The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3 February 2016, 10:16 AM   #1
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
SS Yachtmaster II - There's more to this watch then meets the eye

I, like many on this forum had a adverse or negative first impression of the Yachtmaster II. I thought it was too big, too busy and too flashy. I didn't like the "YACHTMASTER II" on the bezel, I didn't like the fact it didn't have a date. I didn't like it had PCL's.

Odd, that I'm reviewing the watch now...

As my search for my next Rolex continued, having something out of the ordinary appealed to me. Seeing the YMII in members pictures on the wrist, suddenly the watch wasn't ugly to me. Then reading about the wrist presence and how it changed other peoples minds about got me intrigued. So I started reading about the watch and movement and almost universally, anyone who ultimately gave it a try developed a fondness for it, some even loved it.

Here's a brief list of things I'm really digging about the watch. The wrist presence. It has great presence, especially on the wrist. Sitting in a window display or in a case doesn't do it justice. Once on the wrist the size and color combination really bring out the scale of it. The colors also work really well together. It's not too much blue, like the smurf or pelagos but gives you that nice white dial with a ceramic blue bezel which looks great together with the PCL, and I believe is the only watch in this combination. The hands change from a bright blue to a black depending on the angle of light.

Then there's the heft/weight of the watch that you don't get the impression of in pictures. I can't imagine what this watch feels like as a PM model. It must be insane. I'm guessing the SS Yachtmaster II probably weights as much as a gold Sub or Daytona. What's also interesting is that even with the weight, it's very comfortable. It sits nice and flat on my 6.75 inch wrist and doesn't require the bracelet to be fitted tight for it to sit steady and flat. I could never do that with my 44mm Panerai's. If I didn't strap the Panerai on tight to the point of stopping blood, then the case would wobble on my wrist and hit the back of my hand to the point of soreness. Ask me how many panerai I own now....ZERO! Love the looks....hate the comfort...

OK, the Yachtmaster II has presence, looks really good and is comfortable but what about that stupid mechanical timer. Well, I discovered that the YMII movement is actually based on the 4130 aka Daytona. Obviously with some major tweaks, but the pushers are just buttery smooth. The fact that rotating the bezel is part of the engagement/setting of the timer is technically something pretty cool. Then we have the flyback capability. That's right the Daytona doesn't do that but the YMII does. Both the minute and seconds. While you can learn the steps to set the timer somewhere else (I won't get into it) what's cool for me, is that once the timer goes to zero and you stop it. You don't have to go through the whole process to set it again. One push and the timer goes back to 10 minutes or whatever time interval you were measuring. VERY COOL!

One other aspect I think is worth mentioning. No other company but Rolex would have developed a mechanical timer like this. Who would spend the resources and development on what seems like such a niche sport. Why a company who doesn't chase the trends, one who doesn't live and breadth by every quarterly profit statement, that's who.

Is my car and watch in balance (per the thread in the general forum)? Heck NO!!

2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote