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I just let the folks at my AD pick my brain for an hour’s worth of free veterinary consultation last week.........and there’s not even a watch I’m waiting for anymore.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 12:26 PM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbel View Post
Exactly this. I’ve probably spent $50k at my AD over the past 4 or 5 years so certainly not a big spender by their standards, but basically did the above without really even thinking about it. During that time I’ve been offered a BLNR, both a white and black face Daytona, an LV and a BLRO. I bought the BLNR and the BLRO and passed on the others. I never asked to be put on a list for any of them, but we developed a relationship based on our mutual interest in watches and he would reach out when something interesting came in. When I got my BLRO he told me I wasn’t the biggest spender, but he liked doing business with me and knew I really appreciated the watches I was able to acquire. It’s not always about the money.
Exactly the same here Tom
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 12:55 PM   #37
WJGESQ
Banned

I think I'd rather over pay via an AD than get suckered into trying to impress an AD and hanging my hat on hope-faith that one day I'll matter in their eyes.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 12:57 PM   #38
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Hulk isn’t a ‘rare’ watch. It is mass produced and has been in production going on almost 9 years now.

That may be, but you seldom see them in the wild. That's particularly true when compared to the always abundant Daytonas and Bluesies. If the were common, the price wouldn't have shot up as it did.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 01:05 PM   #39
TheFuture
"TRF" Member

Well if were going by how long it took me to get a GMTII I would say 20k+. Now I have been offered hulk sd sky dweller ss.
TheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 01:45 PM   #40
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I would bundle through ADs all day everyday instead of giving a premium to a reseller.

I’ve bought 7 Rolex last year, all “hot” models. I would’ve given a reseller over $30k in profit paying their markup. We know the best way - and most sustaining for the long haul - is to have a relationship with a AD and pay MSRP or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
I just find stories like this amusing......no wonder Rolex is able to pull this garbage with lower inventory.

I don't understand how some of you pay a ton of money with an AD just for the chance to buy a model at MSRP instead of paying $1,500 more to a gray. Sounds like some of you have really poor business sense.

Yeah, get me $20k of junk I don't need just so I can honor my AD enough that he will save me $1,500 on a stainless model (which, after sales tax, probably is closer to $500 savings).

Rolex dealers treat some of you like they are your crack dealer and you are the junkie. Amazing how crappy they treat you.....
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 02:29 PM   #41
josephvman
Banned

+1

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of "rare" BNIB pieces on Chrono24, etc. Most can be bought at modest premiums of around 20%, so why would you buy a bunch of watches you don't really want just to save 20%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
No such thing as a "rare" modern Rolex. You can get any watch anytime within 24hrs.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 02:40 PM   #42
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you want the LV you should simply ask for the LV. Tell them you’d like it by or before your birthday, if possible.

I would bet you get one

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 03:03 PM   #43
mjr24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
I would bundle through ADs all day everyday instead of giving a premium to a reseller.

I’ve bought 7 Rolex last year, all “hot” models. I would’ve given a reseller over $30k in profit paying their markup. We know the best way - and most sustaining for the long haul - is to have a relationship with a AD and pay MSRP or less.
But OP isn’t talking about buying 7 of them and the Hulk is hardly the hottest model. Apples and oranges.

If you are buying watches constantly that are hot models.....then I’d agree with you. However, that is two percent of the crowd buying hot watches. They buy one or two.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 03:14 PM   #44
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Less than 2 years ago, green Sub was readily available at many ADs. Things can change quickly. If there is a recession in major countries like the US, UK and/or China, supply can balloon quickly.
Haha, UK is a major country?
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 03:51 PM   #45
LondonLukeM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116508 YG
I had to spend almost 40k on a DD40 and and OP for my other half before I was offered the BLRO. I wanted to buy these watches anyway though so it wasn't a problem! As others have said, I dont think there is any set formula, it all just depends on your AD and your luck on the day. All the best and I hope you manage to get an LV- as a proud owner I can tell you that you won't be disappointed!
LondonLukeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:17 PM   #46
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
My personal experience has been that it all comes down to your approach with the AD.

Develop a relationship, drop in from time to time, let them know you’re a real WIS and that you have a genuine interest in owning and wearing the references you’re interested in. You might be surprised how it works out for you.
Quote:
Exactly this. I’ve probably spent $50k at my AD over the past 4 or 5 years so certainly not a big spender by their standards, but basically did the above without really even thinking about it. During that time I’ve been offered a BLNR, both a white and black face Daytona, an LV and a BLRO. I bought the BLNR and the BLRO and passed on the others. I never asked to be put on a list for any of them, but we developed a relationship based on our mutual interest in watches and he would reach out when something interesting came in. When I got my BLRO he told me I wasn’t the biggest spender, but he liked doing business with me and knew I really appreciated the watches I was able to acquire. It’s not always about the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10klakes View Post
If you find the right AD, its more to do with relationships than deep pockets. Since the market has changed the past 18 months, my AD has come through to a greater extent, which speaks volumes. I am a heavier spender, but there are bigger fish out there.

Never underestimate face time (going in and seeing them) and do NOT take the advice of TRF members that subscribe to the mantra “never buy or reward the AD”..... it’s a two way street and building relationships goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All of this. All day every day.

These gentlemen speak sense.

If it becomes all about how much you have spent you have no relationship other than to be a cash cow for your AD, and it’s a one way street.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:21 PM   #47
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
Haha, UK is a major country?
Whilst not technically one country, yes. It’s the worlds 9th or so largest economy and has a permanent seat on the security council.

It’s also one of the United States closest allies.

Even if it is currently run by halfwits who are hell bent on screwing that up.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:29 PM   #48
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Whilst not technically one country, yes. It’s the worlds 9th or so largest economy and has a permanent seat on the security council.

i thought it was like number 5

US
China
Japan
Germany
UK

not bad for a small island with a population of <70 million people.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:45 PM   #49
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:43 PM   #50
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam94 View Post
I recently just bought myself a 126333 (two tone datejust fluted bezel, jubilee band, black dial) for my 24th birthday! My first rolex and it is an amazing feeling. I inquired with my sales associate about the possibility of getting a stainless GMT. He let me know that since I bought this datejust to give him a call and he will get me one when I want it. Now, I plan on getting the GMT but I have had my eyes on a 116610LV hulk for a while now and plan on getting it 1 year from now for my 25th birthday. The question is, are these 2 watch purchases enough to land me a submariner hulk? I know there are “wait lists” but I know those to be false and rare models are only sold to VIP customers. If anyone here has had a similar situation and had to buy their way into one of these rare models please share your experience! Or if anyone has any input that would be greatly appreciated, thank you
I would expect now there are many thousands of the 116610LV in this world today so hardly could be classed as being rare.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 11:11 PM   #51
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
My personal experience has been that it all comes down to your approach with the AD.

Develop a relationship, drop in from time to time, let them know you’re a real WIS and that you have a genuine interest in owning and wearing the references you’re interested in. You might be surprised how it works out for you.
Quote:

When I got my BLRO he told me I wasn’t the biggest spender, but he liked doing business with me and knew I really appreciated the watches I was able to acquire. It’s not always about the money.
Could not agree more, guys.

EDIT: Oops, I missed your post, Scott. I see you are on the same page.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 11:18 PM   #52
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

yep. Of course you have to buy watches as well but them liking you is vital. Being polite and personable goes a long way.

I see a ton of rude customers in AD's. People always complain about AD behavior around here, but i have seen way more rude customers than sales associates... and those guys then come in and ask for a watch everyone else is also after and wonder why they don't get it
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 12:36 AM   #53
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
How many purchases until you can get a rare model?

usually more than the number of licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop