The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 6 January 2019, 06:46 AM   #1
exarkun12
"TRF" Member

Sub 114060 doesn’t start automatically..help please

Hi all,

I just experienced a problem with my 3.5 years old Submariner 114060 and I hope some of you experts can help me out please.

The watch has not been used for a month or so and on Thursday I took it out from the safe and started winding it up. Strangely the watch doesn’t start automatically by winding the crown. I am 100% sure the watch is fully wound (i can hear the clutch slipping) and even after lightly shaking the watch, it still doesn’t start.

I pulled the crown to the setting position, pressed it back to winding position, still didn’t work. I did this the 2nd time to move the hands around, pressed the crown back to winding position and voila the watch started.

I proceeded to test the power reserve (4min short of 48 hours...I can accept that) and the timekeeping and both are fine. As the watch has stopped again after testing the power reserve, I proceeded to wind it up and encountered the same problem. The watch doesn’t start by winding.

Did the same by pulling the crown to setting position and pushing it back to winding position, and again the watch only started after the 2nd attempt.

What could be causing the problem? Is it because the watch hasn’t been used for awhile? Is this something I should send in to RSC immediately or it would be fine to continue using the watch until close to the end of the 5 year warranty?

Many thanks in advance!
exarkun12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 07:24 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is probably nothing wrong with your watch.

Mechanicals need to overcome a lot of different forces to begin ticking. It would be nice if they just started as if you turned on a switch, but that is not what happens in reality.
Old 6 January 2019, 07:38 AM   #3
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There is probably nothing wrong with your watch.

Mechanicals need to overcome a lot of different forces to begin ticking. It would be nice if they just started as if you turned on a switch, but that is not what happens in reality.

Yep. Lots going on. Not uncommon at all. I wouldn’t worry about it. If it’s keeping good time, keep on wearing it. U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 08:47 AM   #4
exarkun12
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys! Much appreciated!
exarkun12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 09:12 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exarkun12 View Post
Hi all,

I just experienced a problem with my 3.5 years old Submariner 114060 and I hope some of you experts can help me out please.

The watch has not been used for a month or so and on Thursday I took it out from the safe and started winding it up. Strangely the watch doesn’t start automatically by winding the crown. I am 100% sure the watch is fully wound (i can hear the clutch slipping) and even after lightly shaking the watch, it still doesn’t start.

I pulled the crown to the setting position, pressed it back to winding position, still didn’t work. I did this the 2nd time to move the hands around, pressed the crown back to winding position and voila the watch started.

I proceeded to test the power reserve (4min short of 48 hours...I can accept that) and the timekeeping and both are fine. As the watch has stopped again after testing the power reserve, I proceeded to wind it up and encountered the same problem. The watch doesn’t start by winding.

Did the same by pulling the crown to setting position and pushing it back to winding position, and again the watch only started after the 2nd attempt.

What could be causing the problem? Is it because the watch hasn’t been used for awhile? Is this something I should send in to RSC immediately or it would be fine to continue using the watch until close to the end of the 5 year warranty?

Many thanks in advance!
First there is no clutch in the in the spring-barrel when fully wound it just slips just like it would on the wrist when fully wound.And as others have said sometimes even after a wind they might need a swirl to get them going, and power reserve is around 48 hours give or take a hour or so either way.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 08:19 PM   #6
Muxi
"TRF" Member

This happened to my 116509 last December and it scared the c**p out of me.

The watch started running a few minutes slow too and would even stop for a few seconds until I shook it again. I synchonized the second hand with the chronograph to see if the second hand would still stop. It did but the chrono second hand stopped with it.

Finally, I fully wound the watch and adjusted the time again but this time, I let the hour hand go one entire revolution, then the bug stopped and the watch is working normally now. Zeroed to the Hodinkee app.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 09:54 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post
This happened to my 116509 last December and it scared the c**p out of me.

The watch started running a few minutes slow too and would even stop for a few seconds until I shook it again. I synchonized the second hand with the chronograph to see if the second hand would still stop. It did but the chrono second hand stopped with it.

Finally, I fully wound the watch and adjusted the time again but this time, I let the hour hand go one entire revolution, then the bug stopped and the watch is working normally now. Zeroed to the Hodinkee app.
You should never shake a Rolex to get it started always used the winding crown thats what its for,but after a wind if it does not start then a gentle swirl will get it moving.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 09:57 PM   #8
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Noted Sir, much appreciated.
Old 18 January 2019, 10:18 PM   #9
kzm40
"TRF" Member

My oldest Sub, 1680 red, always starts with just the slightest movement, my 16610 always takes quite a few winds to get going.
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 01:02 AM   #10
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Each watch has its own quirks. My 1995 DD36 is still working perfectly unserviced and unopened from new. Still keeps good time and solid power reserve. Also my 1993 Sub. So the 116509 unnerved me for a moment.
Old 19 January 2019, 06:00 AM   #11
Bigblu10
Banned

Swirl it like you would a glass of wine. Don't shake it violently! Sometimes the balance wheel needs a little helping hand.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote