The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 May 2017, 02:33 PM   #1
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Will Rolex discontinue the 116719 BLRO ???

It is clear that the 116719 (white gold GMT) is not selling in the type of volume that would move the needle for Rolex so I am wondering what everyone thinks about the possibility for them to discontinue this model?

I know some people suggest Rolex will introduce a SS version of this "Pepsi" watch but that sure would seem unwise as it would make this white gold version less exclusive unless there was a significant visual difference.

It seems like it might be a smart move for Rolex to discontinue this watch because it is not selling well and if it was discontinued it would become more exclusive and help sagging values.

What are your thoughts on whether the white gold will be discontinued or if a SS version is coming?
montecarlo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 02:43 PM   #2
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

What makes you say that the ceramic Pepsi isn't selling well? I've seen it around town, though i would never expect to see it in the same quantities as SS models. I don't anticipate Rolex converting it to SS; I think they'll come up with another color combo (Coke?) before doing that. Of course, it's all speculation....
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 02:45 PM   #3
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

It does not appear to be selling well because prices are sagging for used ones and new ones are being offered for low to mid $20's now.
Old 30 May 2017, 11:48 PM   #4
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo77 View Post
It does not appear to be selling well because prices are sagging for used ones and new ones are being offered for low to mid $20's now.
Show me where I can find a new one for low 20s and I'll buy it now.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 12:08 AM   #5
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB, 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=537882

There are a couple of POs for a bit less
uncufunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 07:39 AM   #6
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncufunc View Post

Congrats (in advance) on your purchase!

I don't think the 116719 is selling any faster/slower than the 116718....so I believe the 116719 isn't going anywhere.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 01:33 PM   #7
Esoteric
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=502380

I had very few inquiries and even fewer offers!
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 01:56 PM   #8
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post

Wow, thats a great price! They seem to have been moving this spring quite regularly and at higher prices for preowned.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 11:31 PM   #9
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncufunc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
Congrats (in advance) on your purchase!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post

OK, I see the problem. I had done a search on "BLRO" and both of those sellers listed it as "116719BLRO" and the lack of a space made my search fail. Lesson learned (for me) to try more variations.

As for others' comments about PM watches: my local AD does not typically stock PM in any model, just because they are slow movers. An AD in the city that I work in is supposedly going to get in a BLRO today and I will see it today or tomorrow because, really, seriously, I gotta look at it before I spend 20+ large on a watch.

Thanks for the links to the for sale threads...

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 2 June 2017, 12:13 AM   #10
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

MJB:

Looks like you have multiple opportunities to buy in the low $20's and another one on Ebay went unsold with an asking price of $22,500 and they were willing to accept offers for even less than that. It's time to get your checkbook out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-GMT-Ma...3D302323431617
Old 2 June 2017, 10:19 PM   #11
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
MJB:

Looks like you have multiple opportunities to buy in the low $20's and another one on Ebay went unsold with an asking price of $22,500 and they were willing to accept offers for even less than that. It's time to get your checkbook out!
Huh. It looks like that one and some others on eBay are local pickup only. What's up with that, do people not like to ship things, or are they afraid of insurance costs, liability, accusations of fraud, or what? A TRF seller also seems to have the same issue. Sorry for the hijack. I'm confused...

Old 13 January 2018, 03:38 PM   #12
tommy90
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My local AD has one for 20% Off in stock...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tommy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 02:45 PM   #13
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
It is clear that the 116719 (white gold GMT) is not selling in the type of volume that would move the needle for Rolex so I am wondering what everyone thinks about the possibility for them to discontinue this model?

I know some people suggest Rolex will introduce a SS version of this "Pepsi" watch but that sure would seem unwise as it would make this white gold version less exclusive unless there was a significant visual difference.

It seems like it might be a smart move for Rolex to discontinue this watch because it is not selling well and if it was discontinued it would become more exclusive and help sagging values.

What are your thoughts on whether the white gold will be discontinued or if a SS version is coming?
I think for a PM sports watch it's quite popular. I don't see it as a watch that's hurting in sales any more than any other PM sports watch, especially those made of white gold.

While discontuing it will (slowly) make it more exclusive I don't think any value increase would affect rolex enough for it to push them to make that decision.

That said, if they did ever come out with a SS Pepsi GMT, they may as well discontinue it as I believe the sales numbers on the 116719 would absolutely plummet. I don't see the two watches ever coexisting.

I think There's more of a possibility to see a SS Coke GMT, but I also think that's very unlikely.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 02:58 PM   #14
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

Discontinuing it would make it more exclusive and indirectly help Rolex as being viewed as an "investment or collectible watch" because Rolex does not want to see resale values plummet for its buyers. That is why I think it would make sense for Rolex to discontinue it, by doing so the value would stabilize quickly and start to move higher over time.
Old 30 May 2017, 06:52 PM   #15
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Discontinuing it would make it more exclusive and indirectly help Rolex as being viewed as an "investment or collectible watch" because Rolex does not want to see resale values plummet for its buyers. That is why I think it would make sense for Rolex to discontinue it, by doing so the value would stabilize quickly and start to move higher over time.
Sorry but PM Rolex have always traded at substantial discount so this is no different than any others. They are all dogs if one wants an investment they are guaranteed to lose 35% on day one. Then they might as well just discontinue all precious metal models and call it a day.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 11:02 PM   #16
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm not sure I agree here - if I read this right.

Rolex does not care about resale values in the secondary market.

They're all about maximizing revenue on new models. If those are not selling, they discontinue.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 12:41 AM   #17
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

Speed: Rolex absolutely cares about resale value because products that HOLD their value will always sell easy when new. If you sell products that drop huge in value, then fewer consumers will buy new and instead buy secondhand.

Ferrari is a great example of a company that releases limited quantities and makes a model for just a few years and because of that these cars do well in the resale market and often become collectible and solid investments that can also be enjoyed. Making something forever or flooding the market makes no sense. Both Rolex and Ferrari have to maintain an air of limited availability, exclusivity, and collector/investment value. For these reasons it would be smart for Rolex to discontinue this model in the next couple of years if not sooner.
Old 31 May 2017, 01:00 AM   #18
CYKBC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Speed: Rolex absolutely cares about resale value because products that HOLD their value will always sell easy when new. If you sell products that drop huge in value, then fewer consumers will buy new and instead buy secondhand.

Ferrari is a great example of a company that releases limited quantities and makes a model for just a few years and because of that these cars do well in the resale market and often become collectible and solid investments that can also be enjoyed. Making something forever or flooding the market makes no sense. Both Rolex and Ferrari have to maintain an air of limited availability, exclusivity, and collector/investment value. For these reasons it would be smart for Rolex to discontinue this model in the next couple of years if not sooner.
Unlike Rolex, modern Ferraris plummet in value when driven/enjoyed. Solid investments they are not if you actually intend to use them as anything but garage queens.
CYKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 11:08 PM   #19
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
aint gonna happen
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 11:18 PM   #20
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Agree. Lots of wishful thinking on this website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
aint gonna happen
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 11:24 PM   #21
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I sure hope not, at least not before I get this holy grail.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 11:56 PM   #22
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I wonder.. wouldn't Rolex maximise profit by offering it in SS rather than YG? It would make it much more affordable to the many enthusiasts who'd be interested in adding it to their collection. I would expect potential demand for SS to be much higher than for YG.

Where's the higher profit here:

(price YG - cost YG) x quantity "a"
vs.
(price SS - cost SS ) x quantity "b"

where "b" is a high multiple of "a" whereas cost YG is most probably a low multiple of cost SS

I'm sure the marketing boffins at Rolex have figured it out. I don't see a change from YG to SS outlandish at all, apart from the fact that I would happily embrace it. It'd be a win-win as far as I'm concerned, although I'm more of a Coke guy myself and would love a RONR in SS.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 02:45 PM   #23
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I was discussing this very thing with an AD in the midwest. He said the Pepsi was not selling good at all in his shop.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 02:47 PM   #24
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I was discussing this very thing with an AD in the midwest. He said the Pepsi was not selling good at all in his shop.
did he say if other PM watches with MSRPs around $40K are selling good?
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 02:25 AM   #25
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS1 View Post
did he say if other PM watches with MSRPs around $40K are selling good?
He implied it was selling worse than other PM, but did not say. Fair point.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 02:47 PM   #26
Hotrod297
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I don't think it'll be discontinued anytime soon and not sure about sagging sales? if sales are sagging, all they'll do is reduce production until they are ready to officially end it. When they do discontinue it, expect a new model to be released.
If you see the release of a Coke or Rootbeer GMT in PM, then I'd expect the Pepsi or the Green Anniversary Dial GMT to be discontinued.
If it is discontinued, it won't be reintroduced as a SS.
Old 30 May 2017, 03:01 PM   #27
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:

i believe they're selling just fine for a pm tool watch. but its clear a ss pepsi is not an unrealistic possibility since the ss sky-d made the most waves at Basel and pissing off the PM sky-d owners was deemed worth the risk.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 03:01 PM   #28
Cru Jones

Sure, but like this: discontinue the current BLRO at the same time a new SS GMT is introduced (coke? sprite?), then wait several years (3 to 5?), then bring back the red/blue in SS form with more vibrant colors closer to the 16710 instead of the early bakelite inserts.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 03:03 PM   #29
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
IMHO.........it would have been 100% more successful it they got the Pepsi colours correct. Put the two watches side by side and it absolutely pales in comparison to the previous GMT. They don't sell in my market. But then again, I think I was the only 116618LB sale my AD had all year and there is still one at another AD here, and it has been there well over a year.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 03:07 PM   #30
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
IMHO.........it would have been 100% more successful it they got the Pepsi colours correct. Put the two watches side by side and it absolutely pales in comparison to the previous GMT.

You may not like the colors, but they aren't "incorrect". The colors pay homage to the bakelite inserts from decades ago.

And, personally, I find them to be classier for a WG piece than the vibrant red/blue of the 16710.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote