The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 April 2020, 11:24 AM   #31
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
When I look for a dive watch terms such as luxury & elegant don't enter into the equation. Although it's doubtful I'd use it for diving, which would be superfluous anyway, I appreciate the technology and engineering involved to create such a time piece. My preference is the Pelagos over the Sub, regardless of price. Ti is comfortable, bezel lume is amazing, and the clasp is a marvel. And available for purchase.

We all agree, it makes no sense to settle. Go with the watch that really makes you smile. For me, it's the Pelagos.
dP
Nice.

My only cosmetic gripe is the bezel numeric font isn’t the same as the depth limit one on the face. Those details bug me.

(Ya, I’m that guy...)

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 11:37 AM   #32
georgekart
"TRF" Member

I think the ceramic SS Rolex Submariner ND is a watch engineered to perfection over years of experience. It's not the best at any singular aspect, but it's close enough to perfect in all aspects to be enjoyed by everyone. Is it as slim as dress watches? No. Is it a thick and chunky watch? No, but it is perfectly average to the point where nobody will complain. Is it small? No. But it's not large either. With supercase they ensured it is big enough to please lovers of big watches, yet small enough to not be offensive. Is black ceramic bezel and glossy Maxi dial the most flashy combo? No, it's definitely not flashy and can be formal, but how it looks when it catches light it's not completely plain either. Same for bracelet, clasp, etc. You name it. If there's a watch equivalent of jack of all trades, that's it. Is it worth it to you if that's not what you like? No. Is it worth that because everybody else likes it enough to perceive it is worth that? Yes.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 11:38 AM   #33
txaggie9307
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm92 View Post
Thanks guys I really appreciate the level responses. I think this is going to come down to going to an AD trying them on, post virus and when Subs are hopefully a reality again. I have a BB58 and it is one of my most worn watches. I have quite small wrists and in that respect I think the Sub would be a better choice. But again I can't get away from the fact I could have a Pelagos and a Speedmaster for the price of the Sub. Thanks again everyone.

I’ve quarreled with this same problem that the sub could be a speedmaster and a pelagos. However, I have owned all 3 and the magic of the submariner is true. When I owned both I clamored for a sub.

The pelagos and speedy are awesome but it’s different than the sub and if you have any inclination towards the sub, save and get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 April 2020, 12:32 PM   #34
Bruce_Wayne
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj View Post
I actually prefer the Pelagius LHD to the 116610, irrespective of price; I realize that’s likely a minority opinion, given where we’re posting. ;)

+1 on this. Love the roulette date wheel on the LHD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruce_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:28 PM   #35
michael8238
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always changing
Pelagos to me is objectively a better watch--perhaps the best tool watch you can buy.
Sub is a better...Sub..
michael8238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 03:06 PM   #36
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

In my opinion, the form factor of the Sub is the best in the industry, and the Pelagos doesn’t touch it. The Pelagos is a lot of watch for the money, but it is no Submariner.

If you want to assess the Sub from a financial perspective, the Sub is indeed expensive for a steel diver. On top of its role as a tool watch, you’re paying a premium to own one of the most iconic watches of all time, the Rolex brand name, etc.

If you want an automatic Swiss watch, and value is your game, you can do better than the Pelagos with a Tissot, Victorinox, or an Oris. Comparable depth ratings, ETA/Sellita movements, durable build quality, etc. but the fit and finish are leagues away - but to rephrase your question, is the Pelagos worth that much more than a Tissot/Victorinox/Oris?

In my opinion, as someone who isn’t a huge fan of the Pelagos’ form factor, a better comparison to the Sub is OMEGA’s 39.5mm Planet Ocean - though even the PO’s form factor doesn't stand up to the Sub (thicker case, less comfortable bracelet, etc.). The PO is roughly on par with the build quality of the Sub, though OMEGA’s in-house movements are not as reliable, based on my observations working alongside WOSTEP certified watchmakers for several years.

The Pelagos is an excellent watch, and the lumed bezel is innovative and spectacular (experiencing it in person really is something else) - but there is only one Submariner. It is an icon for a reason.
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 04:58 PM   #37
Ihatecheese
Banned

I owned the Pelagos and now sub 5 digit.
Pelagos is a lovely watch. But was too big for me height wise. I used to somehow mark my wrist on its sharp case side. The bracelet was a bit stretchy strange with the adjustors. Otherwise was a lovely watch. Enjoyed the depth of the dial. Scratched v easy on titanium.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 05:52 PM   #38
goliat
"TRF" Member

If you want the Submariner, never settle for a Pelagos. You think it's an obvious comparison, but guess what, it isn't. They are actually completely different.

The Pelagos is not for everyone and those looking to buy one to quench their Sub lust will be disappointed BIG TIME. It's chunky. It's dull. It's flat. It's light. And that's what makes it unique and why I friggin' love it.

The Pelagos works for me because I want a fun weekend watch that sings during summertime and tones down during the winter.. It's an unabashed tool watch with the specs to match. The Sub is more like a piece of jewelry that you can dress up. You can't dress up the Pelagos. Trust me, I've tried. You will look goofy if you do.

In addition, the Pelagos works for me because I have never had this dilemma, as I don't want a Sub and never will: I think it looks whack with its maxicase and I don't want to own the most copied watch in the world. For me, the Pelagos is unique. It's a nod to the rich heritage of the Marine Nationale Snowflake.

TL;DR: if you want a Sub, don't buy a Pelagos.
goliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 06:13 PM   #39
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
A £200 Sunnto dive computer would be more useful than either.

Are you actually going to use either for diving ? If so the Pelagos is the better choice, the Rolex will hold its value better but not if its banged up by diving which it inevitably will be.

The last thing on your mind at 30 metres going though a wreck is worrying about babying you expensive watch. If you dive in nice blue open water occasionally then it's not going to be a problem.
Old 9 April 2020, 06:19 PM   #40
Rhythm King
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliat View Post
If you want the Submariner, never settle for a Pelagos. You think it's an obvious comparison, but guess what, it isn't. They are actually completely different.

The Pelagos is not for everyone and those looking to buy one to quench their Sub lust will be disappointed BIG TIME. It's chunky. It's dull. It's flat. It's light. And that's what makes it unique and why I friggin' love it.

The Pelagos works for me because I want a fun weekend watch that sings during summertime and tones down during the winter.. It's an unabashed tool watch with the specs to match. The Sub is more like a piece of jewelry that you can dress up. You can't dress up the Pelagos. Trust me, I've tried. You will look goofy if you do.

In addition, the Pelagos works for me because I have never had this dilemma, as I don't want a Sub and never will: I think it looks whack with its maxicase and I don't want to own the most copied watch in the world. For me, the Pelagos is unique. It's a nod to the rich heritage of the Marine Nationale Snowflake.

TL;DR: if you want a Sub, don't buy a Pelagos.

Agreed; even my old 14060m has more of a jewelry vibe, while my LHD has more of a no-nonsense tool feel. I do really enjoy them both.

This thread needs more pics.

Rhythm King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 06:33 PM   #41
fmc000
Banned

I've hat three Submariners in the past, all sold without regrets. I'm looking at the Pelagos right now, the blue version, but I find hard to convince myself that i like those snowflake hands.

if I had to buy a new watch right now it would probably be the Pelagos.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 06:48 PM   #42
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Lexus vs Toyota

One mfr wants to sell to 2 different price ranges
eonflux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 06:51 PM   #43
Max 66
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Lexus vs Toyota

Or Cayman vs 911 Carrera
If you drive the first is a fantastic car but is not a 911
Max 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 07:09 PM   #44
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Lexus vs Toyota

Yes but which one would you go diving with.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 9 April 2020, 07:14 PM   #45
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max 66 View Post
Or Cayman vs 911 Carrera
If you drive the first is a fantastic car but is not a 911
Somewhat agree.
I had a Boxster (987.1) and a 911 (991.1).
The balance of the mid-engine models is something the 911 can’t achieve. Not surprising that the supercars, the Carrera GT and 918 are mid-engines.

To Porsche, Cayman/911 are more like siblings.

For Rolex vs Tudor, the differentiation seems to be intended to be more significant. More like cousins.
Tudor is doing some cool things—titanium, more lume on bezels, inhouse movements, etc.
Too bad I don’t like most of their designs.
Old 9 April 2020, 07:19 PM   #46
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Macdermott View Post
Yes but which one would you go diving with.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
My DSSD
Old 9 April 2020, 07:31 PM   #47
Max 66
Banned

Quote:
Somewhat agree.
I had a Boxster (987.1) and a 911 (991.1).
The balance of the mid-engine models is something the 911 can’t achieve. Not surprising that the supercars, the Carrera GT and 918 are mid-engines.

To Porsche, Cayman/911 are more like siblings.

For Rolex vs Tudor, the differentiation seems to be intended to be more significant. More like cousins.
Tudor is doing some cool things—titanium, more lume on bezels, inhouse movements, etc.
Too bad I don’t like most of their designs.
It was not intended as comparison related to technical features of the 2 Porsche but simply to emphasize the difference between an excellent car and an icon
My congratulations for the 991.1
Max 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 09:15 PM   #48
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Lexus vs Toyota

I'll take the Toyota ;)
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:50 AM   #49
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
After having the Sub ND several times, Sub Date several times, and the Pelagos several times (yes it s sick hobby) I have ended up with the Pelagos with in-house movement. Not sure what that says really. I like everything about the Pelagos and I like everything about the Sub other than the current price. Over the past 10 years when the prices were reasonable (this is relative of course) I'd say the sub is better but now IMHO its questionable whether or not is really worth the price. That is an individual opinion of course. For my Rolex is now a DJ41 and my diver the Pelly
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote