The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 September 2023, 01:41 AM   #1
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
Did a quick photoshoot...

Ok, so the pics probably suck, but this is our collection so far. I thought it was kind of neat. My wife really isn't into Rolexes, but I have gotten her two.

Any tips to make my pics better?

Thoughts?

PDG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230905_183122_resized.jpg (166.9 KB, 1138 views)
File Type: jpg 20230905_183127_resized.jpg (174.6 KB, 1139 views)
File Type: jpg 20230905_183135_resized.jpg (174.2 KB, 1134 views)
File Type: jpg 20230905_183152(0)_resized.jpg (191.7 KB, 1133 views)
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 02:43 AM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you use TapaTalk then your photos don’t have to be resized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 02:44 AM   #3
j.fletcher
"TRF" Member

Nice pieces!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
j.fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 03:06 AM   #4
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

I would like a tip to make the photos that good - great collection by the way ! I have tried and hate the Tapatalk layout and adverts and would like some instructions on how to get a photo from your phone onto the forum - currently it’s a combination of cropping and emailing it to myself on reduced quality - there must be a better way ??
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 03:11 AM   #5
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
camera!
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 03:15 AM   #6
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Yes, I have a suggestion: Send me all the Rolexes your wife doesn’t want, that will de-clutter the picture and make it much better.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 03:22 AM   #7
Mario3252
Banned

Watch: GMT
Great Collection!!!
Mario3252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 03:24 AM   #8
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
great collection there, and pics pretty good as well
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 04:48 AM   #9
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

This was kind of an experiment. This was just my cell phone camera, but I have seen a number of people post pics of their collection and I thought they looked great, so I wanted to try my hand at it.

It was the first group shot of those I have put together - so experimental to see how the pics came out and it was fun to do. I want to try again. I may try my DSLR next time to see if I get a better field of depth - but again, I am only an amateur - not a pro by any stretch. But I like learning about it.

PDG
Old 7 September 2023, 05:01 AM   #10
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Yes, I have a suggestion: Send me all the Rolexes your wife doesn’t want, that will de-clutter the picture and make it much better.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 05:37 AM   #11
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post

She isn't a fan of the 69173. It has a "barked" bracelet and case and a black onyx dial. I thought it was kind of cool and different, but apparently that was the wrong answer.

I might be able to let the DJ26 (69173) go for the right price though. - Not turning this into an ad, just saying. She loves the DJ31 - described it as the most beautiful Rolex she had ever seen (I tend to send her a lot of pics). I got the call from the AD about it and then was informed it wasn't available anymore, but I made the trip to the AD (it's a distance away from me). While we were standing there, the watch became available and we snapped it up. It's actually the only watch I have bought from an AD. It's a 278344RBR, but it's a mint green dial with the "galaxy" bezel is what they called it.

PDG
Old 7 September 2023, 05:40 AM   #12
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post
I would like a tip to make the photos that good - great collection by the way ! I have tried and hate the Tapatalk layout and adverts and would like some instructions on how to get a photo from your phone onto the forum - currently it’s a combination of cropping and emailing it to myself on reduced quality - there must be a better way ??
I have an app on my Iphone called Image Size. Take the picture with your phone, downsize it to the allowed 200kb and post. Quality stays pretty good.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 07:08 AM   #13
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Suggestion for taking better photos. Look at lots of photos and make note of the ones you really like. Now dissect the photo details. How many items, what is the background, lighting. I have seen a few IG posts that show the making of a photo beginning to end. It was really fun to watch. YT probably has make vids on product photography.

Your photo, the angle of camera to watches was too much, too much/busy background and watches just thrown down. Yellow lighting does not look natural. When it is done well, it looks like someone just snapped a photo randomly but likely they spent a bit of time on layout. Lighting is a whole rabbit hole. Best to you!
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 07:10 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Nice collection
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 07:17 AM   #15
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
Suggestion for taking better photos. Look at lots of photos and make note of the ones you really like. Now dissect the photo details. How many items, what is the background, lighting. I have seen a few IG posts that show the making of a photo beginning to end. It was really fun to watch. YT probably has make vids on product photography.

Your photo, the angle of camera to watches was too much, too much/busy background and watches just thrown down. Yellow lighting does not look natural. When it is done well, it looks like someone just snapped a photo randomly but likely they spent a bit of time on layout. Lighting is a whole rabbit hole. Best to you!

Thank you!

You are right - I didn't spend a lot of time on the layout. I couldn't decide which layout I liked, but then I had the oven going off for supper and I kind of put everything away and had to go do that, so I didn't feel like it was a great effort - at least not what know I could have done. I have a cheap lighting rig, but didn't bring it in for this shoot - as I said, I didn't even use a good camera. Interesting to note on the yellow lighting - that's just what was in the room. I am going to have to look at some of the more interesting pics I have seen again.

PDG
Old 7 September 2023, 07:19 AM   #16
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Nice collection
I know you don't know me - we may have had a few interactions on here, but I have seen you around here for a long time, so this comment coming from you means something to me - thank you.

PDG
Old 7 September 2023, 08:31 AM   #17
rfs
"TRF" Member

Nice
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 09:03 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari308 View Post
I know you don't know me - we may have had a few interactions on here, but I have seen you around here for a long time, so this comment coming from you means something to me - thank you.

PDG
glad to know you my friend!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 10:15 AM   #19
twinfo
Banned

Watch: DateJust 1126300
Nice watches.
twinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 11:17 AM   #20
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I have an app on my Iphone called Image Size. Take the picture with your phone, downsize it to the allowed 200kb and post. Quality stays pretty good.
Thank you that sounds exactly what I need, I’ll get the app and give it a try. 👍👍
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 12:38 PM   #21
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Old 7 September 2023, 05:36 PM   #22
Rolex2008
Banned

Watch: Various
Nice collection
Rolex2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 07:19 PM   #23
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Looking good!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 09:37 PM   #24
leica_i_see_it
2024 Pledge Member

PDG - love seeing this post. As a photo nerd, always awesome to see watch people getting excited about how to best capture the hobby!

Congrats on a great collection and sweet capture of the group together.

As someone said… lighting is a rabbit hole! I can think of two ideas that won’t add any equipment / chaos for now…

1) lighting does look a bit yellow, you can very gently tone that down on the normal photos app of whatever cell phone you use. The two settings that I think help compensate yellowness from indoor lighting are: warmth and saturation. Just dial them left a tiny bit and it may make the image closer to what you were seeing!

2) to stay natural, try snapping these by a window with nice light. When you get the right angle and a bit of luck, nature does incredibly flattering work!

Composition-wise, the smaller watches being farther back creates a stronger size divergence between them. I’d try with them up front.

Lastly… I give you kudos for trying to get feedback on what I think is the HARDEST watch photography…. Collections. I struggle a lot to capture multiple watches together. Each of these pieces has their own value and story. You have all these great books and magazines. A “portrait” of each piece, closer, using the props as background will be easier in my opinion and I think you’ll get some fantastic results.

Nice work and keep at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leica_i_see_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 09:39 PM   #25
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like your watches. I have no advise on the pictures. I struggle myself with them.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2023, 12:01 AM   #26
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

I sincerely appreciate all of the positive and constructive feedback.

I would love to get better at photography - and watch collecting - although I am just about at the point where I have everything I REALLY want to have. Would love to get the new Pepsi and maybe a vintage Day-Date - just to cap off what I would think of has a fairly complete collection of the Rolexes I want.

Maybe next time I will pull out the light ring, try to set the smaller watches toward the front and build the shot like that. This was a first haphazard attempt that I did in less than five minutes. I kinda just wanted to have a shot of them all together as I had not done that before.

In the past I use my SLR and later my DSLR and have gotten some great pics with those. I just need to be patient and learn - which is a key word for me.

Again, I am ALWAYS welcoming feedback on any pics I take. I am always glad to make new friends as well! There aren't too many other people around me who are into watches and such - so this is my where I get my watch fix - aside from watching Nico Leonard, Britt Pierce, and Jenni Elle on YT. I like Theo and Harris and Adrian Barker on there as well.

PDG
Old 8 September 2023, 09:00 AM   #27
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118238
nice collection and pics!
Hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2023, 01:33 PM   #28
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Great looking collection
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2023, 11:48 PM   #29
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I may try again this weekend with a better light setup and take a bit more time with the placement of the watches.

I still have hopes of adding maybe 3 more watches total. I am working on a deal for another 1601 - Champagne dial. I was also thinking of adding a vintage Day-Date and maybe at some point a modern Pepsi GMT, although now that I have this 16710 maybe a CHNR would be nice and something a touch different.

PDG
Old 9 September 2023, 10:17 AM   #30
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Those photos don't suck. Nice watches.