The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 December 2023, 03:29 AM   #91
only1swami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Mic drop —> FE!N exit was so sick. FHB and AP really give 0 f***s which is refreshing in such a stuffy industry. They’re walking a fine line that’s for sure, but I am cautiously optimistic that they won’t pimp themselves out the way Hublot did. Particularly with FHB departing

FBH was one of a kind…big personality, hip to culture, knew what levers to pull to virally grow the biz even if some choices were controversial

I’m really curious how new CEO will be in contrast…hope she goes on a podcast and YouTube run to introduce herself and how she’s planning to approach / her strategy

As a leader, i know she’ll want to leave her imprint on the brand. Hopefully not super conservative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 December 2023, 03:32 AM   #92
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Mic drop —> FE!N exit was so sick. FHB and AP really give 0 f***s which is refreshing in such a stuffy industry. They’re walking a fine line that’s for sure, but I am cautiously optimistic that they won’t pimp themselves out the way Hublot did. Particularly with FHB departing
yeah it's kind of a catch 22 where everyone in the industry is so conservative but at the same time people always complain that the younger generations don't care about watches. how do you appeal to them without doing something bold?

regardless of what travis is as a person, i think he was one of the most influential hip hop artists in the last few decades. people will hate because it's cool to hate on modern rap but his earlier music really was special and way ahead of its time. he has a huge following and a huge brand and this allows AP to bring awareness to their brand. even if none of his fans can afford this AP, they might now know what AP is and wanna buy something else
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2023, 03:34 AM   #93
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i hope you realize the entire first block of the lyrics you posted is drake, and it's not even from the same verse as travis' part?
It from the same song... it's the same energy... it was just the point why some people doesn't and can't releate to that... and most of time I'm kiding, I don't take things that serious... I know most companies for profit will colaborate with dictators and questionable political leaders so any celebrity is just a little puppie in that terms
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2023, 03:37 AM   #94
only1swami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
yeah it's kind of a catch 22 where everyone in the industry is so conservative but at the same time people always complain that the younger generations don't care about watches. how do you appeal to them without doing something bold?

regardless of what travis is as a person, i think he was one of the most influential hip hop artists in the last few decades. people will hate because it's cool to hate on modern rap but his earlier music really was special and way ahead of its time. he has a huge following and a huge brand and this allows AP to bring awareness to their brand. even if none of his fans can afford this AP, they might now know what AP is and wanna buy something else

Whole lotta young guns might have learned what a perpetual calendar was yesterday…or at least sparked their curiosity…this is the way

A content series or interview with Travis and his collection + FBH chopping it up would have been icing

Old 2 December 2023, 03:56 AM   #95
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
The party was acctually epic. Half people doesn't knowing how to act, actual CEO in signature turtleneck and CactusJack x AP hoodie over it, doing FHB OUT mic drop like he is late Kobe at retirement game, new CEO thinking that the new corporate world is not the same as P&G one.
I really want to see what Resta's first significant move is going to be. Few will agree with everything FHB has done, but no-one can claim that it was boring. I just hope the new CEO doesn't turn AP into a VC/PP/Rolex style corporate snoozefest.

Quote:
But as I always said, if holy trinity watches were heir of some kingdom, Vacheron would be introvert a little boring child, Patek would be obvious next in line loved by everyone, and AP would be the one that sniff white lines from a stomach of transgender hooker on some exotic location...
Still my favorite quote from you.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2023, 05:05 AM   #96
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I really want to see what Resta's first significant move is going to be. Few will agree with everything FHB has done, but no-one can claim that it was boring. I just hope the new CEO doesn't turn AP into a VC/PP/Rolex style corporate snoozefest.

Still my favorite quote from you.
Marvel and previous agreed colabs will continue. She will focus on women's collection probably by some platform like Porsche Shift... if you Google Porsche shift it will get you the shifters... add woman after and you can see what it is about... bringing dominant male brand to woman audience... worked for Porsche pretty well in a small market in my country...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2023, 07:08 AM   #97
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Marvel and previous agreed colabs will continue. She will focus on women's collection probably by some platform like Porsche Shift... if you Google Porsche shift it will get you the shifters... add woman after and you can see what it is about... bringing dominant male brand to woman audience... worked for Porsche pretty well in a small market in my country...
E.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-QfJr-3-Gc for those who don't want to Google for themselves. Sure, why not, although then we'll have people whining again when they can't 37mm and smaller ROs.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 2 December 2023, 11:16 AM   #98
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
But people or should I say enthusiast on watch, car, fashion, youname it forums doesn't represent and make more than few small percent of consumers. Same thing when some people get mad when I spoke facts that Porsche is a SUV company that also make some small number of great sport cars ... in a few years you can add electric to the SUV line...
This is not even debatable. Its what saved them financially.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2023, 12:58 PM   #99
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I’m not a hater, but wearing Cactus Jack shoes is one thing…..there’s really a clientele to pay $100k (plus) for a timepiece with a stitched smiley moon face and cactus jack day indicator? Not only do you have to be the .1% to afford this from the get go, but you’d also need to be the .1% of his fan base to wear something that’s marketing him that hard. Just seems crazy. This seems to me more like a 1/1 personal piece for him, not something anybody actually buys.

Those handwritten numerals come off as school childish to me as well, just weird to be on a high horology, openwork QP.
Totally agree! At first sight, I actually loved this piece with brown ceramic,etc. But then I started to notice the features you point out and felt that this is FHB trying too hard and in the process undermining one of the most impressive pieces in horology. Why a QP, and why an openworked QP??
Of the 0.1% of collectors who could have this, I’d be intrigued to know who amongst them would be okay with the strongly co-branded features. Instead, I’d be requesting my own personalized piece for that price.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2023, 02:25 PM   #100
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Totally agree! At first sight, I actually loved this piece with brown ceramic,etc. But then I started to notice the features you point out and felt that this is FHB trying too hard and in the process undermining one of the most impressive pieces in horology. Why a QP, and why an openworked QP??
Of the 0.1% of collectors who could have this, I’d be intrigued to know who amongst them would be okay with the strongly co-branded features. Instead, I’d be requesting my own personalized piece for that price.

My friend just got his today. He’s been dying for the black openworked QP and never got one. He’s a big supporter of hip hop so loves the collaboration. It’s a big sense of pride for him since it’s an African American collaboration with a historical Swiss brand - I’ll stop there.

Ultimately they’re only making 200 pieces, these will sell and I’m sure Travis has 100 friends that would / could buy this to support him.

It’s a fun collab and the details are small - you won’t be able to see at any distance except up close. For all intents and purposes it’s a shiny openworked brown ceramic QP to onlookers
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2023, 02:41 PM   #101
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
My friend just got his today. He’s been dying for the black openworked QP and never got one. He’s a big supporter of hip hop so loves the collaboration. It’s a big sense of pride for him since it’s an African American collaboration with a historical Swiss brand - I’ll stop there.

Ultimately they’re only making 200 pieces, these will sell and I’m sure Travis has 100 friends that would / could buy this to support him.

It’s a fun collab and the details are small - you won’t be able to see at any distance except up close. For all intents and purposes it’s a shiny openworked brown ceramic QP to onlookers
That’s interesting because as I was previously thinking/asking the question of who would go for this, I was imagining Scott’s friends might. Regardless, it’s true that these features are all subtle, so much so that even I didn’t notice them in the picture until I started scrutinizing it closely.
As far as hip hop collaborations, given this is the 50th anniversary which is a big deal to those of us who grew up with it for various reasons, Scott is not one of those who come to mind within the group of pioneers so this just felt as a lost opportunity by FHB/AP. But thankfully they didn’t position it as a celebration of the 50th anniversary (at least I hope not).
Ultimately, it’s a very nice AP and congratulations to those who will appropriately appreciate it.
Old 2 December 2023, 08:11 PM   #102
Napaswar
"TRF" Member

I do love this collab and it doesn't cheapen the brand at all. The target I can think of is the musicians, celebs, and new rich who may see luxury as fun and entertaining in different forms of design and material. I like all Travis collabs since he knows how to make the brand cool (luxury can be very cool to me) but not bring them too far.
Yeah, it's quite difficult for some aged collectors or classics to accept and keep bashing the brand it but we are living in different eras full of social media, AI, and full of dynamic cultures we haven't seen before.
Although I definitely don't get allocation, I still love the see this kind of fun approach from luxury brands.
Napaswar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2023, 11:45 PM   #103
rcwatchcollector
Banned

Cactus Jack (Travis Scott’s label) x AP Collab

Times change. You can scream at the clouds or just enjoy it all.

rcwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2023, 01:22 AM   #104
Palex
"TRF" Member

Cactus Jack (Travis Scott’s label) x AP Collab

Travis Who?

Just kidding, I like the collab, just like the dial of the regular more.
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2023, 02:06 AM   #105
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for sharing, well said.

Old 3 December 2023, 02:11 AM   #106
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex View Post
Travis Who?

Period.
Old 3 December 2023, 09:29 PM   #107
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

https://youtu.be/PvK0br_pgo0?si=4Ag-SnACqkLgF4iP

At around the 6:30 mark Francois discusses the collab
Old 4 December 2023, 08:53 AM   #108
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tr...cactus-jack-le

Quote:
For the occasion, the two brands also worked on a collection of clothing and accessories, including hoodies, T-shirts, jackets, pajamas, shorts, and caps, among others, sold exclusively online via shop.travisscott.com.

A part of the profits from the sale of this collection will be donated to a charity project or cause of Travis Scott's choice.
Does the ‘Cactus Jack’ limited edition (26585CM) have a price premium over the black ceramic Openworked Perpetual Calendar (26585CE), and is a portion of that also donated to a Travis Scott selected charity cause?
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 10:11 AM   #109
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tr...cactus-jack-le

Does the ‘Cactus Jack’ limited edition (26585CM) have a price premium over the black ceramic Openworked Perpetual Calendar (26585CE), and is a portion of that also donated to a Travis Scott selected charity cause?
How much is the black ceramic perpetual OW? Surely significantly less than the $200k price tag here.
Old 4 December 2023, 10:33 AM   #110
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How much is the black ceramic perpetual OW? Surely significantly less than the $200k price tag here.

It was CHF133k but that was in 2021 before the crazy hikes. So it’s probably in around the Cactus but it’s on full bracelet

Old 4 December 2023, 10:42 AM   #111
only1swami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was CHF133k but that was in 2021 before the crazy hikes. So it’s probably in around the Cactus but it’s on full bracelet

Confirmed same price as the travis piece, but comes with full bracelet

Old 4 December 2023, 11:29 AM   #112
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1swami View Post
Confirmed same price as the travis piece, but comes with full bracelet

Really? My understanding is that the full ceramic bracelet is a significant feature that I would expect to have valued this piece above the Cactus. Perhaps brown ceramic carries a higher premium.
Old 4 December 2023, 12:35 PM   #113
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The party was acctually epic. Half people doesn't knowing how to act, actual CEO in signature turtleneck and CactusJack x AP hoodie over it, doing FHB OUT mic drop like he is late Kobe at retirement game, new CEO thinking that the new corporate world is not the same as P&G one.

But as I always said, if holy trinity watches were heir of some kingdom, Vacheron would be introvert a little boring child, Patek would be obvious next in line loved by everyone, and AP would be the one that sniff white lines from a stomach of transgender hooker on some exotic location...
Maybe that’s why I have 0 VCs, minimal Pateks, and lots of APs
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 12:38 PM   #114
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Really? My understanding is that the full ceramic bracelet is a significant feature that I would expect to have valued this piece above the Cactus. Perhaps brown ceramic carries a higher premium.

Highway robbery if you ask me. A black ceramic bracelet runs like $25k. A rose gold buckle on a leather strap doesn’t even remotely bridge to that to make them even

Old 4 December 2023, 04:15 PM   #115
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Another trash release from AP. I am obviously priced out of it and will never be able to buy it from AP directly even if i wanted to, but i'm glad i can't. Colab with Travis Scott is super disappointing as I don't consider this rapper an artist or what he does music even.

Colors are too gimmicky, brown ceramic is ugly and does not match well with any type of clothes, the merch is horrible - total disaster.

I wonder why AP is not releasing any collab on the Code 11.59. I thought it was a brilliant design and a success and now has a great fanbase? Or perhaps they know it's a disgusting watch and know they won't be able to even sell 200 of them if they ever did it?
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 11:29 PM   #116
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex View Post
Travis Who?

Just kidding, I like the collab, just like the dial of the regular more.
:thumbs-up: incredible
Old 5 December 2023, 03:04 AM   #117
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
I wonder why AP is not releasing any collab on the Code 11.59. I thought it was a brilliant design and a success and now has a great fanbase? Or perhaps they know it's a disgusting watch and know they won't be able to even sell 200 of them if they ever did it?
This is an interesting and fair question. Why aren’t collabs being attempted with Codes?? That would be a ballsy move, and it may happen in the future. The case can be made that the Code is still too ‘young’ and developing momentum. I’m sure there’s plenty of other considerations.
Old 5 December 2023, 03:23 AM   #118
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Another trash release from AP. I am obviously priced out of it and will never be able to buy it from AP directly even if i wanted to, but i'm glad i can't. Colab with Travis Scott is super disappointing as I don't consider this rapper an artist or what he does music even.

Colors are too gimmicky, brown ceramic is ugly and does not match well with any type of clothes, the merch is horrible - total disaster.

While your rant was entirely predictable, the idea to have Code collaborations is quite interesting. I hope AP goes that direction under the new CEO, if they continue with various collaborations. Of course, there were the collaborations with Anita Porchet on the enamel dials, but that was very very limited production.

Chronopeace's Code piece unique is one of the best unique APs I have seen and also shows the potential of the Code for as a platform not just for complications, but also unique designs.
Old 5 December 2023, 04:45 AM   #119
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0cE2Rut...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Damn… registering directly to client. Sounds like that’s an insider/backdoor sale
Old 5 December 2023, 04:49 AM   #120
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0cE2Rut...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Damn… registering directly to client. Sounds like that’s an insider/backdoor sale
Crazy price but the watch is beautiful imo!