The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 April 2020, 12:50 AM   #361
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappuy1750 View Post
My completely unsolicited suggestion: Starbucks Verona is a great dark roast option.
Yes. Also a big fan.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 01:10 AM   #362
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I like really strong bold tasting dark roast coffee.
Don't get me wrong, I like a good bold coffee too.

When I started out, I bought my first grinder, one of those electric blade grinders, and bought my beans at Costco dark roast in those giant 2.5 lbs bags... and that was pretty good, but once I got a little more picky and bought a burr grinder (much like yours if not the same one) and I started doing a Chemex (along with French Press), and then started visiting my local coffee roaster, and it was night and day the difference. They still have dark roast if that's your jam, but I'm finding as my tastes change, that I'm liking medium and lighter roasts even better.

I'm really enjoying some beans from Kenya and Peru (medium roasted) lately. It really is kind of like wine tasting. Each bean and roast has different flavor profiles. You can really get nerdy with it if you want to.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 01:17 AM   #363
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like a good bold coffee too.

When I started out, I bought my first grinder, one of those electric blade grinders, and bought my beans at Costco dark roast in those giant 2.5 lbs bags... and that was pretty good, but once I got a little more picky and bought a burr grinder (much like yours if not the same one) and I started doing a Chemex (along with French Press), and then started visiting my local coffee roaster, and it was night and day the difference. They still have dark roast if that's your jam, but I'm finding as my tastes change, that I'm liking medium and lighter roasts even better.

I'm really enjoying some beans from Kenya and Peru (medium roasted) lately. It really is kind of like wine tasting. Each bean and roast has different flavor profiles. You can really get nerdy with it if you want to.
I am most definitely going to look for a local roaster now. You have me pretty excited about it actually. Thanks man.

Instagram - patton250
Old 6 April 2020, 09:14 AM   #364
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am most definitely going to look for a local roaster now. You have me pretty excited about it actually. Thanks man.

I ended up subscribing to a coffee site that sends me small batch coffee every two months. Usually roasted within about 1-2 weeks when I get it. I supplement that with what I can find locally when I’m out and about. I owe Starbucks a huge debt for introducing me to espresso, but they do have their unique roasting style (heavy, heavy roast). See my post above, but it’s pretty cool when you get aromas and flavors of fruit and cream out of an espresso shot...all while still being dark and rich.
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 09:02 PM   #365
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Latte macchiato w fresh stumptown hairbender. We get a delivery every two weeks direct. Miele CM5300 has been worth its weight in gold the last year.

Old 6 April 2020, 10:23 PM   #366
chappuy1750
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: JLC
nice! stumptown too!
chappuy1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 11:33 PM   #367
chappuy1750

Watch: JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGatorM5 View Post
I'm pretty novice, but really enjoying this one. Creamy, smooth, and the fruit carries into the taste as well.
Sounds fantastic!
chappuy1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 11:41 PM   #368
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Latte macchiato w fresh stumptown hairbender. We get a delivery every two weeks direct. Miele CM5300 has been worth its weight in gold the last year.

That’s a sweet machine. I love my Jura Z6. It makes everything and self cleans itself.

Instagram - patton250
Old 9 April 2020, 10:48 AM   #369
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloncap78 View Post
Technivorm Mochamaster, Kitchen Aid grinder and some Counter Culture Guatemalan/Ethiopian blend. Water weight in grams divided by 17 = grams of beans to grind + 201F water = perfect cup every time.

Counter culture is great coffee

BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 02:31 PM   #370
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
A subscription to a reputable roastery is a great way to go. I get a 250g bag sent up from a place in Melbourne called Market Lane. Every fortnight, it’s a different single origin roasted specifically for filter style (frenchpress/V60 pourover/Aeropress etc). They buy high quality green beans sourced from growers across the world who they have good relationships with.

My preferred method is pourover. I use a Lido 2 handgrinder and some small digital scales, always sticking to an 18:1 water-to-coffee ratio, with the main variable for extraction being my grinder. Good enough for me at home, though I miss my daily espresso from the local cafe, since the corona lockdown...

Enjoy it any which way, I say.
White Collar Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 09:30 PM   #371
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That’s a sweet machine. I love my Jura Z6. It makes everything and self cleans itself.

Thanks it’s a very similar machine. German counterpart

I actually bought the Miele because the self clean was so pragmatic on this. Cleaning the milk hose is as simple as placing the tube on a nipple on the base and you’re done.
Old 9 April 2020, 10:13 PM   #372
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Thanks it’s a very similar machine. German counterpart

I actually bought the Miele because the self clean was so pragmatic on this. Cleaning the milk hose is as simple as placing the tube on a nipple on the base and you’re done.

I have a Jura E8 and the daily maintenance required is frustrating to say the least!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 10:32 PM   #373
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

TRF ~ Coffee Lovers Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
I have a Jura E8 and the daily maintenance required is frustrating to say the least!!!!

It’s funny it truly fits the stereotype of Italian v German and I could make a case for either machine.
Old 9 April 2020, 10:34 PM   #374
-dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGatorM5 View Post
I ended up subscribing to a coffee site that sends me small batch coffee every two months. Usually roasted within about 1-2 weeks when I get it. I supplement that with what I can find locally when I’m out and about. I owe Starbucks a huge debt for introducing me to espresso, but they do have their unique roasting style (heavy, heavy roast). See my post above, but it’s pretty cool when you get aromas and flavors of fruit and cream out of an espresso shot...all while still being dark and rich.
Look into Trade Coffee www.drinktrade.com. Deliveries every 2, 3, or 4 weeks depending on your preference, and within days of roasting. I’m an espresso drinker and the difference between beans 1 week after roasting and 2 weeks is substantial. 3 weeks and the beans are stale. It’s rather interesting how finicky espresso can be.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 10:46 PM   #375
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Does anyone know what happened to the guy that started this thread?

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 10:48 PM   #376
SearChart
TechXpert

Anyone here has a La Pavoni manual espresso lever machine?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 12:01 AM   #377
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Just picked up these from Northbound Roasters. Drinking the Yirgacheffe now. Very nice. Happy Easter!

Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 12:08 AM   #378
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_Six View Post
Just picked up these from Northbound Roasters. Drinking the Yirgacheffe now. Very nice. Happy Easter!

Great pictures. That coffee looks awesome also. Happy Easter my friend.

Instagram - patton250
Old 13 April 2020, 02:46 AM   #379
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Look into Trade Coffee www.drinktrade.com. Deliveries every 2, 3, or 4 weeks depending on your preference, and within days of roasting. I’m an espresso drinker and the difference between beans 1 week after roasting and 2 weeks is substantial. 3 weeks and the beans are stale. It’s rather interesting how finicky espresso can be.

Looks like a very cool site. I book marked and will take a look today. To your point, biggest issue I have is I only brew on weekends, so I typically need a little on a weekly or biweekly basis. When I get to the second bag, it’s usually a few weeks old. Thanks!
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 07:15 AM   #380
milov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Anyone here has a La Pavoni manual espresso lever machine?
Hey Bas. The La Pavoni is an excellent machine. Though very tricky to use. It is probably one of the best ways to 'hack' a very decent espresso without spending a huge amount of money. I would definitely recommend getting the machine with a pressure gauge so that you can get better feedback on how your dosing and grinding is working towards achieving that sweet spot for a perfect pour.

The advantage is this machine gives you the chance to achieve a real pressure profile rather than a variable pumped movement of water you get in cheaper machines. But you will be limited to the 14gram style of dosing rather than the 18-20 gram style that you can achieve with more expensive machines.

And even more important, is the grinder you use. A grinder with a powerful motor and quality burrs is drastically going to improve your espresso. But these things are not cheap.

It is not really any good for steaming milk, but that isn't a problem for you. And it takes a long time heat up.

But they are kind of fun to use... and they will teach you a lot about dialing in espresso and sourcing flavours from single origin beans

But if you want to consider a more expensive option.... check these guys out:
https://decentespresso.com

Hope you are well my friend.
milov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 03:19 PM   #381
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by milov View Post
Hey Bas. The La Pavoni is an excellent machine. Though very tricky to use. It is probably one of the best ways to 'hack' a very decent espresso without spending a huge amount of money. I would definitely recommend getting the machine with a pressure gauge so that you can get better feedback on how your dosing and grinding is working towards achieving that sweet spot for a perfect pour.

The advantage is this machine gives you the chance to achieve a real pressure profile rather than a variable pumped movement of water you get in cheaper machines. But you will be limited to the 14gram style of dosing rather than the 18-20 gram style that you can achieve with more expensive machines.

And even more important, is the grinder you use. A grinder with a powerful motor and quality burrs is drastically going to improve your espresso. But these things are not cheap.

It is not really any good for steaming milk, but that isn't a problem for you. And it takes a long time heat up.

But they are kind of fun to use... and they will teach you a lot about dialing in espresso and sourcing flavours from single origin beans

But if you want to consider a more expensive option.... check these guys out:
https://decentespresso.com

Hope you are well my friend.
Hey! Thanks for your reply! Hope you're well too, don't see you running on Strava anymore, hopefully not because of an injury

Price isn't really the issue, I'm just really looking for a manual style machine, coffee making is a hobby, don't need it to be quick. And I thought the La Pavoni was a good one for at home, I like the styling as well.

I'm debating between the Kinu grinder or the Apollo one, both can grind very fine and consistent for espresso. And both are manual €350+ grinders

I'm already using high quality single origin beans every day when I'm making my V60 pour over and Aeropress brews, I might just need a differently roasted coffee for espresso though, as I currently drink quite light roasts.

I don't know if you know him, but I'm watching a lot of videos of a guy named James Hoffman (world barista champion a few years back) on YouTube, he's making a series of videos on dialing in espresso. But goes deep into the subject, covering dose, pressure, timing, extraction, water hardness and alkalinity, temperature, etc.

He's covered many different machines and ways of coffee making, just not the La Pavoni specifically..

Dialing in for the first time will probably still be very difficult, and cost me quite a bit of coffee but at least I have a slight bit of knowledge which could make it easier
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 05:00 AM   #382
bob2
Banned

Watch: Patek 5396G
For you Technivorm guys. I am leaning towards a Moccamaster KBG. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? The reviews are quite good, but I would appreciate any wisdom from someone who owns a Moccamaster.
bob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 10:00 AM   #383
vitix
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I’m not a coffee lover but I tried to triplicate the coffee on the photo in the box of dolce gusto

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eYwR9mhNG1c15Tfw9

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rolex Submariner Date 16610 Z series / DSSD / GMT MII BNLR / Daytona 116500LN
Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17 / Formula 1 Orange dial

Panerai Luminor Power Reserve / PAM49
vitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 02:51 AM   #384
chuckp06
"TRF" Member

Great information in this thread

Does anyone have whole bean decaf they recommend? Usually pull espressos and I like to switch to decaffeinated after a self-imposed daily quota :)

cheers!
chuckp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 03:45 AM   #385
-dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckp06 View Post
Great information in this thread

Does anyone have whole bean decaf they recommend? Usually pull espressos and I like to switch to decaffeinated after a self-imposed daily quota :)

cheers!
https://www.klatchroasting.com/collections/decaf

anything and everything I've had from Klatch has been great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2 View Post
For you Technivorm guys. I am leaning towards a Moccamaster KBG. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? The reviews are quite good, but I would appreciate any wisdom from someone who owns a Moccamaster.
That's on my short list. Actually, it's the only brewing machine on my list. Just need to find counter space.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 04:18 AM   #386
Trog
Banned

Always coffee time:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coffee Time.jpg (287.2 KB, 122 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 09:46 AM   #387
bob2
Banned

Watch: Patek 5396G
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
https://www.klatchroasting.com/collections/decaf

anything and everything I've had from Klatch has been great.

That's on my short list. Actually, it's the only brewing machine on my list. Just need to find counter space.
Absent advice, I bought it anyway. It makes an excellent cup. It's not quite as good as a chemex pour over, but far less tedious and more convenient for workdays.

The foot print is not much larger than a Mr. Coffee and it fits easily under the cabinets. An added plus is that it's lovely to look at.
bob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 10:35 AM   #388
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2 View Post
Absent advice, I bought it anyway. It makes an excellent cup. It's not quite as good as a chemex pour over, but far less tedious and more convenient for workdays.

The foot print is not much larger than a Mr. Coffee and it fits easily under the cabinets. An added plus is that it's lovely to look at.
Nice... Sorry for not chiming in. I feel exactly the same... Chemex is best, but my Technivorm gets the normal daily duty and is almost as as good. And yes, they look cool.

I'm primarily a black coffee drinker, but lately I got a hand milk frother and have been making quasi lattes in the morning.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 01:39 PM   #389
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Great looking machine, Trog. La Pavoni - Romantica?
It's good to be in control of the pour.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 01:19 PM   #390
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Received some nice gifts from family for my birthday.
One of my favourites was the Panama (Geisha variety) by Jamieson Savage.
This stuff sells for A$360./kilo so I will be looking to dial it in first shot - no room for wastage here. Haven't done a pour yet so looking forward to it.
https://projectorigin.com.au/savage-...amison-savage/

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kona