The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 March 2019, 08:14 AM   #1
WiseRat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Help with my 6144 Oyster Royal

Hello all,
This is my first post on Rolex Forums, after having been a lurker for the better part of a year. I recently picked up this 6144 Oyster Royal (I think its from 1961 or 1951 based on the case serial number 78XXXX), but I have some questions that I hope you can help me with.

I noticed that the dial is missing the word "Swiss" below the 6, which to me implies that either the dial was refinished at some point, or was replaced. I did some digging, but I'm not coming up with much about why that text would be missing, even if it was refinished/reprinted.

The words "Shock-Resisting" is missing the "-" between the words, as I commonly see on other Oyster Royals. Again, this makes me think it might be a reprinted dial.

I opened the case, and found the caliber 710 15-jewel movement to be in good visual condition, but in need of a service. Its currently running +45 sec/day.

As this is my first vintage Rolex, any help that you can provide regarding the dial would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by WiseRat; 12 March 2019 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Spelling
WiseRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 11:54 PM   #2
Vlad
"TRF" Member

very cool watch. Yes, the dial is a redial, sorry. But the rest of the watch is gorgeous.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 03:29 AM   #3
WiseRat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
very cool watch. Yes, the dial is a redial, sorry. But the rest of the watch is gorgeous.
That's what I suspected. Thanks for your input!

Now I need to decide what to do with it. I can do a full service plus try to find a replacement dial, or just service it and leave the dial alone. My guess is the latter option is more realistic at this point.
WiseRat is offline   Reply With Quote