The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 April 2020, 09:31 AM   #1
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Value of Grand Seiko

My first and only GS, SBGE009, is possibly my favorite watch.
I love it's story and flawless sweep movement. Only problem is that it's a 39mm and looks tiny on my wrist.

So I thought maybe I should post this for sale since the watch box is swelling up. But sure enough, seems like this is worth less than what I paid for it. And that's the only watch I can say that about.

How can such an awesome engineering timepiece be depreciating ? Funny question on the Rolex forum I know
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 10:00 AM   #2
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Nearly every watch brand loses value the moment it leaves the AD... why should GS be any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 10:05 AM   #3
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

erm, doesn't exactly sound like the case for most Rollies at the moment. A lot of s/s sport watches these days actually appreciate instantly.
In fact, I believe it's the only watch out of 20 I own that has this scenario
Old 7 April 2020, 10:25 AM   #4
Jostack
"TRF" Member

If you only have 1 watch out of a bursting watch box that did not appreciate, you are way ahead of the game. Consider yourself very lucky.
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 10:39 AM   #5
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
If you only have 1 watch out of a bursting watch box that did not appreciate, you are way ahead of the game. Consider yourself very lucky.
agree fully. some wisdom to it but lucky for sure.
i got out of a few other money pit hobbies some years back and glad i found watches
Old 7 April 2020, 11:38 AM   #6
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
erm, doesn't exactly sound like the case for most Rollies at the moment. A lot of s/s sport watches these days actually appreciate instantly.
In fact, I believe it's the only watch out of 20 I own that has this scenario
I'd say that's a unique case for Rolex and maybe Patek steel watches, but if you think Seiko (or most many other brand) is going to appreciate in value, I think you are misguided, and I don't mean that as an offense to you.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 11:45 AM   #7
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

none taken, fair enough.
i've probably bought well i guess then.
Old 8 April 2020, 08:05 AM   #8
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I’ve lost a quite a bit of money in this hobby. But I’ve had so much fun collecting and chasing the next purchase it’s inconsequential. This hobby isn’t about making money. The SS Rolex market is an anomaly, and one that is correcting itself rather quickly.

My advice: sell the watch to a new owner who enjoys it and take a little lose and put those funds into another piece or an index fund
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 09:31 AM   #9
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

great point, will follow that advice
Old 8 April 2020, 02:50 PM   #10
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

The issues with Grand Seiko that cause depreciation are:

1) Branding. It is very difficult, no matter how nice of a watch they make, to overcome the marketing of low end Seikos that are are showcase fodder in Macy's, Zales, Kohls...etc. Enthusiasts can understand the differences, but the overall market? Very difficult = less desirability and subsequent demand .

2) Too many models. GS has gained a bit of traction among a select group of enthusiasts, so in order to "capitalize" on this, GS thinks it's time to make MORE references and raise the pricing!! Huge mistake. People want less options and more value, not more and MORE..
Also, the references are too similar in appearance and are predominately a dressier design ethos, which is not the beach to boardroom versatility Rolex SS Sports watches throughly enjoy.

3) Too expensive. The WIS might think they are a great value, but the general market doesn't see past the Seiko logo, so they don't sell well on the secondary market at the dealer level, so dealers pay less to get them and have to sell them cheaply to move them quickly.

4) The value retention spiral. When people see the high GS retail and compare it to a considerably lower pre owned price, they don't want it because the loss of value is a turn off. Rolex is the opposite of this.

So, if you want a new GS, buy it preowned. They are not for the squeamish regarding value retention.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 09:44 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Grand Seiko makes a great watch and has very interesting case work and dials. With that said they also have a lot of models on the market and the devil is in the details. SE/LE models once out of production and sold out at AD's will see a significant bump in price from msrp but standard models, none. It takes a significant discount at point of sale to get me to buy a new Grand Seiko/Seiko. The adage, buy right, is so true with these watches. If you are ready to move the watch then you will find a market for it but not where you think the price will be. OK, live and learn, sell, move on to the next watch and enjoy. That is the best I can do.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 11:32 PM   #12
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Would be hard to name 20 watches going above retail. This also seems to be quickly changing day by day
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 04:31 AM   #13
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My GS is priceless to me. Just pick the watch you love and the rest will take care of itself.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 04:44 AM   #14
SN13
"TRF" Member

I try to buy all my watches used to absorb the depreciation.

That being said, I did buy my SBGA387 at just below retail because I fell in love with the platinum blue frost dial.

Buy what you love and don't worry about the "investment"

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 05:56 AM   #15
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post

That being said, I did buy my SBGA387 at just below retail because I fell in love with the platinum blue frost dial.

One of the best ones they've made.

Yeah Grand Seiko isn't something you buy thinking there's appreciation (although it has that potential if they play their marketing cards right with the limited production and quality of watches they come out with). I do think it was too soon and super bad luck from COVID they decided to jump up in market this year with the pricing across their lines......we shall see as time unfolds.

To me bottom line, they are still the most watch you can buy for the money.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 06:30 AM   #16
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
One of the best ones they've made.

Yeah Grand Seiko isn't something you buy thinking there's appreciation (although it has that potential if they play their marketing cards right with the limited production and quality of watches they come out with). I do think it was too soon and super bad luck from COVID they decided to jump up in market this year with the pricing across their lines......we shall see as time unfolds.

To me bottom line, they are still the most watch you can buy for the money.
That’s it right there.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 08:07 AM   #17
jason042779
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 18038
Put it up for sale! Someone here will buy it lol
jason042779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 09:38 AM   #18
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

the frosted blue is amaaaaazing.
i actually do love my SBGE009, i just wasn't as familiar with my own taste at the time and now feel like it's too small.
i do love the brand. will want another to replace mine.
thanks for replies
Old 9 April 2020, 10:34 AM   #19
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
My first and only GS, SBGE009, is possibly my favorite watch.
I love it's story and flawless sweep movement. Only problem is that it's a 39mm and looks tiny on my wrist.

So I thought maybe I should post this for sale since the watch box is swelling up. But sure enough, seems like this is worth less than what I paid for it. And that's the only watch I can say that about.

How can such an awesome engineering timepiece be depreciating ? Funny question on the Rolex forum I know
If it's possibly your favourite watch and only 1mm smaller than the average Rolex sports watch, why not keep it? It can't look that much smaller than the others.
Old 9 April 2020, 12:24 PM   #20
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

true enough, but I have even stopped wearing rolex a bit too honestly. have my eye on a skydweller but that will be a while.
maybe my perspective has just changed a bit, but i now feel more comfortable with a 47mm panerai than a 40mm rollie on.
i seem to remember a time when i wore 33mm vintage pieces. but as of a few years ago, trying them on made me feel like i was wearing a childs watch. i've sold most of my vintage stuff since.
and i kept a 39mm Omega for a while before selling, even though i didn't see myself wearing it any longer. the GS still has a spot in my box for now.
damn this hobby lol
Old 9 April 2020, 09:37 PM   #21
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

Those macros are stunning. Nice work
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 04:18 AM   #22
ADIGA
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great shots. Nothing.... Literally nothing will match the quality for it's price point not even if you double it for the dial details. Enjoy it in good health.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
ADIGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 05:05 AM   #23
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I have had a fair few Rolex watches and lots of other makes, never once have I sold a watch for more than I bought it for, not that I wouldn't, given the chance, none have kept or increased in value. I buy watches because I liked them. Because I know they wont make me any coin when I move them on, it doesn't worry me. If a watch was my favourite, 1mm wouldn't bother me.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote