The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 July 2021, 01:29 AM   #1
alwayslovedwatches
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on cartier quartz movement

Is a cartier quartz movement a bad idea, I feel as though fine watches should have automatic movements in general.

I understand there are pieces they have that are automatic, however I prefer the santos without the date. All the automatic versions have a date

Thoughts?
alwayslovedwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 01:57 AM   #2
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
The auto Santos 100 doesn’t have a date.
koryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 02:00 AM   #3
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Most people prefer an automatic or manual wind to a quartz movement.

As for the Santos de Cartier...the medium size white dial is available with an automatic movement and it does not have a date. Good luck!
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 02:18 AM   #4
dannyp
Banned

There's also the Ronde Solo 36mm (recently discontinued, I think) available with automatic movement and no date. Think that one went for just over half the price of a Santos medium.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 02:26 AM   #5
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Quartz movements are perfect watches for people like my wife. She’s not interested in watches and like picking up her watch still in perfect time after days/weeks of neglect.
Old 21 July 2021, 03:04 AM   #6
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Quartz movements are perfect watches for people like my wife. She’s not interested in watches and like picking up her watch still in perfect time after days/weeks of neglect.
The way I’ve always seen it: Quartz makes a lousy timepiece, but a very nice piece of jewelry that tells time.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 03:07 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Personal preference. As a daily beater it makes little difference other than a battery change more often than servicing a mechanical timepiece. Solar power is a bit different.

I'd go mechanical given the choice, and why my wife has the Tank XL (we actually share this piece, yet she wears it more than I).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 03:25 AM   #8
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Exactly this.
My wife bought herself a Steel and gold Santos in 2005.
We've always had the battery replaced by Cartier and serviced at the same time. Just infact had a full service, new battery and bezel replacement. Cost was EUR600.

She loves it - and as they say - happy wife = happy life
Flying Clog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 04:04 PM   #9
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I prefer manual wind watches followed by automatics. Quartz is fine for a G-Shock or something where precise timekeeping is important but not for luxury watches, in my opinion. You should know that the medium sized Santos is automatic and would be my choice in the line.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 05:33 PM   #10
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Personal preference. As a daily beater it makes little difference other than a battery change more often than servicing a mechanical timepiece. Solar power is a bit different.

I'd go mechanical given the choice, and why my wife has the Tank XL (we actually share this piece, yet she wears it more than I).

Funny you say that.. my wife suggested we share a Cartier tank but not sure if the XL would work for her since her wrist is about 6.5 inches. However, she wears a 39mm Explorer well. How does your wife like the fit of the Tank XL?
Old 25 July 2021, 07:01 PM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslovedwatches View Post
Is a cartier quartz movement a bad idea, I feel as though fine watches should have automatic movements in general.

I understand there are pieces they have that are automatic, however I prefer the santos without the date. All the automatic versions have a date

Thoughts?
PP and AP also offer a full range of quartz watches, as of course does Grand Seiko, whose quartz movements (and arguably finishing) are superior to all of the above. Nothing wrong with high-end quartz if it suits your needs.