The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 May 2018, 07:26 AM   #31
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Im 3 months into ownership of a Velar. Love it but will keep my Disco 4 for proper offroading!!
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 07:55 AM   #32
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Land Rover gets a bad rap.

IMO, it’s BS. Every car manufacturer has got its complaints. And every luxury type car owner should ensure they have a warranty.

I’d not own any car out of warranty.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 02:51 PM   #33
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i knew that was coming. Its been my grail vehicle ever since the first time i ever saw one and then when i drove one for the first time many years later it was solidified. The heart wants what the heart wants and ive been riding the tube and train and bus for a really long time now
I feel your pain! I've been doing that in Singapore for over five years but the buses and MRT (tube equivalent) here are clean, air-conditioned and efficient. I can't stomach the thought of having to go into London when I repatriate in just over two months.

I decided to have a mid-life crisis just for shits and giggles back in 2007 so I bought a LR Discovery. Not an RR, I know, but close enough. I had no issues with it during a very short period of ownership but I was apparently very lucky. A friend of mine had a similar car and had nothing but trouble with it. He spent more times in courtesy cars than in his own. Land Rover's reliability record is shocking but, as you say, the heart wants what the heart wants.

Good luck and I hope you get a good one

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 06:41 PM   #34
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I feel your pain! I've been doing that in Singapore for over five years but the buses and MRT (tube equivalent) here are clean, air-conditioned and efficient. I can't stomach the thought of having to go into London when I repatriate in just over two months.

I decided to have a mid-life crisis just for shits and giggles back in 2007 so I bought a LR Discovery. Not an RR, I know, but close enough. I had no issues with it during a very short period of ownership but I was apparently very lucky. A friend of mine had a similar car and had nothing but trouble with it. He spent more times in courtesy cars than in his own. Land Rover's reliability record is shocking but, as you say, the heart wants what the heart wants.

Good luck and I hope you get a good one
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 06:44 PM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

its interesting that there is really no Pro- LWB people. Im feeling a little better now that I can probably get away with the standard which was the original plan. Never even been in a LWB so it was just a thought based on maybe the size being a positive without any first hand experience.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 21 May 2018, 09:23 PM   #36
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned a modern RR HSE and it was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I did all the research and as you, always wanted one, so I bought it. The ride, creature comforts, information system are not up to par with other vehicles of a similar class from Lexus and Mercedes-Benz. Service is a nightmare as the parts are not as available as you would think and look at the dealer network. Get out and away from a major city and see who can service it if it breaks down. They are very difficult to deal with about warranty work and don't think about going outside the dealer network even if you break down and no dealers are around. I love the styling of the Range Rover but that is it. I now own a 2017 Lexus LX570. It is the best sport utility I have ever owned. No issues, great comfort, better to me than the RR. Better resale value. Dealer network is great and if push comes to shove it can be serviced at a Toyota dealership under warranty if a Lexus dealership is not available in a rural area. Do yourself a favor, research the RR, don't be blinded by the brand and go drive the other comparable vehicles from other manufactures. Hope this was not too strong but it is a major purchase and I wish I had been smart enough to ask and smart enough to listen. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 09:38 PM   #37
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Forget about leaving London! How will u get the newest and greatest Nautilus watches? Lol. Is it worth it to leave the Patek AD? LOL.
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 09:49 PM   #38
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
Forget about leaving London! How will u get the newest and greatest Nautilus watches? Lol. Is it worth it to leave the Patek AD? LOL.
im keeping my AD... now its plane trips and VAT returns
Old 21 May 2018, 10:29 PM   #39
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
im keeping my AD... now its plane trips and VAT returns
Good for u! Good luck with the move and transition! I can’t help with u cars, I live in manhattan so it’s Uber for me. Lol
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:54 PM   #40
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

My brothers are RR fans and have owned multiple models over the last 20 years
No significant issues.
I’ve driven them myself over that timeframe and they’re quite nice.

I’m the MB/BMW fan of the family.
2018 MB GLS450 really checks all the boxes for me.

That said, have fun with the search and enjoy your new RR when back in the States
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:28 PM   #41
fastmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Two months ago I received my 2018 Range Rover LWB Supercharged that I ordered in December 2017. I chose the LWB because my other SUV is a 2017 Mercedes Benz G63 and I have the new 2019 G63 coming shortly. The problem I have with the G wagons is the rear space, hence the RR LWB. But my wife insists on using G wagons as her daily.

I have 2 kids, and they much prefer the RR because of the space. I have had all the luxury SUVs, including the Bentley. My two favorite are always RR and the G-series.

I prefer LWB over standard size and it makes no difference in parking etc.

The updates on the 2018+ on the interior are finally bringing them on par with tech.

I have never had real issues with any of my RR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D21BADD4-DF5A-40F3-BC57-0878ADA46F6A.jpeg (173.6 KB, 247 views)
fastmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:40 PM   #42
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
So I need a bit of help. Im getting a RR and that part is settled, i have test driven on several occasions, but nothing since about a year ago. Ive been in the UK and without a car for 8 years and i would like to have it when i return to the US so timing is key. UK test drives are not helpful and i dont even know how to drive here anyway. Obviously im going to fly back at some point to settle this before the move but have a couple questions as i know there are a lot of knowledgable car people here. Trying to handle some of the preliminary stuff over the phone is proving to be difficult.

1. I already know im going to have to order it as im very particular on color/options/features... so when i order what is the approximate lead time? Im currently about 8 months from a return to the US. Anyone have a ballpark? Not sure i really trust the salespeople as they always want me to buy right now the few times i have brought that question up in person and more recently dont seem to want to discuss over the phone and especially so since the sales guy i had met in person last year is no longer there so im basically a cold caller to them.

2. The Long Wheel base model is now a contender but that is the only one i have never test driven. Anyone know of any pros/cons to the long wheel base version? Its attractive to me because of the kids and i do NOT want a SUV with 3 rows of seats so this seems like a good compromise

The engine would be the same with either model (as far as i can tell) so its not a factor. And its the only vehicle i am considering, so option 3 isnt an option.
We’ve had these models last few years....LR4, Discovery, RR sport, RR HSE, Evoque, and 3 weeks ago, purchased the Velar. We’ve had good luck with Land Rover, and have traveled with kids in everything except the Evoque. The Velar is outstanding, very car-like vs RR sport. I’d recommend any of these for traveling with kids, (except Evoque) without hesitating.
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:40 PM   #43
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmd View Post
Two months ago I received my 2018 Range Rover LWB Supercharged that I ordered in December 2017. I chose the LWB because my other SUV is a 2017 Mercedes Benz G63 and I have the new 2019 G63 coming shortly. The problem I have with the G wagons is the rear space, hence the RR LWB. But my wife insists on using G wagons as her daily.

I have 2 kids, and they much prefer the RR because of the space. I have had all the luxury SUVs, including the Bentley. My two favorite are always RR and the G-series.

The updates on the 2018+ on the interior are finally bringing them on or with tech.

That is an awesome pic. Im trying to get back to houston in the next month or two as i have got to drive the LWB first. But, your thoughts are exactly what was making me consider it in the first place with the kids in the back situation.

Do you notice it drives any differently with the stretched middle portion? Its not a huge difference size wise but would you notice if you had both versions in how they drive? with all the tech im not concerned about parking as if i cant do it with a RR i probably shouldn't be driving
Old 21 May 2018, 11:48 PM   #44
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The updates on the 2018+ on the interior are finally bringing them on par with tech.

Holy cow....

Your garage is epic!!!

Can we be friends....

Old 21 May 2018, 11:55 PM   #45
fastmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is an awesome pic. Im trying to get back to houston in the next month or two as i have got to drive the LWB first. But, your thoughts are exactly what was making me consider it in the first place with the kids in the back situation.

Do you notice it drives any differently with the stretched middle portion? Its not a huge difference size wise but would you notice if you had both versions in how they drive? with all the tech im not concerned about parking as if i cant do it with a RR i probably shouldn't be driving
Tyler,

I have had both versions. My dealer actually gave me 2017 RR SWB and LWB for a month so I could choose. I felt the LWB was a little more compliant/smooth. The space in the back was the reason I chose the LWB. My kids can throw their backpacks etc on the floor and not be crowded.

Parking is super easy with all the parking aids. The self park works well also.
Old 21 May 2018, 11:59 PM   #46
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

What’s that blue classic peaking out on the right hand side of your picture
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 12:00 AM   #47
fastmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Holy cow....

Your garage is epic!!!

Can we be friends....
You are in NJ and an AMG fan, you are welcome to stop by the garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 94046444-D63E-4846-AE4B-BF553AC89A0C.jpeg (193.9 KB, 240 views)
Old 22 May 2018, 12:06 AM   #48
fastmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
What’s that blue classic peaking out on the right hand side of your picture
My Chevelle SS 454. A car I will never sell, probably one of my favorites and I have owned all the exotics.
Old 22 May 2018, 12:21 AM   #49
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
My Chevelle SS 454. A car I will never sell, probably one of my favorites and I have owned all the exotics.
I LOVE the Chevelle big blocks ... Another picture or two would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 12:56 AM   #50
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Houston

Hi Tyler, I’m in Houston. I drive by a Range Rover dealer every day, the one just north of 10 by 610 and the Transit Center. That might be the only one in Houston, not including the woodlands or Sugarland, places called Houston but aren’t really.

If you think it would help I’d be glad to stop by and talk to a sales guy for you and see if I can get one to be more helpful over the phone. I’ve never purchased a RR but own a business and I know I have customers who have them. I can also a couple for a referral of a sales guy or dealer who might be helpful.

Let me know if you’d like me to do this, I can make it over there just about any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:10 AM   #51
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Since 1989 I have had 8 Land Rovers.
One a Disco, two Sports, one Classic and the rest FSRR.
My only advice is flip them before they are out of warranty.
LRs are only as good as the dealers service.
After my friends retired from Land Rover I went back to Jeep.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 02:21 AM   #52
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You’ve made my day. Can’t wait to check this all out.

I’ll PM you.

Let’s do a mini GTG. Dinner is on me.

Old 22 May 2018, 02:32 AM   #53
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
this is my wife's nightmare. A watch person being a car and watch person. So far its just the watches for me
Old 22 May 2018, 02:37 AM   #54
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Hi Tyler, I’m in Houston. I drive by a Range Rover dealer every day, the one just north of 10 by 610 and the Transit Center. That might be the only one in Houston, not including the woodlands or Sugarland, places called Houston but aren’t really.

If you think it would help I’d be glad to stop by and talk to a sales guy for you and see if I can get one to be more helpful over the phone. I’ve never purchased a RR but own a business and I know I have customers who have them. I can also a couple for a referral of a sales guy or dealer who might be helpful.

Let me know if you’d like me to do this, I can make it over there just about any time.

thats the one. i would appreciate it. Im a serious buyer and my sales guy (his name was carson) left last year so i have no contact there anymore and im not local yet.
Old 22 May 2018, 03:09 AM   #55
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
thats the one. i would appreciate it. Im a serious buyer and my sales guy (his name was carson) left last year so i have no contact there anymore and im not local yet.

I’ll try to get a sales manager’s attention and tell him your situation. Do you want to PM me your full name to tell him, or a sales guy, so they know who you are when you call? If you want to give me your contact info too I can pass it along, but if I were you I’d probably rather call them first.

I’ll be able to get there tomorrow or Wednesday. I usually drive by in the AM before they open, but I can drive by the dealership on my way home.

Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:16 AM   #56
dmash
"TRF" Member

^cool stuff, this forum is awesome!
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:26 AM   #57
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
I’ll try to get a sales manager’s attention and tell him your situation. Do you want to PM me your full name to tell him, or a sales guy, so they know who you are when you call? If you want to give me your contact info too I can pass it along, but if I were you I’d probably rather call them first.

I’ll be able to get there tomorrow or Wednesday. I usually drive by in the AM before they open, but I can drive by the dealership on my way home.

thats awesome. Ill PM you. Basically i have no issue calling myself if i know who i should be asking for.
Old 22 May 2018, 05:35 AM   #58
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
fastmd - awesome garage and cars. I can't compete but it's made me pop outside to take a photo anyway!

https://www.rolexforums.com/attachme...1&d=1526931266
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4223.JPG (238.2 KB, 238 views)
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:01 AM   #59
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
That defender is lit
Old 22 May 2018, 06:05 AM   #60
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post