The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 March 2013, 10:57 PM   #31
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

I am more into Rolex (and Panerai) currently, but love and respect Breitling. Rolex definitely has better resale values, but Breitling is a much better detailed watch, and a heck of a lot more sporty. It is definitely a personal preference thing with no wrong answer...except for the Milgauss and a few other tragic Rolex decisions. Tudor will shake up the landscape in the US soon though.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 07:40 AM   #32
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I think Breitling is a great watch company. Probably my second favorite behind Rolex. I owned a Breitling Navitimer for four years before I flipped it to finance another Rolex. Here are my opinions...

In the Breitling line up, the models I like most are the Navitimers, Super Ocean Heritages, and the Transoceans. I have never been a fan of the Chronomat, Professional line, etc. Breitlings often get noticed more due to their size, bling factor, sub dials, contrasting leather straps, etc. They stand out whereas Rolex are frequently copied by other companies and are more subdued. This results in people who don't know their watches being drawn to models that are bigger, shinier, or have more stuff going on on the dial. Breitling makes an exceptional aviation time piece that is a classic. Now that they are making their own in house movements, they have upped their game. I have been a flight surgeon in the Navy for four years and Breitling is king among naval aviators. Nothing Rolex produces looks like a Navitimer.

Rolex on the other hand is an icon as a brand. There is an appreciable difference in quality between my Navitimer and my Rolex watches. While my Rolex never commanded compliments, if I was left with one time piece that I was forced to rely upon, it would be my Rolex without a doubt. I began to fall out of love with my Navitimer and more interested in getting a Milgauss or GMT Master II. I settled on the Milgauss and really have not looked back. I started my collection wanting to possess the icons from every brand but have since become a Rolex only collector. It's not that I wouldn't purchase a Breitling again, I'd just have to have a lot of Rolex watches before I would do it. Even then I might take a closer look at IWC.

Breitling makes exceptional watches and if you are heavily involved in aviation, it is the only brand you should consider (with IWC as a possibility). Their luxury pieces don't compare to Rolex, their dive watches while aesthetically pleasing are no match for the Submariner or DSSD. Again this is just my opinion.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 02:13 PM   #33
shnxx
"TRF" Member

I am also trying to decide on a casual watch between Navitimer and a GMT Master II.

I'm more drawn to the GMT Master II but Navitimers are pretty nice...
shnxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 02:29 PM   #34
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnxx View Post
I am also trying to decide on a casual watch between Navitimer and a GMT Master II.

I'm more drawn to the GMT Master II but Navitimers are pretty nice...
To me they both represent the best of each particular brand. With a Navitimer you are getting a more vintage looking piece if that makes any sense. There is a lot more going on with the dial but if you are not getting the Navitimer World then you will not have a GMT function. The Navitimer looks equally good on the Navitimer bracelet as well as the leather thought I highly recommend you get both if able. The Navitimer is also a chronograph so you have that added utility.

Quite honestly, I used almost none of these features and I actually occasionally fly helicopters. The GMT Master II is sleaker, more expensive, and has the obvious GMT function. It is really meant to be worn on the Oyster bracelet but you could surely put it on a NATO strap. The biggest advantage that the GMTIIC has over the Navitimer is that it is a far superior in water resistance. The Navitimer (particularly on the leather strap) is not meant to be used in water whereas the GMT Master II is certified to 100m and has a triplock crown on the newest models.

Which to choose, no right or wrong answer.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2013, 12:30 AM   #35
bear82
"TRF" Member

First post here - nice forum. I have owned a sub since 2005, and I have been looking for a new GMT watch for a while now. I've always been drawn to Breitlings, and now that the B04 comes in a 44 with a brushed 24h bezel, it made my decision so difficult. The B04 is basically at the same price as the Explorer II, and I had to choose between resale or enjoyment. I chose enjoyment. I will always love my sub, and it is wonderful versatility, but I needed a change. Maybe I'll get another Rolex later in life.
bear82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2013, 01:15 AM   #36
akira23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam 1313
I have both & Love them! I did break down and purchased a bracelet for the SO... Get what calls to you....

akira23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2013, 01:18 AM   #37
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
I had my eye on breitlings for years, always thought that was gonna be my first luxury watch. Then one day I woke up and realized I want a watch that will last a lifetime, classic yet still something I'm never going to think of as outdated looking. Picked up my Rolex oyster about a week later and it's been one of my happiest decisions
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2013, 10:51 AM   #38
slickshoes
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750,116622,BLNR
Below is a mediocre pic of my Navitimer and my brand new Rolex Yacht-Master II 116622. I have to say I love my Navitimer. I think it is absolutely beautiful. That being said, however, I have not worn it in months since I got the Rolex. I love the look with the blue dial and I love knowing that it will keep its value for ever whereas the Breitling not so much. I'm sure at some point the Navitimer will get back in the mix but you can't go wrong with the Rolex!

slickshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2013, 12:09 PM   #39
Kevin.S
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them

I like them all :)
Kevin.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2013, 12:31 PM   #40
Rickn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green Sub
When it comes to watches with in house movements I don't feel like brietling is giving anything up to rolex in quality. And in design I feel Breitling does a good job, but might be a little less classy and more brash than rolex which is also fine.
However Breitling still has too many watches with ETA movements, they need to be more progressive in making all their watches completely in house. From that perspective Rolex crushes Breitling and makes me consider Breitling more of a competitor to Tudor than Rolex. Just my opinion of course
Rickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2013, 09:53 PM   #41
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
I would go with the Sub over the SO, but would choose a Breitling chrono over the Daytona. Btw, the Transocean is great!
To choose the chrono over the Daytona was my last decision. It came down to the 44mm vs the 41mm.
Racerdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2013, 12:41 PM   #42
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I own Breitling's and Rolex's and love both brands but I don't think their in the same league!
The only other watch that I own that compares to Rolex is my Omega Speedmaster. IMHO
Sherwooddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2013, 03:36 PM   #43
Htab
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: To many
I personally have Rolex Panerai and AP. I just bought my first Breitling a Super Avenger white arabic dial with diamond bezel on Friday and I love it. It seriously has a lot of presence. I actually like the way it feels on the wrist better then the deep sea. I bought it because I liked the look of it. I feel I made a great decision. Buy the brand that you like the look of, after all you are the one wearing it.
Htab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2013, 09:06 PM   #44
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I own two Breitling watches and two Rolex watches.

I buy watches I like not brand names
Agree 100% !! I have several brands and love them all for what they are!
Old 30 April 2013, 07:20 AM   #45
votepresident

Watch: Tiffany & Co NY NY
Family matters ... I am from a Breitling family - I didnt have a choice.
My father, my mother, step mother, brother, step brother all wear Breitling and drive BMW, its just the way it is. I am on my 3rd Breitling, and my mother has always been telling me how Rolex has the wrong image etc ... I DONT CARE WHAT MY MOM SAYS -
I can wear a Breitling or Tiffy when I go to her house *hides Rolex in closet*
votepresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2013, 09:44 AM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Best to have both

AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2013, 10:22 AM   #47
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I have owned both but now prefer the Chronomat two tone B01. Who know what my taste will be tomorrow. Forget buying the name, go for what does it for you!
Old 2 May 2013, 03:01 PM   #48
32' Sub

Both are great watches. I have a Sub and a Breitling Crosswind. Buy what you like, not for resale value.
Breitling's bracelets are the most comfortable and are far better quality than Rolex.
If you want a Chrono, go with Breitling. For a dive watch, the Rolex Sub is iconic.
Let us know which you purchase!
32' Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 01:56 AM   #49
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Neither brand should be bought from an AD, esp the Breitling. From a trusted or good grey dealer at 10-15% off for a Rolex, and 25-35% off a Breitling represent good value and then very little loss on resale.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2013, 04:54 AM   #50
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
hey Ryan, you really just have to go with what you like. and if you like a breitling more than you like a Rolex....then you should own the Ling.
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2013, 07:00 AM   #51
Survivor
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Love both brands......was a Chronomat man back in the early 90's when it was 'just" a 38MM case......believe it or not, it was considered large. Switched over to Rolex for awhile.....more recently into Omega, IWC and a short flirtation with Panerai. When I saw this beauty, it was back to Breitling.

Most important aspect to buying a Breitling is getting as much of a discount as possible due to the bad resale value/pricing they bring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0123.jpg (118.3 KB, 680 views)
Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2013, 02:18 PM   #52
427shark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dj2 tt, 126610LV
I used to love brietling and owned 4 at once, now I own non. I just got away from the whole brand because all the watches seem to follow the big chunky trend. I still love the anti reflecting coating on brietling, the blue tint looks awesome...if I had to pick one brand rolex across the board gets my vote. I'll probably own another brietling in the future after I buy a couple more from rolex....and then a few from tudor......
427shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2013, 08:31 AM   #53
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
I toyed with the idea of getting a breitling also, but ended up with a panerai and rolex, had thoughs of adding a avenger to my collection, but now I. Leaning on adding another rolex. I got a bad case of watch fever. Lol
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2013, 09:46 AM   #54
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Your wife is telling you to get another watch and you're resisting?
I was thinking the same thing...I'd have one so fast it would make your head spin !
Old 26 May 2013, 09:49 AM   #55
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

I have both brands and love them both,whatever watch is on my wrist is my favorite brand for a day !
Old 31 May 2013, 01:48 PM   #56
Hobart
"TRF" Member

Breitling was my first serious watch. I switch back and forth between the Super Ocean Steelfish and my Seadweller
Hobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2013, 11:27 AM   #57
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Get what you like. Both make great watches. Pretty simple.
Old 7 June 2013, 12:40 AM   #58
taxidriver
"TRF" Member

Both are great watches. :) get the best from both
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370529844.988127.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370529867.973270.jpg
taxidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2013, 06:54 AM   #59
Hobart
"TRF" Member

I have watches in both brands. I love them both. However, if you plan on reselling, Rolex is the way to go.
Hobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 07:43 AM   #60
c.rod
"TRF" Member

the only breitlings that seem to hold any value at all are the super avengers. im pretty sure its the most popular model. there are not a ton of them for sale used. (check watchrecon) only a handful come up. thankfully thats the only model i like..lol
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote