The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 14 April 2020, 06:37 PM   #31
boring_sandwich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie88888 View Post
I would always send a Rolex off to the RSC. Yes it’s expensive but the watch comes back like new and has the added benefit of 2 years warranty.

Also, if you ever have a watch with no paperwork it is a good way of getting a bit of added provenance with the watch for potential future resale as you will receive a service card with serial number on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting!
boring_sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 08:14 AM   #32
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie88888 View Post
I would always send a Rolex off to the RSC. Yes it’s expensive but the watch comes back like new and has the added benefit of 2 years warranty.
Also, if you ever have a watch with no paperwork it is a good way of getting a bit of added provenance with the watch for potential future resale as you will receive a service card with serial number on.
Totally agree, and I did exactly this about 2 years ago thru TRF. Well worth the price.
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 09:03 AM   #33
Themarinesurveyor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 (-;
Rolex service

Thank you for your sage advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdogitalia View Post
I have been around the Rolex business of watches and many repairs for over 30 years and I can tell you for 100% certain the price of $750 for an overhaul is correct. I am also a wanna be watchmaker with some level of experience working on these watches for at least 3 decades.

In the last 2 months I have had 3 GMTs serviced by the Rolex service centers in both NYC and Dallas. These watches needed extreme help and many many parts replaced so it was more cost effective to let Rolex do it.

Based on experience if it was my watch I would ABSOLUTELY send it to the Rolex service center before I would ever give it to a Rolex store , and I don't care if their watchmaker uses real parts and is trained by Rolex. And here is why.

1. At the service center you have many eyes on the watch and it is going through many more checks and final inspection and approval by more than just one watchmaker. They are meticulous as hell .

2. The refinishing of the watch is done by a separate department by people who do it all day long and they are in my opinion better at it than a local watchmaker for whom this may not be his strong point and is doing this as a side job to get the watch finished.

3. You are going to have a receipt for the service center which enhances the value of the watch a lot more than a receipt from an AD . You will get the watch back in a felt Rolex sleeve with a padded green Rolex logo painted foam protector box, really a nice touch.

4. When running it thru the service centers as a general rule you get a lot of free parts from them included in the service fee that you may not get from the store. Because a lot of the basic mechanical parts cost them very little , such as reversing wheels etc, they do not nit pick and just replace them at no charge. They will also replace parts with upgraded parts if need be at no charge. This is their policy and unless its major part like a main plate they are going to do it for free.

I know all this because I currently know people who have worked for the Rolex service centers as watchmakers and my current local watchmaker is Rolex trained and certified and recently in the last 2 years attended and finished all of their advanced courses. The watchmakers teaching these courses were all Rolex master watchmakers so naturally the what goes on at the service centers was discussed a length.

The other important thing of note I would advise is to send the watch to the Dallas service center as opposed to NYC. I recently sent 2 GMTS to NYC and was not happy with both the rudeness of the customer service people on the phone , and with the outcome of the service on one of the watches. I paid for a brand new bracelet and they gave me a bracelet that had links removed and put back in with the grooves in the screw heads all butchered and chewed up by someone who didn't know how to use a screwdriver. I had to send it back to them,

I then sent the 3rd watch to Dallas and there was a night and day difference.
They are much nicer to deal with, they finished the watch 1 week faster than NYC and the watch of course came back flawless.
I have collector friends that all swear by Dallas over NYC and I am sold on Dallas. I have also read and heard about a lot of bad feedback on NYC.

If you follow Rolexes detailed instructions you can ship it fedex for about $45 fully insured as opposed to USPS registered mail where it can take 10 days to arrive.
You can print the service form on line right off the Rolex website with all the instructions.

Good luck
Themarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 10:28 AM   #34
RonMel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN & 16610
Did they give you the old parts? I have seen instances where a watch LOST value because the bezel/crystal or the like was swapped to a "newer version" at a local repair facility and the parts never returned. There one was a time when Rolex svc center gave you the parts back, no longer. ENJOY the watch

For those dissing the NYC service center - FYI they now send all the watched to Pennsylvania - they no longer do the work in the ROLEX building (or that's what I was told when I brought my Sub in a few years ago) they still have techs for simple work but overhauls go to PA
RonMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 11:09 PM   #35
gyasih
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMel View Post
Did they give you the old parts? I have seen instances where a watch LOST value because the bezel/crystal or the like was swapped to a "newer version" at a local repair facility and the parts never returned. There one was a time when Rolex svc center gave you the parts back, no longer. ENJOY the watch

For those dissing the NYC service center - FYI they now send all the watched to Pennsylvania - they no longer do the work in the ROLEX building (or that's what I was told when I brought my Sub in a few years ago) they still have techs for simple work but overhauls go to PA
Anyone have any experience with the watches being shipped to PA?

Great thread, overall.
gyasih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 01:29 AM   #36
HoustonRider
"TRF" Member

Bump.

Haven't been on in a while, I noticed last night my second hand wasn't moving on my GMTIIC. I tried winding it up a bit, flat overnight, etc etc but looks like it will need service.

Are quotes still coming in at this prices in Aug 2020? Im in Houston so the Dallas RSC will prolly be my choice.
M Platinum Yachtmaster
HoustonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 03:59 AM   #37
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Price sounds about right and hopefully once done will give you years of pleasure on the wrist
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote