The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 2 March 2024, 12:51 AM   #31
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

I'm fuming after reading this. Your purchase history should absolutely land you a ceramic openwerks and gold jumbo. Your SA was a HUGE POS and milked you to maximize her bonus.

If you live anywhere near one of the new AP Houses, I recommend making an appointment and having a friendly sit down with one of the SAs and the House manager to review your purchase history as well as your horrible experience. The AP House doesn't play these games and they will deliver on your pieces. Many of the Boutiques have legacy SAs from their days as independent ADs who are truly self serving garbage human beings.
Old 2 March 2024, 01:26 AM   #32
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

What a bummer! With three CODE and Women's models you definitely have a lot of diversity in models.

I am wondering, if you sold any of the more desirable pieces in the two years - I know AP are pretty harsh on this, unless you give them and their managers a heads up before then. Seems like the sale of your Music edition could have triggered something (unless you got approval for it?)

Anyway, it seems you reached out to Ginny and Ilaria already - so suggest building a new relationship with a different boutique / AP house. If you did sell something, might be good to clear that one up with AP too.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 March 2024, 01:36 AM   #33
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

What a saddening read. OP - I’m sorry this happened to you and can’t imagine how angry/upset you are.

I appreciate you sharing your experience however, and I think a lot of members will have plenty to glean from it. I don’t know how you go back to the brand after this, but if you are set on doing so, I definitely echo others sentiments about getting in touch with AP house and telling your story.

Stories like this (and my core belief that talk is cheap) make me weary of this “journey” bs. Now, it’s not my money and I am not wealthy enough to play the game as long as you and many have (and frankly, even if I was substantially wealthier, I wouldn’t play ball).

I would also advise anyone else to not play “the game” (i’m defining that as buying pieces one may not like in hopes of getting something that they will). A couple of reasons:

1. Self respect - it’s flat out ridiculous that we not only beg SAs to take our dough, but happily oblige to buy pieces we don’t want. Putting on a smile and acting that I like certain pieces when I don’t, and opening up my proverbial checkbook for them. Can’t do it. I always like to imagine a hidden camera that you can later watch in these boutiques. I think there would be a lot of cringey moments there. I would not feel comfortable rationalizing this “journey” with my wife or kids.

2. Opportunity cost - not only did you spend a lot of time and ancillary dollars (travel, etc.), you dropped over $400k on many pieces that you didn’t even like. All you had was the SAs word (who has no loyalty to you and can cut you off at any point in time) that you would get the piece that you wanted. The most precious resource we have in this world is time. I’ll be damned if I’m wasting it trying to beg an SA to take my money. Additionally, in most cases like yours, you could have skipped the whole journey and gotten the piece you wanted to gray at a much lower cost basis.

Best of luck OP. I think if you sell your pieces you will make out just fine. I’d then go gray for a piece that I want or be done with the brand altogether. Would be tough wearing some thing that represents the brand on my wrist after what they’ve done if I were you.
Old 2 March 2024, 02:13 AM   #34
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you for sharing your story. One of the best reads on this forum lately.

I want to get RO 41 from AD myself but keep hearing about the journey and purchasing Code first from my AD...

I guess the moral of the story is - never buy watches you don't like.
Old 2 March 2024, 02:20 AM   #35
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Journey has a different meaning in French.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (58.1 KB, 535 views)
Old 2 March 2024, 02:23 AM   #36
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Hahaha most accurate definition I’ve read.
Old 2 March 2024, 02:35 AM   #37
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Revisiting this thread again (and again).

I still find it unfathomable that AP didn’t make this right after all the emails, calls, meetings, etc…

The OP handled it professionally and tried to do everything right from the purchases to trying to rectify this with the AP team. Why can’t AP take note and do the same?
Old 2 March 2024, 02:41 AM   #38
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Revisiting this thread again (and again).

I still find it unfathomable that AP didn’t make this right after all the emails, calls, meetings, etc…

The OP handled it professionally and tried to do everything right from the purchases to trying to rectify this with the AP team. Why can’t AP take note and do the same?
Because he is probably one of many. OP is humble enough to post this publicly, which will help protect others. I think most would stay silent.
Old 2 March 2024, 02:50 AM   #39
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post

Winner
Old 2 March 2024, 02:59 AM   #40
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I have been using the Vegas "Crystals" boutique for over 7 years since they were a JV boutique with Westime. I've had the same SA the entire time. My experience has been the complete opposite of yours. I've taken the journey, but always with pieces I ask for including sought after pieces like Jumbo, Ceramic Openwork, and RO QP. They've always taken really good care of me and the wife. Friends and family we referred were always taken care of with RO's as first allocations.

I know the boutique director well and this seems very out of character for him. Getting APNA and Switzerland approval for higher complication pieces like the QP is very much a reality. Once you get approved through that process, it opens up future allocation opportunities for difficult references. I don't believe that is a sales pitch thrown your way. It seems your original SA might be the crux of the problem. She shouldn't have been pushing pieces on you for the sake of the journey.
In terms of first contact (2018) and total spend my AP journey is not too different from OP, but beyond that there's no parallel at all. We always asked for and eventually received specific references, no BS whatsoever. The contrast is quite curious, and the SA certainly is one variable. If that's the case, AP should work harder for a more consistent (and enjoyable) experience.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
Old 2 March 2024, 03:58 AM   #41
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Sounds like Crystal Shops. My experience was I walked in there when the ceramic diver first came out.

Back then, there wasn’t insane hype. The SA showed me a SS diver.

I got back to my room at Four Seasons a few hours later, sent DavidSW a PM asking for a BNIB ceramic diver, he had one, I traded him a couple pieces for it and done. Had the watch a week later and I still have it and enjoy it.

Last couple times I went in there they had no inventory and nobody even talked to me.

Palazzo store in November they had almost nothing. Talked to the single SA in there and she more or less said I’d never get anything.

Time to call David!
Old 2 March 2024, 04:03 AM   #42
watchman124
"TRF" Member

I had a similar experience with a boutique and recently fired my SA and moved my profile to an AP House. Guy was clearly milking me with the journey nonsense and was sending me only what felt like was unsellable to others, some of which I bought for a time. It's been amazing since. Funny enough my old SA unfollowed me on social media and blocked me from his - when I was very cordial about the whole thing...much more than I should've been. Reading this post I wish I went to corporate as I have the texts/screenshots and everything of broken promises/rescinded watches/generally poor interactions and I smiled the entire time until I coudln't deal with it anymore. I just reached out to him and let him know I felt I could accomplish my collecting goals better at an AP House and that I'd be moving my primary profile there, but would be happy to stay connected. The whole unfollowing aspect showed their true colors. Now my current SA is amazing and is showing me all the pieces I dreamt of that my old SA was never even curious enough to ask about in terms of what I was looking for. Around $400k spend as well.
Old 2 March 2024, 04:10 AM   #43
Palex
"TRF" Member

I have never had the bad experiences I read here. I have never heard a word on buying something I don’t like.

My SA once stated: “It’s ok to decline on a watch!”, although I never did. Other side: I never ask something I don’t want, but If something is allocated that I requested, of course I buy it then (I think there are a lot of clients that shout they want a specific piece, but when push comes to shove, decline)

Only good stories here. It is a journey, but I like it so far!
Old 2 March 2024, 04:31 AM   #44
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

I am sorry. But I put the blame on the OP for letting it happen to him.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Old 2 March 2024, 05:06 AM   #45
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

OP as I posted earlier in this thread I'm disgusted by how you were treated by your previous SA. You stated "I became interested in getting a nice AP so I reached out to some members on the forum here back in 2017/2018", but your join date is Feb 2024 and you only have 11 posts. I'm a little confused here, thanks
Old 2 March 2024, 05:41 AM   #46
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonsxusfrt View Post
OP as I posted earlier in this thread I'm disgusted by how you were treated by your previous SA. You stated "I became interested in getting a nice AP so I reached out to some members on the forum here back in 2017/2018", but your join date is Feb 2024 and you only have 11 posts. I'm a little confused here, thanks
Appears to be a newly created account to make this post. Guessing the OP has been around and didn't want to out himself.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but the message is "don't buy a watch you won't enjoy." Even if that means going grey.
Old 2 March 2024, 05:43 AM   #47
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Yeah I have shared my story before with AP here. Nothing remotely close to that sort of spend but I didn't like the way they were handling prior customers. The whole brand changed literally in front of our own eyes over the past 5 years. Better for their bottom line, worse for normal, non-celebrity watch lovers. I sold my 26315 and said good bye now almost 2 years ago.

I still want a steel jumbo which has been my grail for nearly a decade but that will surely come from a grey dealer. Thankfully 15202st has been discontinued so I never have to deal with them directly (except for service).
Old 2 March 2024, 06:08 AM   #48
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
OP, I am so sorry this nonsense has happened to you! It seems this is common with the luxury brands, and if you are not known as a whale, you cannot get much that is desireable.

I started to buy AP when the AD was Westime. I bought two very nice models, A ROO in blue and gray ceramic and a RO QP blue dial in SS. I was thrilled. Then Westime lost their AD status and I was left in the lurch. No one was interested in talking to me about any other watches in AP. Whatever I bought and still owned was lost to history as far as AP was concerned and I had to start over as if I owned nothing.

This situation is on another level worst. A conniving SA got him to buy watches, he did not want, every quarter for over two years to boost her income and lie about what this would do for his ability to get the watch he really wanted. Then, out of the blue, she leaves AP's employment and local management make believe he has no history with a large spend and treats him disrespectfully.

This actually sounds a bit illegal as an unscrupulous business practice. At a minimum, it is an awful way to do business. It would definitely leave me not wanting another watch from AP ever. If I were the OP, I would raise hell with corporate so you can attempt to get one watch you actually wanted.

Best of luck to you.
Old 2 March 2024, 06:43 AM   #49
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
You stated "I became interested in getting a nice AP so I reached out to some members on the forum here back in 2017/2018", but your join date is Feb 2024 and you only have 11 posts. I'm a little confused here, thanks

Interesting. I didn't even catch that. It would be nice if the OP can clarify this a bit.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 2 March 2024, 06:45 AM   #50
rappvctrinity
"TRF" Member

He might very well be the few that has 3 codes. Wow. I want one but not 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
How does the Client Care Manager and North American CEO not remedy this situation ASAP?  Reading this makes the Shreve and Co Patek incident seem like small potatoes. It seems like the guy blew 400k and ended up with 3 Code 11:59s (Time Only, Chrono, PC) and a pair of cuff links (in a world where nobody wears suits) yet wasnt even offered a Jumbo which in my opinion would be just an ok allocation or a Ceramic piece which this type of purchase history really deserves. I’m not trying to pour salt in the guy’s wounds, but Does anyone on the planet own 3 Code 11:59s besides the OP? He should get an all expense paid trip to Le Brassus and an Ambassadorship just for that Hopefully an AP Nomad or somebody in Switzerland reads this and gets involved because this type of customer service is appalling.  It seems as if they can just blow off what looks like a potential 7 figure client when the watch market is already seeing a significant pullback  Please keep us updated as my fingers are crossed for you and hope there is happy resolution and appropriate incoming to this thread.  I own a 15202BC that I bought grey and love it but am so glad I didnt play this type of BS game.  Reading this has definitely soured me on the brand.
Old 2 March 2024, 06:45 AM   #51
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Wow what a sleuth. He obviously signed up with a snarky name and didn't begin his tenure here with a journey fail name.
Old 2 March 2024, 07:10 AM   #52
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Interesting. I didn't even catch that. It would be nice if the OP can clarify this a bit.
This account of his is obviously made to just post this as soon as he reached 10 posts limit. He's probably a vetted member who's been here for years and don't wanna be linked to his normal account
Old 2 March 2024, 07:12 AM   #53
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
I say name the SA. Post his/her photos. Just burn his career
Old 2 March 2024, 07:14 AM   #54
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
OP, I am so sorry this nonsense has happened to you! It seems this is common with the luxury brands, and if you are not known as a whale, you cannot get much that is desireable.
It seems there are quite a few people on here with similar spend to OP who got watches that most would call "desirable". OP striking out with old SA, new SA, boutique manager, NA CEO and client care manager seems a quite unfortunate sequence of events.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
Old 2 March 2024, 07:15 AM   #55
Gandor
"TRF" Member

What a lot of people don't realize is that time and relationship is just as, if not more, important than spend. There's no limit of millionaires when you only produce 50k watches per year. There's 15 other guys willing to outspend you any day of the week.

You spent 400k over 2 years during a time when every watch was above retail. The fact that you're jumping ship when you don't get your way kind of proves AP's point.

AP wants life long customers, not someone who does a hit and run in a bull market.

My advice is that you're a prime candidate for the Gray market.
Old 2 March 2024, 07:37 AM   #56
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akacoke View Post
This account of his is obviously made to just post this as soon as he reached 10 posts limit. He's probably a vetted member who's been here for years and don't wanna be linked to his normal account

I don't quite get that logic to be honest. If I had a bad experience and willing to call out a certain brand or boutique, I would absolutely use my normal account. If you were a vetted long time member, wouldn't that carry more weight in telling your story? If AP was monitoring these forums, they would figure out who he was anyways regardless of what user name he uses. Just a bit puzzling to me.

Maybe the OP can chime in and shed some light.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 2 March 2024, 07:44 AM   #57
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

My AP Las Vegas “Journey” - A Cautionary Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akacoke View Post

Not sure to what purpose as I am pretty sure AP could track down a customer based on the allocation history. Not to mention one that is probably the Single Customer in the world who bought THREE 11:59s.

Old 2 March 2024, 08:03 AM   #58
rappvctrinity
"TRF" Member

lol. they know exactly who he is. ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanS View Post
Single Customer in the world who bought THREE 11:59s.

Old 2 March 2024, 08:34 AM   #59
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't quite get that logic to be honest. If I had a bad experience and willing to call out a certain brand or boutique, I would absolutely use my normal account. If you were a vetted long time member, wouldn't that carry more weight in telling your story? If AP was monitoring these forums, they would figure out who he was anyways regardless of what user name he uses. Just a bit puzzling to me.

Maybe the OP can chime in and shed some light.

My thoughts.

Often there are more sides to a story…
Old 2 March 2024, 08:36 AM   #60
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rappvctrinity View Post
lol. they know exactly who he is. ha ha.

He won’t be for long. I can see myself owning 3 Codes. I own one, since a month and find myself wearing it more than my RO’s. Really loving it!
Closed Thread