The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 March 2015, 03:56 AM   #1
Makash
"TRF" Member

Rolex or Breitling (quality)

Rolex or Breitling ? (quality)

I know Rolex is something like status symbol, and is considered higher than Breitling. But i was wondering if in the terms of pure quality (without looking on prestige) is Rolex better. Movement, finishing, bracelet quality, etc. If you compare for example the Yacht Master with platinum bezel or the Submariner with the new Breitling Galactic SleekT Unitime (the whole new model, with tungsten carbide bezel) or any other B with in house movement. Which is better? Are Rolex movements better then Breitling in house movements? I read that Panerai, for example doesnt have very high quality in house movements, bacause they are not making them for long time and they need to practise. Is it same with Breitling? Thanks for any answers.
Makash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 04:33 AM   #2
Ca$hOnly
"TRF" Member

I owned my Breitling for 7 years. I had to have a full service done twice within that time period. To me that seems a little excessive. I sold it and got a Rolex. We'll see how this one holds up.
Ca$hOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 04:39 AM   #3
Poly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
I owned my Breitling for 7 years. I had to have a full service done twice within that time period. To me that seems a little excessive. I sold it and got a Rolex. We'll see how this one holds up.
I think that there is a small amount of quality difference between every mechanical watch regardless of who made it.
I bought a subd and a Chronomat evolution within a couple of months of each other. That was about 8 or 9 years ago. I've not serviced either, but today the B loses about 2 or 3 seconds a day, whereas the Rolex about 30 a day. Both need a service.
I love the B, it's just too big for me.
I would rate the quality of my pieces about even.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 04:44 AM   #4
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Trust me, Rolex is better.

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 05:41 AM   #5
Sevada84
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/AP RO/SMP
Breitling just started making in-house movements in 2009 with the B01... So it may be too early to tell in regards to the movements reliability.

My vote would go to Rolex, they make all their parts, have their own foundry, and have a much longer history/track record/experience with several in-house movements designed from the ground up.
Sevada84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2015, 03:02 PM   #6
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I own both brands and I would have to say ETA movements aside, the bracelets and dials are better on Breitling. The models I have are all at least 3-4 years old. I cannot speak to the newer models.

The definite thing is that Rolex has been playing catch-up in the bracelet department in recent years. But they have caught up.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 12:40 AM   #7
TinyCyclops
Banned

Watch: Rolex,PAM,AP,BFF
Owned many Breitlings for two decades, no problems at all...pretty damn good watches!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orig.jpg (41.9 KB, 2048 views)
File Type: jpg istockphoto_299703-thumbs-up_bigger.jpg (8.6 KB, 2041 views)
TinyCyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 02:49 AM   #8
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
about the same level . they both have a good quality of watches.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2015, 08:40 AM   #9
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I know a small sample size, but the two breitlings I have had required an abnormally large number of servicings, and same goes for my uncle who has had 4-5 breitlings. He still likes them despite that, but i'm only keeping one since it was a gift. I've written off the brand, especially the service dept. The one I got as a gift i've had for 15 years, been serviced 5 times.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2015, 10:59 AM   #10
TimeBandit

Watch: You Think?
Fell in love with the SuperOcean SteelFish...Not sure why, just stopped getting the wrist time. Flipped towards SeaDweller.
TimeBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2015, 01:00 PM   #11
mschafer
"TRF" Member

I liked this hodinkee.com report quite a bit. Made me appreciate Rolex even more. Otherwise, it's whatever works for you and whichever watch suits you and your life style better. Best of all, it's all fun.
Check this out:
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/inside-rolex
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2015, 02:29 AM   #12
jimmyred21
"TRF" Member

I have had 4 rolex watches and have had good luck with them. Have had to have them rebuilt after 10 years or so. recently purchased a new navitimer limited edition as I have always loved the way they look. This one has the new b1 movement but to early for me to say how reliable it is. I do however have some thoughts for you. While boating, swimming or bathing I have no concerns about water penetration because of the screw down crown. Although the the Navatimer is rated to be quite waterproof I don't have the confidence I do with any rolex with the screw down crown. 5 years from now I might not feel the same.
Secondly, if I was purchasing my first luxury watch I would purchase a steel Rolex submariner black face date. In my view it's the most versitile watch on the planet. Casual or tux. Not to big or small and built like a BSH. Top resale of you don't hand it down to your family. Just one persons view. Have fun and enjoy whatever you select. Jim
jimmyred21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2015, 03:50 AM   #13
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Had the Chronomat with the 01 movement. Sold it (at a huge loss BTW) but it still remains the most accurate watch I've ever owned and that includes going up against my Hulk which is currently only gaining 1.5 secs per day.
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2015, 02:19 PM   #14
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
There are a lot of watches I don't wear as much But breitling is not one of them.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2015, 02:21 PM   #15
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyred21 View Post
I have had 4 rolex watches and have had good luck with them. Have had to have them rebuilt after 10 years or so. recently purchased a new navitimer limited edition as I have always loved the way they look. This one has the new b1 movement but to early for me to say how reliable it is. I do however have some thoughts for you. While boating, swimming or bathing I have no concerns about water penetration because of the screw down crown. Although the the Navatimer is rated to be quite waterproof I don't have the confidence I do with any rolex with the screw down crown. 5 years from now I might not feel the same.
Secondly, if I was purchasing my first luxury watch I would purchase a steel Rolex submariner black face date. In my view it's the most versitile watch on the planet. Casual or tux. Not to big or small and built like a BSH. Top resale of you don't hand it down to your family. Just one persons view. Have fun and enjoy whatever you select. Jim

Dude the navi is one of their least water resistant watches. Chronomats go deep but navis are not like that.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2015, 11:09 AM   #16
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Had her since new and the quality is great. I get more compliments on this one than on my others

VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2015, 11:17 AM   #17
sakebomb
"TRF" Member

I've owned my bentley 8 years now and recently got the sub c. Quality of both is fantastic. The white dial in the bentley is spectacular! Aside from the hit you take when you sell, Breitling makes fantastic watches.
sakebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2015, 11:23 AM   #18
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

^^^^^^agreed, only negative is the resale but if bought used...score!!
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2015, 12:16 PM   #19
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
I've owned over 30 different Breitlings. Rolex is just better.
lmcgbaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2015, 07:09 AM   #20
wmoore
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116263, 79280
Very satisfied

I currently have 3 Rolex 1 Tudor and this SOH. I give a slight edge to Rolex, however at 2.5 to 4 times the money for the models I bought rolex should have the edge.
That having been said the mesh bracelet on the SOH is super comfortable and there is definitely room in my rotation for the B
Cheers
Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.0 KB, 1566 views)
wmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2015, 01:23 PM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Why did you need to have it serviced twice?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2015, 05:54 AM   #22
Dave A
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 43mm
Well, I have been asking myself the same question for the last year or so!

I have a 44mm Superocean sporting an Ocean Racer strap. It's been on my wrist for 2 years now & looks as good as new.
Accuracy is plus 2s per day, and has been so from day one.
I know the Sea Dweller itch will be scratched at some point, and my only reservation is the Breitling will be pushed to one side through no fault of it's own.
I got a good discount on my Breitling, so can't really complain about depreciation.
... but man is that Rolex really worth the extra £4000 entry fee?
Dave A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2015, 10:45 AM   #23
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Breitling is the brand that got me into this obsession. I think their watches are great. My only beef is with their ETA movements and the whole date changing issues at certain times. I also don't understand why a company like Rolex can basically keep selling the same watch over and over without changing much if anything. Sure Rolex changes some things up a little and starts new lines every once in a while, but Breitling seems to change their entire line up rather frequently.

One of my favorite Breitlings was my Blackbird. I traded it a couple of years ago. If they ever come out with another big date watch with their in house movement, I'll probably buy it. As for their other models, there isn't anything I like enough to buy.
rebel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2015, 09:10 PM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Breitling is great but rolex is better.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2015, 07:28 AM   #25
BrianMay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16203
Just traded my Breitling Colt for half the price I paid 14 years ago - it had a hard life when I was flying.

I put the money towards my mint Datejust 16203.

Breitling was faultless, I prefer the Rolex now I don't need the bezel and stopwatch function.
BrianMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2015, 10:06 AM   #26
Galion
"TRF" Member

Both are good quality watches with reliable movements but Breitlings are built like tanks and are very accurate, Rolex not so much. Said that, I prefer Rolex since they hold their value much better.
Galion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2015, 02:08 AM   #27
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galion View Post
Both are good quality watches with reliable movements but Breitlings are built like tanks and are very accurate, Rolex not so much. Said that, I prefer Rolex since they hold their value much better.
Really?? Rolex Oyster watches are both 'bullet proof' and extremely accurate. I love my breitling crosswind but it's definitely not as accurate as my 4130 movement Daytona!!
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 12:58 PM   #28
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
I've owned several Rolex watches as well as several Breitling in the last 10 years. I believe Rolex to be superior I find Rolex to be easier to wear more comfortable more precise in terms of time keeping I also feel they hold their value much better than Breitling. although the older Rolex watches with hollow links and older Jubilee bracelets may not have been as durable as Breitling in recent years Rolex is making just as good if not better bracelets then Breitling. It's my opinion that if we compare a new Breitling with its in-house movement to a new Rolex the Rolex is better in every way.
madmax21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2015, 03:11 AM   #29
Left wrist
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP PATEK PAM ROLEX
my second luxury time piece was the breitling chrono avenger in like 2004.... this was the titanium avenger, which was since sold, but man did i love that watch. it was ahead of its time size wise, and an AP was very much out of my budget at that time as i was playing a lot of poker back then

personally, at the time, rolex didn't have anything that compared to the wrist presence like a breitling unless you were talking gold. even then, nothing size wise could compare. with that said, I choose ROLEX ALL DAY. to me; and sorry for breitling enthusiasts..... breitlings were more of a fad even though they do have a real history. i don't have any in my collection today. I think they compare more to an omega, in which i choose Omega over breitling....
Left wrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 12:05 PM   #30
vintage navitimer
"TRF" Member

Watch: hard to pick one
My two cents worth of opinion. Breitling has been making it's own movement for just a few short years (actually they bought a small movement company a number of years back and made it there own). Rolex has been making its own movement since . . . well, forever. Advantage Rolex. As for fit, finish, level of polishing work, absolute attention to detail . . . I think Breitling wins that aspect.

Oh, as for Panerai in house movements. Panerai is part of an ownership watch group that includes JLC (jaeger lecoultre) Plenty of history to JLC movements, that is essentially what you get in a Panerai with an "in house" movement. Top notch stuff!

Last edited by vintage navitimer; 30 July 2015 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: forgot to comment on Panerai movement
vintage navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote