The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 April 2018, 05:04 AM   #31
rolstaff
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
most collectors don’t need case work. Recutting is just a great way to save a somewhat destroyed case. I would only do it if the case was poorly polished in the past. Most collectors i know would also steer clear of a watch in a recut case. The same as with a poorly polished case.
word !
rolstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 05:16 AM   #32
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I read an article years ago about watchmaking schools. One topic I found interesting was that watch companies did not have much trouble finding qualified technicians to service their watches. What they did have trouble finding were people who were good at case refinishing. Seems that it is much more art than science, and the skills required to repair a watch do not necessarily translate into refinishing it.

Beau at LAWW is a true artist and IMO, easily worth the price when it comes to my vintage Rolex watches. I just took my 1655 to Giovanni at the former Rolex authorized repair center (now independent, but still specializing in Rolex) to get it serviced. But if I had needed any polishing done on it, my Exp II would certainly have gone down to LA.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 05:19 AM   #33
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowling1680 View Post

Random yelper without a clue

------
Instagram: @mattedialdoc
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 06:00 AM   #34
wineguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
This thread caught my eye. What's the going rate of a case re-cut for a sport model at LAWW?
wineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 07:28 AM   #35
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Everybody has to call everything like You see it....You the new King?
Thanks for the kind words and thought, but, I, like you, do not have to agree with everyone either.

It is called case refinishing and it has been such for decades and decades.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 08:44 AM   #36
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineguy View Post
This thread caught my eye. What's the going rate of a case re-cut for a sport model at LAWW?

$500 USD

------
Old 15 April 2018, 10:29 PM   #37
ArthurB
Banned

Watch: the Skies
For casework, hands and dial work they are the best in the world. I send my watches elsewhere for service. They are too slow in that department.
ArthurB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 11:08 PM   #38
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He gave a 1/5 star rating even though he didn't use their services and simply disliked the price he was quoted. Talk about being clueless.

Rolex will probably tell him he needs to get his watch serviced as well so the cost will go up to 6-700 USD.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 11:26 PM   #39
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:

You really seem to be framing a conversation against LAWW. Sure seems odd that someone with 10 posts over 2 years has 2 of 10 posts knocking LAWW.
Old 16 April 2018, 05:12 AM   #40
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
Hi guys! This is prolly my first post in a while. Ive been very busy with restarting my career, I left the scene to get certified by Rolex’s equivalent of CW21. I spent 2 years in school, and then some more time in Dallas RSC as I learned to do things the Rolex way. Once I was released into the wild I had to think long and hard about where I wanted to land. So now I split my time between an AD and LAWW. Reading this thread I suddenly felt the need to show my face and explain a couple of things. Movement service has been the hardest part for them because they will not hire anyone unless they have skills, certification, and experience with vintage. I just started working with them about 6 months ago and my mission is to Educate, implement Rolex standards, and service a few watches a week.Rolex trained and certified watchmakers will be joining the team later this year, and this will speed things up. So in the grand scheme of things LAWW only cares about doing things the Rolex way. Now with all that said... as consumers of vintage Rolex, it is your right and responsibility to do your homework. You can always save money, but always consider the risks. Yes, LAWW costs more, but results speak for themselves. I think what drew me to them was their desire to do things the Rolex way, and that is the bottomline. Okay other than that, I just wanted to say hello. Its good to be back in the field!
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 07:52 AM   #41
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Hi guys! This is prolly my first post in a while. Ive been very busy with restarting my career, I left the scene to get certified by Rolex’s equivalent of CW21. I spent 2 years in school, and then some more time in Dallas RSC as I learned to do things the Rolex way. Once I was released into the wild I had to think long and hard about where I wanted to land. So now I split my time between an AD and LAWW. Reading this thread I suddenly felt the need to show my face and explain a couple of things. Movement service has been the hardest part for them because they will not hire anyone unless they have skills, certification, and experience with vintage. I just started working with them about 6 months ago and my mission is to Educate, implement Rolex standards, and service a few watches a week.Rolex trained and certified watchmakers will be joining the team later this year, and this will speed things up. So in the grand scheme of things LAWW only cares about doing things the Rolex way. Now with all that said... as consumers of vintage Rolex, it is your right and responsibility to do your homework. You can always save money, but always consider the risks. Yes, LAWW costs more, but results speak for themselves. I think what drew me to them was their desire to do things the Rolex way, and that is the bottomline. Okay other than that, I just wanted to say hello. Its good to be back in the field!

Dalton is a consummate professional and master watchmaker. Folks that have been around the forum for a while know and respect him immensely. So glad to have him associated with a top notch outfit like LAWW.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 April 2018, 10:10 AM   #42
rollyp
"TRF" Member

Watch: where your hand is
I've used LAWW for vintage pieces and their work is amazing -- worth every penny. They will make sure you are 100% satisfied.

You can send your vintage watch elsewhere to save some money initially, but you may end up spending much more later if you are unhappy with the results. The premium you pay for with LAWW is the 'No Headache' premium .
rollyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 11:12 PM   #43
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
I recently had two watches at LAWW, a beat-up old 5513 Jacek sold me years ago, and an awful dog of a 1013 I got from a dealer in Quebec a while back, both needed work. As soon as I can post pics I will do so, but any detractors will be dismayed...the work was perfect, and I am delighted. I would not hesitate to recommend them, from my personal experience. Communication was clear and frequent, too.

Expensive, yes. But five stars. You get what you pay for.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 03:07 PM   #44
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedialdoc View Post
Dalton is a consummate professional and master watchmaker. Folks that have been around the forum for a while know and respect him immensely. So glad to have him associated with a top notch outfit like LAWW.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the kind words Doc!
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 01:53 AM   #45
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Great to hear you are back on the scene Dalton and that you have completed your training. Congratulations !
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 04:18 PM   #46
Glyph
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red Sub
IMHO seriously consider the implications of having a case recut when it comes to the future value and collectibility of your watch. There is something to be said for a vintage watch that has a well earned honest patina.

Cheers
Glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 07:23 AM   #47
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyph View Post
IMHO seriously consider the implications of having a case recut when it comes to the future value and collectibility of your watch. There is something to be said for a vintage watch that has a well earned honest patina.

Cheers
well if an "honest" patina...means rolly polly lugs with no chamfers...and flaired springbar holes...I'm not gonna be able to hang. An UNPOLISHED case...NEVER polished or polished properly with battle scars okay...but some shit show of 50-60 years...deserves a better treatment. Watches that cost 125.00 USD when new and that were serviced got some polishing...sometimes they got lucky and got proper polishing...if they were polished by someone with no knowledge or care at the time for maintaining symmetry and original lines...or even by the unsuspecting owner just trying to shine up his watch...and now they look like those watches do...I'm not into them at all. If it can be recut properly as Rolex would have done in the past, or better...that I can get behind. If you are saying that you only will accept a watch that has never been polished EVER...and has never had a proper recut...you are cutting out 98% of the watches you might come across and you better have DEEP pockets...for the rest of us...we'll continue to enjoy somewhat our "road fill." It's very nice that the playing field has been raised...great for the multimillionaire, who thinks nothing of dropping 500k + ever few months on a watch. It's impractical.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 07:28 AM   #48
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

As for Dalton, I have nothing but great things to say about this person. He has helped me immensely as a watchmaker and I was amazed to learn when he left the market for watchmaking school that someone as respected and talented as he was, had come up like myself through similar channels. It gave me an added confidence. He is quite a bit younger than I am and has bigger life goals in watchmaking. I was very impressed that he took 2 years of his life off, even at his age (he's not in his 20's btw :-) ) to go and get the legitimacy that a formal education could afford him, even though he had properly and successfully overhauled probably 1000's of Rolex and other watches in his tenure. He's a top notch guy and someone I can happily call my friend even though I have never met him in person.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 09:05 AM   #49
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
As for Dalton, I have nothing but great things to say about this person. He has helped me immensely as a watchmaker and I was amazed to learn when he left the market for watchmaking school that someone as respected and talented as he was, had come up like myself through similar channels. It gave me an added confidence. He is quite a bit younger than I am and has bigger life goals in watchmaking. I was very impressed that he took 2 years of his life off, even at his age (he's not in his 20's btw :-) ) to go and get the legitimacy that a formal education could afford him, even though he had properly and successfully overhauled probably 1000's of Rolex and other watches in his tenure. He's a top notch guy and someone I can happily call my friend even though I have never met him in person.
Dalton is a great source. I met him and had dinner with him while he was in training here in Dallas at the RSC. He's a great resource for others to search out.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 10:09 AM   #50
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
someone who I do not wish to know or befriend with
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 01:12 PM   #51
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
someone who I do not wish to know or befriend with

I’m confused. Is that your Yelp review?

------
Old 1 August 2018, 01:43 PM   #52
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedialdoc View Post
I’m confused. Is that your Yelp review?

------
huh?
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 04:18 PM   #53
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Fortunately, for me, the first person to work on my vintage watch was Dalton. It was a matte dial, GMT 16750 that had problems. Then he worked on my matte dial Seadweller 16660.

Then my buddy had a matte dial GMT 1675 that did not work. I told him to take it to Dalton. I went with him to pick it up, to see it, and to see Dalton.

I had told my buddy I wanted to buy it before he took it to Dalton. On the way home, he kept looking at it. He said this is too nice, I will screw it up! He asked me if I still wanted to buy it, I said yes. Three years later, it loses about a second a day when I wear it, everyday.

I had two of my grandfathers pocket watches. Neither, worked. I took them to Dalton and he told me the balance wheel pin was broken on both of them. He made the parts.

I picked up a matte dial Submariner 5512 and took it to him for a service. He handled it, diddled with it, and handed it back telling me it did not need a service, yet.

I do not care where Dalton works, he will be the one repairing my watch!