The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 April 2018, 04:52 AM   #1
Tripper17
"TRF" Member

Tudor Submariner 7928 Help

Hello all,
I am new to this forum and was referred by a vintage collector to join and ask for help. My dad just passed down his Tudor Submariner ref 7928 to me, which was passed down to him from my grandfather. Can anyone in the Los Angeles area refer me to a Rolex/Tudor repair shop that I can get maintenance on this watch? I also want to change the crystal due to an abundance of scratches. And I want to add the pearl on the 12 o clock position on the bezel. Besides that and a basic cleaning, I want to keep everything original and in the condition it is in now. I would also like to know where I could get an original band for a decent price. Or another reputable brand band I could get that is steel. For everyday use I’m just gonna use a NATO strap.

Last thing, can anyone tell me what the “34” means right next to the “oysterprince”? So mine says exactly “oysterprince 34” under the flower and Tudor. I haven’t been able to find anything regarding what the 34 means or any pictures of any other Submariner with the 34 on it. I measure the watch and it’s 40mm so it doesn’t mean the size. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3ED6A5FE-FA12-48E9-88E7-31957F7E2E1D.jpeg (261.1 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpeg 18CB6D73-D0D3-4161-9AE8-37E26A5DFE2A.jpeg (241.0 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpeg DA3E4B5E-E543-4D80-989F-B0CA12270C38.jpeg (262.1 KB, 210 views)
Tripper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 08:36 AM   #2
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Other experts will chime in, the case looks okay but the dial appears to be refinished and sadly most of the value in vintage Tudor / Rolex is in the dial.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 09:08 AM   #3
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately the dial is either a fake, or totally refinished. I assume the former, but either way it would have lost most its value.
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 04:32 PM   #4
Tripper17
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your input. That’s unfortunate to hear if the dial isn’t real or original. Regardless, I wasn’t planning on selling it since it’s a family watch. I just was wondering if anyone could give me insight on what that 34 meant. Once again thank you. If anyone else has seen this specific dial, please let me know what it means lol. Thank you again
Old 21 April 2018, 06:52 PM   #5
zwjk
"TRF" Member

First things first, do NOT take it to the Rolex Service Centre - they will ruin your watch.

I'm downunder but I have only heard of good things about LA Watchworks and Rik Dietel.
zwjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 06:58 PM   #6
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper17 View Post
Thank you for your input. That’s unfortunate to hear if the dial isn’t real or original. Regardless, I wasn’t planning on selling it since it’s a family watch. I just was wondering if anyone could give me insight on what that 34 meant. Once again thank you. If anyone else has seen this specific dial, please let me know what it means lol. Thank you again
Never seen 34 ,
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 07:09 PM   #7
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Models with 34 on the dial are to indicate it is 34mm as you thought. The redial was not done with the correct text. Worth finding an original used dial to replace this one with.
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 07:49 PM   #8
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.L.E.X View Post
Models with 34 on the dial are to indicate it is 34mm as you thought. The redial was not done with the correct text. Worth finding an original used dial to replace this one with.
Thanks , learned something today , didn’t know there was a 34mm 7928

Just reread the op, says it’s 40mm
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 10:36 PM   #9
Tripper17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Awesome, thank you for the insight and suggestion!
Old 21 April 2018, 10:37 PM   #10
Tripper17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwjk View Post
First things first, do NOT take it to the Rolex Service Centre - they will ruin your watch.

I'm downunder but I have only heard of good things about LA Watchworks and Rik Dietel.
Yeah I heard the same thing. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into them
Old 21 April 2018, 10:48 PM   #11
Vlad
"TRF" Member

+1

What is the serial # of the watch? that will indicate if you need a track dial (probably not, as this is not a PCG), gilt dial, or a matte dial. You can also search for a service dial.

Problem with your dial is that it's so obviously redone that it cannot be taken seriously. adding 34mm indicator on a 40mm case is silly.

However, another option is to send your dial (or the whole watch) to Michael Young, and have him redo your dial similar to the service dial w/ "T SWISS T" @ 6 o'clock. Don't try to go for original gilt - will not come out right. He can also match the lume on the dial to your hands. He can probably also provide a matching pearl.

And if your bracelet needs to be tightened, and it probably does, he can do that too.

I would not replace the crystal - especially if it's original. Plastic crystals can be buffed out to almost perfect - and it takes about 20 seconds.

Quote:
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 10:56 PM   #12
Tripper17
"TRF" Member

Not too sure what the serial number is right now. I’m gonna get maintenance on it maybe today so I’ll find that out when they open the back. The 7928 is visible where the band goes, but on the opposite side where the serial would be, it’s very faint and hard to see some numbers. I’m just curious when this could have been redialed. My dad got this watch from my grandfather in 1966. Were they already redialing these back then? Because other than that, he hasn’t had any work done to it and it’s been sitting in a lock box for atleast 40 years.
Old 22 April 2018, 10:59 AM   #13
Vlad
"TRF" Member

If the redial was done in the 60s, then 1) value of the watch has been decimated (ok, no t decimated, but totally destroyed); 2) the lume on the hands needs to be carefully reviewed; 3) .... seriously, if you gonna keep it - keep is as is, and next time a read dial come up ($3K or more as of today) - grab it. If you're trying to sell it - post it, if the price if right, some one will buy it
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 11:08 AM   #14
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
guys....what is 34mm here? the case is not 34mm and neither is the dial....

I'm not an expert in 7928 but lets make sure if we are sharing information, its the correct information - happy to stand corrected of course.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 11:25 AM   #15
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
guys....what is 34mm here? the case is not 34mm and neither is the dial....

I'm not an expert in 7928 but lets make sure if we are sharing information, its the correct information - happy to stand corrected of course.
The Tudor Oyster Prince 34 is a genuine model which has a 34mm case. Whoever redid the dial added the text to this watch, despite it being applicable to a different model.
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 10:07 PM   #16
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Nice watch with a bad dial. Still fun to wear and worth a lot of money. The 34 is found on smaller datejust type models. Kinda funny it was added by the refinisher
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote