The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 November 2023, 01:48 AM   #1
Dan2394
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 124060
Rolex 116520 Advise Needed

Hi,

While the market prices are as they are I am considering getting my all time favourite Rolex, the 116520.

I am just after some advise on the purchase.

1. Would you recommend paying extra for a fully stickered watch or save the money and get a worn watch?

2. I’m looking at years 2013-2016 would you only got for a watch if it has had a service?
* same for the fully stickered unworn, if it hasn’t been worn but it’s around 10 years old will it still need a service?

3. Will the polished steel bezel hold up to regular everyday wear and is anyone currently using theirs as a daily?

4. What are the best signs to look out for to tell if the watch has been over polished?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan2394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 02:39 AM   #2
sjcapp
"TRF" Member

A few thoughts...

1: Save the money. There are plenty of gently/barely worn examples out there for sale. The stickers will end up coming off anyway. Pocket that cash for question 2...

2: Anything 7+ years old, I'd prefer it have had a service at some stage. But this isn't a dealbreaker if the price is right and you account for the need to send it in for service (i.e., whatever your max budget is, account for service costs in that if you get an older model with no service history).

3: I haven't owned a Daytona before, so I'll defer to other TRF members. But I do know folks who daily 116520's. The polished bezel will of course get scratches but I don't believe the bezel on the 116520 is uniquely fragile as compared to other SS models.

4: As for over polishing, the telltale signs differ from model to model, but there are some universal rules to follow. Look for uneven or asymmetrical surfaces, crown logos on the clasp and crown that don't look crisp/clear, bevels that are missing, etc. Basically, find some good pictures of new or unpolished versions and compare those to whatever used piece you are considering. Over polishing is often pretty easy to spot if you know what an untouched model should look like.

Hope this helps!
Old 11 November 2023, 02:49 AM   #3
kferg46
"TRF" Member

3. I wouldnt worry about the wear on the bezel. I just had mine replaced during its regular service and it was only a few hundred dollars
kferg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 02:56 AM   #4
Dan2394
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcapp View Post
A few thoughts...

1: Save the money. There are plenty of gently/barely worn examples out there for sale. The stickers will end up coming off anyway. Pocket that cash for question 2...

2: Anything 7+ years old, I'd prefer it have had a service at some stage. But this isn't a dealbreaker if the price is right and you account for the need to send it in for service (i.e., whatever your max budget is, account for service costs in that if you get an older model with no service history).

3: I haven't owned a Daytona before, so I'll defer to other TRF members. But I do know folks who daily 116520's. The polished bezel will of course get scratches but I don't believe the bezel on the 116520 is uniquely fragile as compared to other SS models.

4: As for over polishing, the telltale signs differ from model to model, but there are some universal rules to follow. Look for uneven or asymmetrical surfaces, crown logos on the clasp and crown that don't look crisp/clear, bevels that are missing, etc. Basically, find some good pictures of new or unpolished versions and compare those to whatever used piece you are considering. Over polishing is often pretty easy to spot if you know what an untouched model should look like.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advise.

I think my best bet is a lightly worn model with a service in the last year or two.

Old 11 November 2023, 02:57 AM   #5
Alphaguy
Banned

When it comes to buying a Rolex 116520, here's my advice:

1. If you're a fan of the fully stickered look, go for it! But if you don't mind a bit of wear, you can save some money by getting a worn watch.

2. For watches from 2013-2016, it's always good to check if they've had a service. It helps ensure the watch is in good condition. As for the fully stickered unworn watch, even if it's around 10 years old, it's still a good idea to get it serviced to make sure everything is running smoothly.

3. The polished steel bezel should hold up well to regular everyday wear. Many people use their Rolex 116520 as their daily watch without any issues.

4. To check if a watch has been over polished, look for any unevenness or loss of sharpness in the edges and markings. It's always good to inspect the watch closely or ask for detailed pictures before making a purchase.

Good luck.
Alphaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 03:01 AM   #6
Dan2394
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferg46 View Post
3. I wouldnt worry about the wear on the bezel. I just had mine replaced during its regular service and it was only a few hundred dollars

I didn’t even think about the fact the entire bezel could be replaced. It makes more sense to go for a 126500 for the ceramic bezel for a daily but there’s just something about the all steel 116520 that I love.

Old 11 November 2023, 03:09 AM   #7
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Don't pay extra for one with stickers still on if you intend to daily it. I've worn my 116520 the majority of time since I got it new from an AD in 2015. It has some scratches. A Cape Cod cloth can do wonders. It'll never be pristine if you wear it most days. But who cares? It's a watch, not an investment. If it increases in value, that's a bonus.

Service? It's about $1000. So if no service history, you can try to split the difference of that cost in your offer. But a 10-year-old Daytona still has a ways to go until it NEEDS a service.

For me, it's the best watch ever. Mine is a black dial. It goes with everything from swimsuit or jeans/tshirt, to tux. Let's see what you end up with!
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 03:11 AM   #8
Dan2394
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdc View Post
Don't pay extra for one with stickers still on if you intend to daily it. I've worn my 116520 the majority of time since I got it new from an AD in 2015. It has some scratches. A Cape Cod cloth can do wonders. It'll never be pristine if you wear it most days. But who cares? It's a watch, not an investment. If it increases in value, that's a bonus.

Service? It's about $1000. So if no service history, you can try to split the difference of that cost in your offer. But a 10-year-old Daytona still has a ways to go until it NEEDS a service.

For me, it's the best watch ever. Mine is a black dial. It goes with everything from swimsuit or jeans/tshirt, to tux. Let's see what you end up with!

I’ve always preferred the black dial but recently the white has grown on me, I’m just not sure the white is worth the premium over the black.

Old 11 November 2023, 08:05 AM   #9
sawhornsoff
2024 Pledge Member

If you plan to wear it regularly, I agree with above stating don’t pay the extra for a stickered watch. Various 116520 watches were my daily wear from 2003-2016 and they held up to harder use than most. After RSC service (usually at year 7-10) they all looked perfect. Yes, the bezel loses some of the sharpness at the edges but overall it looked great.
sawhornsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 09:03 AM   #10
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
My 116520 just back from it's first service, it's a V-Serial so 2009, never polished, all original, wear it all the time....was and is my Grail watch, one I'd wanted since I first inquired about getting one, way back when it would've been a 5 digit....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_Daytona_Flat.jpg (269.1 KB, 406 views)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 09:05 AM   #11
Dan2394
"TRF" Member

Rolex 116520 Advise Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
My 116520 just back from it's first service, it's a V-Serial so 2009, never polished, all original, wear it all the time....was and is my Grail watch, one I'd wanted since I first inquired about getting one, way back when it would've been a 5 digit....

Lovely watch, I think the black dial is a great buy with the price difference between the white

Old 11 November 2023, 09:24 AM   #12
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I have a white face 116520 that has had a fair share of wrist time. I bought it preowned from DSW in 2016. Holds us very well. Important areas to check are case and lug edges relative to over polishing. Crown on the clasp may also be a good indicator. In any case find one from a trusted source and put it on and don’t take it off! Good luck.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 09:32 AM   #13
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post
I have a white face 116520 that has had a fair share of wrist time. I bought it preowned from DSW in 2016. Holds us very well. Important areas to check are case and lug edges relative to over polishing. Crown on the clasp may also be a good indicator. In any case find one from a trusted source and put it on and don’t take it off! Good luck.
Agreed, got mine for Tony (JUSTROLEXES)....great to deal with and had it on my wrist in 33 hours....was an incredible first Rolex purchase experience.

If only I had known 15-20 years earlier....could've saved myself having AD's tell me over and over, "Waitlist is 7 years"!
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 09:01 PM   #14
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
1. Since you plan to wear it, save the money (but: if you get a NOS with stickers, then you don't have to worry about 2 and 4).

2. In my experience with a few NOS, you won't need a service even if it's 5-10 years old. In worn pieces, monitor the first few weeks how it keeps time and then decide. It's not a given that you will need service after 8-10 years. It will always depend on usage and the conditions it was kept under.

3. It holds up fine, but it will collect micro-scratches, like any other polished steel surface.

4. For the 116520, I prefer to look at the bezel engravings- polishing makes the markings much less crispy (on a new example, the markings appear almost laser-etched). Another sign is the crown on the clasp. Unfortunately, the asymmetrical lugs and their curved shape make it difficult (for me) to judge based on those. However a polished watch is not radioactive! Meaning, not all polishing is bad. If done correctly, it is perfectly ok, imho.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 03:36 AM   #15
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
I own a 116520 in white. It's a great watch, if you like the Daytona and the size fits your wrist/preferences. Prices have dropped, so a much better position to negotiation now than in recent years.

1. If you plan to wear it and the price difference is significant, save the money.
2. Service need/frequency may depend on watch condition, age, and user preference. You can always factor in service costs if the watch is nearing 10 yrs + without a service. Otherwise, just recognize it may eventually need one...whether at 8 yrs, 10 yrs, 12, yrs, 15 yrs, or other.
3. Polished bezel holds up fine, nothing more than normal wear scratches.
4. Look for sharpness of case edges, lugs, sharpness of Rolex crown on clasp, etc.

Good luck. Post back with photos, once you find what you are looking for!
pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 05:23 AM   #16
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
While the market prices are as they are I am considering getting my all time favourite Rolex, the 116520.

I am just after some advise on the purchase.

1. Would you recommend paying extra for a fully stickered watch or save the money and get a worn watch?

No. Largely pointless unless you intend to keep it in safe as an investment piece

2. I’m looking at years 2013-2016 would you only got for a watch if it has had a service?
* same for the fully stickered unworn, if it hasn’t been worn but it’s around 10 years old will it still need a service?

I’d go for a presumably cheaper unserviced watch and factor in an immediate service by me.

3. Will the polished steel bezel hold up to regular everyday wear and is anyone currently using theirs as a daily?

My two zenith Daytona’s have had several bezels over the years. They’re about 200-300 at service, so relatively low cost.

4. What are the best signs to look out for to tell if the watch has been over polished?

With a keen eye the over polished status is clearly evident since crisp lines on the case will appear washed-out. The bracelet will display worn rolex logo and visible thin links.

♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 05:35 AM   #17
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Hi op

You say that it is your all time favourite. If you can afford to buy a new stickered one then why not. Stickers off and on the wrist.
Old 14 November 2023, 06:07 AM   #18
Dan2394
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi op

You say that it is your all time favourite. If you can afford to buy a new stickered one then why not. Stickers off and on the wrist.

Hi
I did that with my current 124060 but with them still being in production the extra for a stickered watch wasn’t much, I don’t think the premium of possibly 20-30% over a used well looked after watch is worth it.
I think I’ll keep and eye out and wait for a nice clean 2014, 15 or 16 model to come up.

Old 14 November 2023, 06:10 AM   #19
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2394 View Post
Hi
I did that with my current 124060 but with them still being in production the extra for a stickered watch wasn’t much, I don’t think the premium of possibly 20-30% over a used well looked after watch is worth it.
I think I’ll keep and eye out and wait for a nice clean 2014, 15 or 16 model to come up.

A nice fresh. clean low mileage one would be good.
Old 14 November 2023, 06:33 PM   #20
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Love my 116520.
I'm the second owner. It's a 2007 in nearly nos condition full set. I sent it straight off to Rolex for a service but no polish!
The movement is so smooth it's a pleasure to turn.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 06:41 PM   #21
Dan2394
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooey View Post
Love my 116520.
I'm the second owner. It's a 2007 in nearly nos condition full set. I sent it straight off to Rolex for a service but no polish!
The movement is so smooth it's a pleasure to turn.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I wish I hadn’t seen that, I was set on a black dial

Old 14 November 2023, 06:50 PM   #22
hello93
"TRF" Member

1. I totally understand going the NOS route because there are very few examples that are used and in pristine condition.

2. n/a

3. n/a

4. Go find picture of nos examples and compare them while looking at listings. If it looks polished at all it's probably been polished. I tend to look at the bottom left lug, it should be extremely sharp. Once you start looking at listings you'll understand what I mean.

Also if you want the black dial there are 2 main different variants. The later production subdials on a black dial have a very shiny almost chrome like finish compared to earlier black dials.
hello93 is offline   Reply With Quote